The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Ultimate Picnic Basket

Author Message
drsmoke02

  • Total Posts: 250
  • Joined: 11/16/2005
  • Location: emmitsburg, MD
Ultimate Picnic Basket Mon, 03/27/06 9:47 PM (permalink)
Money of NO concern,what would your ultimate picnic basket be packed with?
 
#1
    RubyRose

    • Total Posts: 2187
    • Joined: 5/7/2003
    • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
    RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 1:46 PM (permalink)
    I'm not sure what it would contain but I would have it made by Frog/Commissary Catering in Philadelphia. They used to offer picnic baskets for events at the Mann Music Center and they were wonderful every time we had them.

    For a more moderate price, they do box lunches that I'd take on my picnic any time:
    http://www.frogcommissary.com/food/lunches.html
     
    #2
      roossy90

      • Total Posts: 6695
      • Joined: 8/15/2005
      • Location: columbus, oh
      RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 2:40 PM (permalink)
      Veuve-Clicquot as a starter....Mmmmmmm
       
      #3
        Scorereader

        • Total Posts: 5546
        • Joined: 8/4/2005
        • Location: Crofton, MD
        RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 3:18 PM (permalink)
        French Bordeaux,
        Russian Caviar,
        some soft cheeses like Brin D'Amour and maybe some mozzarella di bufala (with olive oil and basil),
        some hard cheeses like Lincolnshire Poacher and farmhouse Lancashire, some cured meats like salami and prosciutto.
        A nice crusty bread, like an italian flat(round) loaf.
        Smoked Salmon would be a must. Put some smoked salmon and some cheese with capers and a little caviar on an endive leaf. Add a little olive oil perhaps.
        Vine tomatoes.
        Pate de foie gras
        A variety of olives including kalomata, moroccan cured, etc.
        Black Beauty and Black Corinth grapes.
        Other fruits could be Maine blueberries, kiwi, strawberries.
        Chocolate truffles
        Herman J. Weimer Reisling

         
        #4
          drsmoke02

          • Total Posts: 250
          • Joined: 11/16/2005
          • Location: emmitsburg, MD
          RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 3:26 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Scorereader

          French Bordeaux,
          Russian Caviar,
          some soft cheeses like Brin D'Amour and maybe some mozzarella di bufala (with olive oil and basil), some hard cheeses like Lincolnshire Poacher and farmhouse Lancashire, some cured meats like salami and prosciutto.
          A nice crusty bread, like an italian flat(round) loaf.
          Smoked Salmon would be a must. Put some smoked salmon and some cheese with capers and a little caviar on an endive leaf. Add a little olive oil perhaps.
          Vine tomatoes.
          Pate de foie gras
          A variety of olives including kalomata, moroccan cured, etc.
          Black Beauty and Black Corinth grapes.
          Other fruits could be Maine blueberries, kiwi, strawberries.
          Chocolate truffles
          Hermain Weinmar Reisling




          Your answer makes me want to have a picnic,with ALL of the above!
           
          #5
            Scorereader

            • Total Posts: 5546
            • Joined: 8/4/2005
            • Location: Crofton, MD
            RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 3:37 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by drsmoke02

            quote:
            Originally posted by Scorereader

            French Bordeaux,
            Russian Caviar,
            some soft cheeses like Brin D'Amour and maybe some mozzarella di bufala (with olive oil and basil), some hard cheeses like Lincolnshire Poacher and farmhouse Lancashire, some cured meats like salami and prosciutto.
            A nice crusty bread, like an italian flat(round) loaf.
            Smoked Salmon would be a must. Put some smoked salmon and some cheese with capers and a little caviar on an endive leaf. Add a little olive oil perhaps.
            Vine tomatoes.
            Pate de foie gras
            A variety of olives including kalomata, moroccan cured, etc.
            Black Beauty and Black Corinth grapes.
            Other fruits could be Maine blueberries, kiwi, strawberries.
            Chocolate truffles
            Herman J. Weimer Reisling




            Your answer makes me want to have a picnic,with ALL of the above!


            Well, if money is no object. There's no reason you can't!

            Now I'll work on the budget picnic thread.
            It'll still involve the same idea of stuff, just more inexpensive versions, and perhaps a little less involved.
            we'll see how that picnic turns out.

             
            #6
              Tastytoo

              • Total Posts: 271
              • Joined: 8/28/2004
              • Location: Moving.
              RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 4:42 PM (permalink)
              The first place I thought of for a picnic is Ravinia. An outdoor concert and splurge for something perhaps from Trotter's To Go, Fox and Obel or Foodworks. Now I'll have to look at their offerings to see what I'd like. But I am more likely to just get something inexpensive and simple.
               
              #7
                Gizmolito

                • Total Posts: 312
                • Joined: 10/18/2004
                • Location: New Whiteland, IN
                RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 6:36 PM (permalink)
                My ultimate picnic basket would contain, ultimately, cold fried chicken.
                 
                #8
                  pcdiva

                  • Total Posts: 591
                  • Joined: 4/28/2005
                  • Location: Atlanta, GA
                  RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 7:55 PM (permalink)
                  Mom's potato salad and devilled eggs. Honey baked ham sandwiches on soft rolls, Lots of cold sodas, chips & dips, fresh chocolate chip cookies & brownies with all the family to join me! (the trip to get together is the expensive part of my picnic)
                   
                  #9
                    Gizmolito

                    • Total Posts: 312
                    • Joined: 10/18/2004
                    • Location: New Whiteland, IN
                    RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Tue, 03/28/06 9:01 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by pcdiva

                    Mom's potato salad and devilled eggs. Honey baked ham sandwiches on soft rolls, Lots of cold sodas, chips & dips, fresh chocolate chip cookies & brownies with all the family to join me! (the trip to get together is the expensive part of my picnic)


                    Yes, I need to ammend the cold fried chicken to also include what you said.
                     
                    #10
                      PapaJoe8

                      • Total Posts: 5504
                      • Joined: 1/13/2006
                      • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                      RE: Ultimate Picnic Basket Fri, 03/31/06 12:28 PM (permalink)
                      Yep, the cold fried chicken seams to be a picnic basket staple, along with the family. Hey, all that other stuff sounds good to. I might need a real big basket!
                      Joe
                       
                      #11
                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                        Jump to:

                        Current active users

                        There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                        Icon Legend and Permission

                        • New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com