UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough?

Author
Stirfryking
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2012/03/21 12:47:13 (permalink)

UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough?

Hello all, This will be my 1st Summer as owner/ operator. My vision has been a journey and a dream come true! Say, I was wondering If I am the only truck in USA currently w/o A/C? I know how hot a brick/ mortar kitch. can get, especially with a low roof. I was standing in my 18' P30 yesterday caulking around the skylight  (clear in color) /daydreaming when a bead of sweat rolled down my cheek, followed by another then yet another. Soon I was unbuttoning my shirt and fanning myself. I noticed that not only was the clear Sunlit patch of roof (roughly 2'5"x4'5") intensifying the heat, but it was almost unbearable in that spot, W/o kitchen running!! And yet the outside Temp. was a mild 73* Suddenly I was struck by the fear that I'm GOING TO NEED AN A/C unit if I want to LIVE much less conduct business. It seems like the weather patterns of late are b/coming unpredictable and I have a feeling that the eastcoast (where i'm located) is going to be broiling this summer. Heat however, is coming from Deep fryer/ griddle/ ambient broiler/ open burners most likely ALL AT ONCE. I'll literally pass out. I do have a service window and back door window as well as sliding doors. But I planned to keep them shut while operating. 
Do any of you wise Ol vet's or smart people in general know how to determine the BTU's I will need for a 10'x8' fully equip'd kitchen? And where I can pick one up? Is USED a good Idea? Or if I'm just paranoid. I kept a/c in mind while purchasing my generator. I hope that 7550W is enough. Don't have much of a draw except for fridge and 2-4 small appliances. 

25 Replies Related Threads

Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 13:08:10 (permalink)
    I would start by tinting those skylights of yours so that it just transmits some light through. Clear skylights will literally make it a greenhouse.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 15:55:06 (permalink)
    if you cant stand the heat, hire a cook that can. just kidding. get a fan, a big one.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 15:55:07 (permalink)
    if you cant stand the heat, hire a cook that can. just kidding. get a fan, a big one.
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 16:35:21 (permalink)
    I have a 6x10 trailer with a 15,000 btu rooftop a/c unit, and the a/c unit allows me a nice place to stand while taking orders. I figure the a/c lowers the ambient temperature by about 30 degrees. For example...if its 70 outside, its 120 inside w/o air or 90 inside with air. If its 90 outside, its 140 inside without air or 110 inside with air. Standing directly under the a/c vent is a little piece of heaven, and I had the unit installed right over my serving window specifically so I'd be cooler while taking orders.

Oh...and I don't have fryolators. Just a 36" flat-top, hot dog steamer, and hot water burner.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 21:13:04 (permalink)
    This might sound crazy, but I know I'm not the only one (I'll just admit it) I always wondered why everybody had blue tint. Now I know Lol... Why BLUE though? Is it the best ray blocker or smthng? Are there other colors ?
    Stubby, how did you come across your unit?
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 22:26:11 (permalink)
    stubby77 I have a 6x10 trailer with a 15,000 btu rooftop a/c unit, and the a/c unit allows me a nice place to stand while taking orders. If its 90 outside, its 140 inside without air or 110 inside with air. Standing directly under the a/c vent is a little piece of heaven, and I had the unit installed right over my serving window specifically so I'd be cooler while taking orders. Oh...and I don't have fryolators. Just a 36" flat-top, hot dog steamer, and hot water burner.

And so you have an open service window for the AC air to blow out and I'd guess an exhaust fan that sucks the cool air out. LOL Your air is pretty much useless don't you think?
    Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 23:27:46 (permalink)
    I'm curious to hear from anyone out there who has makeup air for their hood and an a/c unit.  

I'm heading that direction when my upgrades budget is replenished.

I've already installed small ventilation fans behind my 2 fridges and freezer to get some of their heat out of the truck.
    Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 23:28:25 (permalink)
    Testing...does double click=double post?
    Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 23:28:25 (permalink)
    Testing...does double click=double post?
    Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 23:28:39 (permalink)
    It does!
    Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/21 23:28:39 (permalink)
    It does!
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1982
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 00:08:15 (permalink)
    If you guys had a proper exhaust system in your rigs, you would not be worrying about the heat.
    I think the hottest it got in my trailer last summer was 114......yes that's hot, but theres nothing to do about it.....drink plenty of water and get out when ever you can.
    I have make up air....it's called open windows and door.

Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 00:46:24 (permalink)
    Just curious, what was your hottest day last summer?  I hear Washington is a wasteland with no scenery at all .

We had 3 weeks straight of 100+ highs plus humidity in eastern KS last summer...equivalent to 120+.  That kind of heat is dangerous when you're out in the open air let alone inside a fire filled truck.  Plus it's really hard on refrigeration units.

I'm getting an a/c unit as soon as I can.
    chefbuba
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 00:53:42 (permalink)
    Uhhhh...I live in the ****ty part of Washington......110...hot enough?
    Blissful Bite
    Hamburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 01:03:16 (permalink)
    Yeah that's hot.  Is it humid too?

I grew up in southern NM, it's hot and scenic there but not very humid.  Sweating actually cools you off.  Not so much here.

How many CFM does your exhaust fan pull?  What's the cubic footage of your rig?
    chefbuba
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 02:04:27 (permalink)
    Don't know, but it'll suck the frp off the walls if there is not a door or window open....trailer's 8.5x20
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 06:25:46 (permalink)
    And so you have an open service window for theAC air to blow out and I'd guess an exhaust fanthat sucks the cool air out. LOL Your air is prettymuch useless don't you think?

No...as I said in my post, it lowers the ambient temperature by about 30 degrees. Which is enough to keep me out of the hospital. I don't call that useless at all. And the serving window is only open when I'm, duh, *serving*. It's closed when I'm cooking or when I don't have a customer.

And thank god my vent fan isn't as powerful as yours. If my vent fan were powerful enough to suck the frp off the walls, it would be sucking in cloudloads of dirt, bugs, gnats, smoke, exhaust, and other undesirable gunk that contaminates food and makes it unpleasant to work in. Thanks but no thanks...I'll take my a/c unit and clean trailer over a power vent any day. Maybe you're located in a spot where the outside world is as clean as the inside of your trailer, but I'm not. Enough crap comes in with the wind, I don't need to help it along.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 13:40:03 (permalink)
    Wow... umm very interesting dialogue, I realize that coming heat is or can be an issue. As for as the "REAL MEN can walk thru fire comments go, cute. But I'm a chef and heat is a no brainer. It's a part of my business, (and your's too I assume ). Being able  to withstand the heat is not the question. This is no pissing contest. I am trying to learn the best way to stay hydrated and to put out a quality product for length's of time in Vehicle designed for mobility, not comfort. This is not just my TRUCK, it's my LIFE. I'm all in on this one guy's.  I appreciate the dialogue. This is what I getting from y'all..
    #1--Temp's of 110-120 for hours makes cooling the Kitchen secondary to cooling ME, So I will need a COLD ZONE To retreat to. 
    I can do this by..
    1) adding fan(s) (but could also introduce contaminates from outside)
    2) Stronger exhaust fan ?
    3) I definitely need a new skylight (blue still only option I guess?)
    4) A/C should go above svc window as opposed to driver's head , where friend previously suggested. Even Dr. Bbq said same thing ,cold air may leave thru exhuast. But I see it like this. Air has got to  leave somehow, at least it cooled the kitchens motor (me) before exiting. 
    5) humidity

Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 16:20:42 (permalink)
    Doesn't make sense to waste the electricity of an ac when your hood fan is sicking it right out. I can understand what stirfryking is saying about putting the ac above the svc window. That's your best bet of feeling it. We have small windows other than the svc window and it seemed fine last year - outside temps of 100+ a few days and the hood fan kept the air moving well.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 17:58:48 (permalink)
    The chef is correct.
    You just need to keep the air moving and yes on the very hot days it will make you wonder if your in the right business. But running an AC unit is a waste of $$$$.

I use two fans and leave my service window open. My exhaust fan turns the air in the trailer over once each minute. My trailer is 16 X 7. Drink water not coke or other soft drinks they will just make it worse. Throw a cold wet towel around your neck. LOL Your not going to melt and after awhile you'll not notice it, especially if your busy.
    jack
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 18:25:29 (permalink)
    yea, maybe offer the biggest loser show on ABC to do a segment on working a 6 hour shift in a hot food truck. lose 6 lbs in 6 hours! they might have a problem with the fries and burgers,...he he...
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 21:24:25 (permalink)
    6 hours? LMAO
    qwertydvorak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/22 23:33:29 (permalink)
    BLUE TINT INFO (broken link because of spam blocker on here)    nytimes com/2001/06/19/health/vital-signs-protection-blue-shirt-may-help-prevent-red-body.html

FTA: 

Researchers at the New York University medical school examined the protection against ultraviolet rays afforded by cotton shirts and how it can be enhanced.

Repeated washings of a white shirt with water or detergent raised UV protection by about 50 percent as the cloth shrank. Use of a detergent additive called Tinosorb that makes fabrics into more effective barriers to UV light raised the shirt's score by 400 percent after washing.

But the biggest gain, 544 percent, came from dyeing the shirt blue. Dr. David Polsky, a member of the research team, said different colors absorb light differently, so researchers wondered if a change of hue could greatly affect UV protection.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/23 11:02:09 (permalink)
    The easiest factors to control in the heat...start with your own person. In the winter they say to keep your head and neck warm. Same goes for keeping cool in the summer....

http://www.aqualitywater..m/head_and_neck_wear.htm

The skullcap actually looks cool.

For the rest of you Under Armour heatgear is fantastic.I will run 5 miles in it today. It is usually Coldgear weather...but t is already 70 degrees and it is still morning.

It not only keeps you comfortable...the compression keeps the muscles for aching. Again...a fashionable choice. People say wear loose clothing. Screw that! Lol

Water seltzer Gatorade. If you are thirsty you are on your way to dehydration. Drink before you are thirsty so you do not get muscle cramps. That sucks.

I don't know anything about evaporative coolers....just that they exist.. people use them and some models use lots and lots of ice.

I am not mechanical or technical in any way. I don't build fix lift anything over 20 lbs. or even think about electricity...never mind touch any wires and such. We are all safer that way.
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:UNSEASONABLY WARM in the EAST! How Many BTU's is Enough? 2012/03/23 13:04:28 (permalink)
    This thread got me thinking about what you'd use in a race car.

http://www.saferacer.com/...cat=56&tagarray=29

And a DIY to make your own cool suit... sort of.

http://www.gt40s.com/foru...t-system-ron-earp.html

post edited by Vic Cardenas - 2012/03/23 13:18:14
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1