Varsity in Downtown Atlanta

Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
2003/06/23 20:02:06 (permalink)

Varsity in Downtown Atlanta

Has anyone been to Varsity Drive-In in Atlanta. Burgers, Chili Dog, onion rings and orange shakes are their specialty?

Largest seller of Coca-Cola in the world. They are near Coke's headquaters.

What do you think of Varsity? I like them and always visit them when in Atlanta.

18 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/23 20:14:59 (permalink)
    If you have ever lived in Hotlanta or ever visited there and NOT been to The Varsity, you "jist ain't rite" Nuff said.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/23 20:35:33 (permalink)
    The orange frosted is a definite finish to a meal that has had the rings and a chili dog or two...and yes,you see TONS of folks with Coca-Cola ID badges eating there...
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/23 21:57:07 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    My fave is the chili cheese fries. My doctor winces at the idea, but somehow my friend Bob hasn't croaked yet from eating them a minimum of once a week for 45 years. I'd hate to have the job of driving his arteries, though... Atlanta traffic is blockaded enough.
    Depositionally, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. There are THREE Varsity locations: the original in Atlanta midtown, near Georgia Tech; the Varsity, Jr. over at LaVista and Cheshire Bridge; and ours here in Athens, where Broad Street meets Milledge Avenue. - Enjoy. Anyone visiting the Athens location, tell my old, old friend Wilson Elder (manager) that I sent you. His dad used to run a great little collegiate place called The Co-Ed Restaurant on South Lumpkin Street here, but that is relagated to history... along with The Snack Shack on West Broad Street and Dixie Cream Donuts on up South Lumpkin... and the Jenny Bell Grill. Sigh.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/23 22:34:39 (permalink)
    "What'l you have?, What'l you have?"...I love The Varsity and eat there every visit to Atlanta!!
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 00:05:55 (permalink)
    Slaw dogs are the best.
    Jockey7
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 04:32:07 (permalink)
    Regarding the Varsity in Atlanta, I eat there as often as I can when in the city. My first experience with that famous fast-food place goes back to 1971 when I moved to Atlanta. When I moved to Augusta, I visited Atlanta on weekends, stopped at the Varsity on the way into town, then went back on my return to Augusta with chili dogs and put them in the freezer for consumption later. It still remains as my favorite anywhere. There are many stories to tell about the place, including visits made by U. S. presidents and other famous gourmets.
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 08:39:23 (permalink)
    And this would be a good year to visit, since it's the 75th anniversary of the place.

Fred Sauceman
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 10:36:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sauceman

And this would be a good year to visit, since it's the 75th anniversary of the place.

Do you reckon they will use this auspicious occasion to change the grease ???

*just kidding*
    Biscuit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 13:16:47 (permalink)
    When I lived in Atlanta, I lived not far from the Varsity. My fave was the chili cheese slaw dog and those awesome onion rings. Add to that the best atmosphere of any fast food place in the country and it's not hard to understand how they've been in business for so long.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 13:56:46 (permalink)
    Check out the website: www.thevarsity.com
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 16:35:27 (permalink)
    I have not been to the Varsity since the mid 70's. Then it was an experience and fun. I enjoyed their hot dogs, fries, burgers, onion rings. It was a blast to watch their inside organization. The place was huge.

Sorry to see it going downhill. I cannot stand anyplace that is even the slightest bit dirty, now matter how good the food. If it appears that way to me, I leave immediately.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/24 19:49:43 (permalink)
    That is a good website. What a concept, having restaurant noises on the website. Great.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/30 15:39:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    My fave is the chili cheese fries. My doctor winces at the idea, but somehow my friend Bob hasn't croaked yet from eating them a minimum of once a week for 45 years. I'd hate to have the job of driving his arteries, though... Atlanta traffic is blockaded enough.
    Depositionally, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. There are THREE Varsity locations: the original in Atlanta midtown, near Georgia Tech; the Varsity, Jr. over at LaVista and Cheshire Bridge; and ours here in Athens, where Broad Street meets Milledge Avenue. - Enjoy. Anyone visiting the Athens location, tell my old, old friend Wilson Elder (manager) that I sent you. His dad used to run a great little collegiate place called The Co-Ed Restaurant on South Lumpkin Street here, but that is relagated to history... along with The Snack Shack on West Broad Street and Dixie Cream Donuts on up South Lumpkin... and the Jenny Bell Grill. Sigh.
    Hey, Ort! there are more Varsities. One in Cobb near Town Center, one in Gwinnett, near Gwinnett Mall too.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/06/30 15:52:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I have not been to the Varsity since the mid 70's. Then it was an experience and fun. I enjoyed their hot dogs, fries, burgers, onion rings. It was a blast to watch their inside organization. The place was huge.

Sorry to see it going downhill. I cannot stand anyplace that is even the slightest bit dirty, now matter how good the food. If it appears that way to me, I leave immediately.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey, Paul, I think Andy just wanted to say that to get his 50 posts for a hamburger. Actually, the Varsity is not going downhill at all. It's about the same as before, maybe a little better. The newer places are very clean, almost sterile (in atmosphere,too). But certainly no worse than when you last visited. Service is better because they cater to groups better. And they have more PC foods now, (although one wonders why).
    mesolo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2003/07/14 03:45:39 (permalink)
    Went their a couple of months ago and agree the place isn't the cleanest and the servers are rude. With that said, the chili cheese dog was ok along with the orange drink.

My question is, what is about management that they can't control their workers. Why don't they say something when they're rude to everyone. Everyone likes good service and friendly waitstaff.
    john c
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2004/02/16 15:13:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,

P. S. There are THREE Varsity locations: the original in Atlanta midtown, near Georgia Tech; the Varsity, Jr. over at LaVista and Cheshire Bridge; and ours here in Athens, where Broad Street meets Milledge Avenue.

(above abridged)

And of course, Ort., the first Athens Varsity was downtown, almost directly across the street from UGA's "freshman arch", near the old Mayflower restaurant, Gingko Tree store (owned by dear friends of my family), the long-gone Spaghetti Store, & etc. Still broad St, perhaps, & I don't remember the cross street.
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2004/02/16 15:38:32 (permalink)
    Going to the Varsity was always a treat as a child. Now, when I go back "home", I always go to the Varsity. You can not beat the onion rings. This summer we went to the Athen's Varsity, and it was a little late, around 8 or so, and the rings were not good at all. I think they called a hot dog with mustard ( yellow streak up it's back) a yankee dog. I do remember that without chili a burger was a naked steak. p c was chocolate milk. They had great fried pies and ice cream, too. I always judge onion rings by theirs. They are a little greasy, but that is part of the charm. Onion rings aren't meant to be dry. I remember the onion opposite the Arch at UGA, too. I don't know why they ever closed it.
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Varsity in Downtown Atlanta 2004/02/16 15:42:55 (permalink)
    I meant to say, I remember the ONE opposite the Arch. I guess I have onions on the brain.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1