UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
nyn8ive
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/14 14:51:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Sorry, but I vote for Wise. Can't get 'em out here in the West, but remember them fondly from back East. Cape Cod is OK (I prefer their white cheddar popcorn to the chips). Hawaiian chips are maybe the best around here: http://www.birdseyefoods.com/scripts/products/view.asp?product_id=432

Actually, Wise is available in Orange County chain of sandwich shops called Philly's Best but only the small bags. They used to carry larger bag but I guess it didn't sell enough.

I also love Wise but UTZ is close second.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/17 06:58:52 (permalink)
I am from Pa., and like another poster says there are just to many better chips then Utz.

Personal favs are:

Hartley's- My hometown chip.

Martin's- Especially the BBQ.

Middlesworth- Love the BBQ.

Hafer's- Another hometown favorite. Not in business anymore, these were similiar to Gibble's, and were also cooked in lard.

Gibble's- I liked Gibble's years ago, but they've changed. I remember them having a very unique taste, not just because them being cooked in lard....but I remember either you liked them or you hated them. I liked them, but tried a small bag recently while on a trip home and to me they tasted like any other of the kettle cooked chips...I was a little dissapointed. I still love the slogan though "Nibble with Gibble's" classic!
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/18 01:52:57 (permalink)
martins bought gibbles i still am a utz and gibble fan and every once in awile i get that kettle cooked taste in my gibbles and i get my gibbles at sunnyway in greencastle 2 for $4 and my utz at sheetz always 2 for $5.
but like ya say there is so many chips in this area....i love utz orginal.....but after you open the bag they go stale quick that sucks... now the ripples hold up good but taste a little different. i do miss going right to the utz factory and picking chips up in the gold 5 gallon can... i miss hanover and http://www.famoushotweiner.com/ im trying to get them to build one up here ........no interest as of yet.
thanks
ron
ps
where ya from in pa?
quote:
Originally posted by rebeltruce

I am from Pa., and like another poster says there are just to many better chips then Utz.

Personal favs are:

Hafer's- Another hometown favorite. Not in business anymore, these were similiar to Gibble's, and were also cooked in lard.

Gibble's- I liked Gibble's years ago, but they've changed. I remember them having a very unique taste, not just because them being cooked in lard....but I remember either you liked them or you hated them. I liked them, but tried a small bag recently while on a trip home and to me they tasted like any other of the kettle cooked chips...I was a little dissapointed. I still love the slogan though "Nibble with Gibble's" classic!
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/21 14:50:37 (permalink)
unabashed,

I spent the first 3 years of my life in State College, family then moved to Lewistown. Grew up in Lewistown, Pa for the most part. Lewistown is about 25 miles east of State College on rt322.
kisscat69
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/23 15:10:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by unabashed

martins bought gibbles i still am a utz and gibble fan and every once in awile i get that kettle cooked taste in my gibbles and i get my gibbles at sunnyway in greencastle 2 for $4 and my utz at sheetz always 2 for $5.
but like ya say there is so many chips in this area....i love utz orginal.....but after you open the bag they go stale quick that sucks... now the ripples hold up good but taste a little different. i do miss going right to the utz factory and picking chips up in the gold 5 gallon can... i miss hanover and http://www.famoushotweiner.com/ im trying to get them to build one up here ........no interest as of yet.
thanks
ron
ps
where ya from in pa?
quote:
Originally posted by rebeltruce

Personal favs are:

I've never had a bag go stale after opening." />
Oh yeah that's right hubby just reminded me there's never any left when I open them
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/25 15:14:12 (permalink)
It's nice to see this thread still going after three years. I wanted to make sure I didn't respond to this thread before. I still like Utz, and they have a nice big section for them in ShopRite. They go on sale quite a bit, and I'll definitely buy them when they are. In Lancaster's Central Market, I still remember the stand where the woman sold them warm from brown paper bags. That was almost 20 years ago when I was there last (tsk tsk on me). Snackfood memories like that can't be erased.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/25 18:20:22 (permalink)
UTZ has a wonderful selection and in my opinion, one of the best.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10200
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/25 22:13:10 (permalink)
I went into a convenience store in Maine today and they sell Utz potato chips. I couldn't believe it. Utz are made it Pennsylvania, yet we can't get them in Pittsburgh. And somehow they sell them in Maine. Just ridiculous!
cementhead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 124
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/25 22:52:49 (permalink)
Goods chips in the blue bag were recently bought out by the red bag Goods. They still make both kinds but I think they changed the blue bag chips. Not as good as before. I grew up only about a mile from where the blue bag Goods were first made and Ican remember getting them still hot in a big 2 or 3 pound can.
HPlatz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/25 23:41:47 (permalink)
Do any of the PA people remember Bickel's? I think they may still be around. Hartley's as mentioned are too greasy to me, to the point where you get some "soft" ones that are so greasy they are soggy in the bag. Marsden's somebody mentioned were made in Pottsville and went OB at least 30 years ago. Not knocking any of these chips, but they are all a matter of taste. I'll eat any of them but I like Good's and Martin's.
cementhead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 124
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/26 19:28:45 (permalink)
I still see Bickels on occasion.They never were my favorite.I like both style Goods,Grandma Utz's barbecue and Middleswarth.
HPlatz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST 2007/08/26 20:44:07 (permalink)
Middleswarth BBQ were huge with my friends growing up. I never was a big fan of them, but I will eat the plain ones if there's nothing else available. Middleswarth has a great popularity. I wonder what the market share among these brands would be, if anyone has those numbers, please post them. I'm guessing Middleswarth would have 10-15% of the market locked down in Pennsy.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1