• Total Posts : 3308
2006/03/29 22:21:36 (permalink)

Using gasoline to start a bbq

Real men of genius; Mr.Gasoline BBQ Starter http://gasbbq.ytmnd.com

6 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Using gasoline to start a bbq 2006/03/29 22:31:10 (permalink)
    It Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy monolog-from Delirious.... When his dad did the BBQ at 4th of July in the backyard.. LOL..
    Goonie Goo Goo Aunt Bunny!
    ((I love those commericals....))
    ardee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Using gasoline to start a bbq 2006/03/29 23:43:57 (permalink)
    Back about 1998-1999 there was a web site that showed a short video of the winner of that years's charcoal grill contest at the annual picnic of some college's physics department. I am afraid I don't remember what college; I just happened to find the site while browsing the internet, watched the video half a dozen times, and then moved on.

It seems that a few years earlier at the picnic a couple of the physicists got into a discussion about who could, from a cold start, have a charcoal grill lit and fully ready to cook the food. I believe a few beers were involved as well. They held a competition, and the debate was settled for the year.

The loser was not happy about the results of the first contest, and the following year arrived at the annual picnic prepared for a rematch. He did win the competition, using some relatively exotic equipment and materials.

Well, things just sort of escalated from there, and some of the other scientists and graduate students also entered the fray so that for a few years there were several entrants to this contest.

The web site had this video that lasted all of 10 seconds, and showed the entire cycle from initial ignition to fully involved charcoal and beyond of the winning entry for that last year. As I remember it, the winner's equipment and materials included a standard, very inexpensive, stamped steel and wire charcoal grill, some ordinary charcoal briquets, some copper tubing, a valve, some magnesium shavings, a tank of liquid oxygen, and a remote electrical ignition system. My general impression was that not only was the charcoal burning well at the finish, so was the grill.
    ardee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Using gasoline to start a bbq 2006/03/30 00:35:34 (permalink)
    Okay, I did some searching around the web, and it seems the college was Purdue and it was the engineering department picnic, not the physics department.

I saw the video on the college's web site before the university shut down the page containing it - it is no longer available.

The columnist Dave Barry wrote an article about the contest in 1995 - in this article he talks about the flimsy discount-store grill video which is the one I tried to describe. You should be able to find this article, titled "Nuclear Picnic", using Google if you are interested.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Using gasoline to start a bbq 2006/03/30 07:23:57 (permalink)
    My dad used to have no patience with starter fluid and often got the gas can when he got mad at the charcoal. Many times I'd hear that "WHOOOMP" when the gas ignited and he'd come into the house with singed hair on his forearms and eyebrows.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Using gasoline to start a bbq 2006/03/30 08:33:45 (permalink)
    I have heard this before somewhere, but it is very appropriate for this moment.
    AL--- "One-Iron...I am Your Father"!
    One Iron--- "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Using gasoline to start a bbq 2006/03/30 16:46:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I have heard this before somewhere, but it is very appropriate for this moment.
    AL--- "One-Iron...I am Your Father"!
    One Iron--- "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

You're almost old enough, but rest his soul, dear dad passed on several years ago. Not from a grill fire though. Watching him do some of those things were great education for me, although it drove Mom crazy.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1