Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bun!

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
2012/05/04 03:42:27 (permalink)

Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bun!

Happy Birthday, Big Mac!!!
The Big Mac was introduced at McDonald's today in 1968!
Who ever can guess the original price of a Big Mac back in 1968 wins a Grand Prize!
You guessed it---- A Big Mac!!!!!
Approximately 550 MILLION are sold every year!!" />
Over 47 BILLION!!! Have been sold since 1968!!
How many cows have been butchered to produce that many burgers???

19 Replies Related Threads

cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1642
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/04 05:17:28 (permalink)
    $0.79?
    jajarino68
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/04 08:21:28 (permalink)
    $0.34?
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/04 09:15:52 (permalink)
    49 cents
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 436
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/04 12:34:35 (permalink)
    Tried a few Big Macs over the past 40+ years, but never have cared much for them - it keeps repeating on me all day.  Now Burger Chef's Big Chef was a whole different matter - Far superior.  Guess the best (quality) doesn't always win out.

On a side note, I recall the Fillet of Fish being introduced at 19 cents.  That was likely a special introductory because if I recall correctly, it quickly went up to 29 cents.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/04 15:44:54 (permalink)
    6star
    49 cents

CONGRATULATIONS 6 STAR!!!
    YOU'RE THE BIG WINNER!!
    Take forty nine cents + a few more dollars and go buy yourself a Big Mac!!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/04 21:27:30 (permalink)
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are so kind!  Since, in May 1968 I was 33 years old, I may very well have bought a Big Mac then, though I really doubt it.  The popular hamburger here in Peoria was from Sandy's (their first store opened in Peoria in 1958), which later became Hardee's.  Long gone are those days.   http://www.captainerniesshowboat.com/sandys 
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1050
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/05 07:38:56 (permalink)
    I would have said 35 cents.......hey, what happened to the cent symbol on the keyboard? " />
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/05 08:12:27 (permalink)
    6star

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are so kind!  Since, in May 1968 I was 33 years old, I may very well have bought a Big Mac then, though I really doubt it.  The popular hamburger here in Peoria was from Sandy's (their first store opened in Peoria in 1958), which later became Hardee's.  Long gone are those days.   http://www.captainerniesshowboat.com/sandys 

The competition in the N. Ill area was quite intensive back then, as McD's deserters were setting up their own franchises (Geri's).  With Kroch starting to expand from his new HQ in Schaumburg, Ill it stood to reason that this are was going to be home to some of the early new franchise startups.   It was prime ground for the franchise owners and starters back then as they had the regional backing.  Some are quite large now, not known by name but have the foothold in franchise ownership from early on.   Just a bit West is home of Broaster Chicken in Beloit, and of coarse as mentioned above Sandy's.  Arthur Treacher's fish and chips was taken over by Sandy's in our town, I always liked their fish and chips offerings.  We were very early in our small town to have a KFC, back then owned by the same franchiser as McD's.  So not sure if the midwest was home to a lot of fast food franchises, but it sure was in my book.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/05 16:39:54 (permalink)
    ChrisOC
    I would have said 35 cents.......hey, what happened to the cent symbol on the keyboard? " />

No more messing around with small change I guess.
    I predict that sometime in the future, we'll be dealing in paper money only and the Dollar will be the smallest denomination available.
    Think of how much can be saved without minting coins!
    Then your collection will really be worth something.
    It costs 3 cents to make a penny!
    That's Government work for ya!
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/05 20:33:55 (permalink)
    Foodbme

And ground beef contained ammoniated scraps!
    That's private industry for ya!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8386
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/05 21:14:28 (permalink)
    ¢¢¢¢¢  alt+155 gives you the ¢ sign.
    My mother loves Big Macs.  She takes out the middle piece of bread because of the extra calories.  She eats the burger and then eats that piece of middle bun.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2783
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/05 22:01:04 (permalink)
    Bun seed sesame a on onions pickles cheese lettuce sauce special patties beef all two.

I could recite that in under 10 seconds when I was in high school.  I ended up with a pocket full of free Big Mac coupons because of it.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/06 02:12:09 (permalink)

Foodbme

And ground beef contained ammoniated scraps!
    That's private industry for ya!

AND the company that processed it made a PROFIT, a word the government loathes and doesn't understand! Everyone's been eating the stuff for years with no ill effects and were fat & happy doing so. That is until some do-gooder caused a panic, the pinko media created a frenzy and the self righteous bureaucrats in USDA threw the company under the bus. Now they're in Bankruptcy, their employees are laid off and all the wackos are dancing in a circle congratulating each other on what wonderful thing they did.
    There's an article in the June 2012 Issue of Readers Digest, Page 154, titled "Overreaction Nation"-'Nothing is too insignificant to get us all worked up'.
    Examples:
    1. Kid tinkles in a reservoir in Portland OR - They drain 8 Million Gallons of water & empty the reservoir! Nevermind what the fish do in there!
    2. Applebees's accidently serves one drink to a Kid out of the million drinks they serve annually. Media attacks - Parents sue. Granted, not good, but does it require National Media attention?
    3. A single peanut is spotted on a school bus in MA. Bus is evacuated while Driver throws it away. All over local TV Stations!
    4. High School in VA gives a boy 1/2 year suspension for launching spit wad. School said," Assault is assault is assault"!  I guess they did that because they couldn't paddle him or they would be sued and put on National TV.
    We have WAY TO MANY people in the Media with nothing to do. That includes Sportscasters too.
    Don't get me started!
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 436
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/06 11:21:59 (permalink)
    Foodbme

ChrisOC

No more messing around with small change I guess.
    I predict that sometime in the future, we'll be dealing in paper money only and the Dollar will be the smallest denomination available.

Ever notice how most everything at the grocery stores are now priced X.99...    Could easily all be rounded off to a dollar.
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/06 11:39:50 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    AND the company that processed it made a PROFIT, a word the government loathes and doesn't understand! Everyone's been eating the stuff for years with no ill effects and were fat & happy doing so. That is until some do-gooder caused a panic, the pinko media created a frenzy and the self righteous bureaucrats in USDA threw the company under the bus. Now they're in Bankruptcy, their employees are laid off and all the wackos are dancing in a circle congratulating each other on what wonderful thing they did.

Yeah, don't you just hate it when a company makes a profit by scamming the public,
    gets caught, and goes out of business? I don't get it! If a company is making a profit, that should be the end of the discussion, right? What's more important than profit in this world?

Edit to add: You do understand, Foodbme, that when you threw in your gratuitous comment about the government and pennies, you started this thread down the road to getting locked? Why do you guys persist in this? Why not just lay off this stuff on Roadfood?
    post edited by Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle - 2012/05/06 11:44:25
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/06 13:28:37 (permalink)
    The word "big" in the name should give everybody a clue.
    The "Big Mac" was a rip-off of the original and far superior double deck hamburger, the Big Boy.
    The Big Boy special sauce was so special, it was different when you crossed state lines.  For my money, the best was Elias Brothers' thousand islands sauce - especially compared to the pukey tartar sauce fish goo Frisch's used across the line in Ohio.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/06 15:10:08 (permalink)
    While I never cared for the Big Boy, I did like the Shoney Burger at the Shoney's Big Boys in West Virginia, and they used the same sauce as for their Big Boy.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/05/16 11:44:58 (permalink)
    I vaguely remember a jingle when it was first introduced, with a line like "will it be a boy or a grill?"

I've passed the giant Big Mac many times in Irwin, PA going to my in-laws.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    Re:Two All-Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On Sesame Seed Bu 2012/06/04 18:03:12 (permalink)
    Yes, ye haters of the almighty "Big Mac", I love them! My grandgirls bypassed the Happy Meal and went straight to Big Mac's when they tasted min. I have to have my Big Mac fix at least once a week!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1