Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher!

Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4276
2012/11/21 12:54:20 (permalink)

Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher!

A new 'Que house is slated to open here in Chicago (home to the country's worst BBQ snobs; just ask some of the folks around here) with an interesting twist: Kosher Barbecue!

Actually that shouldn't make it too different from Texas 'Que: All beef, no pork.  They'll have smoked chicken and salmon too.  Tho only restriction on the side dishes will be no Mac & Cheese because of the prohibition on meat and dairy being served together.

Milt's Barbecue For The Perplexed is scheduled to open December 1st on the north side of the city.

More here:
http://chicago.eater.com/...-open-around-dec-1.php

Buddy

19 Replies Related Threads

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/21 18:37:25 (permalink)
    Haven't tried them (price), but they've been around several years:
    http://www.smokeyjoesbbq.com/
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5167
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/21 22:15:06 (permalink)
    Based on Milt's proposed menu I certainly wouldn't miss the pork.

According to the article meat and dairy can't come from the same kitchen.  Would it be allowable to serve mac 'n' cheese if it was prepared in the same restaurant but in a different room?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/21 22:51:11 (permalink)
    It's not just a matter of preparation; if you follow Jewish dietary laws you're not supposed to consume meat and dairy at the same time.

As a point of interest, fish is not considered "meat", hence Lox and Bagels with Cream Cheese is perfectly fine.

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/21 23:17:55 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

It's not just a matter of preparation; if you follow Jewish dietary laws you're not supposed to consume meat and dairy at the same time.
    Understood, but is that the responsibility of the diner or the restaurant?  In other words, I'm wondering if it's possible for a place to keep kosher on the preparation side while still being able to offer both kosher and non-kosher options to the diner.
    As a point of interest, fish is not considered "meat", hence Lox and Bagels with Cream Cheese is perfectly fine.
    That works for the New Testament folks, too.  Especially on Friday.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/22 13:13:33 (permalink)
    You're right, in a public situation like a restaurant, avoiding the consumption of non-Kosher foods falls on the diner, not the server.  And I suppose you could have two separate kitchens preparing Kosher and non-Kosher foods (I'm sure there must be a Talmudic scholar or two out there who will set me straight on this).  But I think the whole point of this venture is to stick to a Kosher menu regardless of how they might be able to work around the system.

So when are you coming down here to join me in a big plate of beef ribs?

Buddy

EDIT: Pursuant to the concept of keeping Kosher in a restaurant setting, Gentiles will be interested to learn that, when prepared in a Chinese restaurant, EVERYTHING magically becomes Kosher!  Sweet and Sour Pork making you bitter?  Poof-it's Kosher!  Having a hard time coming out of your shell for Shrimp With Lobster Sauce?  Eat up, it's all good!

This is why Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas Eve: While all you Christian types are singing "Silent Night" at Midnight Mass, we've taken over your town and are having a good time without you.  Primarily at Chinese (and lately, some Indian) Restaurants.  Who needs a Savior when we can savor a big steaming plate of Moo Goo Gai Pan?

B.
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/11/22 14:58:45
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8520
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/22 14:05:13 (permalink)
    The only thing I didnt enjoy were Kosher brat patties....made at The Kosher Meat Club in Milwaukee. Their veal patties are fantastic, and as a breading for chicken I like Coat and Bake-matzo meal is the base. I would love to try their beef ribs!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/22 19:19:59 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

So when are you coming down here to join me in a big plate of beef ribs?
    I'll let them get up and running first, so we'll see.  But just ribs?  If I drive 2-1/2 hours into the heart of the Second City I expect to take full advantage of the menu.

While all you Christian types are singing "Silent Night" at Midnight Mass, we've taken over your town and are having a good time without you.
    I remember seeing something about that...
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/11/22 19:30:36
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/22 23:40:30 (permalink)
    It's true, it's true!  It might make a funny video on SNL, but just try getting into a good Chinese restaurant on Jewish Christmas Eve.  Every seat in the house is taken with lines out the door waiting to get in.

As far as Milt's BBQ goes, if you make the trip, I'm sure the rest of the Roadhouse clan will fill up the table, allowing us to order a wide cross section of the menu.

Buddy
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3309
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/24 20:33:29 (permalink)
    There are two Jewish style BBQ joints on the north shore called Real Urban BBQ. While not being Kosher, Real Urban BBQ has targeted the north shore pallet. RUBBQ is open seven days a week and offers all the mac & cheese your heart desires. Buddy, do you remember Chang Chai? It was Chicago's first kosher Chinese restaurant owned and operated by my belated best friend, Joel Jacobs, who owned Kosher Gourmet in Skokie.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/25 02:58:18 (permalink)
    I remember there being a Kosher Chinese restaurant in the area, but I never visited and didn't know it specifically as Chang Chai (for those unfamiliar with Jewish pronunciation, the "Chai" is pronounced the way it is when offering the toast, "L'Chaim".  Hence, the name of the restaurant is pronounced to sound like the Chinese city, Shanghai, but with more of a "ch" sound coming from the back of the throat.).
    You're right. those other places you mentioned are in fact catering to a largely Jewish clientele, but neither is keeping a strict kosher kitchen the Milt's is proposing to do.  It'll be an interesting experiment as it develops.

Buddy
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/25 14:48:15 (permalink)
    There was a kosher BBQ place in Decatur GA a few years back.  It was in the former location of an Old Hickory House, and was later Rockin' Rob's BBQ, and, after the kosher joint closed, Maddy's BBQ moved in.  Then Maddy's closed, and local heroes Fox Brothers were supposed to be opening a new, second, location there earlier this year.  I suppose they figured that if that location was cursed enough to kill four BBQ joints already, they didn't need to move there.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/25 15:46:44 (permalink)
    I like beef ribs. I make my own with boneless beef short ribs & Roadhouse BBQ sauce, one bottle of plain & one bottle of Southern Sunset. 12 hours in the crockpot & we're good. 

"About once a month, they'll open for pre-paid shabbos dinners with wine."
    I told that kraut a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

All messing around aside, can't wait til they open.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/25 22:02:43 (permalink)
    stricken_detective I told that kraut a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
    Hmm, wonder how many folks will catch that sly reference Dude...

Buddy
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/26 10:24:36 (permalink)
    Not sure what shabbos dinners are. My late father would have gotten the reference. We aren't jewish,but he grew up in Milwaukee,and his family spoke german and knew  yiddish.Daddy always said if you can speak german,you can learn yiddish.He knew alot about jewish customs and such.Think he would get a kick out of the place.I'll have to tell my sister,as her hubby has a sister who lives in Chicago and works for Kraft FoodsThey went there for Thanksgiving. Ross's family is jewish, but they don't keep kosher.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8119
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/26 13:48:58 (permalink)
    Kosher food is also the manner in which an animal is killed.

I love the name Shang Chai and would have hoped for a clever play on words for Milt's.

Here in Los Angeles we have Kosher Nostra... a Kosher Italian restaurant.

I am Jewish but don't practice any dietary laws.  I don't know that I'd choose a Kosher BBQ place over a non-Kosher place but it does make it nice for those who do.

Anyone want to open a Kosher seafood restaurant?  I have a name ready for you.... Ahoy Gavult.  (The name of the boat I once owned)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/26 13:49:22 (permalink)
    HollyDolly Not sure what shabbos dinners are.
    "Shabbos" is Yiddish for "Sabbath".  The "Shabbos Dinner" is the last meal of the week before a day of fasting.  For Jews, Saturday is the Sabbath, so Friday night would be Shabbos Dinner.  The dinner is frequently an ornate affair with family and friends.  Whoever does the cooking will show off their best skills in preparation and presentation.  After that meal, you fast until sundown, Saturday night.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/26 13:57:14 (permalink)
    mar52 I love the name Shang Chai and would have hoped for a clever play on words for Milt's.
    Not so much a clever play on words, but still, a clever literary/philosophical/religious reference.  From the article:

Weiss explained that in addition to two- and four-tops, the restaurant will also have a communal table in the center of the room because they want it to be a meeting place for the community, whether that's to come together simply to break bread or have deeper discussions. This is where the name—Milt's Barbecue for the Perplexed—makes more sense. Weiss said the name was influenced by 12th century Jewish scholar and philosopher Maimonides' book, Guide for the Perplexed.

Kosher seafood restaurant?  Cute name, could be a slightly limited menu, though...

Buddy
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8119
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/26 16:05:45 (permalink)
    Only fish.

Baked fish, steamed fish, smoked fish, fried fish, fish stew....

Nothing else.

Yes, limited but I like the name. 

My dad used to prepare a chulent once in awhile.  I'm not going to explain it because there's too much to it.  It serves as an all weekend meal.
    danielo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Unique New 'Que Joint Opening In Chicago: Kosher! 2012/11/27 10:51:18 (permalink)
    Ah interesting.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1