Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states!

Author
lennonlover2005
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 62
2007/05/10 23:43:04 (permalink)

Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states!

" />" />

As I was watching the newest episode of Food Network's 'Diners, drive-ins and Dives" I saw the host pull up to a cool drive in located in Charlotte NORTH CAROLINA. They make great burgers, corn dogs, pimento cheese sandwiches and have been given rave reviews from Creatve Loafing. So I came here to Roadfood and saw a photo of another Penquin Drive in located in Manitowac WISCONSIN...the Sterns have the wrong website listed for the Wisconsin Penquin Drive in.

The NORTH CAROLINA PENQUIN DRIVE IN web site is

http://www.penguindrivein.com/

Look for a black penquin with a white background and red lettering.Here is their menu

http://www.penguindrivein.com/menu.htm

They have southern things on it like grilled banana and peanut butter sanwiches, corn dogs,and fried bolonga, fried pickles.

They also have burgers, pimento cheese sandwiches.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/3CG7oBD_k85M8jJ_JlhL-A

I tried to find a web site for the Wisconsin Penquin Drive In but all I could find is their address and a review by Jane and Michael Stern.

Penguin Drive In Restaurant
3900 Calumet Avenue, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
920-684-6403

"Expect your tray to run rivulets of butter even after the carhop latches it to the window. Virtually every charcoal-grilled sandwich the Penguin sells is extremely well buttered — and that includes hamburgers and spicy bratwurst. Brats, which are the locally beloved sausage links, are available as singles or doubles (the preferred configuration). For a double, two four-inchers with wicked char marks on their crackling-crisp skin are split and stuffed into a rugged-crusted hard roll. Order a double brat with everything, and the sausages are smothered with ketchup, diced onions, and a couple of pickle slices. To accompany this luscious package, the Penguin offers deep-fried cheese curds (another Northland passion); and for dessert, there is superb freshly made custard."

According to this site, this Penquin Drive(WISCONSIN) in was closed in late 2006 due to a health inspection.

http://roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/midwest/mweats/mwdriveineats/index.htm

I hope this clears up any confusion!

7 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states! 2007/05/11 07:54:47 (permalink)
    Yumm, The Penquin!
    I'll check with a friend that lives in nearby Denmark but the Penguin should be open. I am talking Manitowoc here. Make sure you stop at nearby Van's Liquor and pick up a collection of The Happpy Schnapp's Combo's CD's. They are a hilarious alt-polka band.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10085
    RE: Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states! 2007/05/11 08:18:00 (permalink)
    I've been to the Penguin in Manitowoc and had a fine tasting brat. I hope the closing is only temporary.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states! 2007/05/13 17:26:50 (permalink)
    My friend in Manitowoc confirmed that the Penquin is closed and sports a for sale sign. IMHO, any Roadfooder in the area should stop at Basil's II in Fontenoy. Amazing Roadfood sandwiches.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3286
    RE: Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states! 2007/05/13 20:50:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers The Happy Schnapp's Combo. They are a hilarious alt-polka band.

Stricken Detective/Chicagostyledog, Brad Olson
    MilwFoodlovers, Gov Doyle, Big Ugly Mich
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states! 2007/05/13 22:52:43 (permalink)
    Damn Allen Funt!
    ennajean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states! 2008/07/05 20:56:44 (permalink)
    The Penquin in Manitowoc is again open for business. Was opened a few months ago.
    BarenakedChef
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Two Penquin Drive-Ins in Two Different states! 2008/07/07 20:54:01 (permalink)
    Fried pickles at the Penguin in Charlotte...heavenly!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1