Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location

Page: << < ..1617 Showing page 17 of 17
Author
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2011/12/08 09:18:49 (permalink)
I posted to this thread 7-1/2 years ago and cannot now believe that I failed to mention New Mexico's green chile cheeseburgers.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2392
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2011/12/08 11:42:33 (permalink)
I can't believe I have been on Roadfood for 6 years and have never seen this thread before!  I don't know what percentage of RF is "unique" anymore these days.  Given how easily food and people can travel, very few things stay completely in their region of origin entirely.  Though I'm guessing that lutefisk, geoducks, brain sandwiches, Indian pudding, Grape-Nuts pudding, St. Mary's stuffed ham, half-smokes and beef-on-weck just to name a few, probably will not be rolled out on a national level anytime soon.

When I think about the foods I grew up eating in Central NY (Rome/Utica/Syracuse) the word "specialty", rather than "unique", comes to mind.  By specialty I mean foods that the area is known for, does particularly well, can be found at many purveyors and have a long standing history in the city/region.  

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but here goes:  chicken riggies, half moon cookies, tomato pie, Utica style greens (sauteed escarole), frettas (mixed egg-based breakfast scramble), pasta hats, bbq/hot ham sandwiches, pusties (aka pastaciotti, a sweet pastry/mini-tart), Turkey Joints (a chocolate candy and definitely unique to Rome, NY as they are only MADE there), Hofmann hot dogs and I know these were mentioned in this thread before but salt potatoes, spiedies and Cornell-style BBQ chicken.  
post edited by billyboy - 2011/12/08 11:49:58
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
Re:Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2011/12/10 04:37:11 (permalink)
Welcome back, dear thread!
Here's some additions from my travels: (I have eaten all of them.........)
New Mexico: Green chile. Green Chile, Greeen chile.nCalabacitas, and calabacita burrito (vegetables, such as squash, corn, green chile. Sometimes with cheese). Posole. Green Chile Stew. Caldillo (soup). Chile rellenos. (cooked whole green chile stuffed with cheese). Indian Tacos (served on large puffy taco). Biscochitos (cookies)/bunelos (fry bread). Cactus jelly. Pinons (pine nuts). Green chile. Green chile.
VA: Peanut soup. Pumpkin butter. Apple salsa. Apple candy (soft). 
Pennsylvania: Pretzels, pretzels, pretzels. My fav is "Unique Pretzels" from Reading, made with winter wheat and very crunchy. Mushrooms, mushroom soup.
NYC: Eggancheeseonaroll. Breakfast staple, esp. in delis and food carts. Add hot sauce or ketchup. Fried bologna.
NJ: Taylor Pork roll. Cranberry.Blueberry. Tomato (Garden State!)
MD: Esp. near Baltimore. Pit beef with horseradish and onions mmmmmmmmmmm. Bay Seasoning potato chips.
FLA (NY too): Cuban coffee. Better than espresso!
DE: Crab puffs. Delaware crab seasoning. (mustard, garlic, black pepper, cayenne - sprinkle on everything).

Rocky Enfield
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2011/12/19 13:26:14 (permalink)
I am beginning to feel as if I live in a culinary wasteland (northern Indiana).  I have racked by brain trying to think of a regional speciality for the area I live in and can't come up with anything.  I suppose the breaded pork tenderloin could be considered by some as a Hoosier speciality (although I know of no local restaurants that do a really good one). 

There are some very fine places to eat but I just can't think of a regional specialty.  The Amish style restaurants and homes serve mighty fine food but it is probably the same as you could get in other Amish communities around the country.

Rise n Roll donuts make the single finest donut (cinnamon/caramel) that I have ever eaten but donuts can hardly be considered a regional specialty.

We have a plethora of ethic restaurants in the area putting up some great food but again not anything in the regional specialty category.
If anyone an tell me a regional specialty for northern Indiana and where I can find it I would appreciate it.
Until then I will have to be content trying regional specialties while traveling around the country.
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1620
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2011/12/19 18:24:55 (permalink)
East coast of FL...rock shrimp, broiled with melted butter on the side.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2013/02/06 11:49:56 (permalink)
Time to bring back an oldie but a goody!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6648
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2013/02/06 12:09:28 (permalink)
hey wj,
Betcha don't know of any regional cuisine for breakfast.  JUST KIDDING!!!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10083
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2013/02/07 10:00:59 (permalink)
WJ-
While this is undoubtedly a fine thread, your other one with photos of the different regional foods broken down by state is even better.  I hope you eventually find time to finish it.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2013/02/07 10:11:39 (permalink)
buffetbuster

WJ-
While this is undoubtedly a fine thread, your other one with photos of the different regional foods broken down by state is even better.  I hope you eventually find time to finish it.

buffetbuster,

I was thinking about that thread. I think I'm up to "New Mexico", I was thinking of continuing after the summer trip to New Mexico so I can add on lots of new stuff, but then I realized all the wonderful places I've been to that  I haven't added on to  (Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Arizona) so perhaps I'll update the photos for the states I've already added on in the meantime....

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2013/02/08 07:46:02 (permalink)
The same things I love about Roadfood are the same things that I love about regional cuisines.  Those differences, and the unique-ness of it all. 
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location 2013/02/08 07:47:31 (permalink)
Off the top of my head the only thing that I might suggest is goetta, a Cincinnati tradition. 

hey wj,
Betcha don't know of any regional cuisine for breakfast.  JUST KIDDING!!!!

Page: << < ..1617 Showing page 17 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1