Barnbuster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
2005/02/22 21:57:32 (permalink)

Untold Restaurant Stories

I get the feeling after reading Roadfood posts for the last 3 years,
that most of us worked in a restaurant of Fast Food joint, or still
work in a restaurant or fast food joint. I know from my times as a
grille man after high school, and a bartender through college, that there were times that "things" happened in the kitchen doing and after working hours. The "lost" bandage, the special "SPECIAL"
sauce, and the "lets try this and see what it tastes like", well you get the ideal.

29 Replies Related Threads

SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/22 23:13:50 (permalink)
    How about if the untold remains untold.
    Don't need such thoughts when I'm sitting munching on my favorite roadfood. . . epsecially if the wait staff sucks and I've let them know it in my sometimes subtle, sometimes not manner.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/22 23:56:51 (permalink)
    Here's one that shouldn't offend anyone's sensibilities (and I get where you're coming from, South Hillbilly.) It comes under the "Oldie But Goodie" category, but I find it funny.

I worked at a Denny's during two summers when I was home from college. One time, I heard yelling in the kitchen. I went in there, and a guy who'd started working there that very day was upset and had been the one yelling. The manager was doing her best to scold the head cook, who was smirking. Seems he'd sent the new guy on an emergency mission to "go get me a kettle of steam." I like to think I wouldn't have fallen for it. It's like ball players telling the bat boy to get a bat stretcher.

I'll add that, in two summers, I honestly never heard of anything more offensive being put into the food at my Denny's beyond the food itself. That was probably punishment enough.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 12:57:01 (permalink)
    Different strokes for different folks............I hardly call it refreshing to have someone bring up special special sauces and the like. It is bad enough to wonder what the kitchen looks like in some restaurants; let alone dwell or discuss what employees may or nay not be doing to our food!" />" />
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 13:35:12 (permalink)
    This is a catering, not restaurant story...but once while serving dinner at a high-end Christmas Gala at the Smithsonian in DC I dumped a few small potatoes in the purse of a wealthy socialite who stiffed a bunch of us waiters for $80 a piece. I never did get that $80 but I always smile when I think about her finding a few potatoes in her purse...
    Barnbuster
    Junior Burger
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 16:15:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

It amazes me that anyone could lurk here for the past 3 f%^#@g years and then the only thing to be contributed is a curiosity about the schlock that went on behind the scenes! Why don't you post this next to the fart gags in the other thread. At least you'll be in proper company. Think about contributing something positive.

Hmmm, lurking. And to think I was under the impression that I was enjoying the comments posted on this
    message board, and then I decided to...dare I say, PARTICIPATE! I thought that some of us "common folk"
    that actually worked in a fast food BURGER joint (thus my choice for this message board) might enjoy sharing a light hearted story from our younger days of some behind the scenes mischief. No more no less. I regret that I don't have the time to read every thread and dispense thousands of "knowledge pellets" from my "insider" PEZ dispenser, I have a job. SO back to lurking in the shadows for me. I'll let you, Carlton, handle those important, POSITIVE subjects such as: "What food makes you fart", "What did Elvis eat" and the ever popular, (and positive) "Glee Club Reunions".
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 17:48:50 (permalink)
    I think that "lighthearted" is not the right word to use when you want to recount the stories of employees that have messed around with the customer's food..............
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 17:56:38 (permalink)
    quote:

It amazes me that anyone could lurk here for the past 3 f%^#@g years and then the only thing to be contributed is a curiosity about the schlock that went on behind the scenes! Why don't you post this next to the fart gags in the other thread. At least you'll be in proper company. Think about contributing something positive.

Positive like this, you mean?

Posting this string of bile and then in the same breath calling for positive contributions seems a bit contradictory.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 18:00:43 (permalink)
    Perhaps I was a little too harsh of my criticism of this thread and the direction the poster wanted it to go, so I will delete my offensive post so as not to tarnish the good name of roadfood with my offensive remark.
    In return I would like the creator of the thread to advise if he is still involved in the food industry and to advise it's location so those of us who don't care for bandages or special "special" sauces with our food might avoid it.
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 18:04:09 (permalink)
    Eventhough I am new to Posting at Roadfood.com, I like the OP have been a long time lurker (just not as long). With that disclaimer out of the way, I am going to drop my 2cents.

I have to agree that I really don't want to know what makes the 'special sauce' really SPECIAL, I see no problem with some light-hearted behind the scenes stories. I rather got a kick out of the comment about the potato's and 'kettle of steam'. I am sure that is what the OP had in mind and that the inclusion of 'special special sauce' was probably not,in retrospect,his best choice. However, I have seen lots of threadslike "What Foods Make You Fart" and "What Did Elvis Eat". Not really my cup of tea, but, if I don't like the title of the thread I can just skip over it. The fact that we are all interested in different things is what keeps things going on these forums.

I would prefer to think that we are free to post (within the Terms of Use for the sight) anything that we think may be of interest to others. If folks are 'turned off' or dissatisfied with a subject then they can ignore that subject. If the subject is totalyout of line the moderators can pull the subject.

I don't think any poster, be they a newbie or the most senior poster, should jump on a person (including 'fake' vulgarity "f%^#@g") just because they don't like the subject.

just my 2cents,
    Dan
    ...putting on his flame retardant suit now...

harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 18:11:43 (permalink)
    I just don't like the sarcastic remark about the Glee Club. I'd also like to point the OP to a site much more appropriate for "behind the scenes" posts...http://www.bitterwaitress.com or http://www.stainedapron.com. The only behind the scenes I'm interested in is along the lines of Dennis Hays showing off his smokers to the Glee Club!
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 18:23:54 (permalink)
    Pacman,

I've certainly dished out your advice to others on here regarding avoiding topics you don't like and I apologize for not following my own advice. I also apologize to Mr Barnbuster for my offensive remarks and hope he will post some more (after he addresses my concern from above).
    Look, I don't consider myself a senior poster or anything like that. IMO everybody is allowed their 2 cents. I shot my mouth off without thinking first. It's a zen experience and time to move on.
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 18:37:44 (permalink)
    quote:

Pacman,

I've certainly dished out your advice to others on here regarding avoiding topics you don't like and I apologize for not following my own advice. I also apologize to Mr Barnbuster for my offensive remarks and hope he will post some more (after he addresses my concern from above).
    Look, I don't consider myself a senior poster or anything like that. IMO everybody is allowed their 2 cents. I shot my mouth off without thinking first. It's a zen experience and time to move on.

Spoken like a true gentleman.

Cheers, CP. Well done.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 18:38:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Pacman,

Nice advice Carlton. Lets move on

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 18:52:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Pacman,

CP has now officially apologized. 'Nuff Said 'bout that. Now I will give my short story to the masses; briefly

Once upon a time I was a GM @ a Wendy's OFH. One of my asst. mgr's. was in charge (I was OFF). This particular AM was making cash reductions at the registers (i.e. taking excess cash from same to be deposited in safe). To avoid scruntiny, it was customary to place said $$$ in a Wendy's sack. The AM stopped by the drive-thru window & placed excess money in bag. At the same time, a customer was @ window with an order to go of a burger, fries, & drink, etc. To make a long story short, the customer recieved their drink and a bag full of $$$, while the AM took a cheeseburger & an order of fries back to the office to be deposited into the safe...
    Barnbuster
    Junior Burger
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 19:09:11 (permalink)
    quote:

Pacman,

Wow! A real discussion with REAL opinions!! Carlton, there is no reason to withdraw any comment.
    I think all is fair on a message board, and I appreciate your true feelings. I don't think either of us
    will lose any sleep over this.
    These treads do get a bit boring (not to offend anyone!) so I thought I would shake things up.
    I was so glad to see people take a solid stand with their opinion. I think that the 2 actual behind
    the scenes stories were great, that's what I was looking for, that's it! And No, I don't work in the food
    industry, not since I was 17. So lets all take a deep breath, it's a message board about hamburgers!
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 20:21:13 (permalink)
    I'm enjoying the funny stories, especially, Tony, about the potatoes. My brother works in a convention hotel in Chicago, and it's incredible the depths to which allegedly sophisticated and financially endowed people will sink with people whom they think are their inferiors. Around here, the waitpersons are going to get more sympathy than the wealthy socialites, especially when the wealthy socialites act in such a way to make it clear THEY are the inferiors!

This can sometimes seem like an intimidating website, and we do act rather clubby from time to time. My first post was about Steak 'n Shake, and I couched my comment in the most careful language. This doesn't mean you shouldn't call out someone who's wrong, or, worse yet, insulting. Someone posted a link to an article about a book a New York native wrote that praises a local specialty, which was fine. However, the poster also managed to work in an insult to other cities' versions of the specialty. I have had my say. Have your say, too, Barnbuster, but remember what my brother always says: "You never elevate yourself by sinking to the level of others."
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15219
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 20:39:40 (permalink)

Hey just because no one in the Glee Club can carry a tune, we shouldn't be the object of ridicule. If you think our threads become 'War and Peace'-like, wait til Our Philly friends get the Tour going there... It's like reading the Birth of Western Civilization all at once (starring the original cast ) I know...I was there and contributed a chapter or two ! (Wanna see a photo of my last-year's Crabcake dinner?)
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3957
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 20:53:14 (permalink)
    Thank God I live on the West Coast. No one ever puts down L.A.!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 21:28:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

I'm enjoying the funny stories, especially, Tony, about the potatoes. My brother works in a convention hotel in Chicago, and it's incredible the depths to which allegedly sophisticated and financially endowed people will sink with people whom they think are their inferiors. Around here, the waitpersons are going to get more sympathy than the wealthy socialites, especially when the wealthy socialites act in such a way to make it clear THEY are the inferiors!

During the 5 years I worked in DC, I met many political bigwigs, including two presidents and most supreme court justices, as well as many celebrities including Jackie O...and the overwhelming majority were nice, polite, and respectful. Sadly, it is the ones that break your stones that we remember the most. I'll never forget at a large party at the home of journalist Roger Mudd he began relating the history of his home as we were setting up for the event, and he could see that while we were interested, we were also pressed for time. After the event, he had a bunch of us sit down in his living room ("on the clock" he said) and have something to eat and drink and discuss the history of his home. He was such a wonderful gentleman. There were many like him. I didn't want to leave the impression that wealth and power are always accompanied by rudeness.

I have been smiling to myself all day thinking of those potatoes!
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/02/23 22:25:51 (permalink)
    quote:

Pacman,

Carlton,

A wonderful reply. I usually read your posts with great interest. You have been able to try so many places and continue to look for more great places.

I applaud your handling of this matter. It just goes to show your great integrity.

Dan
    ...PS, by 'senior' poster I was referring # of posts, it was meant as recognition of service to the board...
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/03/03 10:07:59 (permalink)

Hola! (This is long but good)

Around 1998 or so, I was employed at a Cracker Barrell in a capital city in a deep southern state. Needless to say that i was down on my luck and needed work, to come to work for these slavedrivers.

The day waitresses were all redneck types, people that you would see manning the truck stops of this great land. Some worked in there 6 days a week just to make ends meet. The night wait staff were mainly college kids and young adults.

Our main clintele? Pentecostals, Baptists and the elderly. Actually, I liked the Pentecostals and almost took them on their offer for church, but would not go because those snake handlers would of kept me in their fangs. A group that does not allow women to wear pants is a cult not to be reckoned with. They went to CB because no booze was served there.

Old people. One lady would always come in and get the soup of the day, a chicken salad sandwich and tea. Another old man had ceberal palsy, and got angry at me when I could not understand what he was saying, "I'm not drunk!" he would say. He seemed angry, and a shot of whiskey couldn't of hurt him, but this was Cracker Barrell, not Hooters.

One annoying thing about CB was that they served breakfast all day. The hostess would never ask the customer if they wanted breakfast at dinnertime, it wasn't her job. She could not have cared less. Really no one gave a damn at CB except the manager, who was trying to keep the malcontenet employees in line one more day and not break too many dishes.

One night this old witch asked for a breakfast menu at about 9PM. I had to run half way back to the hostess stand to do Yolanda's job for her. She wanted an egg sandwich and she told me that it came with hash browns. Honestly, the egg sandwich is not on the menu, but it can be special ordered. I had several other tables besides her, and I billed her something like 35 cents for the Hash Browns. This woman went insane and started cursing me out and how her **** dinner came with free fried potatoes on the side. People like this confirms that insane people are everywhere, including that sweet old woman playing mind games upon a gullible sap making 2.13 an hour plus tips.

I once accidentally dropped a whole pitcher of water on a 80 plus year old woman. The daughter and son-in-law were angry, but not that bad. We dried her off the best we could, then came back after dinner to start to apologize one more time when the lady told me not to, she already forgot about it. Oh, the joys of Alzheimers.

The cooks were angry black men, imagine the Crips cooking your food. We had a young white girl named Brandy whose mother worked there and was about 19 with a kid at home. I wonder how people give their kids such weird names. Brandy? I would of called her Vodka or Martini myself.

I saw Brandy getting beat up by "50 cent" our dishwasher. Actually, I was cheering for 50 cent. Neither of them were fired. This is how much CB needed them. I dare to say that a lot of the backstaff were felons. Maybe the manager was scared to do anything, I don't know. This kid commits assault, while I once got "wrote up" for eating a slice of pie.

I worked in a CB 14 hours straight on a Sunday, I have never been so tired. Made 95 USD plus 2.13 an hour (which Uncle Sam took away from my hapless soul. Best tip I made was 14 dollars, been stiffed a lot of times. That is the nature of the beast.

Before we could leave the CB, we were required to roll 200 pieces of silverware, which took some time, and this activity had to be done as well as closing sidework, which includes breaking down crap and "marrying" ketchup bottles. Crap work that took well over an hour, at a payrate of 2.13 an hour. Many of us would get a bus tub and roll the silverware during the afternoon lull, then hide them some where in the kitchen. Servers would steal silverware from each other. So maybe the fork you are sticking in your mouth came from the underside of a freezer or a table.

All the food was Uncle something, Uncle Hershel, Uncle Tom, Uncle Billy Sunday, whatever. They did feature an "ncle Overpriced Slop" but he was led away in a straight jacket many years ago. CB also has something called "city" and "country" ham. City was OK, but country ham really smelled like dirty feet. Once I had to convince an old lady her "city" ham was "country" so the cooks would not take me to a dark corner of the kitchen and pummel me. (To myself) "Please old lady, eat the foot, I don't want to be shanked by 50 cent and the posse.

The lead manager was a nice man when he was relaxed or off work, but on the serving line was a task master who occasionally blew up, especially when plates were broken. The more broken plates, the less money on the bottom line. I really feel sorry for these people, assistant managers of these crapholes who have a wife and baby at home, working for people who consider them a number on a corporate spreadsheet and trying to direct and lead a bunch of sollen, mad, somewhat felonious kitchen staff.

We used about a 1/2 bag of sugar to make the sweet tea. If you are Type 1 diabetic and want to kill yourself, shotgun the CB's famous tea. Yum! Yum!

Once served the band KORN. They were jerks. I served the driver first, before the band, and gave me a 5 dollar tip. Then I and this drug addict waitress (CB does not drug test, and she was addicted) and I served the rest of tyhe crew. We were given 10 dollars. I gave the waitress 5 of it. She wanted to split the tip with the bus driver (although she did no work and this was a seperate table). She would not give up, give me that 2.50, I want my money, yada yada yada. So, I was a good guy and just gave it to her. What was I going to do, knock her in the head to shut her up? (And no, it was not Brandy.)

Served a couple of dudes once, then presented them their check. They wanted seperate checks. The problem was going back into the system after printing out a ticket to do another ticket, so I told the Assistant Manager about it. This guy, a tall lanky red headed goofball told me to tell them that I am unable to do that, and I told him to go explain it. He got pissed off at me, I said, Hey, (forgot loser name)your a manager!" He told me not to instruct him on his job, and I told him that I do not make enough money to get heat because CB's computer system was from the 1960s. Eventually got hit over the head by a dude doing a "dine in dash" which means someone who eats and runs. This guy also allowed diners inside 5 minutes before closeWhoever hit this peckerhead, please send me an e-mail and I will buy you your next meal!

There was a gay (found out later) that was a student at a very conservative Pentecostal school. This place was so conservative that seeing a movie or dating unchaperoned was cause for dismissal. This kid talked about every single customer in the joint, things like, "I have two women and a fetus out here", and "three jumbos", "inbred hicks", things like that. I really wanted to punch his head off, and actually told him once to stay on his side of the server line (in CBs, there are usually two dining rooms, and the server line was really a mirror of each other.

I thought CB food was crap, crap eaten by people who think they are getting something special. I however, cannot demean the entire operation hat in hand. These items are delicious:

Peanut Butter Pie
    Rootbeer (in house brand)
    Biscuits and gravy.
    The strawberry and grape jelly, which the manager instructed us to not offer, but only give them when asked for because of the cost.

My story ends with this question, "Wanna go out and eat tonight?"

Senor
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/03/03 11:38:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hola! (This is long but good)

Around 1998 or so, I was employed at a Cracker Barrell in a capital city in a deep southern state. Needless to say that i was down on my luck and needed work, to come to work for these slavedrivers.

The day waitresses were all redneck types, people that you would see manning the truck stops of this great land. Some worked in there 6 days a week just to make ends meet. The night wait staff were mainly college kids and young adults.

Our main clintele? Pentecostals, Baptists and the elderly. Actually, I liked the Pentecostals and almost took them on their offer for church, but would not go because those snake handlers would of kept me in their fangs. A group that does not allow women to wear pants is a cult not to be reckoned with. They went to CB because no booze was served there.

Old people. One lady would always come in and get the soup of the day, a chicken salad sandwich and tea. Another old man had ceberal palsy, and got angry at me when I could not understand what he was saying, "I'm not drunk!" he would say. He seemed angry, and a shot of whiskey couldn't of hurt him, but this was Cracker Barrell, not Hooters.

One annoying thing about CB was that they served breakfast all day. The hostess would never ask the customer if they wanted breakfast at dinnertime, it wasn't her job. She could not have cared less. Really no one gave a damn at CB except the manager, who was trying to keep the malcontenet employees in line one more day and not break too many dishes.

One night this old witch asked for a breakfast menu at about 9PM. I had to run half way back to the hostess stand to do Yolanda's job for her. She wanted an egg sandwich and she told me that it came with hash browns. Honestly, the egg sandwich is not on the menu, but it can be special ordered. I had several other tables besides her, and I billed her something like 35 cents for the Hash Browns. This woman went insane and started cursing me out and how her **** dinner came with free fried potatoes on the side. People like this confirms that insane people are everywhere, including that sweet old woman playing mind games upon a gullible sap making 2.13 an hour plus tips.

I once accidentally dropped a whole pitcher of water on a 80 plus year old woman. The daughter and son-in-law were angry, but not that bad. We dried her off the best we could, then came back after dinner to start to apologize one more time when the lady told me not to, she already forgot about it. Oh, the joys of Alzheimers.

The cooks were angry black men, imagine the Crips cooking your food. We had a young white girl named Brandy whose mother worked there and was about 19 with a kid at home. I wonder how people give their kids such weird names. Brandy? I would of called her Vodka or Martini myself.

I saw Brandy getting beat up by "50 cent" our dishwasher. Actually, I was cheering for 50 cent. Neither of them were fired. This is how much CB needed them. I dare to say that a lot of the backstaff were felons. Maybe the manager was scared to do anything, I don't know. This kid commits assault, while I once got "wrote up" for eating a slice of pie.

I worked in a CB 14 hours straight on a Sunday, I have never been so tired. Made 95 USD plus 2.13 an hour (which Uncle Sam took away from my hapless soul. Best tip I made was 14 dollars, been stiffed a lot of times. That is the nature of the beast.

Before we could leave the CB, we were required to roll 200 pieces of silverware, which took some time, and this activity had to be done as well as closing sidework, which includes breaking down crap and "marrying" ketchup bottles. Crap work that took well over an hour, at a payrate of 2.13 an hour. Many of us would get a bus tub and roll the silverware during the afternoon lull, then hide them some where in the kitchen. Servers would steal silverware from each other. So maybe the fork you are sticking in your mouth came from the underside of a freezer or a table.

All the food was Uncle something, Uncle Hershel, Uncle Tom, Uncle Billy Sunday, whatever. They did feature an "ncle Overpriced Slop" but he was led away in a straight jacket many years ago. CB also has something called "city" and "country" ham. City was OK, but country ham really smelled like dirty feet. Once I had to convince an old lady her "city" ham was "country" so the cooks would not take me to a dark corner of the kitchen and pummel me. (To myself) "Please old lady, eat the foot, I don't want to be shanked by 50 cent and the posse.

The lead manager was a nice man when he was relaxed or off work, but on the serving line was a task master who occasionally blew up, especially when plates were broken. The more broken plates, the less money on the bottom line. I really feel sorry for these people, assistant managers of these crapholes who have a wife and baby at home, working for people who consider them a number on a corporate spreadsheet and trying to direct and lead a bunch of sollen, mad, somewhat felonious kitchen staff.

We used about a 1/2 bag of sugar to make the sweet tea. If you are Type 1 diabetic and want to kill yourself, shotgun the CB's famous tea. Yum! Yum!

Once served the band KORN. They were jerks. I served the driver first, before the band, and gave me a 5 dollar tip. Then I and this drug addict waitress (CB does not drug test, and she was addicted) and I served the rest of tyhe crew. We were given 10 dollars. I gave the waitress 5 of it. She wanted to split the tip with the bus driver (although she did no work and this was a seperate table). She would not give up, give me that 2.50, I want my money, yada yada yada. So, I was a good guy and just gave it to her. What was I going to do, knock her in the head to shut her up? (And no, it was not Brandy.)

Served a couple of dudes once, then presented them their check. They wanted seperate checks. The problem was going back into the system after printing out a ticket to do another ticket, so I told the Assistant Manager about it. This guy, a tall lanky red headed goofball told me to tell them that I am unable to do that, and I told him to go explain it. He got pissed off at me, I said, Hey, (forgot loser name)your a manager!" He told me not to instruct him on his job, and I told him that I do not make enough money to get heat because CB's computer system was from the 1960s. Eventually got hit over the head by a dude doing a "dine in dash" which means someone who eats and runs. This guy also allowed diners inside 5 minutes before closeWhoever hit this peckerhead, please send me an e-mail and I will buy you your next meal!

There was a gay (found out later) that was a student at a very conservative Pentecostal school. This place was so conservative that seeing a movie or dating unchaperoned was cause for dismissal. This kid talked about every single customer in the joint, things like, "I have two women and a fetus out here", and "three jumbos", "inbred hicks", things like that. I really wanted to punch his head off, and actually told him once to stay on his side of the server line (in CBs, there are usually two dining rooms, and the server line was really a mirror of each other.

I thought CB food was crap, crap eaten by people who think they are getting something special. I however, cannot demean the entire operation hat in hand. These items are delicious:

Peanut Butter Pie
    Rootbeer (in house brand)
    Biscuits and gravy.
    The strawberry and grape jelly, which the manager instructed us to not offer, but only give them when asked for because of the cost.

My story ends with this question, "Wanna go out and eat tonight?"

Senor

Anywhere but CB. That was very entertaining. Makes me kind of want to hug my desk!
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/03/03 14:52:05 (permalink)
    Señor, thanks for posting your story. I worked at a Sambo's for about 6 months in the mid 1970s. I thought I had it bad.

My older brother and I have been discussing for the last 10 years how we thought we were "mistreated" when we were growing up until we met people whose parents actually abused them.

Working in a restaurant is often quite awful. We need to remember this, and not heap more abuse on the servers.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2005/03/03 14:54:11 (permalink)
    elderly,working mothers,gays,rednecks,"peckerheads---sheesh---how many folks do we really need to insult in one sotry---PLease---was all this really neesesary?---and believe me it WAS long--but NOT interesting!
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2012/10/13 08:44:59 (permalink)

In high school, I worked in a KFC, one of those older ones with the tall pointed roofs.

I worked in the kitchen and cleaning that place was a pain and of course, the kitchen had to be spotless for the morning, so we are either cooking or cleaning.

One night, it wasn't busy and it was only myself and the assistant manager on shift. The place was immaculate and we were just waiting for closing time (at 10 PM, I think) and we were out of there.  This night, some Asian woman came in like 15 minutes before close,  who wanted a quart of mashed potatoes. No chicken (which we did not have anyway), no other food, no gravy, just a quart of mashed potatoes. Probably costs less than $1.

I was in high school and being a minor for some reason was barred from the potato mixer, so the poor assistant manager (he was about 20), had get a bag of potato mix from the back and make it himself and then had to clean the machine afterwards (a pain) and mop the floor. He was mad as hell and I am laughing now, thinking about his rage. We could not turn the woman away, because she could have filed a complaint to management.

Again, the stupid lady probably kept us in the store for another 30 minutes, which actually cost the store more money paying us than the value of the mashed potatoes.

post edited by senor boogie woogie - 2013/01/02 09:17:34
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2012/10/13 08:45:01 (permalink)

DOUBLE POST
    post edited by senor boogie woogie - 2012/10/13 08:48:51
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1647
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2012/10/14 22:41:59 (permalink)
    somehow...........of the GAWDZILLION RF posts I have read, I don't think I'll be coming back to this one

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2012/10/15 11:03:23 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic

somehow...........of the GAWDZILLION RF posts I have read, I don't think I'll be coming back to this one

LOL!

Jenniferyoung2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Untold Restaurant Stories 2012/10/15 21:32:48 (permalink)
    As far as secret stories, I have never been anywhere that anyone has broken any health codes purposely, as far as I know.  However, I did hostess at a Bob Evans when I was pregnant.  I was about 8.5 months and just returning from a break and a man was complaining.  There was a line.  I told him in some words that he was not at Burger King and Burger King was across the street.  LOL.  Hormones!  Anyways, I later looked at the list.  The other hostess, who had been there longer than me had passed him over.  He probably should have been seated long before.  His attitude was atrocious though.  My manager sent me home for the day.  I was a good employee other than that day.
    I also had a couple mishaps working at Big Boy's.  Once I accidently dropped toast on a man's lap.  It just slid off the plate.  And another time, I was pouring coffee and either started daydreaming or got distracted, but I didn't stop and it went over the edge of the poor man's cup!  So embarrassing!
    The one thing you brought up that I really think would make an interesting topic and may even have been one was "lets try this and see what it tastes like."  At Big Boy, I would make a vanilla shake, then throw in a piece of their hot fudge cake cake.  Mmmm... Kinda like Oreo, but better because it was different!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1