Ukrainian food

Author
burgerman206
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2006/10/30 18:56:48 (permalink)

Ukrainian food

Has anyone ever tried Ukrainian food? I'm guessing it's similar to Russian or perhaps Polish cuisine. Do any Ukrainian restaurants exist? If anybody's ever been to or even heard of one, please post this info. Is it similar to other Eastern European cuisines?

7 Replies Related Threads

salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Ukrainian food 2006/10/30 19:18:57 (permalink)
    I live not far from a Ukranian settlement, Dauphin, MB and the province of Manitoba has a high Ukranian population in general. Lots of people make perogies and cabbage rolls locally.

Here is a clip taken from the National Post's list of the best places to eat in Canada. Alycia's is a Winnipeg Ukranian Restaurant.

MANITOBA

Alycia's Restaurant This homey north-end restaurant serves all variations of Ukrainian comfort food, but a team of babas turns out around 12,000 of the favoured perogies every day. You have the choice, but always order them boiled, not fried. Try the "Dinner for two tasting menu," and wine, $36. Closed Sunday. 559 Cathedral Ave., Winnipeg, 204-582-8789.

Ukranian food tends to be heavier,inexpensive, essentially comfort food. Perogies filled with potato, potato onion, potato cheese, bacon,potato and onion, cottage cheese or saurkraut are typical. They are usually boiled or pan fried served with bacon, onion and sour cream. Fried Kolbasa sausage is usually served along side, as well as cabbage rolls filled with rice or a ground beef rice combination in a tomato sauce and often saurkraut buns. I have also had dessert perogies filled with wild blueberries.

Borscht soup is another common item.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Ukrainian food 2006/10/30 19:39:00 (permalink)
    Mmmm, sounds great Salsa! I'm in for that taster menu.
    Joe
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10424
    RE: Ukrainian food 2006/10/30 20:48:39 (permalink)
    I haven't had a chance to eat there yet, but an Ukrainian restaurant called Roxolana's Garden opened on Pittsburgh's North Side about a year ago. Here is a review from the newspaper:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06012/636302-242.stm

and their website:

http://www.roxolanas.com/

As far as I know, they are the only Ukrainian place in town.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Ukrainian food 2006/10/30 22:51:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by burgerman206

Has anyone ever tried Ukrainian food? I'm guessing it's similar to Russian or perhaps Polish cuisine. Do any Ukrainian restaurants exist? If anybody's ever been to or even heard of one, please post this info. Is it similar to other Eastern European cuisines?

There's a strong Ukranian community in New York. Within a few square blocks of the Lower East Side/East Village, there are at least a half-dozen Ukranian restaurants, the most famous being Odessa on Avenue A. Vaselka on 2nd Avenue is my favorite, but getting a tad too hip. Across from Vaselka is the former location of Keiv, which I believe is gone forever after changing hands several times.

Ukranian food is barely distinguishable from Polish food. Half my family were from Odessa, the other half from tiny shtetls in Poland, and I can't tell the difference. My grandmother made blintzs that were so unbelievably good, I can still taste them if I think hard enough. She's been gone for 10 years, and I've not had a blintz that approached hers since.
    The Mikado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Ukrainian food 2007/06/12 14:09:23 (permalink)
    I love and recommend Veselka. It may be hip, but it hasn't affected the taste. The menus can be accessed on line.

Also, try and see what's still around in the Ukie Village in Chicago. Ann's Bakery seems to have a lot of satisfied customers, although I haven't made that one yet. Between Polonia, Devon, and Greektown, I tend to run out of both time and meals. Here's one link re Ann's:

http://visnyk.blogspot.com/2005/04/chicagos-ukrainian-village.html

...And the rest of the village.
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Ukrainian food 2007/06/12 14:57:42 (permalink)
    Here in Chicago, there is a large and growing Ukrainian community. Spare yourself some grief, never compare anything they do, such as food, music, etc. to the Russians, bitter enemies.

That said, Saks (2301 W. Chicago Ave.) is pure Ukrainian food. Better yet are all the deli's that line Western Ave., around 800 to 1000 N. Western. That's where the real Roadfood comes from, great soups, homemade, sausages, periogis (Ukie style) stuffed cabage.

There is also a grill called Anjez's on Western(about 1140 N.Western), it only seats about 8 to 10 people and but if you are ever in Chicago and want some authentic Eastern European cuisine, Anjez Grill is the spot.
    The Mikado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Ukrainian food 2007/06/12 15:04:35 (permalink)
    Glad to read this. These will be added to my look-into list.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1