Uncle Joe's Italian Sausage Sandwich

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6322
2007/12/22 10:07:23 (permalink)

Uncle Joe's Italian Sausage Sandwich

Hi,
My Uncle Joe was the Italian Sausage Man at the giant Englishtown Auction in New Jersey during the 60's. Hundreds and hundreds of customers ate Uncle Joe's sandwich made by him and my dad, and me. My family still loves it..it's a variation on the old standard. TRY IT...
Recipe:
Grill your BEST Italian sausage.
Meanwhile, make the topping Uncle Joe insisted on calling"sauce"
In a skillet fry homefried potatoes and onions(lots of potatoes,less onions)in OLIVE OIL.Generous amounts of salt and pepper.Then the secret touch...lots of Italian red wine vinegar into the hot skillet mix. Stir.
Then, take those Italian flat round loves of bread,known as pizza bread, cut one in half, make a pocket in it, add a little"sauce" to the bottom, add a grilled sausage(or Two),then top off with generous amounts of the topping. It's a sandwich fit for a king.
These sandwiches were so tasty,he even sold a "sauce only" version without the sausage. Boy that sauce was tasty! Please,this is not a traditional Italian sausage sandwich. Uncle Joe was adamant:DON'T ADD PEPPERS!!!! That's something different. His vinegared potatoes make this one. Also remember don't add too many onions.
When he retired he sold the business that had become a gold mine. For all I know, they're still sold at The English Town Auction. But they are fondly remebered (and Eaten) in this house. Rest well.Uncle Joe!
leethebard

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1