Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/07/11 04:20:28 (permalink)
OK, I haven't taken the time to read through the previous 10 pages to see if San Francisco is represented, but in case they aren't, I'll mention a few items:
-sourdough bread (I've seen it elsewhere, but it ain't the same folks--we've got unique yeast in our air or something)
-cioppino (Italianesque seafood stew)
-boiled Dungeness crabs and crab cocktails made therefrom at "the wharf" (Fisherman's Wharf)
-salmon right off the boat
-hangtown fry (eggs, bacon and oysters cooked together like an omelet)
-"It's It" (vanilla ice cream sandwiched between 2 oatmeal cookies and covered with chocolate)
-about a thousand varieties of locally made wine (made from locally grown grapes)
-Irish Coffee (they claim to have invented it at the Buena Vista Cafe)
-chicken Tetrazinni (allegedly created by the chef at the Palace Hotel to honor opera singer Louisa Tetrazinni)

Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/07/11 08:00:06 (permalink)
Pasties are unique to areas where mining, especially underground, took place. It would have been baked and wrapped in a towel still warm, and carried in a tin pail for the miners lunch. As it was rolled with a heavy crust on the side where the crust's joined the miner, who's hands would be extremely dirty by the time lunch came around, could hold the heavy crust, eat the meat filling and throw the crust away to avoid contamination. In southeast Wisconsin's lead mining region they are credited to Cornish miners but the Italian Calzone may also be from such a utilitarian lunch pail
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Brookquarry, my former mother-in-law hails originally from Duluth, Minnesota, and when I lived in California she constantly served pasties...and she said they were unique to Minnesota! Hmmm...

From what I understand, they are also unique to Michigan and Montana.
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/07/11 12:49:44 (permalink)
not to repeat previous posts, but pasties are also common in the narrow area of Pennsylvania known as the Slate Belt (basically north of Brethlehem and Easton south of the Poconos and encompassing the towns of Bangor, Pen Argyl and Wind Gap among others)Pasties were indeed taken down into the slate quarry holes carried in blickeys (metal lunch buckets) for the miners lunch. They were indeed introduced by Cornish slate miners but were rapidly adopted by all other ethnic groups.Today although the quarrys are all but gone, pasties are still a cherished food of the area. They are on the menu in all local diners, are a frequent item for church and service organizations fund raisers.There are at least two local retail shops where they may be bought fresh. Maries Pasties outside of Bangor and Mr. Pastie in Pen Argyl.
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/07/12 18:59:39 (permalink)
"Milwaukee Fish Fry is fried or baked cod, served with coleslaw (vinegar or creamy, depending on the restaurant), potato pancakes (served with applesauce on request), french fries, tartar sauce, lemons & rye bread w/butter. I've heard Serb Hall is the best in Milwaukee, but I dunno about that"...

Serb Hall is terrible. I brought Jane & Michael there a few months ago because I had heard it was all that, but the fish was the texture of a sponge, and the service was in my opinion, incompetent. Harsh, I know, but I really had heard such great things.

There are many, many other places for good fish in Milwaukee....

But on a different note, don't forget Usinger's sausages, panczski (I know I'm mispelling, but it's a Polish pastry made only on Good Friday I think? or Ash Wednesday???), smelt fry, and Milwaukee's south side Latino elotes, the Mexican-style corn-on-the-cob served at street stalls.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/07/12 19:40:04 (permalink)
Actually, my personal favorite place for fish fry is here in Waukesha, Weissgerber's. It's right off I-94 on Hwy T south. A little expensive, but SO worth it.

I know they're pronounced Poonch-ka's, but I've no idea how to spell them. You mean the little donut-like things with the jam in the middle, right?

Joey Buona's has free pizza during happy hour Friday nights from 4pm-6pm, they are on Clybourn & Water, used to be Bret Favre's Steakhouse. Their Italian Nachos ROCK!!! Their Italian Beef is trucked in from Chicago.
kdibble
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/21 17:31:35 (permalink)
My two cents

Pueblo CO
Green Chili - Which is basically pork gravy with lots of green chilies in it. Put it on everything.

Slopper - What you call an open face hamburger with green chili on it.

Michigan in general - Fried Lake Perch. Nothing better
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/21 19:20:29 (permalink)
Typical Southern food, red eye gravy, sweet potatoes, country ham, pinto beans, crowder peas, fried cabbage, green beans with potatoes, fried okra, fried corbread, slaw, fried pork chops, etc. I had never heard of chocolate gravy until I moved to this part of Georgia, and now I find it quite satisfying when I am craving something sweet for breakfast...
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/21 22:22:17 (permalink)
ok,a quick hello!! from Cleveland, ohio. First on our local list, is the perch dinner. This is lake erie perch, deep fried and served with coleslaw, mac and cheese, and fries. Also, keilbasa, served with saurkrat and perogies, smothered in sauted onions and sour cream. Our favorite breakfast is called farmer breakfast, fried potatos with scrambled eggs, bacon, ham or sausage all in one skillet, topped with cheese. At our local outdoor market, the sandwich is sausage, saurkraut, raw onion and mustard piled in a bun. Kolaches are the dessert, a flaky sour cream pastry, filled with jams of different flavors. Cleveland is a true melting pot, so we also have our own little Italy, where resturant owners try to outdo each other with pizza, pasta, etc.
steveindurham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/23 10:27:21 (permalink)
Glad to see the mentions of liver mush, red eye gravy, chicken bog, fried okra, brunwick stew, fried banana peppers and barbeuce hash on this board.

Here are some others that I'm familiar with that have not been mentioned from my review of the thread:

Alamance county (Burlington, NC) cheese dogs - a hot dog bun with 2 long thick strands of American cheese in a regular hot dog bun with mustard, chili and onions (All the way) or add slaw to be all the way with slaw. This is ususlaly steamed in a pressurized bun steamer to make the cheese hot and gooey.

Corn sticks - unique to Eastern NC barbecue restaurants. Long fried trapezoid pieces of cornmeal.

Fried salmon patties - usually served on toast or in a biscuit.

Hoe Cake - Served at Hillbilly Hideaway in Walnut cove, NC. A gian large biscuit served on a pizza style pan. People usually tear off the section that they want.

Conch fritters

Yucca

Banana pudding - usually found only in the South

Sundrop soft drink

Bleinheim ginger ale - comes in glass bottles

Watergate salad - Cogealed salad with marshmellows and walnuts (Yummy).

State fair food - deep fried turkey, deep fried Snickers, deep fried Twinkies, roasted corn, funnel cake, fried dough

stridge
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/23 16:42:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Michael Stern
[br
I never knew Italian beef was unique to Chicago ... until I moved away and couldn't find it anywhere.

We are extremely fortunate that a guy from Chicago opened up a place here called Lucky Dog. There are 3 or 4 locations now (one in Round Rock - Yes!), that serve Italian Beefs, Chicago Dogs, cheese fries, sausage sandwiches, etc. He "imports" all the right ingredients from Chicago, and it's wonderful to be able to get a version of everything here.

However, the Beefs just don't taste quite as good as Al's or Mr. Beef. Must be something in the water...
I found a place in Enterprise AL that has I Beef and Chicago dogs (VIENA).tHE KIDS SAID SOME GUY FROM pANAMA cITY "imports" them
BaconBits
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/24 10:39:38 (permalink)

I scanned these pages - so correct me if I failed to catch someone else's post about Jersey's greatest food asset... the gravy cheese fry, otherwise known as, DISCO FRIES!

As far as I know this roadside delicacy is indigenous to the Diner State. Fries (no specifications on width or variety) covered in either provolone cheese or mozzarella and then drenched in gravy.

This dish is the ultimate in late night diner runs as well as snowy Sunday comfort food. A must-have by all.
cleveland66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/24 11:11:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ejh1110

I scanned these pages - so correct me if I failed to catch someone else's post about Jersey's greatest food asset... the gravy cheese fry, otherwise known as, DISCO FRIES!

As far as I know this roadside delicacy is indigenous to the Diner State. Fries (no specifications on width or variety) covered in either provolone cheese or mozzarella and then drenched in gravy.

This dish is the ultimate in late night diner runs as well as snowy Sunday comfort food. A must-have by all.

There are about a million places through the sunny South that serve cheese fries, with gravy. The cheese used in this particular redneck of the woods, though, is usually shredded orange cheddar, or orange American.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/25 19:01:06 (permalink)
That cheese, gravy & french fry thing is called Poutine in Canada, eh?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7694
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/26 13:37:51 (permalink)
I always thought that Northern New England was Fries n Gravy territory?
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/26 14:09:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I always thought that Northern New England was Fries n Gravy territory?

The first time that I even saw Fries n Gravy was near the tip of the Great Northern Penisula in Newfoundland at a bed and breakfast place that served 3 meals a day. (This was in the mid 70's) We sat down to dinner the first evening and were served wonderfully fresh baked cod and fries n gravy. I could not believe my eyes but "dug" in and ate the whole thing! They really were delicious. I hate to admit it but I did eat them the whole month that we spent there." />
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/26 16:32:51 (permalink)
My parents were transplants from Missouri, but I grew up in East Tennessee at the "eyebrow" of the Smokies, Athens. (That is an honest to god reference from an ad campaign in the 40's). My mom adjusted well to making the fried okra, skillet cornbread, fresh corn, etc. , but it was Mrs. Edgemon (my surrogate grandma), our next door neighbor who introduced me to the specialties of the region.
Poke Salet, which you had to know when to harvest or it would poison you.
Pickled pig's feet cause you used every part of the pig (they butchered their own).
Smoked bacon, smoked in their own smokehouse and smoked sausage packed in cloth sacks with hot pepper and lots of sage and delicious on cathead biscuits (my mom made toast or at the best rolls). Country ham (we got them as Xmas presents) and red eye gravy.
Fried corn which I've never been able to duplicate.
Squirrel, in sawmill gravy. "The most fantastic thing I ever tasted," I told my Mom. She about died when I told her that, and wouldn't let me eat there for weeks.
She taught my Mom to cook collards and green beans with ham hocks til they were super tender and not mush, and they were not greasy either.
Sorghum molasses which they grew and processed themselves.
Stack cake with apple butter. Sweet potato and chess pies!
Muscadines off the vine or in jelly or jam-which seemed to be simmering on the stove or cooling on the front porch all summer.
I don't recall Grandma.E going to the grocery alot, but when she did it was mostly for staples like flour, salt and sugar. It seemed everything they ate came from their land or the wild area around. They are a dying breed. Just as roadfood places seem to be a dying lot, so it seems is that way of life. When I went back there for a visit, I was sad to see their sweet little farm covered with a new subdivision. Ah well-at least I have memories.
GourmetteDaisy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/27 01:04:22 (permalink)
Contrary to popular belief, cooks in Mississippi do NOT fry water;
however, just about anything else is fair game. Examples: dill pickle
slices, green tomatoes, farm-raised catfish, dried fruit pies, sweet
potatoes (like french fries), asparagus, raw cucumber slices, onion
slices, eggplant, yellow squash, et cetera. I've enjoyed this thread and have been making notes of foods I want to try and those I don't want near me. Which brings me to chitlins (chitterlings). Considered a delicacy by many, they can be boiled or deep fried but will never see my plate

I've been reading and trying to think of foods (along with those above) that can be found in most cafes (and every little town has at least one cafe.......larger cities have restaurants).

So, here's my Mississippi list:
Kudzu Jelly; Chicken & Dumplings;
Mustard, Collard, and Turnip Greens;
Dried White Butterbeans; Potato Wheels; Fried Creamed Corn;
Porcupine Meatballs; Meat Loaf; Yellow Squash Casserole;
Cheese Straws; Chili Sauce (similar to Chow-Chow); Muscadine Hot Sauce; Macaroni and Cheese (made from scratch);
Pork Ribs - slow cooked for 8-10 hours; Pig's Ears, Feet, Snouts; Brunswick Stew - sometimes made with chicken and beef but can include rabbit, duck, squirrel, deer, and/or possum;
Hoppin'John; Pear Salad; Coca-Cola Cake, Coca-Cola Salad; Teacakes; Angel Biscuits; Cornbread - made ONLY with self-rising cornmeal, eggs, sweet milk, and Cricso; Pimento Cheese; Potato Soup;
Salmon Croquettes; Venison or Wild Turkey anything;
Frog Legs; Muffalettas; and Hominy and Hominy Grits.

That's basically foods in the northern half of the state - the Gulf Coast is another list for another post.........I'm starving right now - guess I'll go "fry" something

Daisy

cleveland66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/27 08:31:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GourmetteDaisy

Contrary to popular belief, cooks in Mississippi do NOT fry water;
however, just about anything else is fair game. Daisy

I grew up (okay, grew older) in Mississippi. Lived in a little town called Ruth, and went to school in Brookhaven. I can say, without a doubt, if MS cooks could figure out how to fry water, and serve it with gravy, they would!
GourmetteDaisy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/27 14:09:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cleveland66
I grew up (okay, grew older) in Mississippi. Lived in a little town called Ruth, and went to school in Brookhaven. I can say, without a doubt, if MS cooks could figure out how to fry water, and serve it with gravy, they would!

ROFL - you just may be correct! Know Brookhaven, but not Ruth.
The former Superintendent of Schools here was in Brookhaven for about
28 years, but I think the only places he ever ate were at school or
home. When I asked him for a good place to eat in Brookhaven, he
recommended CRACKER BARREL" />
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/27 18:39:41 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cleveland66
I

ROFL - you just may be correct! Know Brookhaven, but not Ruth.
The former Superintendent of Schools here was in Brookhaven for about
28 years, but I think the only places he ever ate were at school or
home. When I asked him for a good place to eat in Brookhaven, he
recommended CRACKER BARREL" />

One time several years back I called the Billings Montana Visitors information center and asked about a place to get good regional local cuisine and the guy recommended Red Lobster!" /> This is no joke. It actually happenned!!

emskyrooney
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/28 11:36:34 (permalink)
I've only posted a few times but had to put my 2 cents in as this thread brought back a lot of good memories!

I've been living in Boston for 4 years but grew up in Easton, PA- Lehigh Valley- my family has been there since 1730 and we're not going anywhere!

Things I always thought of as unique or at least extremely popular in the Lehigh Valley are:

Pork Roll Sandwiches
Scrapple
Shoo-fly Pie (wet or dry bottom)
A-Treat soda- specifically Birch Beer
Great potato chips and pretzels
Deepfried pierogies at county fairs
Faschnachts (not sure I spelled that right) in Lent
Pasties (my dad was eating one last night when I called home- my mom's out of town and it's the only thing he can make himself- wish I could find them up here in Boston somewhere!)
Tastycakes
Schafer's Bologna
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/28 13:05:11 (permalink)
quote:

Fried Creamed Corn;

Now you have me stumped. How do you fry creamed corn? I would like to try it.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4588
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/28 13:54:47 (permalink)
....and Daisy, what are potato wheels?
queenb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/28 23:05:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 6star

quote:

Fried Creamed Corn;

Now you have me stumped. How do you fry creamed corn? I would like to try it.

You start with fresh corn, cut it off the cob (scrape the cob to get all the juice out!), and put it in a skillet with a bunch of butter and some milk and sort of stir-fry it, not too hot. Every now and then stop stirring so you can get some little brown bits in there.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/09/28 23:49:39 (permalink)
Thank you, queenb. I will try it. It sounds easy to make, and sounds like it would be very tasty. I like deep-fried corn-on-the-cob, which I discovered at a restaurant in Gulf Shores, AL, some years ago.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/10/25 19:41:02 (permalink)
just thought I would bring back this thread because I really really think it needs to be brought back in the spot light.

What I find interesting is that some regional treats seem to share commonalities with different states or in some cases different parts of the country for example

1. Chicken Pie- Central Connecticut and Vermont
2. Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches- Indiana and Iowa
3. Pasties- Montana and Michigan.
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/10/26 00:10:09 (permalink)
In East Tennessee, Polk Salat, a wild plant that is picked very young in the spring time. Boiled in three different waters then scrambled in with eggs in bacon grease. Supposedly poisonous if picked after the plant grows. Also thought of as a blood thinner.

And its goooooooooood!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/10/26 00:49:04 (permalink)
Here's one I'm curious about. My mom, a very good Hoosier cook, use to make and can something she called chili sauce each summer. I know it contained tomatoes, peppers, various spices and other ingredients that I'm not knowledgable of. It was not used in chili. It was used in several of her meat dishes, specifically cubed steak and pork chops. It was also used as a relish on burgers. Is this a regional item or is this something that exists more or less all over. My mom is gone now and I have a single jar of her " Hoosier relish" left to enjoy.
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/10/27 21:27:35 (permalink)
Yes Pogo, it is goooood! I haven't had any in years because I don't know how to pick it, but I found out recently that my mother-in-law knows how to scavenge for it. She also goes morel hunting up in the hills of the Cumberland Gap area a couple of times a year. I hope she will share her secrets and her good eats with me next year. Also, I saw scrapple listed up above-we have that in East Tennessee too along with souse meat. Not particulary fond it that though.
leslie1787
Cheeseburger
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2004/10/27 21:29:44 (permalink)
Something else I just thought of Chow Chow! Love that stuff on beans or burgers or anything that needs a bit of relish.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1