Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC?

Author
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
2011/09/02 10:46:06 (permalink)

Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC?

If you could go somewhere REALLY unique or just plain fantastic where would you go in NYC?

I will be there Sept 14th for The Big 4 Festival at Yankee Stadium. We're leaving in the morning so we'll be there all day and can go anywhere.

9 Replies Related Threads

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1312
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/02 10:57:46 (permalink)
    Short answer: yes. Longer answer: There are so many choices that you have to give us SOME parameters. For example, how much do you want to pay? Are you looking for roadfood type place or a 5 star restaurant (btw, according to food writer Arthur Schwartz, and confirmed a number of times by my wife and myself, if you are going to a top restaurant, your best bet for a great meal is to give them the truth: you are only in New York for one day, you don't normally go to restaurants like that, and you want it to be an especially good experience. The way to get the worst possible meal is pretentiousness, unless you are a VERY good actor.

Bart
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2407
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/02 12:16:16 (permalink)
    Hi yuppicide!  What is the Big 4 Festival?  I'll echo bartl and ask for more info as it will probably increase the odds that you'll get more answers that you will find helpful.  

I'll throw in my recommendation for Shopsin's in the Essex Street Market on the Lower east Side.  Pricey, really good food, definitely unique and run by a family that goes to the beat of their own drum, to say the least.

Here are two threads (with pics) on my and my friends' experiences there that explain a bit about the place:
    http://www.roadfood.com/F...570&high=shopsin's  (About halfway down the page in this thread is The Travelin' Man's write-up of our experience there and mine starts on Page 2)

http://www.roadfood.com/F...458&high=shopsin's  (My follow-up visit with my girlfriend)

Their website:  http://www.shopsins.com/

Have fun in the city!!  

yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/02 12:36:27 (permalink)
    The Big 4 Festival is at Yankee Stadium. They only did 2 shows in the United States I believe.. one in California and now this one. Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. Tickets were pricey.. the nosebleed seats were about $95 each, plus Ticketmaster fees, plus I paid like $20 to join Megadeth's fanclub just so I could be able to order tickets a day early. I didn't want to miss out.

I got them as a birthday gift for my Girlfriend's brother for the 3 of us to go, plus train tickets will be another $88.50 and parking at the train station.

So, I'm already in the hole a bundle. So, I'd say I'd like to keep the food around $100 for 3 people tops, that price not including tax or tip, obviously the lower the better.

I'm not opposed to sitting down, but I also like street food a lot, so either are good options.

I thought of Jekyll & Hyde, but I've already been there. The building is neat, but the food is just average. It's kind of like an overpriced TGI Fridays type place.. you're paying more because they have the actors and the ambiance. I like that the bathroom is hidden.

I also thought maybe of going to some place like Pommes Frites if they're open, but that's just fries. We'd still want to get something else to eat I think. I've already been there a few times and love the sauces.

I also thought about Fatty Cue or whatever, but I'm only there to try the master fat myself, not really interested in the rest of their menu.

Originally I was just going to find a good pizza place, but asking a question like that opens up a can of worms. There's so many of them, but it would be nice if my Girlfriend and her Brother experience real pizza not that train station crap, or that Don Pepi (is the the name crap). We've only got one or two good places in Jersey that I know of.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4585
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/02 13:17:40 (permalink)
    Quality NYC eats on the (relatively) cheap:

Patsy's original location in Harlem for Pizza
    Katz's for pastrami
    Knish at Yona Schimmel's (just down the street from Katz's)
    Ess-a-Bagel for Bagels and cream cheese
    Papaya King for their Recession Special (dogs and a papaya drink)
    Nathans at Coney Island for a dog and fries
    Cheeseburger and a Concrete (sorta kinda like a thick milkshake) at Shake Shack
    Sliders at White Mana in Hackensack (a little nw of NYC proper)
    Rippers at Rutts Hut in Clifton NJ (a little nw of NYC proper)
    Dumplings at Prosperity Dumpling or Vanessa's Dumplings
    Chicken and Lamb Halal Plate from Famous Halal Guys on 53rd & 6th
    Doughnuts from the Doughnut Plant
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/09/02 13:18:49
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/02 13:49:31 (permalink)
    That post was awesome. Shopsin's looks nice even though tiny. Those pretzels look awesome.. I loooove truffle.
    nixienox
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/03 18:13:19 (permalink)
    When you get off the train in Penn Station, it would be easy to walk to a nearby Korean restaurant-or seek out some good street food. Help support the growing food truck scene. http://newyorkstreetfood.com/
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1312
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/04 18:35:17 (permalink)
    I will, as I frequently do, recommend a cuisine which is definitely New York in nature, although it has been branching out a bit over the years: Comidas Chinas Y Criollas. And once again, I will recommend Flor de Mayo as the place, as it throws Peruvian food into the normal Chinese and Cuban cuisines (order a Peruvian roast chicken for the table; it's marinated in herbs, spices and fruit juices and is absolutely delicious). I've only been to the Amsterdam Avenue location.

Bart
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/09 15:37:37 (permalink)
    There's a Peruvian restaurant in Dunellen, NJ.. they have an appetizer of potato in some kind of sauce. Freakin amazing. I've no clue what you call it since I haven't been there in years and don't live there anymore. I used to get 2 or 3 appetizers and eat those as a meal I loved it so much.

OH! I found it and I totally forgot about the hot dogs! I'd ask them to grill them extra crispy:

Papa a La Huancaina
    Sliced Potatoes cover with cream & cheese peruvian style

Salchipapas
    Fried hot dogs over french fries server with salad & special sauce

http://planetchickenrest....mp;id=57&Itemid=47
    post edited by yuppicide - 2011/09/09 16:39:50
    caitlyn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Unique eats or just plain fantastic eats in NYC? 2011/09/14 20:04:56 (permalink)
    nyc food? you can eat dirt cheap or go broke eating in manhattan. for cheap i like halal chicken, its a food cart on 53rd and 6th. theres also endless cheap pies. expensive? ha. lets see...wd~50, per se, momofuku, peter luger.....it goes on and on.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1