Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 72
crabbymatt

• Total Posts: 10
UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/1/04 3:57 PM (permalink)
I'm surprised no one has made a topic on the best potato chips in the country!!! (Mostly available on the east coast), Whenever I leave to go to the westcoast, I have to take a bag along with me. All flavors are delish, although Carolina BBQ and Salt and Vinegar are my go to's. Any other favorite flavors?

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
    RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/1/04 4:08 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by crabbymatt

I'm surprised no one has made a topic on the best potato chips in the country!!! (Mostly available on the east coast), Whenever I leave to go to the westcoast, I have to take a bag along with me. All flavors are delish, although Carolina BBQ and Salt and Vinegar are my go to's. Any other favorite flavors?

You might want to check out this forum, it pretty much covers all the chips, including UTZ

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=187&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=potato,chip

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
      RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Wed, 06/2/04 1:28 AM (permalink)
      Matt, if you really want your Utz to be off the charts, get them fresh at Lexington Market. Much better than the ones from the grocery store.

MikoEats

• Total Posts: 57
        RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Sun, 06/6/04 11:37 PM (permalink)
        I completely agree with you -- Utz ARE the best. I thought I was the only one who felt that way, since most stores seem to sequester them with the "off" brands. They are delicious! All their flavors are excellent.

I'm also a big fan of their tortilla chips. They have a "40% less fat" tortilla chip -- comes in a purple bag -- that I actually prefer to their regular-recipe chip. More corn taste, and just the right amount of salt (that is, a lot.)

Utz is underappreciated.

marcbla

• Total Posts: 139
          RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 06/11/04 4:56 PM (permalink)
          herr's chips are great too, they remind me of lays chips.

marcbla

• Total Posts: 139
            RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 06/11/04 4:57 PM (permalink)
            i also remember marsdens banquet potato chips from many years ago they made a green onion and garlick chip i loved

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
              RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 06/11/04 6:50 PM (permalink)
              The Pennsylvannians sure know snacks, and there you'll find a wide variety of local independent potato chipmakers.

Two that I've tried and liked are:
              Kay & Ray's Dark Potato Chips
              With a tagline "Gee! They're Delicous" That is true.
              Still cooked the same way 30 years in PRIME PROCESSED LARD!
              I don't care, they are good.

Zerbe's Homestyle Potato Chips
              Much darker than Kay & Rays. A real dark crunchy chip made with Shortening and Lard. Super tasty!

No flavor junk sprinkled on any of them except salt. Believe me they don't need it.

Next time you're in the Lancaster area, look these chips up!

WingLover

• Total Posts: 145
                RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 06/11/04 9:51 PM (permalink)
                I love UTZ BBQ potato chips .. no other BBQ chip compares!!

~Jessica

mountain traveler

• Total Posts: 130
                  RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Sat, 06/12/04 12:03 AM (permalink)
                  According to my Dad, you haven't eaten a good potato chip unless you're at the factory eating one HOT off the line.

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
                    RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Sat, 06/12/04 10:02 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by bluegrasser031

According to my Dad, you haven't eaten a good potato chip unless you're at the factory eating one HOT off the line.

You can experience that if you visit the Herr's potato chip factory in PA.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                      RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/22/04 1:37 PM (permalink)
                      I found the smaller bags of Utz in a Dollar Tree store last week. Three kinds: BBQ, rippled,and plain. Naturally, I stocked up. They were very fresh, too. Dollar Tree doesn't always carry the same stuff all the time, so this was an unexpected treat.

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
                        RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/22/04 2:38 PM (permalink)
                        I love the salt and pepper potato chips..do not seem to see many here in the good old south...I like the Herr's but with shipping they would be expensive.. tried the Tom's brand, was not pleased..Anyone know of another brand i could find in the South?

languishing Laurie in smalltown Georgia

dadio

• Total Posts: 14
                          RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/22/04 4:16 PM (permalink)
                          Is there any way to get Utz in Southern California. I ate them as a kid when I lived in Camp Hill PA.

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                            RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/22/04 5:08 PM (permalink)
                            I had a bag of UTZ chips in April in Maryland on our honeymoon-"crab seasoning" flavor-thought they were terrible.
                            Being from MA, UTZ chips are not distributed here, and I personally am not used to the blend of Crab seasoning up here in lobster country.
                            I will try them again when I get far enough south to be able to purchase them.
                            Do they have Ketchup (catsup) flavored, as do Humpty Dumpty brand in Canada?
                            Or Dark Russet version, as do Cape Cod potato chips?
                            My personal favorites.

daveritzdog

• Total Posts: 44
                              RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/22/04 8:03 PM (permalink)
                              I'll have to admit, here in New York City, I reach for the UTZ and they ain't bad! Let me ask this: Does New York have it's own locally made chip that people love or do we just love chips that come from other areas? I kinda wish I could get the Stateline chips I grew up eatin' in Connecticut here in Gotham City.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Tue, 06/22/04 10:01 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by speechpeach

I love the salt and pepper potato chips..do not seem to see many here in the good old south...I like the Herr's but with shipping they would be expensive.. tried the Tom's brand, was not pleased..Anyone know of another brand i could find in the South?

languishing Laurie in smalltown Georgia

Laurie,
                                In this area, I find Zapp's from Louisiana and "Dirty" Potato Chips from Memphis. There are a few other "boutique" and/or premium brands, but the library is closing, so I'll detail them tomorrow.
                                Happy chunching!
                                As Chipper As Usual, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                  RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Wed, 06/23/04 12:04 AM (permalink)
                                  Oh man..Utz' Cheddar/Sour Cream is THE max!! Yeah the 'crab' ones are pretty dire...Still like the Wise onion/garlic chips.... there used to be a PA chip that was distributed here called NIBBLE WITH GIBBLE'S..whatever happened to them??

Kristi S.

RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Wed, 06/23/04 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Oh man..Utz' Cheddar/Sour Cream is THE max!! Yeah the 'crab' ones are pretty dire...Still like the Wise onion/garlic chips.... there used to be a PA chip that was distributed here called NIBBLE WITH GIBBLE'S..whatever happened to them??

Gibbles is still in business, but I believe they are owned by Birds-Eye.

angel92

• Total Posts: 44
                                      RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Thu, 07/8/04 8:25 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Edwaste

The Pennsylvannians sure know snacks, and there you'll find a wide variety of local independent potato chipmakers.

Kay & Ray's Dark Potato Chips
                                      With a tagline "Gee! They're Delicous" That is true.
                                      Still cooked the same way 30 years in PRIME PROCESSED LARD!
                                      I don't care, they are good.

Next time you're in the Lancaster area, look these chips up!

Kay & Ray's chips are slammin'!!! The dark chips are good, but I may need an intervention for my addiction to the regular Kay & Ray's.

n4mtees

• Total Posts: 18
                                        RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Thu, 07/8/04 8:57 PM (permalink)
                                        to all: try the cheese balls, they are the balls

Dave M: you can get UTZ products at Rite-Aid drug stores, at least you can here in NH

Wing Lover: Try Uncle Ray's BBQ Potato Chips (and their fine products)out of Detroit MI url: www.unclerays.com

hotdogger

• Total Posts: 88
                                          RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Thu, 07/8/04 9:55 PM (permalink)
                                          I agree, UTZ potato chips are very good.
                                          Was UTZ previously known as Bon Ton? The Bon Ton brand disappeared just around the time UTZ made its appearance so I was wondering. Does anyone know the meaning behind the name UTZ?

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                            RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Thu, 07/8/04 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by hotdogger

I agree, UTZ potato chips are very good.
                                            Was UTZ previously known as Bon Ton? The Bon Ton brand disappeared just around the time UTZ made its appearance so I was wondering. Does anyone know the meaning behind the name UTZ?

Bon Ton is still around...but they are pretty far down on the Pennsy Hip Chip List..and WHY is it that Pennsylvania is such a hot snack spot anyways?

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                              • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                              RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 07/9/04 2:05 AM (permalink)
                                              But what is it about these chips that sets them apart? I've not tried many, but I know I like old standards like Lay's and Ruffles. I don't particularly like flavored ones, and I don't like Pringles.

I've had those Hawaiian Kettle Chips, and Boulder Chips, which I thought were just plain awful.

What makes a good chip a good chip?

Edited to fix punctuation.

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                                                RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 07/9/04 7:01 AM (permalink)
                                                utz chips are not the successor to bon ton. Utz have been around for decades in Pennsylvania. The name is that of the founders Bill and Sallie Utz.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 07/9/04 7:09 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Gibbles is still in business, but I believe they are owned by Birds-Eye.

Kristi,
                                                  They're not owned by Birds-Eye. They are an operating unit of Martin's Pastry Shoppe, maker of Martin's rolls. Which are incredible potato hot dog and burger buns found in most PA supermarkets.

Kristi S.

• Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
                                                    RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 07/9/04 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by CheeseWit
                                                    They are an operating unit of Martin's Pastry Shoppe, maker of Martin's rolls. Which are incredible potato hot dog and burger buns found in most PA supermarkets.

Oh yes, I know. I adore Martin's rolls. Used to get em all the time at Shop Rite. Now that I live in Florida, there is but one specialty store that sells Martin's and I'll bet they're $5 a bag or something...

MikoEats

RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 07/9/04 7:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by daveritzdog

I'll have to admit, here in New York City, I reach for the UTZ and they ain't bad! Let me ask this: Does New York have it's own locally made chip that people love or do we just love chips that come from other areas? I kinda wish I could get the Stateline chips I grew up eatin' in Connecticut here in Gotham City.

Seems I remember a NY-Centric chip that was marketed quite a bit in the late 70s/early 80s. They came in a purple bag, were extremely crispy, and they had some very 70s/80s name like "The Greatest New York Style Crispy Crunchy Potato Chip Ever". (That guess is not even close, but you get the idea.) Does that ring a bell for anyone else?

Tony Bad

RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Fri, 07/9/04 11:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        Had heard some good things about Wachusset (spelling??) brand chips in Massachusetts and had some recently on a trip north when I stopped at George's Coney Island in Worcester. They were VERY good...especially the BBQ. Lighter on the BBQ flavor than many brands, but done just right to me!

MikoEats

• Location: Mystic, CT
                                                          RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Sat, 07/10/04 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                          Your mention of Mass. chips reminds me of State Line Chips, which are made somewhere near Worcester. Those chips are excellent, especially their barbecue. It's the best BBQ seasoning I've ever tasted. MY aunt remembers eating them hot at the factory.

nyclthrm8

• Total Posts: 6
                                                            • Location: brooklyn , NY
                                                            RE: UTZ Potato Chips-The BEST Sat, 07/10/04 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                                            i just joined and this is my first post, and i cant believe i'm reading a slew of postings about chips without a SINGLE mention of the amazing ZAPPS chips, i think from new orleans. the 'cajun dill' is like a dill pickle, in chip form. almost makes me wanna' be pregnant! not to mention several other unusual, tasty flavors, special limited editions, and the classic unflavored varieties. you can get 'em mail order, or in gourmet shops around the country. but they're worth trekking to nawlins for!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 72

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com