Turkeys

Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
2003/11/24 03:11:50 (permalink)

Turkeys

The other day I was faced with a choice between Tom and Hen and didn't know the difference. It's not like there's roe to worry about. What do you guys think?

What are the best brands?

What is the safest way to quickly thaw a stubborn frozen turkey?

Can't help myself....arghh...must say it...Let's talk turkey!!!

13 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 09:08:16 (permalink)
    I ain't a turkey expert but I know that Toms can weigh as much as twice that of a hen. White Toms can weigh as much as 45 pounds while white hens weigh only about 25.

I have an acquaintence that raises rare poultry. He indicated that the Red Bourbon free range turkey was the best tasting and considered the most beautiful?? of the turkeys.

The white turkey that most of us buy is considered an invalid and if it were not for the conditions they are raised in, would be extinct in just a few years as they cannot fend for themselves. They can barely walk. They are bread for their huge breast meat.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 11:27:00 (permalink)
    I've heard the fastest way to thaw is in a sink with cold water.

As for brands, I'd love to try free range turkeys but things get busy for me this time of year and I don't have the time to track down a reliable vendor, so I get the frozen ones at the store. My inner cooking snob makes me shy away from the ones that have that pop-up button.

Has anyone tried roasting a bird upright (a la Chicken on a Throne)?

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6903
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 12:27:08 (permalink)
    Elise, go to your local Costco and get the fresh Tom turkey, they aren't injected with broth or salt and are REALLY delicious (me who used to say turkey tastes like CARDBOARD) but these are awesome birds!!!! Sundancer is right about the breeding, they are raised in "apartments" and can barely walk. But I cooked a fresh turkey last year and it was the best ever. OHHHHH and the Turkey Soup afterwards, again, me who HATES turkey soup, it was to die for. Anybody want the general method of cooking such can contact me.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 12:38:27 (permalink)
    Llechef: Tell us about the turkey soup?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 13:03:20 (permalink)
    Here's what I did about the turkey soup: Of course take the turkey and rip all the meat off of it and SLOWLY simmer the carcass to get some nice stock. (I have a hard time with proportions, I'm sure you all can do this). To my nicely simmered stock I added chopped up turkey meat, some mixed vegetables from Costco (combo of lima beans, green beans, carrots, zucchini, summer squash and corn). At this point it was smellin' pretty much like turkey dinner. THEN I found a little bit of smashed white potatoes and plain turkey stuffing in the Frigidaire. Hmmmm....that could only enhance the thickining of this soup. THEN, THEN, I found the left over turkey gravy which I sloshed out of it's Tupperware container and into the soup. Well........I've NEVER liked turkey soup but this was to die for even if I have to admit that I made it. It was a total accident. Use some of those left over mashed and stuffing and gravy and you'll make a soup gonna knock your socks off!
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 13:32:24 (permalink)
    I read today in the paper that NC is the TOP turkey producer in the US... now...no coments about Jesse! Hope you all enjoy our turkeys!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 16:00:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Here's what I did about the turkey soup: Of course take the turkey and rip all the meat off of it and SLOWLY simmer the carcass to get some nice stock. (I have a hard time with proportions, I'm sure you all can do this). To my nicely simmered stock I added chopped up turkey meat, some mixed vegetables from Costco (combo of lima beans, green beans, carrots, zucchini, summer squash and corn). At this point it was smellin' pretty much like turkey dinner. THEN I found a little bit of smashed white potatoes and plain turkey stuffing in the Frigidaire. Hmmmm....that could only enhance the thickining of this soup. THEN, THEN, I found the left over turkey gravy which I sloshed out of it's Tupperware container and into the soup. Well........I've NEVER liked turkey soup but this was to die for even if I have to admit that I made it. It was a total accident. Use some of those left over mashed and stuffing and gravy and you'll make a soup gonna knock your socks off!

lleechef: I will guarantee you that I will do your version of turkey soup. I would have never thought about adding dressing and potatoes to the recipe. It picks up several nice spices that way. I may have to add a jalapeno if you don't mind

Thanks,
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 16:41:46 (permalink)
    Thanks! My mom is making the official turkey this year, but the grocery has some free turkey offer and they just keep throwing turkeys at me. I have 2 in the fridge right now. I think I'll make enchiladas. Next year we'll get the family turkey at Costco...sounds good. And those pop-up things freak me out too.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/24 16:48:08 (permalink)
    quote:

Any noodles?? This really does sound good!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/25 12:01:33 (permalink)
    Sundancer and Rusty, you can add anything you like to this soup! It was so good that SO and I were discussing our upcoming T-day meal and he said, "could you just make the soup and forget about the traditional meal?" To which I replied NO WAY, you'll have to wait until Friday for the soup. Hope you all try it and find it as delicious as we did!!
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/25 14:41:45 (permalink)
    lleechef,
    Sounds more like Turkey Dinner Stew than soup. Not that it wouldn't be delicious, whatever it was called. But I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be even better with some candied yams in there too? jm
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/25 14:56:46 (permalink)
    EXACTLY! It was like turkey dinner in a bowl! Throw those yams in there too! We just happened to eat all of ours on Turkey Day and didn't have any left for the soup! This year I'm making extra of everything!
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Turkeys 2003/11/25 16:37:55 (permalink)
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...that sounds heavenly. How many hours until Thanksgiving dinner????
    quote:

EXACTLY! It was like turkey dinner in a bowl! Throw those yams in there too! We just happened to eat all of ours on Turkey Day and didn't have any left for the soup! This year I'm making extra of everything!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1