Hot!User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/04/10 17:12:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by swirsk53

Originally posted by leethebard

We need to have a good california burger in there somewhere![/quote

Speaking of CA (and I am in NY) has anyone else tried Howards Home of the Avacado burger? around culver city or so, off of (I think) the 5 or 405? great burgers in a coffee shop setting. Pure Road Food.

In terms of the Birgers that should be in the hierarchy, I vote for a nice rare bacon chees burger, with good mozzerella as a 'grade' worthy of seeking.

Can't say I have, but the next time I'm in the L.A. area, and have a
hankering for some local ROADFOOD, I will definetely be looking forward to some of these

And you deny you're a yuppie?

Absolutely!

I'm just a guy that enjoys some good So-Cal ROADFOOD
(see Stern's write up on Ichiban PB in San Diego in previous roadfood book)

Please see this and you'll see what I mean
[url]www.usaweekend.com/07_issues/070520/070520travel.html[/url]

Stray
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/04/12 08:18:36 (permalink)
"
swirsk53
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/04/20 17:19:40 (permalink)
To be clear, Howards is not a yupified joint, but it sure was good:
and I forgot that it was a bacon & avacado burger
Almost Famous: Howard's Famous Bacon & Avocado Burgers
Posted by Hamburglar Hadley, June 23, 2005 at 11:52 PM

LOS ANGELES > CULVER CITY

Culver City is a subtle stretch of Los Angeles lying low on the West Side, but there's nothing low-key about one of its oldest eateries, Howard's Famous Bacon and Avocado Burgers. The strip mall that eventually grew to surrounded Howard's—a block of dreary businesses that looks more like a series of black-market fronts than the realization of its tenants' entrepreneurial dreams—looks like it wants to keep a low profile. No such luck, however: Howard's Circus Circus–style sign is a beacon of flashing lightbulbs and screaming colored letters announcing itself to Sepulveda traffic far and wide.

Dating to 1971, Howard's claims to be the first to have dressed a burger in that celestial combination of bacon and avocado that now makes a mint for chains such as Carl's Jr. We're glad Howard's introduced these toppings to our beloved all-beef patties, but I had serious doubts as to whether it was worth recommending. Still, something had kept it there for more than 30 years good and bad times, and I needed to find out what it was.

I had been to Howard's Famous shortly after moving back to Los Angeles and long before joining the AHT staff. Sad to say, I was not impressed by the old man at the time. My burger's beef patty looked disturbingly like a veggie burger, and, truth be told, even the initial excitement of avocado and bacon wore thin. The divine green fruit was sparse, and the bacon was limp and flavorless. Despite this bad experience, I decided to give Howard's another try in the name of hamburger journalism and, of course, as a service to our readers.

Stumbling into Howard's, I was taken with the nostalgic charm of its surroundings. L.A. used to be quite a different monster, and I'm sure Howard's was once a perfect fit in the more rural Culver of the long-gone Beach Blanket Bingo era. Now, a rustier vibe pervades, that of a lost seaside shanty in slow collapse, left inland by a shrinking sea. It seemed I was the only visitor that evening, with the movie posters on the wall and the hand-painted menu—delightful beyond belief—my sole sources of companionship.

I ordered a quarter-pound burger with cheese, slumped into one of the booths, and took in the old-timey digs with a radio-broadcast NBA game as my soundtrack. Howard's has many options, from hot dogs, turkey burgers, and patty melts to tacos and chili, all topped or filled with as much avocado and bacon as your veins can stand. Burger-topping options are egg, chili, and extra avocado or bacon. Onion rings and thickly cut fries are on the menu as sides. Keeping an eye on the grill, I noticed the patty placed on it looked to be of the generic frozen variety.

As the sun started to sink, though, the joint picked up. First came a work-weary lady ordering burgers to go, followed by some of L.A.'s finest, um, security guards. By the time an Asian b-boy strode in, my order was up. Grabbing it from the counter, I was amazed by its appetizing appearance. Weighty and freshly topped, it was not the puny excuse for a manwich I remembered from the last time I visited.

The taste of this cheeseburger defied my expectations. It was hot and soft, a subtle salad dressing mingling with the cheese on the bottom bun, providing that gooey mess that I love. The tomato and lettuce toppings were fresh, and, overall, the burger was hearty and scrumptious. The beef patty was still not anything to go out of your way for; it was flat, gray, thin and only a slight upgrade from a McDonald's patty. But the silky, ripe avocado and crisp bacon were there in spades, making for a unique and tasty burger. It exhibits good orchestration as far as toppings go, but the sandwich would benefit from pickle or onion for an extra note in the medley of tastes. The bun, not all that special looking, wins points for being soft yet firm and easily chewed. This Howard's cheeseburger was bun and lettuce above the first one I'd tried some months back.

Howard's Famous Bacon and Avocado Burgers wins points for a fun experience, but it's more McDonald's-gone-SoCal than a great revelation in hamburgerdom. The burger might be inconsistent, but there's something enjoyable about being the restaurant's old-school environs, which evoke a more innocent time without the Happy Days theatrics of Fatburger and In-N-Out. And after this second round of Howard's, I'm tempted to say it won't be the last time I get a hankering for all these great tastes that taste great together. Still, the place will have to fight hard to maintain its game amidst such mediocrity. The concept is golden, but the execution is bronze. Maybe Howard's could keep the sign and update the burger?

HOWARD'S FAMOUS BACON AND AVOCADO BURGERS
Location: 11127 Venice Blvd. (at Sepulveda), Culver City, CA 11127
Phone: 310-838-9111
Cost: Quarter-pound burger, $3.05; half-pound, $4.45
Short Order: Crazy atmosphere yields favorite ingredients on an inconsistent burger

10 Comments | Tags: Burger Map Pinpoint, California, countries, Culver City, Hamburglar Hadley, LA, reviews, U.S.

SO, HOW MANY POSTINGS DOES ONE NEED TO BE RATED BACON & AVACADO BURGER?

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/04/20 17:50:20 (permalink)
Infinitely,my dear,infinitely...
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/04/20 19:02:36 (permalink)
Back to the original question. You should not care if others have "stars on thars", I know I don't. It will not make you insightful, improve your writing or improve your standing in the Roadfood community. What will do all these things is to be insightful and write to the best of your ability. The community respect will follow...or should.

If you do care about stars it is very easy. Respond to every thread you see and write such things as You rock...very cool...I agree and two to three word variations on that theme. Before you know it you will have more stars than anyone. But what will you have gained?
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/05/15 15:09:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

I think it is time to update the rankings, we need something more.

We go from Double Chili Cheese burger to Filet Mignon

There are more posters reaching the 2500 mark, and there is nothing after that

the rankings need to be expanded to add

2500 - 3999 ?????????????
4000 - 5999 ?????????????
6000 - 7999 ?????????????
8000 - 9999 ?????????????
10000 + ?????????????

When Michael Hoffman hit 5000 a couple years back, we all expected him to have a new ranking. People were offering suggestions, ideas and much speculation occured. However, I think since more and more people became fixed upon the number of posts people had, it seems it was decided to abandon the idea of creating more "rankings" based on numbers.

It seems silly to me, to congratulate people for posting a lot. Instead, I like to celebrate the number of years people have contributed to the site. For example, on July 1st of this year, Michael Hoffman will have somewhere in the sub-9000 range of posts - not a number worthy of mention. He probably won't get mentioned for his contributions until he hits the "magic" 10000th post. And yet, on July 1, he'll have been an active contributor for 8 years. Longer than almost anyone else except the Sterns. To me, that's more important than the number of posts.

Take Bill Voss, who, on November 20th of this year, will likely still be under 3000 posts, and yet, he too will have been an active contributor for 8 years, but that's less than half as many posts as Roossy, who hits her 3rd anniversary with roadfood in mid-August.

I'm not saying one person is more important than another, but I'd like to start celebrating a person's length of active contribution to the forums, rather than the number of posts someone has. I have a ton of posts for someone who has been here less than three years, but I don't feel like "Filet Mignon" should describe my ranking, when people like MilwFoodlovers, Signman, Jennifer_4, John Fox, and some others, who have been around more than twice as long as me, are at the "lower" Double Chili Cheeseburger "ranking."

I think the rankings are fun at first, but truthfully, after a long time of being an active contributor, I don't think the person cares about their "ranking." For example, I don't think John Fox cares that he's not a Filet Mignon, because he's well respected by everyone. In fact, I think he might rather be a Hot Dog rather than some random slab of meat,(although, I don't mean to speak for you John )

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18947
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/05/15 15:49:20 (permalink)
I do not understand why anyone would care about the number of posts someone might have.
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/05/15 16:19:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

You should not care if others have "stars on thars", I know I don't.

You should get an "Ol' 76er Steak" rating for that reference. Very nice.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/05/16 18:01:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

... However, I think since more and more people became fixed upon the number of posts people had, it seems it was decided to abandon the idea of creating more "rankings" based on numbers.

It seems silly to me, to congratulate people for posting a lot. Instead, I like to celebrate the number of years people have contributed to the site.

Sadly this leaves out the many years I (& likely others?!) was a lurker, and actually had to change my "handle" so my original sign-on date was erased (long sordid story)... but I don't actually disagree.
magcentric
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/05/17 01:56:11 (permalink)
I don't have a strong competitive spirit, but the day I became a Hamburger, I was
quite proud.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/05/17 02:33:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by swirsk53

SO, HOW MANY POSTINGS DOES ONE NEED TO BE RATED BACON & AVACADO BURGER?

Dunno.. But if you can tell me what it takes to make Chili Dog, I'd be happy!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/05/17 05:29:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

If it were all about insight, trust me on this one, I would be a super-duper roquefort-stuffed rotisserie tenderloin.

I'll have what the Gentleman on the Feed Store Scale is havin'!
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2008/07/14 18:37:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

swirsk53-
It based solely on your number of posts. Here is the scale:

0 - 49 Junior Burger
50 - 99 Hamburger
100 - 499 Cheeseburger
500 - 999 Double Cheeseburger
1000 - 2499 Double Chili Cheeseburger
2500 and up Filet Mignon

As for how to become a super-duper roquefort-stuffed rotisserie tenderloin, only Poverty Pete knows!

This should be posted to a general HELP section or other easily-located reference area on this site. I've been searching for almost an hour to get to this table!
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
Flagged as Spam (1)
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/03 20:21:25 (permalink)
Good information here.. 
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/16 21:37:51 (permalink)
Who Flagged me and why? 
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2329
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/18 10:08:17 (permalink)
During times of crisis, men such as Douglas MacArthur and Dwight Eisenhower are occasionally elevated to the rank of five star general, but it's not a permanent rank.
It's true that I once held the rank of super-duper roquefort-stuffed rotisserie tenderloin, but once the crisis was averted, I was reduced to my permanent rank of double chili cheeseburger.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/18 11:16:17 (permalink)
I think the title at 20k posts is 'Candy bar floating in the pool'

ala Caddyshack
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/18 17:48:19 (permalink)
Don't worry about the flag, turtle. Some people don't realize, that while this post is 5 and 1/2 years old-it is NEW to you!
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/19 16:15:15 (permalink)
I've been on here for nearly 11 years, and if I've even made it to my thousandth post -- whoopie...

It is absolutely what you have to contribute to Roadfood that matters most, and that's it. I don't care about "Cheeseburger" status and just never did.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6430
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/19 18:02:07 (permalink)
I think after a certain number of posts you should be able to name your own favorite road food.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7384
RE: User Ratings-Hameburger, Cheeseburger, 2x chili ch 2014/02/19 18:08:26 (permalink)
Davydd

I think after a certain number of posts you should be able to name your own favorite road food.

And yours would be?  Wait!  Let me guess!  Super Duper Extra Large BPT!!!! 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1