Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum?

Author
rextaboogy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2005/05/18 11:49:55 (permalink)

Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum?

A few years ago a friend of mine took me to a Chinese restaurant somewhere in the Twin Cities, that served what he called Sunday Dim Sum. I always thought Dim Sum was just one dish, but this was a rolling buffet whereby the various dishes were wheeled around to each table.

My friend has since moved back to Malaysia, I lost contact with him, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the establishment or whether it was in Minnesapolis or St. Paul.

Anyone know of this place or its location?

Thanks
Rex

11 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/18 12:49:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rextaboogy

A few years ago a friend of mine took me to a Chinese restaurant somewhere in the Twin Cities, that served what he called Sunday Dim Sum. I always thought Dim Sum was just one dish, but this was a rolling buffet whereby the various dishes were wheeled around to each table.

My friend has since moved back to Malaysia, I lost contact with him, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the establishment or whether it was in Minnesapolis or St. Paul.

Anyone know of this place or its location?

Thanks
    Rex

Don't know the place but what you are describing is the standard way of serving dim sum. In Hong Kong and here in San Francisco they charge based on the number of plates you have accumulated on the table from the rolling cart. And the variety of foods that are considered, or can be served as, dim sum is huge. What most people enjoy is the opportunity to sample a little bit of this and a little bit of that and maybe some more of this (if they liked it) depending on what they see on the cart that looks good. You can spend hours socializing and eating in these places and that's what Asian families here often do on Sunday mornings especially.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/18 13:03:22 (permalink)
    Peking Garden, 2324 University Ave, SE in Dinkytown is very good.
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/18 13:05:19 (permalink)
    rextaboogy,

I think the place you are referring to is My Le Hoa, which is in Little Canada a northern suburb of St. Paul. It's just off Rice Street, north of Little Canada Road, in a strip mall.
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/18 19:25:51 (permalink)
    I had some good Dim Sum years ago in the Twin Cities with a group of Chinese students. We went there on the freeway, so it probably was not the one in Dinkytown.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/18 19:39:48 (permalink)
    Dim sum is fun and a great way to try various dishes for very little money. We went to a wonderful Chinese restaurant in Chandler, AZ, while living there and sat there for the longest time trying different things each time the carts rolled by, and ended up with a bill of about $35 for the four of us, which wasn't bad at all considering all that we had to eat and explore. About the only thing we didn't try were the chicken feet. Couldn't quite bring ourselves to be that adventurous!

Donna
    rextaboogy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/19 15:40:06 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone that replied. I believe the restaurant that I went was in a strip mall so it had to have been My Le Hoa. Either way I now have two to choose from. I just wish Duluth had a restaurant that served Sunday Dim Sum.

Thanks,
    Rex
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/19 16:22:27 (permalink)
    Since Dim Sum is a rather leisurely affair, most Chinese restaurants that I am familiar with do limit it to Sundays AND Saturdays. However, several places in the DC area have it every day, from late morning to early afternoon. And two of the Chinese restaurants that I have patronized in San Francisco have Dim Sum available every day, all day!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/05/19 19:18:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rbpalmer

Since Dim Sum is a rather leisurely affair, most Chinese restaurants that I am familiar with do limit it to Sundays AND Saturdays. However, several places in the DC area have it every day, from late morning to early afternoon. And two of the Chinese restaurants that I have patronized in San Francisco have Dim Sum available every day, all day!

I assume you are referring to Yank Sing which has a location close enough to the Financial District that it's a very popular midweek lunch spot for office workers. Out on Clement there are dim sum take-out places that only have dim sum but they have it all the time.
    bclintonk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/06/26 03:18:31 (permalink)
    Try "Yummy" restaurant around 26th on Nicollet in South Minneapolis. Best dim sum in the Twin Cities. It's not NYC or San Francisco, but about as good as you'll get anywhere else in the US.
    aharste
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2005/07/14 16:53:40 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if any Twin Cities restaurants serve weekday dim sum besides Yummy?
    dbrandon
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Twin Cities Sunday Dim Sum? 2006/12/27 13:52:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aharste

Does anyone know if any Twin Cities restaurants serve weekday dim sum besides Yummy?

aharste may or may not still be here, but if so the fairly new Jun Bo on the corner of Nicollet Avenue South and 494 in Richfield fits the bill. Some reviews online were a little mixed, but I ate there last week, and had fabulous Friday night dim sum. I think our table of four tried about a dozen different offerings altogether, passing on at least that many others. Supposedly, on Sunday they pull out all the stops and offer something like 80 different things on the carts. They've also got a large "standard" menu.

Dan B,
    thoroughly dumpled.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1