Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1026
2003/04/05 10:37:47 (permalink)

Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved

Browsing through some photo files, I came across this Deep-South plate of luxurious vegetables, which, other than the copiously porky flavor of the butter beans (in the background) is a meatless delight. On the left are coastal South Carolina's creamy grits -- slow cooked all day with plenty of butter.

63 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/05 12:52:21 (permalink)
    With a beautiful plate like you have shown, I think I will become an eternal vegetarian (not). Nice pic and I could do that very frequently. The S&S cafeteria in Knoxville has veggies like that and I frequently do their veggie plate with their Mexican cornbread and some sweet southern tea.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1026
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/05 14:35:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

With a beautiful plate like you have shown, I think I will become an eternal vegetarian (not). Nice pic and I could do that very frequently. The S&S cafeteria in Knoxville has veggies like that and I frequently do their veggie plate with their Mexican cornbread and some sweet southern tea.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I was thinking of saying this plate was a good reason to go vegetarian, but those butter beans are sopped with hambone juice.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/05 15:10:00 (permalink)
    Seeing the plate will require me to cook some collards with hamhocks,Tennessee cornbread, candied yams with orange marmalade, fried corn, fried Okra, Tennessee greenbeans, fried potatoes with ppeppers and onions, fresh asparagus out of my garden a few minutes ago and a Moon Pie.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/08 21:22:36 (permalink)
    Paul see in some of your posts you like Moon Pies have you ever tryed a Kandy Kake from Tasty Kake from Phil. PA now available at some Food Lion Stores in your area
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/08 21:46:53 (permalink)
    As a matter of fact, Walmart sells them in their Knoxville stores, and yes, they are great. Probably better than Moon Pies, The main reason Moon Pies are great is their history. They got passed up by better snack cakes, but who can forget a Moon Pie and a RC cola? I carried papers back in the 50's on my bicycle and I used to stop by an old country store each day and buy a moon pie and a RC Cola. At that time, it was better than anything I had ever known.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/08 23:08:31 (permalink)
    Simple sauteed spinach with lemon, soya and garlic. Green beans with almonds and lemon. Breadcrumb and parmesan stuffed tomatoes. Carrots cooked in heavy cream with fresh chives. Rutabagas with caraway and mustard dressing. Chilled asparagus with mustard Mayo.

Shame on restaurants that serve the vegetable "medley" often undercooked veg with no flavour profile school of kife. Do one vegetable right and do it well. Respect is due to veg!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/09 21:35:07 (permalink)
    "PO' FOLKS" one of the Pre-Cracker Barrel Chains in the south had a "PO' Plate" on the menu that consisted of 4 of the veggie's of the day at that particular foodstand. I think most of them are closed now, but they had a good thing going for awhile.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/14 15:02:42 (permalink)
    For a great vegetable plate, complete with sliced homegrown tomtoes amd plenty of cornbread, try the Northport Diner in Northport, Alabama. Just on the other side of the Black Warrior River from Tuscaloosa.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/14 18:46:53 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I've been to The Northport Diner and can attest to its food. Excellent; the vegetables there are as good in their class as is breakfast at The Waysider... or Uncle Mort's up the way between Jasper and Dora/Sumiton on 78 Highway.
    There are several decent vegetable plates to be had in Athens, Georgia: most notable is The Grit on Prince Avenue: an ovo-lacto vegetarian place of great local fame (they even have a cookbook available: surf around and you'll find it). Well worth a visit in and of itself.
    Weaver D's on East Broad Street, another fine locally-known place, turns out good vegetables as well, but many are cooked with meat, so purists can't eat them. Weaver D. (Dexter Weaver to his fans) has also written a cookbook. His slogan "Automatic For The People" is where Athens band R. E. M. found the album title.
    Almost-as-good is Wilson's Soul Food on North Hull Street. Wilson's macaroni-and-cheese is to die for! I like it with a dab of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire (!); no other brand will do (my late mother made hers with that "secret" ingredient; she also used the oldest cheddar she could find - and real butter!).
    Plantation Buffet on Martin Luther King Dr. (turns into Commerce Road at that point) has a good all-you-can-eat cafeteria-line of decent veggies five days a week, and a mean breakfast as well.
    The great sleeper is The Gateway Cafe on North Avenue ("Don't use no accent on 'Cafe' - we ain't fancy," the manager drawled.). This choice little neighborhood spot serves fresh collards and turnips that are out of this world - when fresh are available. Everything else is mighty good, but - again - pork is apt to be an ingredient. The tour de force at The Gateway is chicken mull on Thursdays... Jane and Michael, y'all owe it to yourselves to journey down here and try it with me. I refer to it as Pentecostal penicillin, because many of the Holiness churches up north and east of here serve it at their church suppers.
    That concludes this report from Georgia's Classic City.
    Humbly Submitted, Ort. Carlton, the Not-So-Far-Travelling Trencherman.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/14 18:52:46 (permalink)
    Ort. Carlton: Where you have been, I wanna go. sounds like soul foode to me . I grew up on this type of food in East Tennessee. My collards and turnip greens that I planted last fall are being harvested right now. They will dimish in the next few weeks.

thanks for your description

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    GaGal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/19 16:36:24 (permalink)
    "Folks" is the updated version of "Po Folks" and they vary as most chains do; but we have enjoyed some good old-fashioned cooking at some of these. They have decent fried green tomatoes,and everything of the vegetable variety is passable. If you didn't cook at home, these would pass for perfectly delicious vegetables. There are quite a few of these places around the Atlanta area.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/19 17:03:24 (permalink)
    Georgia Gal:

We use to have a "Po folks" in Knoxville, several years ago. Started out real good but went down hill pretty quick. I did enjoy them when they were new, but after a while ????????

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Lovie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/22 01:22:43 (permalink)
    I recently made my first venture down below the Masin Dixxen Line (I hope I got that right) I am from North of what "Y'all" call Northerners, I am Canadian. I have heard all of my life of "Southern Hospitallity" and of "Southern cookin'" but I was bowled over when I actually got there and tried it for myself. I havn't stoped talking about it since. We visited the Belle Meade Dinner as per the Sterns listing in "The Guide" and we really felt that it was an underrated expereince. I am certain it is due inpart to the novelty of the items offered but the quality, quantity and variety of the vegtables and side dishes was over whelming. My eyes just about poped out of my head when I looked down that long line of suculent offerings at this culinary cathedral. I would drive to Nashville just to visit this veledrome of vegetables again. And it's a long drive.
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/04/22 01:48:29 (permalink)
    One of my favs during the summer time is a semi-meatless dinner of green beans cooked with fat back until they are a dark green, fresh corn on the cob, new potatoes, sliced home grown tomatoes, cole slaw and either biscuits or corn bread. I get home made butter at the local food co-op. I always shop at the local farmers market during the "growing season". Come on summer.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/18 12:32:53 (permalink)
    Had supper one night last week (not dinner one evening) at a literal roadside restaurant, literal in sense Ed & Kay's sits right alongside Interstate 30 on the southern edge of Benton, AR (about 25 mi. SW of Little Rock). Guess that location contributes to its being a "Roadfood" restaurant as well as its being housed in a big old white block building with the words "ED & KAY'S" painted in huge letters on the roof, being nothing special to look at either inside or out but nice & clean, being owned & operated by the same family for 27 yrs., and offering great food & great service. Our waitress was a family daughter and you could tell all waitresses were thoroughly experienced and professional, unlike those you now too often find. Had heard Ed & Kay's highly praised for years (particularly for its breakfasts, plate lunches, pies, & iced tea), but this was my first visit there.

Its dinner/supper menu is the standard folded, laminated menu with its soup, salad, sandwich, burger, plate lunch (fried & other chicken dishes, chicken fried steaks, hamburger steaks, roast beef, pork dishes, veggie plates, etc.), few steak and seafood dinners, desserts, and other standard offerings printed on it. Inserted in the menu is a daily printed sheet listing that day's plate lunch special, vegetable selections for the day, and any other specials for that day. The most unique thing about this menu was the great number of vegetables offered (some 10 or 12), and the manner in which vegetables were identified. Printed beside those vegetable dishes not previously served at the restaurant (& there weren't many of them) was the word "NEW". Printed beside the vegetable dishes prepared from vegetables fresh from the garden, field, patch, etc. was the word "FRESH" (many of them this time of year). Those veggie dishes which were both "NEW" and "FRESH" were so identified. Those vegetable dishes previously served and prepared from frozen vegetables had no descriptive or identifying words beside them. I've never seen this done in any other restaurant.

The vegetable selections looked so delicious that all four of us decided to go with vegetable plates. I had puple hull peas, a zucchini-tomato-onion dish (tastiest of this type I've ever had due to its butter and seasonings preparation), green beans & new potatoes (so delicious to die for), fried squash, and slaw. Everything was "fresh" except the peas; the zucchini-tomato-onion dish was also "new". The slaw was shredded the finest I've ever seen (really more extruded) and with its light, mild vinegar-mustard flavored dressing was delicious. All of this topped off with a big slab of cornbread made for a vegetable plate I'll long remember. Unfortunately it all left me so stuffed I was unable to try the pies, but from their appearance and our hosts' comments, I have no doubt that they lived up to their reputation. Hosts also said the breakfasts there were the best to be found in that area.

In this day of the small independent being replaced by the corporate giant in so many areas of business, it's good to see a mom and pop establishment which does a good job survive and prosper. That is particularly so with Ed and Kay's being located at the end/beginning (depending on direction you are traveling) of a 25 mile stretch of restaurants, the majority of which are branches of corporate chains.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/18 12:48:31 (permalink)
    Sundancer7 - I just noticed your 4/5 and 4/8/03 posts above regarding RC's and Moon Pies. If that doesn't bring back many memories, not only of eating them as a kid but also of selling thousands of them when growing up working in my dad's country general store. What was it that made the RC's so special with Moon Pies? Back then Pepsis were by far the biggest seller, but if one was going to have a Moon Pie, the accompanying drink was nearly always an RC Cola. By the way, did you all also happen to have Stageplanks in addition to Moon Pies? Great Memories.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/18 18:16:46 (permalink)
    I've eaten at Ed & Kay's many times over the years. As usual, Liketoeat is correct. I highly recommend it, FWIW.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/18 21:58:47 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    That menu at Ed & Kay's in Arkansas sounds like the one at Gus' Sir Beef on Monroe Road in Charlotte, N. C. - difference is, Gus is Greek-born, and the entire menu is written in loveably fractured Greco-English: "FRESH THIS MORNING MY FARM CHESTERFIELD COUNTY S.C." is one such example.
    My friend Sylvia took me there just once, and I have never forgotten the experience, in spite of the fact that it was ten years ago. Gee... I wonder what goodies she's turned up since returning to Atlanta. I'll just have to give her a call when I get there... I'll get back to y'all.
    Curiouser And Curiouser, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/18 22:25:10 (permalink)
    Bushie, thanks for your kind comments, and seeing my opinion of Ed & Kay's coincides with that of a real pro, namely you, makes me a bit more confident in my restaurant judgments. Thanks again.
    And, Ort. Carlton, sounds like your Gus' Sir Beef visit was a wonderful experience/adventure. Do you have any idea if it is still there? Hope your friend can come up with other such delightful finds for you. Liketoeat
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/19 04:20:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

Sundancer7 - I just noticed your 4/5 and 4/8/03 posts above regarding RC's and Moon Pies. If that doesn't bring back many memories, not only of eating them as a kid but also of selling thousands of them when growing up working in my dad's country general store. What was it that made the RC's so special with Moon Pies? Back then Pepsis were by far the biggest seller, but if one was going to have a Moon Pie, the accompanying drink was nearly always an RC Cola. By the way, did you all also happen to have Stageplanks in addition to Moon Pies? Great Memories.

I think one of the things that made the Moon Pie and RC Cola so great was there was not so many choice's. If you think back to when your dad had the store, there was not 100 different pies and cakes available or 100 different soft beverages.

You sort of took what was available and enjoyed it.

I also use to get the nickle cups of vanilla ice cream and buy a Grapette and gently pour it over the paper cup and use a wood spoon to enjoy. That was when I had a 5 mile paper route at the age of 7. I made about $3.50 weekly doing this 7 days a week. I had a Schwin bicycle, single speed and it weighed more than I did. Sorta tough peddling that thing through the Tennessee hills. It was not much, but at my poor old school, I was rich.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/19 10:58:35 (permalink)
    While at Po Folks having vegetables, one should not have passed up their catfish or fried chicken. Being from the North, but living in the South for a short time, I truly appreciated the fried chicken. It was great cold the next day (along with biscuits, of course) to take on a picnic!

Does anyone remember a place in Atlanta (Buckhead section) with a name something like the Food Mill? The vegetables there were amazing also. (I'll check on the correct name...) The last time I was there was during the early 80's, so it might be gone.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/19 19:40:23 (permalink)
    Is Po Folks still in existence? They were in Knoxville about 5-6 years ago and left. I sorta liked them, but they left. I thought they went belly up

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/20 07:55:56 (permalink)
    I believe I heard (don't take this as gospel though) that they went out of business. I think the singer/songwriter Bill Anderson owned the chain and it got into a considerable amount of financial difficulty and went out of business !!!
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/06/20 11:09:33 (permalink)
    scbuzz, though not certain of its accuracy, my understanding of the fate of Po Folks is the same as
    yours.

And, Sundancer, I think you are right about our appreciating what was available years ago because there was so little variety of it. In addition to the moon pies and stageplanks, I remember "penny cookies" which sold for 1 cent each out of big bulk containers, and there were a few little cakes, cinnamon rolls, etc. which were distributed by the bread companies, and that was about it. Soft drink selections were also very limited compared with what is available today, but believe selection of them and of candies was a little better than that of cookies and cakes. Do you know why everyone always got a RC Cola when also eating a Moon Pie, but majority of same folks would get a Pepsi Cola if drinking a cola only? Did you ever do the "salted peanuts in the Pepsi; thumb on top of bottle & shake it up" bit? I'd forgotten those little nickle cups of vanilla ice cream and the wooden spoons. I had not thought in years of my bicycle (about identical to yours) which I rode (2 miles each way) every day for 6 years to our literal little "2 room country schoolhouse" (2 teachers total; 1 teacher teaching 4 grades of about 6 students each in each of the 2 rooms). At that school, my bicycle was "top notch", too. Fortunately, I didn't have your hills to contend with in my daily rides. All great memories. Liketoeat
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/07/19 10:12:19 (permalink)
    Right now is the best time of year for vegetable lovers in the deep south. Tomatoes, squash, peas (lady, zippers, purple hull, cow, black eyed, any kind), butter beans, snap beans, pole beans, okra (yes, I like it any way you can fix it, especially with fresh tomatoes and nions and garlic). Eggplant (on the grill or fried or in rattatoulle, or stuffed with crabmeat or shrimp or crawfish), cucumbers (sliced and soaked for a couple of hours in a little vinegar and ice water, or as dill, bread and butter, or any other kind of pickle. I love green tomato relish, watermelon rind relish, chow chow, and fresh pepper sauce. AGGGGHHHHHHHH, must go cook.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/07/21 12:59:02 (permalink)
    Mayhaw Man - Man, if I'm not gettting hungry here about noontime reading your post immediately above. Though I so enjoyed the barbecue and prime rib I ate last week and just wrote of, your southern summer vegetables described above are, when it comes right down to it, really better than those delicious meats. You didn't mention a thing which I don't love, and about only things I can think of which I'd include which you didn't mention are some good "roasneers" (roasting ears/corn on cob), potatoes, some cornbread & butter, and iced tea to go with this, and maybe an ice cold watermelon for mid-afternoon eating. Right on, Man. Liketoeat PS - Typo correction.
    chilidawgguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/08/14 14:42:45 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Seeing the plate will require me to cook some collards with hamhocks,Tennessee cornbread, candied yams with orange marmalade, fried corn, fried Okra, Tennessee greenbeans, fried potatoes with ppeppers and onions, fresh asparagus out of my garden a few minutes ago and a Moon Pie.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    [/Don't forget the RC Cola.quote]
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/09/14 11:37:16 (permalink)
    We had breakfast at a family-owned restaurant I have mentioned before – the Willows in East Texas, PA. I copied down the vegetable selection from today’s dinner menu:

Potato filling
    French Fries
    Tossed salad
    Stewed tomatoes
    Fresh yellow beans
    Lettuce with warm bacon dressing
    Cooked carrots
    Cabbage & noodles
    French fried pumpkin
    Buttered squash
    Broccoli with browned butter
    French fried eggplant
    Homemade applesauce
    Apple fritters
    Buttered corn
    Brussels sprouts w/ browned butter
    Pickled cabbage
    Pickled beets
    Pickled eggs
    Rhubarb sauce
    Cucumber salad
    Sauerkraut
    Cottage cheese with apple butter
    Whole browned potatoes

Menu says – Vegetable platters available at $1.25 per vegetable

It's not a buffet so it's hard to narrow them down to 2 or 3.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Vegetable Plates I Have Known and Loved 2003/09/14 12:33:45 (permalink)
    In Columbia, Tn, there is a place called Stan's. Given its' proximity to Lebanon, Tn., I wonder whether this is the place that inspired the people who came up with Cracker Barrel. It has been there since 1947, I think. A few weeks ago, I noticed that Cracker Barrel started construction on yet another store right across the street. I hope this doesn't spell the end for Stan's, but I fear the worst.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1