Type of ribs and how to cook

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13475
2012/05/22 07:20:14 (permalink)

Type of ribs and how to cook

I am having a small cookout this coming weekend.  Roz wants ribs, Mamaw Smith wants chicken and I personally do not care.  Roz is unsure on what type of ribs she wants.  Whatever the thoughts are here is probably what I will pick.   I thought about slow cookiing them ribs and chicken in the oven at like 180-200F for about a hour and then finishing them off on the grill?

Which ribs would do better like this?  Any help and suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN.

19 Replies Related Threads

Yankeedoodle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/22 07:51:23 (permalink)
    Cook them for about 4-5 hours @ 200 degrees in a roasting pan (babyback w/dry rub) on a rack with a little water and liquid smoke under rack. Take them out and let them get room temp. Rub them with bacon grease and let them sit an hour. Then finish on grill with your favorite BBQ sauce..fall right off the bone 
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 390
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/22 08:07:54 (permalink)
    For oven cooking ribs we baste with sauce, double wrap in foil and in a low oven.  Not sure on time, not a good way to cook,  but you want them to just start to pull away from the bone, this will tell you the meat is done but not over cooked, frankly you don't want them falling of the bone, not sure who started that one, but its not the way good ribs should be cooked.  Once they show they are just pulling away, you can finish in the oven if you want, add more sauce and glaze the sauce in broiler setting, or pop them on a high...very high indirect grill with sauce, still in the foil, but open.  You want to glaze the sauce, but not cook the ribs any further.  
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/22 08:39:30 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

I am having a small cookout this coming weekend.  Roz wants ribs, Mamaw Smith wants chicken and I personally do not care.  Roz is unsure on what type of ribs she wants.  Whatever the thoughts are here is probably what I will pick.   I thought about slow cookiing them ribs and chicken in the oven at like 180-200F for about a hour and then finishing them off on the grill?

Which ribs would do better like this?  Any help and suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN.

Now, being a que enthusiast, there is much debate about this method, but it's won me many a local contest and some regional. Rub with your favorite rub (I make my own) the night before. Next day, set your smoker up for 210 degrees. Use hickory/oak combo for fuel, charcoal is fine as long as you use smoking wood with it. Smoke for 3 hours. Wrap each rack of baby backs in aluminum foil, back on the smoker for 1 1/2 hours. Then unwrap, transfer to a low direct fire and baste with you favorite bbq sauce until glazed nicely.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 390
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/22 08:49:04 (permalink)
    Remember the OP does not have a smoker, so the point of my post was to give a method for oven cooking, and finishing on a simple grill.  The challenge here is using the available equipment.  There will be no end to variations on this, and for sure no definitive answer, but cooking good ribs in a home oven can be done and quite well..if thats all you have for equipment.
    post edited by RodBangkok - 2012/05/22 08:55:06
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/22 14:23:43 (permalink)
    kevincad

Now, being a que enthusiast, there is much debate about this method, but it's won me many a local contest and some regional. Rub with your favorite rub (I make my own) the night before. Next day, set your smoker up for 210 degrees. Use hickory/oak combo for fuel, charcoal is fine as long as you use smoking wood with it. Smoke for 3 hours. Wrap each rack of baby backs in aluminum foil, back on the smoker for 1 1/2 hours. Then unwrap, transfer to a low direct fire and baste with you favorite bbq sauce until glazed nicely.

Not much debate here, that's the 3/1/1 method. Great suggestion.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/22 14:25:15 (permalink)
    RodBangkok

Remember the OP does not have a smoker, so the point of my post was to give a method for oven cooking, and finishing on a simple grill.  The challenge here is using the available equipment.  There will be no end to variations on this, and for sure no definitive answer, but cooking good ribs in a home oven can be done and quite well..if thats all you have for equipment.

Sundancer can set up his grill (either gas or charcoal) for indirect heat and do them on the grill following your oven instructions, if it suits him to. But oven-cooked ribs are pretty damn good.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/23 06:14:51 (permalink)
    I'd suggest Baby Backs. More Meat, easier to handle!
    I'd cook them the reverse way you suggest.  
    First I'd rub them with a dry rub, wrap them tightly in Foil and put in fridge overnite.
    Before lighting the grill, I'd make wood packets,(See Below) and place them on a grate above the heat source in the grill. Cook low, slow and covered about 1 hour while the smoke penetrates. Take them off the grill, wrap tightly in Foil and put them in the oven at 225 degrees for about 2-3 more hours. Unwrap and serve.
    SAUCE NOT REQUIRED!
    If you want sauce, serve it on the side. Good smoked ribs don't need no stinkin' sauce!

WOOD CHIP PACKETS FOR SMOKING MEATS
    1. Soak wood chips for about a 1/2 hour.
    2. Take a wide width, heavy duty aluminum foil and tear off as many sheets as needed for each sheet to hold a large handful of chips.
    3. Usually make 3-4 packets for 1 smoking.
    4. Double over the foil sheet, place the chips at one end and roll them up, closing one end of the packet and leaving the other end slightly open for the smoke to escape.
    5. Place the packets on the bottom grate just above the burner.
    6. Close the lid if you have one and let them smoke away.
    7. Cleanup is easy. Just remove the packets after they've stopped smoldering and are completely cool and throw away.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/23 06:21:39
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/23 20:40:32 (permalink)
    If you want information overload -

http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/23 20:52:30 (permalink)
    WarToad
    If you want information overload -
    http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Amazing Ribs is one of the Best BBQ sites on the web. Their Buyer Guides are outstanding. 
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/23 21:43:10 (permalink)
    Baby Back.
    No matter in what you cook them, 200 - 220 degrees.
    No sauce until the end.

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/23 21:45:25 (permalink)
    Oh ... no matter what, use a butter knife and paper towels and remove the membrane on the back of the ribs.
    Oh ... ribs dirty little secret: they are tasty without smoke too.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 16:40:24 (permalink)
    I bought pork loin back ribs.  I hope they work well.  I will probably slow cook them in the oven at about 2100F for about a hour and finish them off on the gas grill.

As a side note, I pulled out the brinkman electric water smoker and it still works after not being used for better than ten years.  I bought a five pound pork butt.  Does about 8 hours on the water smoker sound about right?  As a back up, I bought some charcoal if it appears that the water smoker is not doing its job with some mesquite wood chips.

Any thoughts on the pork loin back ribs and my method of grilling and water smoking?

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 17:02:36 (permalink)
    Sundancer7
    I bought pork loin back ribs.  I hope they work well.  I will probably slow cook them in the oven at about 2100F for about a hour and finish them off on the gas grill.
    As a side note, I pulled out the brinkman electric water smoker and it still works after not being used for better than ten years.  I bought a five pound pork butt.  Does about 8 hours on the water smoker sound about right?  As a back up, I bought some charcoal if it appears that the water smoker is not doing its job with some mesquite wood chips.
    Any thoughts on the pork loin back ribs and my method of grilling and water smoking?
    Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Best Advice for cooking the Butt is to get a good reliable Meat Thermometer!
    As Meathead from Amazing Ribs says," Cooking Meat without a Thermometer is like driving fast without a Speedometer. You can't go by "Time' when cooking your Butt, you must go by "Temperature" . There are too many variables to use time as a measurement. I'd suggest starting your butt early. You can always take it off the heat and hold it by wrapping it in Foil and holding it in the oven as opposed to not having it finished on time and jacking up the heat to get it done quicker.
    How long do you cook it??? Cook it low & slow at about 225 degrees until your meat thermometer reads 195 degrees then take it off and let it rest. It will go up to about 200 degrees. You will have a perfect Butt in more ways than one!!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 17:07:33 (permalink)
    Bone-in butt ???
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 17:33:53 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

Bone-in butt ???

I do not believe it has a bone

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 18:30:45 (permalink)
    Here's another source for smoking your Butt:
    http://www.smoking-meat.com/pork-shoulder-recipe.html
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 18:56:54 (permalink)
    Well, a boston butt does have a bone, or am I missing something here (LOL)
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 20:29:50 (permalink)
    brisketboy

Well, a boston butt does have a bone, or am I missing something here (LOL)

The only  time I see boston in this thread is in your post.
    I find the boneless shoulders are a little trickier to cook as the bone seems to somehow wick heat IN and maybe, to a degree, fat OUT.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Type of ribs and how to cook 2012/05/24 20:44:05 (permalink)
    According to Jeff Phillips at www.smoking-meat.com :
    ....."an actual pork shoulder is very big and most of us usually only smoke a pork butt or a pork picnic roast which is the two parts of an actual pork shoulder.
    I Prefer the bone in pork butt which normally runs about 8 pounds or so. They say the meat is sweeter when it cooks with the bone in and I happen to agree."
    The same cut of meat goes by different names in different parts of the country. sometimes butchers or meat companies just make up a name to help it sell better.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/24 20:47:53
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1