Type of Hot Dogs

Author
enbarnes357
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2011/03/25 19:34:13 (permalink)

Type of Hot Dogs

I am located in Madison TN, and i am in the process of setting up a hot dog cart and i was wondering i love the hot dogs from sams club the nathans and i was wondering is that a popular hot dog to start selling, or should i stick with the least expensive that someone like sams club would carry.

14 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2398
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 19:43:19 (permalink)
    Nathans is a good dog to use, it also has great brand recognition.....
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 20:32:33 (permalink)
    I'm in SWVA and everybody here loves Jesse Jones' red weenies. 1.2 oz's a piece(20 cents each). But that's cuz they pile them up with chili and slaw.I'd offer them and upgrades.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 20:43:53 (permalink)
    enbarnes357, welcome to Roadfood. The Nathan's brand hot dogs are pretty good. I like them.  And as a consumer I'd say using a cheap hot dog would be a turnoff for me.
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 21:18:58 (permalink)
    Regional(sp) tastes mean a lot. Local tradition, especially in rural areas will dictate what people want and expect.
    Around here,a good bun, good chili,, good slaw almost makes the dog an afterthought. They want a handheld meal.
    That said, try and offer an upgrade to better dogs. Odds are the more flavorful dog will distract from an awesome chili and slaw.
    Them from NJ or NY, or Chicago may disagree, but Southern Hillbillys are stuck in they're ways.
    If Bubba can't eat it in four bites, and brag he ate 3 of them, well, then you've killed his experience.
    I may be wrong, but that's my perspective.
    JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/27 22:27:02 (permalink)
    Nathans, Sabretts, and Vienna are brands most people recognize. National Hebrew is also a good brand but unless you need to sell kosher it cost too much.  When we sell hot dogs out of the trailer we us Sabretts because we can get the 8/1’s at Restaurant Depot. In our auction house snack bar we sell Ballpark franks because of the price and that we don’t have to hold them very long. If you have a local brand people like then sell it.  

The Nathan franks that Sam’s sells from their snack bar are good Hot dogs. We have thought about using them and the buns they sell. Our Sam’s sell a large bun for the Nathans; it comes frozen and is available from the snack bar along with the Nathans. The Nathans available from the snack bar looks to be a 6/1 or maybe a 4/1.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/27 22:54:38 (permalink)
    jcheese

Regional(sp) tastes mean a lot. Local tradition, especially in rural areas will dictate what people want and expect.
    Around here,a good bun, good chili,, good slaw almost makes the dog an afterthought. They want a handheld meal.
    That said, try and offer an upgrade to better dogs. Odds are the more flavorful dog will distract from an awesome chili and slaw.
    Them from NJ or NY, or Chicago may disagree, but Southern Hillbillys are stuck in they're ways.
    If Bubba can't eat it in four bites, and brag he ate 3 of them, well, then you've killed his experience.
    I may be wrong, but that's my perspective.

I know where you are coming from. You can bark and tell everyone that that WORKS HERE. I have been up the same tree myself. Condiments make the dog. More vendors need to get to your area next weekend and see  how they fly. People from all over crave them dogs. Always butted heads on here for my area and type of dog.

chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1996
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/27 23:03:09 (permalink)
    Wow Curbie... you finally got someone on here you can relate to!
    No more people telling you to put alfalfa sprouts and guacamole on your dogs!
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/28 00:09:41 (permalink)
    chefbuba

chefbuba    I know some don't like me mentioning Nascar, but Martinsville is this weekend. On all pre race shows they mention the Martinsville Dog. It is a favorite of fans and drivers.
    http://www.scenedaily.com/blogs/stevewaid/The_Martinsville_hot_dog__its_a_must_to_many_but_why_.html
    http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/features/03/24/five.things.martinsville.speedway.hot.dog/index.html

For others it is a type of WV hot dog. The dogs are regional just as here. Ain't no uppity dog brand just plain good.
    And we don't cater to FUFU on our dogs.
    TheOP lives in Nashville Metro area and have seen Dawgs of all types in that area. Sausages of all types. Downtown at nite is different than during the day. Hell about any type will do to get started. What type in your area do people buy.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2011/03/28 05:21:50
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/28 06:40:17 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill

chefbuba

chefbuba    I know some don't like me mentioning Nascar, but Martinsville is this weekend. On all pre race shows they mention the Martinsville Dog. It is a favorite of fans and drivers.
    http://www.scenedaily.com/blogs/stevewaid/The_Martinsville_hot_dog__its_a_must_to_many_but_why_.html
    http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/features/03/24/five.things.martinsville.speedway.hot.dog/index.html

For others it is a type of WV hot dog. The dogs are regional just as here. Ain't no uppity dog brand just plain good.
    And we don't cater to FUFU on our dogs.
    TheOP lives in Nashville Metro area and have seen Dawgs of all types in that area. Sausages of all types. Downtown at nite is different than during the day. Hell about any type will do to get started. What type in your area do people buy.

Why.............. who don't like nascar??? thats sacrilege man!!LOL
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/03/31 19:25:18 (permalink)
    How are you going to cook them? You need to get several brands of hot dogs and taste test them by cooking them just like you will on your cart. We didn't like the way Nathan's turned out (we simmer ours... also called "dirty water" dogs... DO NOT BOIL). At the risk of committing heresy, good fresh condiments outweigh the brand. And I say this because we have sold the same dogs in Southwestern NC, central NM and coastal TX. And we do not sell a top "brand" of dog. We only will sell an all beef dog as well... this seems to make a difference to the customer (all beef compared to mixed meat).
    enbarnes357
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 17:43:40 (permalink)
    i would like to thank everyone for the replies, it has been really helpful
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 19:57:23 (permalink)
    NASCAR in Martinsville is Sunday. See if they don't mention thier Dog. I'd take notes of what Southerners want.
    This ain't New Yawk. Another clue is to see what brand is running out of at the grocery. I went to Wal-Mart to get some Jesse Jones dogs and they were sold out. Duh!  Geta good chili recipe, and a good slaw recipe and use a good bun.(Hint: they use SunBeam at Martinsville).
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/04/04 19:46:21 (permalink)
    I was curious if anyone has tried the "Bakers & Chefs" brand all beef hot dog from Sam's Club? And if so, what do you think of these dogs? 
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Type of Hot Dogs 2011/04/04 22:22:58 (permalink)
    Schmelly

I was curious if anyone has tried the "Bakers & Chefs" brand all beef hot dog from Sam's Club? And if so, what do you think of these dogs? 

Yes. That is all we sell for hot dogs. You have to simmer them otherwise they are too salty.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1