Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3736
2013/06/15 18:36:21 (permalink)

Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque

This is a great Roadfood destination.  The owner is a genial and most interesting host.  He takes great pride in his restaurant and in his food.

He is very kind to his employees and it shows up in the service.  He has an awesome menu.  I have eaten there many times;  with  family  and with friends.  No one has had anything negative to say.

If I was able to go there tonight, I would order the cream of crab soup,  the brisket  or the smoked corned beef  with sides of his outstanding fried potatos and  great greens.  

Darnn,  I am cooking tonight. We are having Copper River Salmon   and  that helps make up for not going to Chubby's.

84 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/06/15 20:36:11 (permalink)
    I'm bringing my own spoon for some of that cream of crab soup.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/06/15 20:54:10 (permalink)
    SarahKelsven

Michael Hoffman

I'm bringing my own spoon for some of that cream of crab soup.

You better bring a loan application, too Mikey. Have you seen the prices? Of course, maybe Fatty and your wife can work out an "agreement".

"Good food ain't cheap"
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/06/15 21:03:42 (permalink)
    I see the idiot's back with another new name.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/06/15 21:05:51 (permalink)
    For some reason, this thread is a lightning rod and tends to draw some strange post.  If it continues, I will lock.  Sorry.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/06/15 21:15:30 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

For some reason, this thread is a lightning rod and tends to draw some strange post.  If it continues, I will lock.  Sorry.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

With all respect to you,  why do threads have to be locked because a dumbo comes on with these rude statements.  The imposter should be locked out and not the thread!
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/06/15 22:04:50 (permalink)
    Greymo is correct , how come the trouble makers get away scott free and the genuine posters are are the ones who suffer. Its just not fair , 2 threads were locked today by the time I came home from work today. Its just not fair, they seem to target certain long time posters.
    Big Frank
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 09:52:38 (permalink)
    My wife and I stopped at Chubby's for lunch on Saturday. The meal was great. My wife had the Brisket sandwich and I tried the Smoked Corned Beef sandwich. The meat on both sandwiches was moist and full of flavor. A very generous amount too. The homemade sides were also very good. After reading all of the rave reviews about the beans we got a order to share. I wasn't disappointed.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 10:20:57 (permalink)
    Greymo

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

With all respect to you,  why do threads have to be locked because a dumbo comes on with these rude statements.  The imposter should be locked out and not the thread!

Sounds very reasonable to me. 
    In fact, it appears that such has been done.
    Thanks!

-----------------------

Chubby's is definitely on my list the next time we visit our place in NoVa.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 11:40:28 (permalink)
    Greymo..................intriguing post.

We ate at Chubby's  once.  To compare what I was served to good, smokey BBQ would be like comparing Panda Express to good Chinese food.  I did not even bother posting about it, out of kindness.  The food was mediocre (to my taste), lacking the smokiness I demand.  It was also quite expensive.  Certainly not as good as several others nearby.

Chalk it up to disparate palates, but I would never recommend this BBQ to anyone.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 11:42:05 (permalink)
    Food threads need photos...

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 13:35:40 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom

Greymo..................intriguing post.

We ate at Chubby's  once.  To compare what I was served to good, smokey BBQ would be like comparing Panda Express to good Chinese food.  I did not even bother posting about it, out of kindness.  The food was mediocre (to my taste), lacking the smokiness I demand.  It was also quite expensive.  Certainly not as good as several others nearby.

Chalk it up to disparate palates, but I would never recommend this BBQ to anyone.

My post was intriguing?  Hardly!  It is just my opinion of a place that I really enjoy.  ( You do seem to disagree with me on most topics anyway.)  That is too bad, as you live so close to me that we could have our own private Roadfood get together, any time.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 14:31:21 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great place
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 15:41:49 (permalink)
    Greymo

You do seem to disagree with me on most topics anyway.

Well, I'm not sure about that, but we certainly do seem to disagree on what makes for good BBQ.  Have you tried any of the Korean BBQ places on US 40 in EC?  My son and I go to them quite often when he is home from university.  Grilling ribs, beef and pork belly at your table while Korean Pop Music plays in the background is quite an experience.  You should try it!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 16:10:21 (permalink)
    Rt 40 in Ellicott City area is a mecca for good Korean food.  We go to Honey Pig and Shin Chon quite often and love the food.  We do not like to have to go through the wall of smoke that surrounds Honey Pig coming from all the young smokers who are standing around just outside  the door. 
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 16:30:00 (permalink)
    See, something we agree on!  Shin Chon is certainly the cream of the crop and Honey Pig is fun (although very loud and hectic).  We also like Lighthouse Tofu & BBQ for their tofu stews and Kimko Seafood for their AYCE sushi and Korean buffet.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/03 19:54:12 (permalink)
    Greymo-I am certain we have similar tastes in food. I know Lisa and Michael thought Chubbys food was fantastic-and hopefully we can break bread there some day. I certainly, if able, would support any of our roadfood  friends restaurants. If they weren't good, in my opinion, I wouldn't comment. We all do have our tastes, but I would never say anything negative-especially on a public forum such as this.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/04 19:43:54 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom

Greymo

Well, I'm not sure about that, but we certainly do seem to disagree on what makes for good BBQ.  Have you tried any of the Korean BBQ places on US 40 in EC?  My son and I go to them quite often when he is home from university.  Grilling ribs, beef and pork belly at your table while Korean Pop Music plays in the background is quite an experience.  You should try it!

In WHAT WORLD is grilling good BBQ??

Are you sure you were at Chubby's and not Tubby's??
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/04 20:08:24 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Treetop Tom

Greymo

Korean barbeque isn't barbeque. It's just grilled meat. It's very good, but barbeque it is not.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2410
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/04 20:49:08 (permalink)
    I'll bet that the Koreans who have been eating Korean Barbeque for many decades would disagree with you on that point, Mr. Hoffman. Ditto for those eating Santa Maria style Barbeque aka tri-tip grilled over hot coals. Barbeque has many meanings and variations, each with its own history, proponents and as valid as any other style.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/04 22:59:21 (permalink)
    CajunKing

In the KOREAN WORLD.  Believe it or not, other cultures have their regional approaches to BBQ.  Hence, the use of the adjective "Korean" describing the noun "BBQ."  Meat grilled at the table over a coal brazier is how they prefer to do it.  However, I don't get hung up over semantics when delicious food is involved.  Look at it this way - my granny fried chicken in a mixture of lard, butter and bacon grease in a roasting pan in a hot oven, my mother and I use(d) Crisco in an iron skillet over a gas range, my favorite bar & grill fries wings in Frymax in a deep-fryer and I've been known to get take-out chicken from Royal Farm that is quick-fried in a pressure fryer.  Each uses a different technique, frying medium, temperature and length of frying.  Which of them results in "fried chicken"?
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2013/09/05 10:19:29
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 06:36:13 (permalink)
    Actually Mr. Hoffman is correct.  Unless the Korean slow smokes their various meats over indirect heat, it is grilled.  Grilled meat is not the same as barbecue according to the definition.  Both taste very good but it is not the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 09:16:11 (permalink)
    More cowbell! Er, I mean more photos. Say what you want about Chubby's BBQ but I've been around a long time and I have never tasted better corned beef than from Chubby's. This is Chubby's takeout at home. Everything from Chubby's but the green beans.

Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 09:34:28 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

Actually Mr. Hoffman is correct.  Unless the Korean slow smokes their various meats over indirect heat, it is grilled.  Grilled meat is not the same as barbecue according to the definition.  Both taste very good but it is not the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I'll personally go out and tell the half-dozen or so Korean BBQ restaurants within a mile of me that they must immediately change their signs to read "Korean Grilled Meats" because they are engaged in false advertising.  I'll also tell the seafood restaurants they cannot call their fried crab patties "cakes" since they are not "an item of soft, sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients, baked and often decorated."  Because, that is the definition of what a cake is, after all.  The "chicken fingers" on the kids menu at the diner will have to be renamed, of course, since they are not "each of the four slender jointed parts attached to either hand (or five, if the thumb is included)."  And it goes without saying that, in a nod to my Acadian brethren, I will personally not rest until the abomination that is "French Toast" is removed from every menu and replaced with my beloved pain perdu.  Look, I simply asked Greymo about some restaurants we both happen to enjoy.  I didn't raise them up as the penultimate BBQ.  That's what they call it, so that's how I referred to it.

Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 09:47:34 (permalink)
    Can't we all just get along...and enjoy the food??
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 09:54:47 (permalink)
    Greymo

Rt 40 in Ellicott City area is a mecca for good Korean food. 

And other "Korean specialties" as well. 

Tasteless joke aside, anything that does not involve smoke is not barbecue (a.k.a. 'Cue).

As I understand it, the first European explorers of what is now the Carolina coastal/pines area were taught by the natives the technique of how to smoke feral hog in a pit.  That, to this day, is called 'Cue.  And, to this day, its true masters practice their art in Eastern Carolina.

The other commonly used word, barbeque (a.k.a. 'Que or BBQ), can mean - depending on region/ethnicity - either smoked or grilled; prime example:  "Put another shrimp on the barbie". 

(Hell, in Pittsburgh it means a tomato-based sauce on chipped, chopped ham!)

I, too, find Korean BBQ to be a delight.  But, ("just sayin' ") it's not barbecue. 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/05 09:57:57
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 10:53:09 (permalink)
    I wasn't trying to start an argument, although I do enjoy aggravating some folks. I like Korean barbeque. It's just not barbeque. I like Cincinnati chili, too. But it isn't chili. Heck, I even like Taco Bell, even though it's not Mexican.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6903
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 11:07:06 (permalink)
    Not a fan of Korean barbeque, can't stand Cincinnati chili and detest Taco Bell.

Give me Chubby's any day!!!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 11:49:35 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    I do enjoy aggravating some folks
    wonder who

Michael HoffmanI like Cincinnati chili, too. But it isn't chili

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/09/05 11:51:23
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 11:55:14 (permalink)
    Phishmonger

Can't we all just get along...and enjoy the food??

You must be new here.  j/k

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1