Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes

Author
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
2003/12/17 04:21:14 (permalink)

Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes

Meowzart suggested I ask the more accomplished chefs/ex-pro chefs here such as JaneDough and Ileechef about baking substitutes.

See, I love to bake and am great at baking everything in a traditional way. That means butter/margarine, dairy products, eggs and sugar.

Can any of you suggest substitutes for any of this stuff that I might work into the recipes I have? Recipes are welcome also, but I think a list of substitutes is particularly important as it means I can adjust any recipe by myself when I need to.

I ask this because I have a lot of vegan friends or friends with just a lot of different allergies such as lactose intolerance, allergy to eggs or worse, some of my friends are diabetic.

Any ideas?

9 Replies Related Threads

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 08:56:05 (permalink)
    To cut down on sugar, or eliminate it altogether, I have substituted apple sauce, apple cider, and honey. It depends on what you're making, of course. The good thing about using apple sauce is that it is not an overpowering flavor.
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 09:20:02 (permalink)
    Author Carol Fenster has a number of books specifically on this, as well as a Web site http://www.savorypalate.com/
    Grampy
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 09:48:41 (permalink)
    Clothier: Here is a story you will enjoy. My boss -- "she who must be obeyed" -- does not keep Kosher. When she first married, she wanted to impress her in-laws, who do keep Kosher. She was so pleased at the beautiful challa she made. The in-laws were not, it being Passover.
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 11:18:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

Hmm. This is a toughy. Have you considered looking at any kosher cookbooks? Because you can't mix dairy and meat, some of the desserts designed to go with meat dinners might be what you are looking for. Also, recipes that are kosher for passover. You can't eat anything that has leavening in it for passover, so there may be some thing you can use there as well.

hoipe it helps.

Hmm... never thought of it. I dated a New York Jewish boy for a while and he wasn't kosher (though his parents were and his dad was FLABBERGASTED that he was dating a shiksa...)so we never really observed any of the kosher rules (he also made it so I needn't cook for his parents when they visited, not because he was ashamed of my cooking--that boy fattened up 10lbs while he was dating me!--but he didn't want an already tense situation to blow up...).

I'll try to locate some kosher cookbooks though there's probably less here in the UK than in the USA.

Any kosher recipe webpages to recommend?

In the past, I've coped by making Asian desserts which are coconut and seaweed based or Chinese sweet soups made from a whole range of ingredients unfamiliar to most people including aduki beans, mung beans, lotus seeds, white fungus (it's not as gross as it sounds--we've been eating it for thousands of years and it's fairly expensive stuff!) etc etc. As you can imagine, not many people take to it as it is a new food to most. It'll catch on though: dairy-free, egg-free. Unfortunately, most of those Southeast Asian and Chinese desserts are meant for hot weather so there's not much choice for cold-weather-stick-in-your-gut desserts except maybe stuff sweet steamed buns of all sorts that you get on the dim sum trolley...
    Grampy
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 11:32:57 (permalink)
    BTW, Fenster (mentioned earlier here) also has about 15 recipes on her Web site, including pizza and desserts. She came up with her substitutes for people with food allergies, but they are also perfect for many vegan dishes.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 12:17:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

She came up with her substitutes for people with food allergies, but they are also perfect for many vegan dishes.

I'm so fortunate no one in my house is allergic to anything...except doing the dishes.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7024
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 12:28:31 (permalink)
    When you take the dairy products/butter/eggs/sugar out of the equasion it's going to be pretty tough to bake something tasty. For my friends (or customers) that had strict dietary requirements I always kept sorbet on hand. Fresh pureed fruit mixed with some simple syrup and put in the ice cream machine. Do some coooollll flavors like passion fruit, mango, papaya. Cuz there really is no substitute for butter, eggs, milk.
    Oh yes, I too am allergic to doing dishes!!!
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 12:41:45 (permalink)
    Here is a link to a wonderful Vegan Chocolate Cake:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/149861_vegancake.html

I have found that two (ok actually three) ingredients make baking much easier. The first being Ener-G Egg Replacer. It works well and it very easy to use. The other ingredients are butter replacements. I use a vegan margarine (Willow Run) that I can use almost one to one for butter. The other is coconut oil, however if you are watching saturated fats this is not a good one for you.

There are many many recipes out there, I would recommend starting at www.vegetariantimes.com and see the booklistings on www.vegan.com. If you want more info just ask.

Vinelady
    (vegan, and loving it)
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Vegan/non-dairy/eggless Baking Substitutes 2003/12/17 12:46:27 (permalink)
    Thanks Vinelady!

Curiously enough, before I came to the West to live, the only vegans I knew were the Buddhist nuns who tended the temple I went to while I was growing up... plus my cousin who took up veganism because her husband is one and refuses to compromise on letting her eat what she wants separately.

I'm going to try all the suggestions one at a time as I go through my dinner party list...

Thanks everybody!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1