Upstate South Carolina

Author
Rab Dalas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2006/06/30 13:02:57 (permalink)

Upstate South Carolina

On Plaza Drive in Travelers Rest, SC (between Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC)is a little place called Uncle Charlie's Gourmet Ice Cream. All the ice cream is homemade and every flavor I've tried has been amazing. Uncle Charlie's been making ice cream for decades and he knows what he's doing.

His flavors are, well, a little odd. In addition to the standards (This past Sunday he had chocolate, strawberry, and Butter Pecan, but I saw no sign of vanilla. It seems to depend on his mood) he had Satin Sheets (made with wine and rose petals), banana wafer (tasted just like GOOD banana pudding), Philly Cheese (cream cheese, not with sliced meat), several variations on rocky road (each named after a local highway--I85, I385, etc) and my favorite--hot chocolate. That's right, HOT chocolate. It's his homemade (oh, so smooth and creamy) chocolate ice cream with small pieces of habanero peppers mixed in. Don't knock it until you've tried it. All told he has about 25 flavors at all times, but they change from week to week, or even day to day. Seems to always have the hot choc though.
My friend and I drove almost 40 miles Sunday and each had two bowls of ice cream 'cause it was just too good to stop. The satin sheets might be closing in as my favorite. I just don't know.
Plaza Drive is actually a frontage road to Hwy 276, so it's really easy to get to. I recommend it highly. Oddly, they're closed on Saturday, but they're there the rest of the week.
I've never found anything remotely like this place and would love to hear of any others.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1