Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Two to try in Michigan

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 60
Wistah

• Total Posts: 205
Two to try in Michigan Tue, 09/16/03 7:44 PM (permalink)
I grew up in SE Michigan, and returned recently for a visit. I rediscovered two of my favorite burger joints.

Krazy Jims Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor is incredible. They had not changed a bit in the 20 plus years since I had last eaten there. They fry up little "sliders" on the grill (1/10 pound each), and then they put 2,3,4, or 5 of them on a full size bun. So you order a "double", a "triple", "quad", or "quint".

Then they have an amazing array of toppings, bacon, fried egg, fried salami, different cheeses, etc, and your choice of roll.

Then in the Detroit area is Travis, a coffe shop in St Clair Shores. They used to be a small chain, don't know if any others exist now. Great little sliders, again this place hasn't changed in 30 years that I know of.

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
    RE: Two to try in Michigan Wed, 10/8/03 1:47 AM (permalink)
    Wistah writes:

>>Then in the Detroit area is Travis, a coffe shop in St Clair Shores. They used to be a small chain, don't know if any others exist now. Great little sliders, again this place hasn't changed in 30 years that I know of.<<

Travis is a fixture and a classic. Good call.

There are several places in the Detroit area where you can get similarly tasty little morsels: Hunter House in Birmingham, Telway, Bray's in Hazel Park, and my personal favorite, Geneva Burger. Best consumed while slightly intoxicated, these are the best sliders I've ever had...anywhere. Grilled onions and a greasy burger on a steamed bun...absolute perfection at Geneva. No one does it better.

Have you ever had Halo Burger (just north of Flint)?

I'll be sure to try Krazy Jim's next time in Ann Arbor...it sounds fantastic.

P.j.

Penoose

RE: Two to try in Michigan Wed, 10/8/03 1:55 AM (permalink)
      re: Bar Burgers

So what about the best $5 burgers in MI? Not $1 sliders with onions (which I love), but a thick 1/3 or 1/2 pound slab of decent meat. The kind of burger you can order "medium rare" if you are so inclined.

Personal fave is Little Tony's in Grosse Pointe Woods.

P.j.

TANFANRN

• Total Posts: 26
        RE: Two to try in Michigan Wed, 10/8/03 2:14 AM (permalink)
        HOW ABOUT THE BURGERS AT MILLERS BAR IN DEARBORN. THEY'RE CONSISTENTLY VOTED THE BEST IN DETROIT. THE BUNS ARE STEAMED ON TOP OF THE BURGER WHILE IT COOKS. THE PLACE IS USUALLY PACKED ON WEEKENDS. I ALSO LIKE THE BAR BURGERS FROM WHEAT AND RYE, ALLEN PARK BAR AND MCNASTYS IN NEW BOSTON. FOR SLIDERS BATES BURGERS ARE WONDERFULLY GREASY.

Penoose

RE: Two to try in Michigan Wed, 10/8/03 12:53 PM (permalink)
          Somehow - inexplicably - I still haven't had a burger at Miller's Bar. Maybe I'll go this week.

P.j.

aimala66

• Total Posts: 100
            RE: Two to try in Michigan Fri, 11/7/03 9:59 AM (permalink)
            really liked miller's when i tried it saturday. i think penoose would agree....

and what a place! this unpretentious and perfectly retro blonde wood bar serving beer, burgers and fries or onion rings to a crowd of what looks to me like dedicated regulars.

and what's even cooler is if you mention this place to anyone. the response is "ooohhhh...yeah. millers." with this quiet, respectful awe. it's legendary. everyone is either a true believer or is aware of it's greatness.

it's like the johnny cash of bar burger joints.

aim

p.s. the only thing that would send it over the edge for me is if they would actually grill the onions...i asked and they wouldn't. but it's not like i can't enjoy a burg sans grilled o's.

thanks for the suggestion!!!!!

aimala66

• Total Posts: 100
              RE: Two to try in Michigan Fri, 11/7/03 10:02 AM (permalink)
              hmm...why did it post me three times?

sorry

joetank

• Total Posts: 11
                RE: Two to try in Michigan Fri, 11/7/03 6:17 PM (permalink)
                Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger (known to us Ann Arborites simply as "Blimpy's", the sub chain be d**ned) is my favorite burger place bar none. My order there is a triple, cheddar and blue cheese, grilled onions, regular roll, mustard, mayo, and ketchup.

Another good burger place nearby is the Full House on Ecorse in Ypsilanti. They make a half-pound "Ace Burger" that's ok, but in my opinion the little "Deuce Burgers" are the best thing they have.

joetank

• Total Posts: 11
                  RE: Two to try in Michigan Fri, 11/7/03 6:25 PM (permalink)
                  I also have fond memories of the Bray's chain. I know there's a newer one still open on Ford Road in Westland or Garden City, but are any of the old-school ones with the donkey statues still around?

DinoS

• Total Posts: 128
                    RE: Two to try in Michigan Sat, 11/8/03 12:33 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Wistah

I grew up in SE Michigan, and returned recently for a visit. I rediscovered two of my favorite burger joints.

Krazy Jims Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor is incredible.

Spent my first year in Ann Arbor in West Quad just around the corner from Krazy Jim's. That was 35 years ago. My mouth's watering just thinking about a Blimpy burger. (2 patties, american cheese, grilled onions-nothing else)

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Two to try in Michigan Sun, 11/9/03 10:32 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Penoose

re: Bar Burgers

So what about the best $5 burgers in MI? Not $1 sliders with onions (which I love), but a thick 1/3 or 1/2 pound slab of decent meat. The kind of burger you can order "medium rare" if you are so inclined.

Personal fave is Little Tony's in Grosse Pointe Woods.

P.j.

I suggest trying Lena Lous in Ada (Just east of Grand Rapids). They have a 5 dollar burger to die for! Forget ordering frys, takes all you have just to eat the burger... Another good joint is the Grandvilla Dungeon in Grandville (Just west of Grand Rapids), Main meals served are Mexican, but order a Dungeon Burger (2 1/3lb burgers on 3 slices of Texas Toast)...

jm3amdg

RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 06/28/04 7:43 PM (permalink)
                        Great suggestions for folks on the east side of the state, but can anyone help me find a really great hamburger on the west side of the state, specifically in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek/Marshall/Coldwater area?

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                          RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 06/28/04 9:30 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by jm3amdg

Great suggestions for folks on the east side of the state, but can anyone help me find a really great hamburger on the west side of the state, specifically in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek/Marshall/Coldwater area?

Jm,
                          Try The Flame Restaurant in downtown Kalamazoo. I didn't eat one there, but the ones they were serving looked scrumptuous. It's on the eastbound one-way street that y's back into the westbound at Bell's Brewery.
                          Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

thafunkyone

• Total Posts: 2
                            RE: Two to try in Michigan Tue, 06/29/04 1:46 AM (permalink)
                            I grew up in Battle Creek, here are a couple good ones. My favorite is Barney's Bar in Bedford, out M-37 towards Hastings. It's about 15 minutes out of town. Definately worth the trip. BC Burger on Calhoun Street runs a very very close 2nd, open for lunch only. It's right down by the Battle Creek Central High School. My friend Derek owns it. Actually BC Burger wins in Burgers, but no fries...:( Another good one is The Stagecoach in Marshall, They have a great ostrich burger, along with their other bar in Battle Creek, The Griffon, which is downtown. I live in NC now, and have only found one burger as good as any of these here, although the BBQ down here more than makes up. Happy eating.

jm3amdg

RE: Two to try in Michigan Tue, 06/29/04 7:10 PM (permalink)
                              Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll try them all ASAP.

MissJ

• Total Posts: 2
                                RE: Two to try in Michigan Wed, 07/14/04 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                I went to Western Mich. Univ in Kalamazoo and had great burgers at a bar/pool hall. They were served with green olives and a tasty dressing. I wonder if it still exists. Sorry, I can't remember the name.

banjoplayer21

• Total Posts: 6
                                  RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 05/23/05 11:58 PM (permalink)
                                  hey ya'll the bray's in westland, mich., on ford road is still open, there used to be one in romulus, they sold and destroyed the one in dearborn hieghts on inkster and ford roads.. tasty..

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                                    RE: Two to try in Michigan Tue, 05/24/05 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                    In the Muskegon area, try The Station on Broadway in Roosevelt Park. Their "regular" burger is as big as a plate. Their "huge" burger easily feeds two. Someone needs to show them how French fries are made, however.

ardee

• Total Posts: 131
                                      RE: Two to try in Michigan Sun, 12/11/05 6:59 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by thafunkyone

... Another good one is The Stagecoach in Marshall, They have a great ostrich burger... Happy eating.

I really no longer recommend "the Coach", as the Stagecoach Inn is called. It has changed hands pretty frequently over the past few years, and while the burgers are still pretty good, they are no longer what they used to be. The best burgers in Marshall (actually, just outside of town) are now at the Marshall Moonraker, 2 miles south of the circle.

I can remember several years ago when local people would call in an order for burgers to go at the Coach and call in an order for fries to go at Rogers' Lounge, which had the best french fries in town. They would then pick their orders and take them home to chow down.

Miller's Timeout at Helmer Road & I-94 in Battle Creek has a pretty good burger.

HiredGoon

• Total Posts: 15
                                        RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 12/12/05 8:58 AM (permalink)
                                        At "Wealthy St. Grill" in east Grand Rapids you can get a burger, drink and fries for $5. Their burgers are good, but their fries are great.

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
                                          RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 12/12/05 11:15 AM (permalink)
                                          My brother loves Blimpy Burgers, but also says that the Box Bar in Plymouth does a good burger.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 12/12/05 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by HiredGoon

At "Wealthy St. Grill" in east Grand Rapids you can get a burger, drink and fries for $5. Their burgers are good, but their fries are great.

Hey Goon, is that over towards the Eastown area?

HiredGoon

RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 12/12/05 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
                                              Originally posted by HiredGoon

Hey Goon, is that over towards the Eastown area?

Yeah, at the intersection of Wealthy and Lake across the street from Wolfgang's.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 12/12/05 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                                Thanks... Thought the name looked familiar... But usually have my radar locked on Yesterdog (or Smittys)..

HiredGoon

RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 12/12/05 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                                  As far as burgers in Grand Rapids, "The Koppertop" on the westside at the intersection of 4th St. and Stocking Ave. has some good burgers too.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                                    RE: Two to try in Michigan Mon, 12/12/05 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                                    All you MSU'ers, how about some burger advice for E. Lansing, especially about a few miles east on the main drag from MSU (near the Circuit City).

lennonlover2005

• Total Posts: 62
                                                      RE: Two to try in Michigan Thu, 12/29/05 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                                      Krazy Jim's is still around and if you visit after a snowstorm, they make snow bear sculptures outside right below their front window. I recently went there and told them about the web postings here and elsewhere about their place. They loved it....They said they are popular with the Brits who hit Ann Arbor Mi...(because of the big three auto companies and the University of Michigan)You have to order in a special way...be ready and know what you want ASAP so as to not to "piss off" the cook...(it's a gag really) Look out for the sassy African-American woman....she made me laugh my head off once when she "yelled" at a woman who did not get the joke...(out of towner!!! LOL)They have great soda drinks as well...(we say "POP" in Michigan) but drink only Vernor's...World's best Ginger ale!

lennonlover2005

• Total Posts: 62
                                                        • Location: Ann Arbor, MI
                                                        RE: Two to try in Michigan Thu, 02/23/06 10:06 PM (permalink)
                                                        Two burger places to try....Ypsilanti which is near to Ann Arbor...Sidetrack's in depot town area of Ypsi...they were voted one of the top ten burgers in the USA. Also there is Bill Thomas Haloburgers in Flint MI. They have several around town, but the first and best one is the one on Saginaw Street with the Vernor's elfs on the mural outside of the restaurant. Get a double with cheese and olives!

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
                                                          • Location: dowagiac, MI
                                                          RE: Two to try in Michigan Thu, 02/23/06 10:52 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by jm3amdg

B&J Pub
                                                          Lake Street
                                                          Niles, Mich

Try the Pub Burger, it's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
                                                            • Location: Detroit, MI
                                                            RE: Two to try in Michigan Sun, 03/5/06 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by lennonlover2005

Two burger places to try....Ypsilanti which is near to Ann Arbor...Sidetrack's in depot town area of Ypsi...they were voted one of the top ten burgers in the USA. Also there is Bill Thomas Haloburgers in Flint MI. They have several around town, but the first and best one is the one on Saginaw Street with the Vernor's elfs on the mural outside of the restaurant. Get a double with cheese and olives!

Both places have a great burger. Sidetrack is a really nice place to meet up with friends for a beer.

quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Rapunzll

My brother loves Blimpy Burgers, but also says that the Box Bar in Plymouth does a good burger.

Blimpy burger is fantastic!
                                                            (click link below to enlarge photo to read menu)

As far as The Box Bar, their food is ok ... but their beer selection at over 650 beers is worth travelling for!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 60

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com