Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 64
Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 09/14/03 1:31 PM (permalink)
RubyRose, that's an interesting and appealing array of vegetable offerings which you posted from the Willows. How about enlightening some of us, though, as to cabbage and noodles (like both but can't envision them together in one dish) and french fried pumpkin (like it stewed but never heard of it fried; is it like a fried potato or fried sweet potato?). Thanks

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 09/14/03 1:51 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

RubyRose, that's an interesting and appealing array of vegetable offerings which you posted from the Willows. How about enlightening some of us, though, as to cabbage and noodles (like both but can't envision them together in one dish) and french fried pumpkin (like it stewed but never heard of it fried; is it like a fried potato or fried sweet potato?). Thanks

Our church makes cabbage & noodles too and it's called Halushki so I would guess it's of Polish origin. It is cabbage and onions sauteed very long and slowly in butter until both are soft. Homemade egg noodles are cooked and drained and added to the cabbage mixture with salt and pepper. The heat is turned up a little to brown the whole thing to a golden brown.

The french fried pumpkin is sometimes strips of peeled pumpkin and tastes a lot like sweet potato fries. Sometimes they mash it and make it into balls coated with bread crumbs but I have no idea how. The FF eggplant is crosswise slices breaded and deep fried.

Liketoeat

RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 09/14/03 2:19 PM (permalink)
      RubyRose, thanks for the information. The cabbage and onions cooked together long and slow sounds good, but I would have never ever thought of adding cooked noodles to that mixture. Something to try if ever get into an area serving Halushki, or if I should ever get up nerve enough to try making it myself. Thought maybe the fried pumpkin would be something similar to sweet potato fries. Will definitely have to try that. Fried eggplant has always been one of my favorite foods and has always reminded me so of/been so similar in taste to a fried meat (say a chop or cutlet), much more so than any other vegetable prepared in any manner. Again, thanks for this info.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
        RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 09/14/03 2:35 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Liketoeat

I serve Hugarian noodles (noodles and cabbage) once in a while and it is a terrific dish......really tasty!

We went to the farmer's market "under the overpass" in Baltimore and after looking over all the things we bought, we discarded plans for going out to dinner tonight and are having a vegetable dinner which will consist of corn on the cob, fresh field beans with smoked turkey wings (a dear lady, while waiting in the bean line) gave me her "receipt"), 4 different kinds of sliced heirloom tomatoes, and hot biscuits and homemade applebutter (which I just finished making yesterday). For dessert, we will be having one of the last fresh peach pies of the season!

Does anyone have the cookbook titled "Spoonbread and Strawberry Pie" (I think that is exact title)? I bought fresh lima beans and am going to make the lima bean and beef stew from that book.......we just love it. We will have that for dinner one night this week. My goodness, I just realized how southern our meals sound right now!

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
          RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 09/14/03 9:45 PM (permalink)
          Takes it out of the meatless realm, but I've had cabbage and noodles with bacon that is just delicious. Basically you chop, then fry a pound of bacon and drain most, but not quite all, the fat. The bacon is then simmered along with a chopped head of cabbage, sauteed onions, and butter over a low flame till the cabbage is wilted soft. I like to add caraway seeds to it as well (and pepper, but easy on the salt if the bacon is salty). When it's done, I mix it with fresh-cooked egg noodles. It's great and filling on a cold night (and even better the next day).

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 09/14/03 10:10 PM (permalink)
            Dearfolk,
            Wandering back to Georgia from a holiday in N. C., we passed a farm selling produce. Various loveable crayon-lettered-on-cardboard signs extolled the available stuff-of-the-day, but one in particular caught my eye: "GREASY BEANS ARE IN", it read.
            Now what's a greasy bean? Are they pre-larded for refrying? Do they not need butter when you cook 'em up? Or do they have sideburns and drive souped-up 1957 Chevrolets with the back end jacked up and loud durgle-durgle mufflers? - Won't somebody tell me, or do I have to drive all 123 miles back up there (I know just where it's located at) to buy some, bring 'em back, and have my favorite restaurant, The Normaltown Cafe', fix me up a mess of them?
            I will be anxiously awaiting any even semi-serious response.
            Beanlessly (I Haven't Got A Clue, Nor A Flue To Smoke It Out Through), Ort. Carlton in As-Of-Now-Ungreasy Athens, Georgia.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
              RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Mon, 09/15/03 11:04 AM (permalink)
              Ort -- I wonder if they meant to write: "Creasy Greens are in"... much different meaning! ;^)

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
                RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Mon, 09/15/03 11:42 AM (permalink)
                My Slovak grandmother made haluski and that term described the noodles only... Boy, do I miss those delicious homemade noodles, but I miss her even more

Liketoeat

RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Mon, 09/15/03 1:46 PM (permalink)
                  RubyRose, chezkatie, Shara, NancyPeter, from all of your descriptions of and praise of the cabbage-onion-noodle combination dishes, they are something which I must try. As mentioned earlier, I like cooked cabbage or cabbage & onions and also noodles of all sorts - alone as a side dish, with meats or chicken as a main course, etc.- but I've never had, never before heard of, and never ever would have thought of the cabbage-noodle combination. Its something which apparently has never gotten to our area. I can't wait to try it, as I can't imagine either the taste or texture. Thanks for surely expanding my food horizons with this one.

And, Ort, when saw your "Greasy beans are in" sign, my first thought was it meant green beans are in and available for making good old southern greasy (with salt meat) long cooked, cooked to death green beans. Second thought though was don't believe that's it. Then wondered if greasy beans could refer to wax beans. Doubt that too. Will be interesting to learn real meaning of the term. Yesterday in a different forum I was praising Ryan's in ElDorado, AR, for both its quality and variety of foods. This reminds me that last time there in addition to couple of green bean casseroles they also offered just plain green beans cooked two entirely different ways - the old fashioned southern, greasy, soggy ones and then those which had been prepared al dente. Any place with this many different green beans dishes can't be all bad.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Thu, 05/6/04 11:06 AM (permalink)
                    I saw some of the greasy beans at the Ashevile Farmers Market. They look sort of like a pole bean with a greasy sheen to them. I guess when they are cooked, they will look like you cooked them in alot of grease. Must be a local mountain thing or something
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                    Wandering back to Georgia from a holiday in N. C., we passed a farm selling produce. Various loveable crayon-lettered-on-cardboard signs extolled the available stuff-of-the-day, but one in particular caught my eye: "GREASY BEANS ARE IN", it read.
                    Now what's a greasy bean? Are they pre-larded for refrying? Do they not need butter when you cook 'em up? Or do they have sideburns and drive souped-up 1957 Chevrolets with the back end jacked up and loud durgle-durgle mufflers? - Won't somebody tell me, or do I have to drive all 123 miles back up there (I know just where it's located at) to buy some, bring 'em back, and have my favorite restaurant, The Normaltown Cafe', fix me up a mess of them?
                    I will be anxiously awaiting any even semi-serious response.
                    Beanlessly (I Haven't Got A Clue, Nor A Flue To Smoke It Out Through), Ort. Carlton in As-Of-Now-Ungreasy Athens, Georgia.

PCC

• Total Posts: 111
                      RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sat, 05/8/04 2:09 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Sundancer7

As a matter of fact, Walmart sells them in their Knoxville stores, and yes, they are great. Probably better than Moon Pies, The main reason Moon Pies are great is their history. They got passed up by better snack cakes, but who can forget a Moon Pie and a RC cola? I carried papers back in the 50's on my bicycle and I used to stop by an old country store each day and buy a moon pie and a RC Cola. At that time, it was better than anything I had ever known.

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN
                      I know what you mean. Here in Nebraska they don't have Moon Pies, but every grocery store knows me because I always get a RC Cola out of the cooler as I check out.

A few years ago I bought some mini Moon Pies on a trip back to KY. But I haven't seen any since. Was that just a one-time deal?

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                        RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Mon, 05/10/04 8:35 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by PCC

A few years ago I bought some mini Moon Pies on a trip back to KY. But I haven't seen any since. Was that just a one-time deal?

Nope. Have some in the pantry right now. Daughter takes them to school for snacktime...

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Mon, 05/10/04 9:02 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by emsmom

I saw some of the greasy beans at the Ashevile Farmers Market. They look sort of like a pole bean with a greasy sheen to them. I guess when they are cooked, they will look like you cooked them in alot of grease. Must be a local mountain thing or something.

emsmom,
                          The "greasy beans" sign was on a back state road outside of Canton, North Carolina, heading more or less toward Georgia.
                          Yes, it is a mountain thing, I've come to find out. They have a sheen, like you said. The original plant was a mutant, and what exists now came from that one. I've actually found reference to them on the web by doing a Google search.
                          Go get you some, ask of some of the locals how to cook 'em up, and let us know what they taste of. I'm bettin' they'll be larrupin' good.
                          Outflatlandishly, Ort. Carlton in Piedmontal Athens, Georgia.

b-n-kchefservice

• Total Posts: 69
                            RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Tue, 05/11/04 1:29 AM (permalink)
                            my favorite veggie dish prolly has to be fresh corn cut from the cob sauted with some crumbled bacon and sweet onion sprinkled generasly with salt and pepper.

momhardin2

• Total Posts: 1
                              RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 02/13/05 2:06 PM (permalink)
                              New to this board. I am trying to get in touch with Mayhaw Man. I have looked high and low on the internet for watermelon rind relish. I was wondering if he had the recipe for the relish. Thanks. Debbie, Tx

BT

RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sun, 02/13/05 11:19 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by b-n-kchefservice

my favorite veggie dish prolly has to be fresh corn cut from the cob sauted with some crumbled bacon and sweet onion sprinkled generasly with salt and pepper.

You have come upon something that much reminds me of cajun maque choux, one of my own favorites:

quote:
                                This is a recipe for a vegetable dish, Maque Choux, given by "Miss Pat" Johnston, of Mowata, Louisiana. It sez in the Augusta catalogue that she "won two Gold Medals for her Maque Choux". It's a simple dish, but takes some time to make correctly.

- 8 to 10 ears of cleaned corn
                                - 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
                                - 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
                                - 3/4 cup peeled & chopped fresh tomato
                                - 1 tsp sugar
                                - stick oleo or butter (I sometimes use bacon grease)
                                - salt and pepper to taste

Clean corn thoroughly. Cut the corn off of the cob, by cutting lengthwise 1/4" from top. Then scrape the corn cob with the side of the knife, to get the juice. Saute onion and bell pepper in oil. Then mix in all ingredients, season to taste. Reduce fire to low, cook 3/4 hour uncovered. Stir occasionally. Serves 4 to 6.

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                                  RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Wed, 02/16/05 3:54 PM (permalink)
                                  Few things better than a veggie plate at a good "Meat & Three". But don't be delusional that it's healthier or lower cal...in many cases the meats are healthier than the veggies! (that's why they're so good).

Personal favorite veggie plate ever:

Fried Okra
                                  Charleston Red Rice (or Savannah depending on where you are)
                                  Fried Cabbage
                                  Fresh Beets with lots o' butter

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Wed, 02/16/05 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
                                    Originally posted by emsmom

I saw some of the greasy beans at the Ashevile Farmers Market. They look sort of like a pole bean with a greasy sheen to them. I guess when they are cooked, they will look like you cooked them in alot of grease. Must be a local mountain thing or something.

emsmom,
                                    The "greasy beans" sign was on a back state road outside of Canton, North Carolina, heading more or less toward Georgia.
                                    Yes, it is a mountain thing, I've come to find out. They have a sheen, like you said. The original plant was a mutant, and what exists now came from that one. I've actually found reference to them on the web by doing a Google search.
                                    Go get you some, ask of some of the locals how to cook 'em up, and let us know what they taste of. I'm bettin' they'll be larrupin' good.
                                    Outflatlandishly, Ort. Carlton in Piedmontal Athens, Georgia.

I wonder, are they any relation to the "wax bean". That is one bean I have NEVER eaten, just doesn't sound good.

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                                      RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Tue, 02/22/05 4:42 PM (permalink)
                                      Rusty -

"Wax Bean" is another term for yellow bean. Not sure how it got the name, nothing particularly waxy about it. If you like green beans, you'll like these, but you don't find them fresh very often. The canned ones taste just like canned green beans, which is to say, YUCK!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                        RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Tue, 02/22/05 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Rusty -

"Wax Bean" is another term for yellow bean. Not sure how it got the name, nothing particularly waxy about it. If you like green beans, you'll like these, but you don't find them fresh very often. The canned ones taste just like canned green beans, which is to say, YUCK!

Carolina Bill, I thank you. I love green beans, they're one of my favorite vegetables. If you're SURE that's what wax beans taste like I'll give them a try granted I find fresh.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                          RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Tue, 02/22/05 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by momhardin2

New to this board. I am trying to get in touch with Mayhaw Man. I have looked high and low on the internet for watermelon rind relish. I was wondering if he had the recipe for the relish. Thanks. Debbie, Tx

Momhardin---he can be found over at egullet where he moderates the nLouisana forum! Tell him tiki say hi and to drop by some time---i miss his comments here alot!

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
                                            RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Tue, 02/22/05 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                            Ruggles restaurants in Houston have a great vegetable plate.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                              RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Fri, 04/15/05 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

"PO' FOLKS" one of the Pre-Cracker Barrel Chains in the south had a "PO' Plate" on the menu that consisted of 4 of the veggie's of the day at that particular foodstand. I think most of them are closed now, but they had a good thing going for awhile.

I remember "PO' Folks". I used to visit the one in or near Elizabetown / Fort Knox KY --- I think it might still be there. I remember creamed corn, beets, creamed spinach and sweet potatoes. And, the iced tea they served in one of those glass mugs that has a screw top.

Andrea

rachel d

• Total Posts: 7
                                                RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Wed, 04/20/05 3:01 AM (permalink)
                                                Jonathan Byrd's Cafeteria in Greenwood, just south of Indianapolis, serves wonderful, home-style (read Southern-style---I'm from WAY South, but live in Indy now) vegetables. You can get soft, flavorful butterbeans, several types of well-seasoned greens, melty cinnamony candied sweet potatoes, green beans and corn and several other options, as well as a variety of "casseroles" as side dishes or on a vegetable plate. Our family's favorite is what we call "everything" casserole---it looks as if they took all the leftover vegetables from the steam line and drained them thoroughly, chopping them a bit if need be, and then added in a cream sauce/soup and lots of cheese, as well as those french-fried onions which usually only see the light of day atop a green-bean casserole. There are tiny diced carrots as well as big tender rings, peas and lots of whole-kernel corn and tender broccoli and butterbeans, just depending on the occasion, and what must have been left in the larder. But always, brussels sprouts. Whole, softly steamed ones which have all their own graces and flavors, with none of that sat-too-long cabbage taste. They are left whole, and are the one incongruously-large note in an otherwise uniformly sized concoction, and just the combination of the sweet kernels and the salt of the other vegetables and the soft, unctuous smoothness of the broccoli and sprouts, mixed with the crisp, salty fried onions---I can see that this may have begun as a savings measure, and it has blossomed into our favorite dish.

I duplicate it (almost) at home occasionally, as well; Hubby and I usually choose several different dishes and share---we always order our OWN side of everything casserole.

mtgreen

• Total Posts: 25
                                                  RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Fri, 04/21/06 2:15 PM (permalink)
                                                  my father operated a small cafe in south-central alabama for over fourty years. lunch time(meat & three)always included a veg.plate option.with 5 or 6 selections(mac&cheese,peas,greens,okra,sliced tomatoes etc. very popular with his customers

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                                                    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Fri, 04/21/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                                    never heard of halushki before but can't wait to make it this weekend..the hubster wants to go vegetarian but he's a real eater; this should fill him up...thanks!

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                                                      RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Thu, 04/27/06 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      Better yet, fry up a pork chop then cut in strips and add to the cabbage and noodles,cook till brown.It dont get no better!

cyrano

• Total Posts: 120
                                                        • Location: Columbia, MO
                                                        RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sat, 04/29/06 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        They may not be world-class, but I miss the veggie plates I used to get at Threadgill's in Austin and even (gasp) Black-Eyed Pea. Yes, a chain-- but their namesake dish was reliable, they did a spicy BEP soup once a week that was tasty, and their rolls counterbalanced the lame attempts at healthy eating I kidded myself I was doing by ordering only veggies and not, say, chicken-fried steak.

Veggie selections in great cafeterias, such as the one in Texarkana and the late, lamented Highland Park in Dallas were always a treat.

lunamoth

• Total Posts: 28
                                                          • Location: bristol, RI
                                                          RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Fri, 06/23/06 5:02 PM (permalink)
                                                          I love the vegetable plates served at Ethiopian restaurants...the soft spongy bread, with varied dollops of spicy greens, legumes, saucy....ummmm

bgwangel

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: Macungie, PA
                                                            RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved Sat, 07/1/06 10:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by RubyRose

We had breakfast at a family-owned restaurant I have mentioned before – the Willows in East Texas, PA. I copied down the vegetable selection from today’s dinner menu:

Potato filling
                                                            French Fries
                                                            Tossed salad
                                                            Stewed tomatoes
                                                            Fresh yellow beans
                                                            Lettuce with warm bacon dressing
                                                            Cooked carrots
                                                            Cabbage & noodles
                                                            French fried pumpkin
                                                            Buttered squash
                                                            Broccoli with browned butter
                                                            French fried eggplant
                                                            Homemade applesauce
                                                            Apple fritters
                                                            Buttered corn
                                                            Brussels sprouts w/ browned butter
                                                            Pickled cabbage
                                                            Pickled beets
                                                            Pickled eggs
                                                            Rhubarb sauce
                                                            Cucumber salad
                                                            Sauerkraut
                                                            Cottage cheese with apple butter
                                                            Whole browned potatoes

Menu says – Vegetable platters available at $1.25 per vegetable

It's not a buffet so it's hard to narrow them down to 2 or 3.
                                                            Hi,
                                                            Would you happen to know what happened to The Willows? We drove by the other day and it was closed down.
                                                            Thanks

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 64

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com