Umbrella Sleeve

Author
Lonestar Dogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
2012/12/03 15:18:11 (permalink)

Umbrella Sleeve

I purchased my CMS Model 325 used from Craigslist. I've been looking at a lot of carts online and seems they have a metal sleeve that the umbrella fits down into. My cart doesn't have this sleeve. It just has a hole in the cart that's about a foot deep. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these sleeves?

Any information would be appreciated.

~Lonestar

7 Replies Related Threads

BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:Umbrella Sleeve 2012/12/03 16:28:07 (permalink)
    I would just use a pipe from home depot or lowes that fits the umbrella or hole. or, you can call CMS and ask what to use in that cart.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Umbrella Sleeve 2012/12/03 19:41:59 (permalink)
    I had to use chain link fence railing. If you can't find pipe (it is thicker than chain link fence railing etc.) You might can use the fence material.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:Umbrella Sleeve 2012/12/03 20:18:52 (permalink)
    I have a CMS. My Pole was broken flush with the counter top, you might want to double check to see if yours is too. I have the original umbrella/ pole. What I did was use a PVC pipe (not sure what size, but common). To determine the length (I wanted the longest I could for strength) I measured counter top to bottom, plus up inside umbrella from bottom to as high as it could go (about 7 inches) inside umbrella. Was a snug fit into cart and umbrella slides over with minimal play. It couldn't have worked out better, I was lucky and I too was concerned about the fix before I started it. I do have to use bungee cords in wind or it will lift off. I suppose I could drill a hole in for a pin but I don't want to weaken it. It's survived some pretty high winds that I probably had no business being in.    
    DadsDogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Umbrella Sleeve 2012/12/06 05:16:17 (permalink)
    Lonestar Dogs

I purchased my CMS Model 325 used from Craigslist. I've been looking at a lot of carts online and seems they have a metal sleeve that the umbrella fits down into. My cart doesn't have this sleeve. It just has a hole in the cart that's about a foot deep. Does anyone know where I could buy one of these sleeves?

Any information would be appreciated.

~Lonestar

Hello.  When I purchased an umbrella sometime ago it actually came with a 2 piece pole.  Just measure the bottom half through the cart to the base. Cut it to the appropriate length, secure it and your done.  I also have a cheapie back-up umbrella I purchased at  http://www.umbrellasusa.c...yproducts.aspx?scid=73        Let us know how you solved this as it could help others.  Good Luck.    DD
    post edited by DadsDogs - 2012/12/06 05:22:32
    Lonestar Dogs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Umbrella Sleeve 2012/12/08 16:01:38 (permalink)
    Right! So, At Home Depot they have a metal drain pipe in plumbing that's about 14" long. It has a nut on one end and straight pipe on the other. That coupled with another similar pipe gave me the metal sleeve I was searching for. It was perfect diameter to accept the pole of my umbrella and provides the extra strength and stiffness I was searching for.

~Lonestar
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re:Umbrella Sleeve 2012/12/11 08:21:41 (permalink)
    Lonestar Dogs

Right! So, At Home Depot they have a metal drain pipe in plumbing that's about 14" long. It has a nut on one end and straight pipe on the other. That coupled with another similar pipe gave me the metal sleeve I was searching for. It was perfect diameter to accept the pole of my umbrella and provides the extra strength and stiffness I was searching for.

~Lonestar

did you take any pictures?

i can't envision what you did here.

I found an umbrella than a piece of male threaded pipe coupling.  They sell female couplers that have flat bases with holes so i used that to rivet to the base of my cart.  The base of the umbrella threads right in, the top half i remove and attach as needed.

I am curious to see what you did lonestar.

Lonestar Dogs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Umbrella Sleeve 2012/12/11 12:20:43 (permalink)
    Hella - I don't believe I've been a member long enough or posted enough to post pictures. Next best thing, I went to the Home Depot website and tried to search for what I purchased. Not as easy as I thought! After some serious googling it seems that I am referring to a 1 1/4" x 12" brass extension tube with slip joint connector in polished chrome coupled with a flanged drain tail piece in polished chrome of the same length. 

Of course, I now hit my next stumbling block. This contraption slid down into the hole on the cart just fine, the umbrella pole slides into it very nice and snug. When the wind blows I am still dealing with the whole thing canting in one direction or the other. Now to find a way to stabilize the extension piece so that it is rigid and will not move.

Being a cart owner newbie with a used cart I am learning by trial and error. On the bright side, I now know more about plumbing, propane lines and burners, stainless steel, and pop rivets than I ever knew before!

~Lonestar
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1