Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds?

Author
S&JW
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2012/08/07 13:17:00 (permalink)

Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds?

I am developing a business plan for a smoothie and juice shop in southern New Jersey, and I have a few questions (but will keep this specific). 

I am trying to keep contractor budget as low as possible and I have been wanting a non-vent kitchen area in order to achieve this.

The food menu will include grilled panini's/panino, wraps, soups, salads, and baked goods. I do know that the soups involve a vent due to the vapors (from what I know), and I am considering preparing a few items off the premises...I also did competition analysis and noticed that Starbucks did not have a vent/hud for their panini, toasted sandwiches, baked goods and what not...so I'm thinking it is possible.   

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

11 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1995
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/07 14:20:00 (permalink)
    Local health, fire and building depts are where you are going to get your answers, not an Internet food forum. Get the info direct from them.
    roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/07 16:00:27 (permalink)
    Ditto!!! 

If you are mobile, not only the HD in your local, but every HD rulings for where you might go. I have seen vendors loose their fees because they couldnt get a vent hood installed by opening time.  However I cant imagine anyone one not wanting a hood over a heat producing piece of equipment whether it's a brick 'n mortar or mobile. I'd bet that you have a hood at home, so why would you already start off a business by cutting corners, especially on your money maker???

..."off the premises", We dont want to even know.... TMI

ps high volume Starbuck and Subway can afford the utility bills
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/07 16:47:50 (permalink)
    The above post are right on the money. If your local rules don't require a hood your good to go, but if they do you'll never get your door open without one. And fixing anything off premises is a giant no no in any state.

Don't try to beat or get around the rules you'll end up with a bad rap from everyone involved and word spreads very quickly.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2094
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/07 16:49:54 (permalink)
    Your local Codes & HR will have the answer you are looking for.

Old Codes and some places still only require hoods over 'gas' cooking equipment to vent combustion gasses out of the kitchen.

Newer Code require hoods over 'gas & electric' cooking equipment to vent combustion gasses, smoke, and grease vapors produced by commercial cooking equipment.

Many new kitchens will also use the hood to vent heat out, even if the a hood was not otherwise required in an attempt to keep the kitchen cooler.

Generally, hoods are not required over small electrical appliances like a panini grills, electric sandwich grills, food warmers, and steam tables, ect.   ... So yes it is possible to get by without a hood with all electric small appliance setup like a sandwich deli.

So what is your menu and what cooking & specific equipment will be required for your kitchen and service?   This is what will determine if a hood must be installed to meet a Code.

Soup itself does not require a hood. It can be prepared in large crook pots or in a steam table.    However, it is not likely your HR will allow soup to be prepared off premise except at an approved commissary.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/08/07 16:53:18
    S&JW
    Junior Burger
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/08 12:07:05 (permalink)
    Great info, thanks. Pret a Manger in Chicago/nyc and Blendz in CA both make mass foods off the premises--from grilling the meats to baking the goods. I figured there was a way to replicate their system without any red flags. 
    S&JW
    Junior Burger
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/08 12:18:05 (permalink)
    edwmax

Generally, hoods are not required over small electrical appliances like a panini grills, electric sandwich grills, food warmers, and steam tables, ect.   ... So yes it is possible to get by without a hood with all electric small appliance setup like a sandwich deli.

So what is your menu and what cooking & specific equipment will be required for your kitchen and service?   This is what will determine if a hood must be installed to meet a Code.

I knew it! I will look further into this possibility by approaching my HD/HR with the sandwich deli idea.

Also, i didn't know if that question you asked was rhetorical or not. If it wasn't I'll be doing mainly cold assembly...non cold include baking bread & goods & I'm considering grilling proteins (instead of buying the more expensive pre-cooked versions). I think once I bring in the concept of anything grilled, that's when a vent or hood is needed. I am not familiar with the crock pot or steam table

HaydenFennell
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/20 09:09:53 (permalink)
    Hey, S&JW. I work for an online restaurant equipment supply company, and our owner actually just did a quick blurb about this topic for our blog. Some of this stuff has already been mentioned by previous posters, and - as they've said - you should definitely check your local ordinances before making any final decisions. But here are a few more tips on starting your business without incurring the often overwhelming cost of a hood system.

jesrestaurantequipment.com/jesrestaurantequipmentblog/building-a-restaurant-when-you-cant-afford-a-hood
    (Sorry about the plain text. My new account won't let me post hyperlinks yet.)

- Hayden
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/20 09:22:49 (permalink)
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2094
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/20 09:59:27 (permalink)
    S&JW

edwmax

I knew it! I will look further into this possibility by approaching my HD/HR with the sandwich deli idea.

Also, i didn't know if that question you asked was rhetorical or not. If it wasn't I'll be doing mainly cold assembly...non cold include baking bread & goods & I'm considering grilling proteins (instead of buying the more expensive pre-cooked versions). I think once I bring in the concept of anything grilled, that's when a vent or hood is needed. I am not familiar with the crock pot or steam table

One,  Look around your area at other business operating without kitchen hoods.  Note their setup as compared to yours.    This will help when talking to the HD.

Next, a low cost hood system such as a residential SS hoods(2 ?) (abt $200 ea) over your cook line. http://www.lowes.com/pd_344998-14-QT236SS_0__?productId=3690266&Ntt=range+hoods&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=  ...  This has been known to satisfy the HD with the type equipment you describe.   

... Even if the hood is not required, these will quickly pay for themselves by venting heat & moisture out of the kitchen (cook line area) by saving AC (HVAC) cost.  Also, many new building codes require a certain amount of fresh makeup air added into the HVAC system.  The hotter kitchen air is ideal to be exhausted as part of this Code requirement. This will need a very good AC man or engineer to put together a balanced system. ... I mention this. so if you must meet building exhaust and makeup HVAC requirements, to do so by incorporating a low cost range hoods as a way to meet BOTH requirements to minimize cost.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/20 10:29:38 (permalink)
    You shouldn't use Pret a Manger as a model. Their factors are...

Exclusively operating several locations in major metro markets (Chicago DC NYC). There are 30+ and counting in NYC.

Considering the costs involved in extra square footage rent needed for all those locations...it makes perfect sense to have off-site production to save $$$ on equipment...rent etc.

It would make very little sense for one location in South Jersey.

The production facility is the core...and the locations cover the market with limited expense. The objective is to expand locations (they have grown a bunch) and continue to cover areas.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/08/20 10:42:08
    AlexCS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Up-and-coming business: ways to avoid installation of vents/huds? 2012/08/20 17:24:04 (permalink)
    If Panini (it will need hood) not very critical for you - you can use Turbochef equipment which does not need hood and cooking will take much less time and energy. Actually because energy saving this equipment will pay for itself much quicker then less expensive and it does not need hood! Look at their website.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1