Use your Noodle!

Author
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
2004/01/13 16:34:24 (permalink)

Use your Noodle!

Alright, 50th post! I believe I am a hamburger now .... I thought I would use this opportunity to expound on one of my favorite food subjects - noodles! Excluding for the moment `pasta,' what are your favorite noodle dishes, where have you eaten them or how do you make them, etc - I'm thinking mostly Asian, but also would include mac & cheese, lokshen kugel etc. It all began with a youthful obsession with Cantonese Chow mein, but for myself, my favorites, and there are many, include Pad Thai almost anywhere, Mee Goreng from Jean's Fine Foods in Toronto, Chicken Pho from Saigon Le Lai (Toronto), Pad See Yew and Yam Woon Sen at Dusit (Wheaton MD), and the list goes on.... I've also been known to fire up a mean Mee Goreng and a decadent pineapple noodle kugel from time to time

26 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/13 16:48:46 (permalink)
    My favorite is nothing as exotic as yours Rhodes - I love good old fashioned church social macaroni salad. With dill pickles.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/13 16:49:23 (permalink)
    My mom's lokshen kugel, the Pad See Yew and the Pad Thai at China Inn right on the University of Louisville campus (GO Cards!). thats all I can think of right now... it's 4:49 and I'm off work at 5.. and tomorrow is Ian's 8th B-day... need to figure out what I'm cooking for the little guy
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/13 17:17:20 (permalink)
    From Pei-Wei diner a division of PF Chang's

Soba-Miso Bowl :
    Red miso sauce, spinach, shiitake mushroom, cabbage, ginger, garlic, scallion, buckwheat noodles.

But I like plain Jane noodles too!
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/13 17:42:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

My favorite is nothing as exotic as yours Rhodes - I love good old fashioned church social macaroni salad. With dill pickles.

I love macaroni salad too, although I prefer sweet pickle
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/13 17:43:20 (permalink)
    I like to make Sichuan Dan Dan noodles, as well as pan-fried noodles with myriad toppings. It's the crispy noodle that counts. Another favorite is Noodles with Pork from Shanxi. Pad Thai, of course. There is hardly a noodle I have met that I have not liked, save for a macrobiotic noodle I once had. I believe it was formed from the same raw material children use in the making of mud pies, only worse.
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/13 19:32:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

a macrobiotic noodle I once had. I believe it was formed from the same raw material children use in the making of mud pies, only worse.

Hmmm, sounds like the spinach and tofu knish I once purchased from a vendor at a Grateful Dead concert. Talk about Roadfood Hell
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/13 20:43:50 (permalink)
    My current love is spicy mint leaf noodle from Thai places, made with those wide, chewy rice noodles. Little Tokyo here in LA also has some fantastic udon places. But never cold. I hate cold udon!
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 01:16:35 (permalink)
    Hard to choose, but at the top would be Chow kway teow, a spicy, garlicky fried noodle dish with bean sprouts and seafood (usually shrimp, sometimes cockles) in it from Southeast Asia. Likewise, there noodle laksa soup (spicy coconut based curry broth) is heaven on earth. It's tough to find good versions of either one here, unfortunately.

Also noteworthy is Vietnamese pho... I had some great pho in a restaurant near a Ranch 99 in the Bay Area, paper thin sliced beef, bean sprouts, Thai basil, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. The spicy versions are great if you have a cold.
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 03:56:56 (permalink)
    My favourite noodles are those that my family makes at home themselves (My maternal great-grandad was a noodle merchant who sold, amongst other sorts of noodles, Mee Sua--a wheat noodle that went very very soft and mushy when you cooked it in soup with an egg beaten in). Each one of my seven aunts, my mom and my granma seem to turn out slightly different noodle "signatures". My grandma and 4th aunt don't put in egg into the dough so their noodles are very soft. My second aunt puts in an egg so her's are pliable with a bit of crunch. My mom puts in an egg too but sometimes purees spinach and mixes that into the dough to give it extra fibre and a pretty speckled green colour.

They usually serve it in chicken/fish broth that is given a particular depth of flavour by preserved chinese cabbage and chinese rice wine; slices of marinated chicken/pork, Chinese leafy vegetables and condiments include chopped bird's eye chillies in soy sauce, belacan (fermented shrimp paste) chilli sauce and/or tiny pink fermented shrimp (chinchalok) mixed with lime juice, thinly-sliced red onions, sliced bird's-eye chillies and a bit of sugar.

Or they fry it with a thick soy/thin soy/garlic combination flavouring with slices of meat, leafy veg/beansprouts, seafood (usually shrimp and/or cockles) etc and you have your famous Hokkien/HokChiu noodles.

Otherwises, I LOVE all sorts of noodles ranging from

1. the simple Wonton noodles done Southeast Asian style (i.e. not in soup but seasoned "dry" with black soy sauce, sesame oil etc)

2. Chee Cheong Fun (soft freshly steamed wide-ish rice noodles with either sweet red sauce/chilli sauce/chinese-mushroom-and-minced-pork sauce/curried pigskin sauce liberally poured over it [Southeast Asian style] or with a soy sauce/oil/deep fried scallions over the noodles which have been rolled with char siu or shrimp like ravioli[Hong Kong style])

3. Char Kway Teow (like arianje)

4. Any spicy noodle laksa noodle soup (and there are hundreds of Southeast Asian variations, many containing coconut milk or tamarind paste so that it is either rich or sourish or both)

5. Pad Thai and Tom Yam noodles.

6. Any sort of baked pasta dish like mac and cheese.

Rice noodles, wheat noodles, mung bean (glass) noodles, buckwheat noodles--you name it I love it (and love it even better when a noodle dish is done well). It must be in the genes...
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 08:13:14 (permalink)
    The halushki made for our church's summer festival - homemade noodles about an inch square mixed with cabbage and onions carmelized in literally pounds of butter
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 09:01:21 (permalink)
    spaetzle - topped with goulash -pure heaven!
    lisajocole
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 10:36:38 (permalink)
    Hey Ruby Rose:

My grandma (Hungarian) makes a mean cabbage and noodles, similar to the dish you described. I now make it too: fry tons of sliced cabbage in butter or bacon fat til brown, add in one pound of soft-cooked wide egg noodles, and keep covered on low for several hours to meld flavors. You can add a little salt and pepper to taste. This is fabulous for breakfast, believe it or not, and is one of my favorite childhood food memories.

This is my first post, after over a year of daily lurking! Hello everyone from sunny St. Pete, Florida!!

Lisa
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 10:38:47 (permalink)
    Welcome Lisa... glad to have you aboard
    lisajocole
    Hamburger
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 10:52:19 (permalink)
    IansMom:

Thanks for the greeting! Happy 8th Birthday to Ian! What did you decide to make for his b-day feast?

Lisa
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 10:55:57 (permalink)
    Hi, Lisa. Glad the thought of some cabbage & noodles could lure you out of lurkdom.
    lisajocole
    Hamburger
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 12:12:56 (permalink)
    Thanks, RubyRose! Happy Noodling!
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 12:38:34 (permalink)
    Welcome Lisa! Glad you decided to join us!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3968
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 14:16:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by IansMom

My mom's lokshen kugel, the Pad See Yew and the Pad Thai at China Inn right on the University of Louisville campus (GO Cards!). thats all I can think of right now... it's 4:49 and I'm off work at 5.. and tomorrow is Ian's 8th B-day... need to figure out what I'm cooking for the little guy

Today is my daughter Lindsay's 18th birthday. For me, it's easier-----I'm taking her to her favorite sushi bar!
    Congrats to Ian on his b'day!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 15:33:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by efuery

spaetzle - topped with goulash -pure heaven!

I second that!! I love goulash and spaetzle!!! I also love beef stroganoff with lots of buttery noodles.
    nanster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/14 16:50:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jellybeans

2. Chee Cheong Fun (soft freshly steamed wide-ish rice noodles with either sweet red sauce/chilli sauce/chinese-mushroom-and-minced-pork sauce/curried pigskin sauce liberally poured over it [Southeast Asian style] or with a soy sauce/oil/deep fried scallions over the noodles which have been rolled with char siu or shrimp like ravioli[Hong Kong style])

Is the HK style what people call "chow fun" at dim sum? If so, that's my favorite!
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/16 10:05:04 (permalink)
    Jellybeanscan you adopt me? I have a couple of favorite noodle dishes. i love Pad Thai noodles with lots of chili sauce maybe some hoisin. Pancit a dish my sister learned to make in Guam with rice noodles, shrimp or chicken carrots, celery. I love macaroni salad with sweet pickles cubed cheese, onions and a little mayo. Swedish Meatballs on a bed of egg noodles.Really good WonTon soup with giant wontons filled with pork and some green onions as garnish. Vietnamese Pho soup with cilantro and bean sprouts and of course my mothers spaghetti and meatballs. by the way Congrats Rhodes on becoming a hamburger!!!
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/16 10:12:34 (permalink)
    I just visited my fantastic local Asian market, which has countless varieties of noodles, both dry and fresh. With the cold weather upon us, I have taken to boiling some water, dropping in a Tom Yam or Pho cube, some dried noodles, then dousing it with copious amounts of hot chili oil and sprinkling in pickled mustard greens and chopped green onion. Try and get that from a Ramen package!
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/16 10:19:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by nanster

quote:
    Originally posted by Jellybeans

Is the HK style what people call "chow fun" at dim sum? If so, that's my favorite!

No, Chow Fun is stir-fried noodles. Hong-Kong style Chee Cheong Fun which they serve at dim sum too is this:

The noodles are made from a mixture of rice flour and water, steamed in a thin rectangular sheet with either char siu or shrimp scattered on it (or just steamed plain) and then when it's done (in, like 2 minutes), the cook peels it off the steaming cloth, quickly rolls it into a roll-like noodle, chops it superfast into bite-sized pieces, then drenches it in a mixture of sweet soy sauce, soy sauce and oil. They top it with deep fried shallot slices.

nanster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/16 12:34:50 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jellybeans! HK-style chee cheong fun is my actual favorite, but chow fun is great as well. People have misinformed me all these years...
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/17 06:37:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

I just visited my fantastic local Asian market, which has countless varieties of noodles, both dry and fresh. With the cold weather upon us, I have taken to boiling some water, dropping in a Tom Yam or Pho cube, some dried noodles, then dousing it with copious amounts of hot chili oil and sprinkling in pickled mustard greens and chopped green onion. Try and get that from a Ramen package!

In the fall I began doing a quick noodle meal somewhat similar. I cook half a package (8 ounces) of good quality egg noodles, drain and add to 2 cups of chicken stock (water with an extra large Knorr's chicken bouillon cube dissoved in it). Salt and fresh grated pepper and I have a simple meal that I really enjoy.
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Use your Noodle! 2004/01/17 10:16:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

Jellybeanscan you adopt me?.... by the way Congrats Rhodes on becoming a hamburger!!!

Why thank you, and congratulations on your new sandwich status as well! And here's a couple more noodle-dom favorites: `Singapore' rice noodles w/ curry, bbq pork & shrimp, mee grob (crispy thai!), wontons, kreplach, and pretty much any other filled noodle, especially the wontons with spicy sesame/peanutty sauce you get at some szechuan places, udon (in soup or fried), yeah baby!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1