Vancouver BC

Author
mikiebob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2008/05/19 17:34:56 (permalink)

Vancouver BC

We are motoring from Portland OR to Vancouver, BC Any suggestions on where to eat in the 'couv?

Thanks

15 Replies Related Threads

Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/19 19:53:42 (permalink)
    Give us a little idea of what you like.
    pitxitxita
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/20 10:15:04 (permalink)
    La Bodega Spanish Restaurant - 1277 Howe Street, Vancouver, BC
    Had the pleasure of going there with exchange students from Spain - they said it was just like home. Food was excellent. My personal favorite - clams, jamon, ceviche and of course the sangria (which is surprisingly strong). It is a must stop anytime we get up that way. Here's a review for you. http://www.foodvancouver.com/restaurant-review.php?restaurant=56

Death by Chocolate - 1598 W. Broadway, Vancouver, BC
    Spouse used to say "No such thing as too much chocolate" this place proved otherwise. We split the sampler plate because there are just too many choices. Trendy more than homey.
    mikiebob
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/20 10:38:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Voyageur

We are pretty much omnivores, but like burgers, steaks probably best. We are survivors of the recent BBQ Roadfood tour of the Austin area and thought we had died and gone to heaven, but aren't looking necessarily for Canadian barbecue
    GeoNit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/20 10:58:16 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood, mikiebob!

If you are logged-in at Roadfood, just hit the search link at the top right of this page and do a simple search for "Vancouver", which should bring up links to several dozen Roadfood threads that mention Vancouver. You'll find about a dozen or so of the threads that are Vancouver-dining specific.

Such as: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11924&SearchTerms=vancouver
    mikiebob
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/20 11:00:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GeoNit

Welcome to Roadfood, mikibob!

If you are logged-in at Roadfood, just hit the search link at the top right of this page and do a simple search for "Vancouver", which should bring up links to several dozen Roadfood threads that mention Vancouver. You'll find about a dozen or so of the threads that are Vancouver-dining specific.

Thanks. We noobs need all the help we can get.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/21 12:05:00 (permalink)
    1) Going to do something I seldom do and suggest a regional chain for burgers and upscale full meals: White Spot, with locations throughout the Vancouver area, but mine upon which this recommendation is based is 5367 West Boulevard, just north of 41st.

Outstanding food for the price. Substitute sweet potato fries with chipotle mayo for regular.

http://www.whitespot.com/

2) Outstanding dim sum lunches in nice atmosphere, east of Chinatown: http://www.pinkpearl.com/

3) My favorite Vancouver Chinese restaurant is the Buddhist vegetarian Bo Kong Chinese restaurant at 3068 Main Street near 16th.

Excellently prepared dishes, with great sauces, in a pleasant atmosphere. I've enjoyed everything I've tried. No real meat or fish served, but you won't miss them. Not expensive.

Most customers are of Chinese descent. One recent server did not speak very good English, but that may be a plus, because this place is off the usual tourist path.
    mikiebob
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/21 12:10:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Voyageur. The list of Asian resaurants is dizzying, so it's great to have some guidance. Speaking of local chain burgers, one I had on our list is Vera's. What's your take on them?
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/21 12:29:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mikiebob

quote:
    Originally posted by Voyageur

We are pretty much omnivores, but like burgers, steaks probably best.

I can't guarantee that it is still in existence, but I can recall having a very good meal (steak, plus some other nice items) at Hy's, which is located in a fairly elegant old home. Unfortunately, I don't have a record of the address, but how many places could there be in Vancouver by the name of Hy's? Good service, good food, and prices that (IIRC) weren't too bad. Of course, that was before the dollar dropped to a value similar to that of Charmin bath tissue!
    mikiebob
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/21 12:38:59 (permalink)
    I Googled Hy's, and it's still there, apparently going strong. Thanks. Actually, I think Charmin is a little more valuable right now. I'm taking several rolls up with us.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/05/21 14:26:24 (permalink)
    mikiebob, don't worry about the exchange rate--Vancouver's never been an expensive restaurant city compared to the likes of Chicago and NYC. You can spend a lot of money if you try, though!

Last trip, I drove past where Hy's used to be and didn't see it, but that seems to be it online at a new location in the city center. Have no idea how it is now.

Strangely, I've never been to a Vera's. Although I no longer live in Vancouver, I do go back at least once a year, and will remedy that.

Speaking of Chinese restaurants, if you have time just for one, do the Pink Pearl at lunch for dim sum. Few cities support that variety and quality.

luscious
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/06/17 12:05:07 (permalink)
    I don't know if you've left yet, but Vancouver's little secret jewel is "The Fraser Park Cafe." It's not right downtown. In fact, it's located in an industrial district on Byrne Rd. It's ambiance is surreal (read: out there), and it's food is majestic. Anton, the proprietor is a certified German fleishmeister and makes all his own bacon, ham and sausage. His wife is the queen of soup and makes the world's best Indonesian hot sauce. In ten years, I have never had a meal there that wasn't absolutely fantastic. If you're lucky you'll hit a day the whole family is working, and Anton may even break into a drum solo on his drum kit which is set up in the center of the restaurant. They cater mostly to the surrounding industrial area and so are open from about 2am to 2pm.

In response to your previous question, Vera's is great! I have friends who will only eat a Vera's burger for breakfast when the have a hangover.

Memphis Blues makes some great BBQ too. They have two locations I believe.

Sophie's Cosmic Cafe has really decent breakfast. They are in Kitsilano. There is usually a line up out the door on weekends, but it moves quickly and is worth the wait.
    mikiebob
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/06/17 12:20:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by luscious

I don't know if you've left yet, but Vancouver's little secret jewel is "The Fraser Park Cafe." It's not right downtown. In fact, it's located in an industrial district on Byrne Rd. It's ambiance is surreal (read: out there), and it's food is majestic. Anton, the proprietor is a certified German fleishmeister and makes all his own bacon, ham and sausage. His wife is the queen of soup and makes the world's best Indonesian hot sauce. In ten years, I have never had a meal there that wasn't absolutely fantastic. If you're lucky you'll hit a day the whole family is working, and Anton may even break into a drum solo on his drum kit which is set up in the center of the restaurant. They cater mostly to the surrounding industrial area and so are open from about 2am to 2pm.

Dang, we've come and gone, and that sounds just exactly like the kind of place we were looking for. Instead I drug us to a place for spaghetti and meatballs, with truffle cream sauce and Kobe beef meatballs. The spaghetti was to die for but the meatballs, not so much. Thanks anyway.
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Vancouver BC 2008/06/17 22:38:58 (permalink)
    Those who know the city better than me (was there 20 years ago) might steer you to one of the authentic Brittany creperies in the city--reasonably priced and delicious.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Vancouver BC 2012/07/25 09:13:14 (permalink)
    Updates: The Pink Pearl closed. Bo Kong closed, but eventually reopened at a new location. I no longer recommend it.

I have tried Vera's (various locations) since original posts. I like it.

Although its food quality varies (best for Canadian/American type items in my opinion), the Naam, on 4th in the Kits area, remains a favorite. http://www.thenaam.com/ Great atmosphere. Easier to get into at lunch.
    Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Vancouver BC 2012/07/27 16:27:13 (permalink)
    I second the recommendations for both White Spot and Hy's.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1