Update on Crazy Jake's BQ truck in Walnutport, PA

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
2006/07/14 18:39:38 (permalink)

Update on Crazy Jake's BQ truck in Walnutport, PA

Fortuitously, I was down that way around lunch time yesterday....

On regular occasions the truck sits in the corner of a Mobil station parking lot off of Rt 145, across from a strip mall. There was a line about 10 people deep at 12:20, which continued until I left at around 12:45. People everywhere are interested in authentic BBQ!

It might be the bargain of, I don't know, forever? Pulled pork, $10 a quart, packed so tightly It comes out like a sandcastle. I bought two quarts, a bottle of sauce and a dozen Kaiser rolls and fed myself and 9 co-workers until we were well sated. With about one serving left over. When one gets outstanding food at a low price, one is blessed.

The sauce is pretty good, with lots of black and red pepper.

I also got a couple racks of ribs that the family gnawed on for dinner last night. The ribs were pretty good, but not as good as the pulled pork. They're the big racks, including tips and skirt. I'd guess they were using applewood that day. One rack is too much for 3 people; there's leftovers tonight! The ribs keep some of the meatiness, they aren't cooked to mush, and the actual tenderizing is more from the smoke than it is from the heat, I believe. The ribs are "good Q", not "great Q".

Tom

3 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15240
    RE: Update on Crazy Jake's BQ truck in Walnutport, PA 2006/07/14 19:40:56 (permalink)

Tom,
    While I will probably never get to stop at this fellows business I want to thank you for taking the time to include a write-up about him. It would be my pleasure to gnaw on some of his ribs as I pass thru PA in August on the way to or returning from the CrabCake Meeting. Can you give a bit more details about location? Go to Harrisburg and take a left?
    Thanks
    AL
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Update on Crazy Jake's BQ truck in Walnutport, PA 2006/07/14 22:36:15 (permalink)
    Al, it's a little bit southeast of Jim Thorpe, smack in the middle of this map right where the "145" is:

Lemme know the date you're passing through, I'll try 'n meet you there.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Update on Crazy Jake's BQ truck in Walnutport, PA 2008/05/22 14:02:21 (permalink)
    Update: this year, Crazy Jake has left his former gas station parking lot location to open his own place.

Crazy Jake's
    2527 Freemansburg Ave.
    Palmer Township PA
    610-250-8836

I haven't been there yet but here's an article from the Allentown newspaper.

http://www.mcall.com/features/food/all-go_eat.6417148may22,0,1107232.story

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1