UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
daveritzdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2004/07/10 20:05:56 (permalink)
I remember those NY chips too, Annie! I forget the name, but I think it had "New York" in the name. I think they were called " New York Deli Chips." You folks most likely already know that the potato chip,in it's form of now as we know it, was invented in Saratoga, New York and were originally called "saratoga chips!" Those in NYC looking for ZAPPS chips, they can be found in Zabar's. I found them there by accident, as I "bumped" into them in the snack isle one day! Yes, they are that good! Sorry, Cape Cod, but I had to put some South into my mouth! Wow! What flavor Y'all done be got!
ritchh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2004/08/28 14:13:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by angel92

quote:
Originally posted by Edwaste

The Pennsylvannians sure know snacks, and there you'll find a wide variety of local independent potato chipmakers.

Kay & Ray's Dark Potato Chips
With a tagline "Gee! They're Delicous" That is true.
Still cooked the same way 30 years in PRIME PROCESSED LARD!
I don't care, they are good.

Next time you're in the Lancaster area, look these chips up!

Kay & Ray's chips are slammin'!!! The dark chips are good, but I may need an intervention for my addiction to the regular Kay & Ray's.

Just came back from a 4 day trip to Lancaster, PA and came home with enough bags of chips cooked in lard to cause a cardiologist nightmares. Besides the Kay & Ray's and Zerbe's which are both delicious I have Dieffenbach's, Good's and Original Good's. My absolute favorite is the Original Good's in the blue & white bag made in New Holland. They are kettle cooked by hand in lard in 50 lb. batches and are pure heaven. They're available only in Lancaster and Berks Counties but they also sell them online at www.goodschips.com. The Good's in the red & white bag are also excellent. This is a different company (cousins I believe) and are made in Adamstown. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing comparable to a fresh chip cooked in lard.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2004/08/28 16:05:25 (permalink)
Cape Cod chips are good, but only in the Northeast. When shipped South they get stale.
Rt.11 chips aren't bad either but you can only find them in the Virginias.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2020
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2004/11/01 09:54:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AnnieOakley

Your mention of Mass. chips reminds me of State Line Chips, which are made somewhere near Worcester. Those chips are excellent, especially their barbecue. It's the best BBQ seasoning I've ever tasted. MY aunt remembers eating them hot at the factory.

Stateline sad to say is gone. One a good day they were better than Utz. On a bad day they were terrible. They were actually based on Rt 20 in Wilbraham Mass, and are in my opinion a good example of what can happen when quality control goes on vacation..
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 424
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2005/01/14 14:44:31 (permalink)
The Manchester Journal Inquirer recently ran an article stating that state line potato chips are available at select supermarkets in Western Mass and Connecticut. The stores mentioned seemed to be IGA's not the Big Box Stores.

Walt
bxfinest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2005/08/12 17:22:05 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by daveritzdog

I'll have to admit, here in New York City, I reach for the UTZ and they ain't bad! Let me ask this: Does New York have it's own locally made chip that people love or do we just love chips that come from other areas? I kinda wish I could get the Stateline chips I grew up eatin' in Connecticut here in Gotham City.

Seems I remember a NY-Centric chip that was marketed quite a bit in the late 70s/early 80s. They came in a purple bag, were extremely crispy, and they had some very 70s/80s name like "The Greatest New York Style Crispy Crunchy Potato Chip Ever". (That guess is not even close, but you get the idea.) Does that ring a bell for anyone else?

The the chips we use to eat in NYC were Wise and Bontons. Nothing was better than Wise onion and garlic nor their onion rings, Bravos and the BBQ chips had a most unique taste. I do admit that UTZ BBQ chips with the small ruffles(the large bag) are quite tasty and the UTZ BBQ cornchips are the bomb. However Wise chips are the truth.
CaryMG
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2005/08/13 15:54:13 (permalink)
quote:

I'll have to admit, here in New York City, I reach for the UTZ and they ain't bad! Let me ask this: Does New York have it's own locally made chip that people love or do we just love chips that come from other areas? I kinda wish I could get the Stateline chips I grew up eatin' in Connecticut here in Gotham City.

Of *course we do, Daver.
We have *everything ......

"Dirty Potato Chips" > http://www.dirtys.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/p-DC016.html?L+scstore+ygrd8146ff754f75+1153570787

On a side note, "UTZ" blows.

CaryMG
Hamburger
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2005/08/13 15:58:37 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Seems I remember a NY-Centric chip that was marketed quite a bit in the late 70s/early 80s. They came in a purple bag, were extremely crispy, and they had some very 70s/80s name like "The Greatest New York Style Crispy Crunchy Potato Chip Ever". (That guess is not even close, but you get the idea.) Does that ring a bell for anyone else?

Absotively, Annie -- you're referring to "New York Deli" chips, whose ONLY 2 ingredients were potatoes & peanut oil.

"Wise" bought 'em & *completly changed the recipe.
Just like what happened ta "Famous Amos" .....

*sigh*

CaryMG
Hamburger
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2005/08/13 16:14:36 (permalink)
"UTZ" the *best ?!?
Are ye nutter, laddie ?
Put "UTZ" in the same garbage can as all those *other flavorless slabs of massmarket starch like "Wise", "Lay's", "Bonton", & "Herr's" that the FDA says are technically *allowed ta be called "potato chips".

There are 2 VASTLY ones .....

1] "Kettle Chips" > www.kettlefoods.co.uk/site/WebSiteProducts.do?id=501.54.613&range=1
2] "Cape Cod Potato Chips" > www.capecodchips.com/store/Product.asp?pid=92

In the case of "Cape Cod Potato Chips" whenever I get a bag -- which is everyday -- I just bow my head & shovel, nary saying a word.
Such is the goodness that is "Cape Cod Potato Chips"

And frying in lard does *nothing but impart a wierd flavor & aftertaste and necessitates the scraping of one's tounge afterwards.

BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2005/08/14 01:49:57 (permalink)
Sorry, but I vote for Wise. Can't get 'em out here in the West, but remember them fondly from back East. Cape Cod is OK (I prefer their white cheddar popcorn to the chips). Hawaiian chips are maybe the best around here: http://www.birdseyefoods.com/scripts/products/view.asp?product_id=432
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2005/08/29 13:59:27 (permalink)
If you want Kettle style chips you can still get UTZ brand.
My favorite regular kettle style potato chip is Grandma UTZ. Yummy!

But in my hometown of Syracuse, NY I love Jean's Potato chips. Jean's Chips was bought by Terrell's Chips in 1995 but Terrell's still makes Jean's style chips.
(Terrell's also bought Crispy Maid Chips back in the 70's and Terrells is one of the companies that makes Charles Chips)
I definately like Terrell's Chips and Jean's Chips better than UTZ's regular chips, Lay's or other national brand's chips.
But Grandma UTZ chips are great! And UTZ is definately my favorite White Corn Tortilla Chip brand.

NewYorkDoctor
Junior Burger
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2006/08/10 14:51:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hotdogger

I agree, UTZ potato chips are very good.
Was UTZ previously known as Bon Ton? The Bon Ton brand disappeared just around the time UTZ made its appearance so I was wondering. Does anyone know the meaning behind the name UTZ?
NewYorkDoctor
Junior Burger
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2006/08/10 14:55:03 (permalink)
Grandama Gibbles Popcorn To Oder Here is the information.Gibble's Potato Chips
6647 Molly Pitcher Highway
Chambersburg, PA 17201
717-375-2243 Ext 3161. I Love This Popcorn the best I have ever had.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10445
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2006/08/10 15:15:11 (permalink)
Believe it or not, UTZ potato chips aren't available here in the Pittsburgh area. This is a bit of a source of frustration for me, since I love their Ripple Barbecue flavor so much. I will be in Breezewood, Pa. over the weekend and will definitely have to bring a few bags home with me.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2006/08/10 15:16:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NewYorkDoctor

quote:
Originally posted by hotdogger

I agree, UTZ potato chips are very good.
Was UTZ previously known as Bon Ton? The Bon Ton brand disappeared just around the time UTZ made its appearance so I was wondering. Does anyone know the meaning behind the name UTZ?

No way are they the same chip. Utz has been around forever. Utz were probably brought in to replace Bon Ton in your area but they have been sold in the Penn/Md area seemingly forever. I know at least as far back as the 40's - 50's Also have seen Bon Ton sold in the same store as Utz over the years.
Pennagirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/06/29 19:10:35 (permalink)
My dad and sister worked for Nibble with Gibble's. The company basically went under and the bulk of the manufacturing was sold to the cousin (Martin's Potato Rolls, Chambersburg, PA).

The only thing that was still being made was the Cheese Puffys. The were and are the best.

My dad ran the transportation fleet, my sister was in the network department.

It was sad when the chips were done being made. Miss the brand.

Love Grandma Utz chips, one of the first things I buy when I get back to PA. (along with Butterscotch TastyKakes, a decent cheesesteak and a hoagie).
Pennagirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/06/29 19:28:14 (permalink)
Correction ALL Nibble with Gibble and Kay & Ray Potato Chip Lovers.....

You can purchase these brands throught the Martin's Pastry Shoppe online store (makers of the Martin Potato Roll, those can be purchased too.). Below is the link. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.martinsfamouspastryshoppe.com/store/Scripts/default.asp
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/06/29 22:15:15 (permalink)
i grew up in hanover and my mother worked on the line at utz she'd bring home chips that were just made that night.....good stuff....
i prefer gibbles chips over utz .....
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/07/04 09:44:11 (permalink)
The only time I buy Utz is when they are on sale. Otherwise I think they are just an average chip.
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/07/24 17:11:53 (permalink)
UTZ is a good chip. Herr's is good as well - their Salt and Vinegar are great.

An unknown local PA chip is MIDDLESWARTH. You can get these up at Penn State and Wilkes Barre area. These are very good as well.

ANyone remeber the dill pickle flavored chip?
nicolem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/07/25 14:01:36 (permalink)
My absolute favorite are Herrs BBQ chips. They always have plenty of bbq seasoning on them-they don't skimp. Most chips today skimp on the flavoring.

I also like Utz honey bbq.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/07/25 14:31:38 (permalink)
Utz is yet one more brand I can not locate in my (relatively) new dwelling in New Mexico. Back in New Jersey we had Utz, Herr's, Wise. Here: Tim's Cascade, and that's about it. The salt and pepper Utz chips I miss especially.
kisscat69
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/01 11:59:12 (permalink)
Dear DaveM,
Yes UTZ has a dark russett flavor as well as Kettle chips which are also good . the crab flavor are an acquired taste unique to maryland and other crab regions. personally my favorite is the sour cream and onion ripple chips. but having grown up in UTZ country i like them all. wish i could get them in georgia
quote:
Originally posted by DaveM

I had a bag of UTZ chips in April in Maryland on our honeymoon-"crab seasoning" flavor-thought they were terrible.
Being from MA, UTZ chips are not distributed here, and I personally am not used to the blend of Crab seasoning up here in lobster country.
I will try them again when I get far enough south to be able to purchase them.
Do they have Ketchup (catsup) flavored, as do Humpty Dumpty brand in Canada?
Or Dark Russet version, as do Cape Cod potato chips?
My personal favorites.

kisscat69
Junior Burger
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/01 12:03:42 (permalink)
Gibbles are still made but are distributed like UTZ in a very small area to insure quality and freshness. I miss the Gibbles Bacon chips. I think u can have them shipped if u look online
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Oh man..Utz' Cheddar/Sour Cream is THE max!! Yeah the 'crab' ones are pretty dire...Still like the Wise onion/garlic chips.... there used to be a PA chip that was distributed here called NIBBLE WITH GIBBLE'S..whatever happened to them??
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10445
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/01 12:04:55 (permalink)
tamandmik-
I live in the same state that Utz are made and they still don't sell them around here. I made a special stop on the turnpike last weekend while I was in the middle of the state to load up on bbq ripple for me and the crab chips for my brother.
kisscat69
Junior Burger
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/01 12:07:59 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Yes it does. New York Deli Style chips i think
kisscat69
Junior Burger
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/01 12:13:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CaryMG

"UTZ" the *best ?!?
Are ye nutter, laddie ?
Put "UTZ" in the same garbage can as all those *other flavorless slabs of massmarket starch like "Wise", "Lay's", "Bonton", & "Herr's" that the FDA says are technically *allowed ta be called "potato chips".

There are 2 VASTLY ones .....

1] "Kettle Chips" > www.kettlefoods.co.uk/site/WebSiteProducts.do?id=501.54.613&range=1
2] "Cape Cod Potato Chips" > www.capecodchips.com/store/Product.asp?pid=92

In the case of "Cape Cod Potato Chips" whenever I get a bag -- which is everyday -- I just bow my head & shovel, nary saying a word.
Such is the goodness that is "Cape Cod Potato Chips"

And frying in lard does *nothing but impart a wierd flavor & aftertaste and necessitates the scraping of one's tounge afterwards.

Sorry I have to vote for UTZ. they're the only chips i'll eat besides Gibbles Bacon flavor. I am an UTZaholic and haven't eaten any potato chips since i moved to Georgia cuz they don't have either one
zothhh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/06 00:37:32 (permalink)
Kettle Chips have good texture but mediocre flavor. My personal favorite: Blair's Death Rain, especially the buffalo wing or jalapeno cheddar. Great crunch and an excellent taste that's kind of unexpected given that you're eating a potato chip that's flavored like buffalo wings.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/06 02:55:51 (permalink)
i buy utz at sheetz 2 for $5. and gibbles at sunnyway in greencastle 2 for $4. party size these are the best in my area....probally rank top 10 in us
i just cranked open a bag of grandma utz and a bag of snyders hard sourdough pretzels and some weavers bolagny and some aged chedder
thats good eats in pa
and everyone do a google search on hanover pa very big german influence but king of snackfoods.....thats where im from and you gotta love http://www.famoushotweiner.com/ and myers meats in mcsherrystown(hanover suburb) is another good stop , but when you wake up in hanover the first smells are the utz potato chips cooking and if the winds blowing right spring grove aka stinky town thats where the glatfelter paper mill is.
nuff said
ron
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/06 06:26:56 (permalink)
Utz chips are very good but my personal favorite is Good's red bag ones. I never buy the flavored chips.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1