Two Great New England Burger Joints

Author
MikoEats
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
2004/08/09 23:51:03 (permalink)

Two Great New England Burger Joints

Well, I just moved from CT to Portsmouth, NH. As I was taking my moving helpers home yesterday, we got a craving for a really good summer cheeseburger. Got off the highway and drove into Newburyport, just looking for a spot that might serve a good burger. I knew it as soon as I saw it -- a straight-up, simple, old-fashioned lunch counter with tall red swivel stools and cool Coca-Colas in red plastic tumblers. The place was called, simply, "Angie's Food". We ordered cheeseburgers and they were just fantastic -- everything perfect -- big irregular shape burger, nice toasty roll, crispy cold lettuce, juicy tomato, melty cheese. Just a perfect, ideal burger.

I would say it's the best burger in New England, except that I know Penny Lane Pub in Old Saybrook, CT, is giving them a run for their money. Penny Lane is a bit more, um, upscale, but they have a very large burger on a seeded roll that's made with exceptionally juicy and flavorful beef.

So you'll just have to try 'em both!

5 Replies Related Threads

DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Two Great New England Burger Joints 2004/08/18 14:33:30 (permalink)
    AnnieOakley, check out my pictures on this forum post:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3815
    Head straight up Rt. 1 to York,ME for Wild Willy's Burgers.
    Home cut french fries,burgers, and milk shakes are a part of this simple menu.
    Owner Steve Williams believes in simple concepts-this place serves only flame grilled burgers and an odd grilled chicken breast, but nothing else.
    Steve Williams is also a partner in a Portland,ME downtown restaurant (in Monument Square)called Henry VIII, which serves nothing but sliced roast beef sandwich variations-again simple, but effective and mighty tasty. The roast beef is sliced by hand.
    By heading up Rt. 1, you will drive by several Roadfood favorites, including Flo's Hot Dogs, Stonewall Kitchen, and Bob's Clam Hut. (see their reviews by searching under ME).
    Lucky Bishop has already posted in a forum, and Heather (wife) and I also recommend The Friendly Toast for breakfast, right there in Portsmouth's Market Square.
    Also highly recommended are Gilley's Lunch Wagon-nice homemade burgers, and the Portsmouth Brewery.
    Personally, I love Portsmouth and tried to move there myself several years ago, but the housing prices were ridiculous.
    Good eatin' DaveM
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Two Great New England Burger Joints 2004/08/19 08:57:39 (permalink)
    I have passed by Angie's food many times and never stopped by. Usually too stuffed with fried clams down in Essex and a couple of Donuts from Marty's in Ipswich by the time I get there.
    hungrygirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Two Great New England Burger Joints 2004/08/19 09:40:33 (permalink)
    Angie's has the best breakfast in Newburyport! It's a very local place, but definitely not to be missed. I've never been there for lunch (we usually go to Michael's on the water), but the burgers sound great!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Two Great New England Burger Joints 2004/08/19 23:23:04 (permalink)
    quote:

Head straight up Rt. 1 to York,ME for Wild Willy's Burgers.
    Home cut french fries,burgers, and milk shakes are a part of this simple menu.

I am heading up that way on Saturday...can't wait to try this place out. Driven by many times...but usually had a hankering' for Flo's...which is just up the road.
    MikoEats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Two Great New England Burger Joints 2004/08/31 21:01:45 (permalink)
    Wow -- lots of good tips in there. I did discover Gilley's right off the bat, since I came into town late on Sunday and they were the only ones serving! There are a lot of wonderful restaurants here in town. Dave M, you might want to check back sometime on housing -- the market seems to be dropping. I'm renting, but people warned me I'd have a terrible time finding a place, and I really didn't - there were a lot of choices. The owners all seemed to feel the market has softened.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1