Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon

Author
karilyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
2014/08/03 12:06:57 (permalink)

Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon

Looking for suggestions . . . food of course, but other suggestions are wlecome! Definitely going to Crater Lake National Park. THANKS!

24 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/03 12:29:42 (permalink)
    There's nothing here except donuts and beer. Personally, I'd go to Connecticut.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/03 12:56:19 (permalink)
    karilyn
    Can't give you any recommendations........gotta leave that up to bb, wj and pnwchef and others.  But I hope you have a great trip!  Loved chatting with you in Cincy!

karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/03 18:53:27 (permalink)
    I would have thought more wine than beer . . . but maybe that's just west of the Cascades. I'll take the donuts though! I was hoping the 2014 Roadfood Bus Tour destination was in Portland.
    karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/03 18:55:39 (permalink)
    I'm sure they'll weigh in and I'm looking forward to their input. Yes, Linda and I enjoyed your company in Cincy! I actually was back two more times after that for family events. Happy Summer!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10379
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/03 19:45:36 (permalink)
    Sorry Karilyn, I have never been to that area before.  On both of my visits to Crater National Park, we came from I-5.  Maybe mr chips can help.  I think he is originally from the area.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/03 22:48:06 (permalink)
    Nope.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/03 23:43:21 (permalink)
    Hi Karilyn,
    Yes, I wish the Tour was in Portland too. It's closer for me than Cincy was. I've never been to Bend, but did see that McMenamin's has a location there so I'll throw my 2 cents in. McMenamins has several location in Oregon, all unique. The one in Bend seems to have been built from an old school and even has lodging. I've always been pleased with their food. I looked at my photos from one of the McMenamin's I've been to (I've been to three) and they are not the best shots, so all I can say is check the McMenamin's website

Ed

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 01:18:41 (permalink)
    There are a number of Black Bear Diners up that way.
    The ones here in AZ are pretty good.
    http://blackbeardiner.com/location/
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7890
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 08:06:11 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

Bill,

Really, seriously????
    If you responded that way to anyone else, I would have ignored it.
    But to Karilyn????? Come on
    Thats just obnoxious.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 10:46:43 (permalink)
    wj
    Ditto.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 11:53:54 (permalink)
    I had hoped to offer recommendations from our 2011 trip, but we apparently did not get food anywhere within two hours of Bend. Our three wonderful stops were all much further away. I hope you find delicious things!
    karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 13:23:33 (permalink)
    Thank you everyone!

ED - I've been to McMenamin's and it's great; both the one in Bend and one near Salem. I may go back.

WJ / LLEECHEF - I feel the love. Thanks!

I'm tempted to go over the Cascades to go back to Local Ocean Seafoods in Newport. I went a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of our trip. I had forgotten about it until it was posted on the homepage recently. It would be worth the drive!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 14:09:43 (permalink)
    Bend, Central Oregon ...

A challenge, but not insurmountable.

First of all in that neck of the woods, the locals are kind of accustomed to grading on a curve ... "such and such a place is 'not bad'" is a rave review for a restaurant in that area.

That said ...

In my many days in the region I have a few 'observations' of 'not bad' places.

IF you can get into Sisters, head west to Camp Sherman Store and order a custom made sandwich from the deli ... stop at the Sisters Bakery on Hood Avenue (the main drag) and get their jalapeno bread sticks ... don't worry, they are not spicy.   Don't waste your brake pads on anything else there (unless you are in a mood for wine, at which point you should visit The Open Door Gallery ...you might think you are in SoCal, but still friendly and nice.)

Pick up a free copy of The Sisters Nugget newspaper ... a super small town paper.  Usually great events there ... maybe look the paper up in advance: http://www.nuggetnews.com/

Now, back to Bend ... now you will find a lot of places, many new, many ok, many 'not bad' ...

The D&D Cafe ... is one of three downtown Bend restaurant/taverns open for beer, bloody marys and breakfast ... all are viable ... The D&D is my favorite (I'm told it is still good, even after the lady who owned it since 'forever' sold it last year ... heavy tavern food (that I worry might be way to heavy for someone as petite as you) ... but I've seldom looked down the menu at their offerings other that the "Chicken Fried ..." section.  Many women eat there ... and if you like a bloody mary, ask for the veggy infused vodka.  The D&D has my default place since the days when horses were literally parked out front.  NOT a fern bar :-) ... the kind of a place where you might be sitting next to an actual cowboy :-)

I was in Sisters last month with relatives and the 'let's go out to eat' thing came up!!!  Any RF'r DREADS the 'crowd mentality' thing that usually makes us wind up eating with family at an Olive Garden-esque place ... I was hearing about the 'not bad' places in Sisters and I PUT MY FOOT DOWN ... and dispatched us all to Bend, past this, taken on my iPhone during the visit:

to the Pine Tavern ... the kind of a place where you can sit outside by the river and have have a half sandwich and soup and a decent glass of wine ... this is my go-to place for dates or lunch with mom http://www.pinetavern.com/  ... no cowboys there though.

Also in downtown Bend ...

You don't have much time ... but if you need to go more mainstream, there is this:  http://www.mcmenamins.com...ld-st-francis-pub-home

Pizza Mondo ... ok, but have your pizza back home.

Powell's Sweet Shoppe ... worth the stop.

Greenwood Market ... no idea why you'd go there, but for the record, it is a good food store.

There is an Original Pancake House in both Bend and Redmond.

Pilot Butte Drive In ... better than McDonald's.

And, beyond that, I'll keep my thinking cap on.

Lemme know how you do?

post edited by wheregreggeats.com - 2014/08/04 14:11:47
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10379
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 14:23:22 (permalink)
    This local blog may be of some help.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 14:59:02 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    This local blog may be of some help.

Thanks Cliff.  I'm bookmarking that one.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 16:13:09 (permalink)
    karilyn

I'm tempted to go over the Cascades to go back to Local Ocean Seafoods in Newport. I went a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of our trip. I had forgotten about it until it was posted on the homepage recently. It would be worth the drive!

If you do go to Newport and you like oysters, do the 10 minute drive on Yaquina Bay Road to Oregon Oyster Farms.

It's really neat-----they literally get the oyster from right next to the shop.

As you can see, they go through a lot of oysters!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 17:00:40 (permalink)
    Wowee!!  My kinda place!!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/04 21:39:12 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    1bbqboy

Bill,

Really, seriously????
    Thats just obnoxious.
    that's not my quote, that's a direct quote from a poster on another thread. I have no idea who Karilyn is, but since you say so I will work up a plan and post it tomorrow when I get to a computer. I too wish any get together was closer than 2500 miles away. Forgive my cynicism and smart ass nature. I'm dealing with some serious health issues and am frankly fed up with everyone and everything.
    And I'm not that fond of Black Bear diner.
    Do you like wine, beer, waterfalls, and
    Mountains, Karilyn? Are you driving from Portland? Flying into Bend?
    Givr me a clue. I'm in Ashland on the other side of the Cascades.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/05 00:47:14 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    wanderingjew
    1bbqboy

Bill,

Really, seriously????
    Thats just obnoxious.
    that's not my quote, that's a direct quote from a poster on another thread. I have no idea who Karilyn is, but since you say so I will work up a plan and post it tomorrow when I get to a computer. I too wish any get together was closer than 2500 miles away. Forgive my cynicism and smart ass nature. I'm dealing with some serious health issues and am frankly fed up with everyone and everything.
    And I'm not that fond of Black Bear diner.
    Do you like wine, beer, waterfalls, and
    Mountains, Karilyn? Are you driving from Portland? Flying into Bend?
    Givr me a clue. I'm in Ashland on the other side of the Cascades.

Ashland OR--------- Famous as the "Home of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers" AND The Bathroom Readers Institute!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/05 01:29:13 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    Ashland OR--------- Famous as the "Home of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers" AND The Bathroom Readers Institute!

At one point in my life, I had an original copy of Uncle John's. I also had virtually everything in it memorized!
    " />
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2452
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/05 13:19:18 (permalink)
    If you feel the cool winds of the ocean calling, go here. This is 4 hrs from Bend, it will be one hr from me in Sept and Oct. Bend has a wonderful downtown, you will find some good restaurants there. Ask the locals in town, they know best.

Otis Cafe1259 Salmon River Hwy. 
    Otis, OR 97368
    otiscafe@live.comOr give us a call at (541) 994-2813.
    Hours
    Open 7:00:AM Daily
    Closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter Sunday

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/05 16:03:22 (permalink)
    Camp Polk Cemetery:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/deadmantalking/sets/72157600339160836/
     ... some guy took these pictures

I see myself scattered there someday...
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/05 16:49:56 (permalink)
    EdSails
    Foodbme

At one point in my life, I had an original copy of Uncle John's. I also had virtually everything in it memorized!
    " />

That guy is one of my best and longest customers.
    karilyn
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Two hours or less from Sunriver/Bend Oregon 2014/08/05 19:49:08 (permalink)
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

I've driven the entire coast of Oregon . . . Otis Cafe is one of my favorite spots! I signed the guest book numerous times and since our family vacationed in Otis, MA, I bought a bunch of their merchandise too. The cinnamon bun french toast was amazing! We ate salmon every chance we got . . . crab too. Only thing that we didn't like were the razor clams . . . we're more comfortable with the much smaller New England variety.

I'm staying on the east side of the Cascades. I'm flying to Portland and then on to Bend. The longest drive will be to Crater Lake.

I love the Cemetery . . . I put that on my list! Black Bear Diner, Powell's Sweet Shoppe and Versante Pizza too.

I hope to get on the Deschutes River and paddle and do some hiking as well.

I am technologically challenged . . . can't even figure out how to bold portions of the text . . . so I can't promise photos. I don't own a laptop, tablet or smartphone -- I'm vintage, old school! But I'll try to put something on here after I get back.

I don't think it has been posted . . . but, our next New England Monthly Meet Up is Sunday, August 31st. Paul is working on our itinerary and so far myself, WJ, Ayersian, Yvel and hopefully Beth will be joining Paul . . . plenty of room for more!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1