Turkey Club Sandwich

Author
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
2004/09/01 14:36:24 (permalink)

Turkey Club Sandwich

I just wanted to say a few kind words about the Turkey Club Sandwich, one of my favorite sandwiches.

But my hidden agenda is to inquire of my Roadfood friends why so few restaurants are in my experience able to make these triple-deckers with any degree of competence — that is, with juicy slices of turkey, crisp white toast, thick bacon, ripe tomatoes, snappy iceberg lettuce leaves and Hellman's real mayo?

I've been served so many two-deckers with limp, barely toasted toast, awful packaged turkey slices, ham and cheese added without these having any business being on the sandwich, and rubbery, nasty veggies that I'm beginning to wonder if the proper assembly — indeed, even the basic construction plan— of the turkey club is a dying art among the short-order cooks of America.

- Rusty

9 Replies Related Threads

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 14:41:58 (permalink)
    Rusty, are you ordering these sandwiches from "chains" or roadfood-y places?

Because it seems attention to detail and quality is a dying art at least at your corner conglomerate...You'd be better off making it at home yourself (yeah, I know, not much fun) or ordering at a reputable mom & pop place that cares about the process...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 14:53:59 (permalink)
    Rusty,
    The sandwich you describe is a classic...and one that I love to order instead of a burger now and then. Unfortunatly it tends to be labor intensive as opposed to the 'Slam,Bam,Thank You Ma'am' School of Culinary Production. There are places that still care to produce a quality Club.
    A recipe I like uses Shredded Pork Butt BBQ, minus the sauce in place of the bacon. If you crisp up the shredded Pork The extra flavor of the smoke makes a great sandwich flavor.
    The last good one I can recall came from the Dixie Truck Stop in McLean IL. Big thick china plate, fries, and the triple-decker cut into quarters and each stuck with a large toothpick. It was outstanding!
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 16:08:29 (permalink)
    In my neck of the woods, if you stop by Viand (86th Street and 2nd Avenue in Manhattan), at any tiime of the day you can get a turkey sandwich with turkey that freshly off the bone. I've never gone the club sandwich route, though, so can't speak to the quality of bacon, etc. But, I suspect it'd be good.
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 16:34:17 (permalink)
    I should have stated upfront that I automatically exempt the Greater New York area — my old hometown — from my lament. There, a competently engineered turkey club is the norm, not the oddity, as it is in the culinary desert 800 miles to the west in which I now live. - Rusty
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 17:02:09 (permalink)
    Here in PA, any decent diner makes a good turkey club. My rule is, if they have good homemade soup, they'll probably have a good turkey club sandwich too. And if the menu says it's served with fries, forget it.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 18:18:54 (permalink)
    I too love a Turkey Club, and I'll even put up with the processed stuff, but on more than one occassion my sandwich has been served dry, and I've had to request mayonnaise and spread it myself onto the little triangle slices, which is a mess. What's up with that? Next time that happens, I'll be sending it back.

In my book, by definition, a turkey club is made with mayonnaise. Am I wrong?
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 18:43:51 (permalink)
    I recently experienced a particularly galling Turkey Club offense in a hotel in Cleveland: SMOKED Turkey! I mean commercial, processed smoked turkey. It was horrible! The bacon's got all the smoky flavor you need, right? I knew that I had been spoiled by living in New York, but I never imagined that it was to this great an extent.

And a Club without mayonnaise (even my favorite, a chicken salad club) is just wrong on so many levels. (At least three. groan.) Do they do turkey on those Cincinnati sandwiches? How are those?
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 20:16:23 (permalink)
    Hiram, they call them Double Deckers around Cincinnati although they have the 3 slices of bread that has us calling them triple deckers. TJ might be the best authority here, as I've only had a Double Decker at Blue Ash Chili. It was processed turkey, with lots and lots of bacon, and was cheap. Plenty filling, and isn't that what you want from a club sandwich. Actually turkey is just one of many Double Deckers available.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18254
    RE: Turkey Club Sandwich 2004/09/01 20:39:41 (permalink)
    For years, whenever I got stuck staying at a Holiday Inn I always ordered the Turkey Club because they couldn't mess it up as completely as they did everything else on the menu.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1