The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Vegetable Soup Recipes

ladybugplus

• Total Posts: 3
Vegetable Soup Recipes Sat, 10/30/04 1:30 AM (permalink)
Hi I once had a veggie soup mix I used to add to my vegetable soup that gave it a really good tasting broth but I cannot find it anywhere. Sadly I even forgot the mae of it. I do remember it was in the produce section of supermarket (not in soup section) Anywho it gave my veggie soup that really traditional broth taste you get in camplells vegt soup. I never could make it on my own but the mix I had did the trick. I hope someone can pick up on what I mean and share their secret to getting this taste. I wasted a whole day yesterday in making mine w/o the mix and it tasted terrible had to throw it all out. Please I love homemade vegtable soup All tips, recipes etc please share TIA Laura

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Sat, 10/30/04 2:04 AM (permalink)
    I know this is going to sound obnoxiously snobby and I wish there were some other way to put it, but I feel very sad if we've come to the day when, in order to get "traditional broth taste" in soup, we have to add a dry mix.

Personally, I don't think I've ever had a home-made vegetable soup that was so bad I'd have thrown it out.

The best "tip" I can give you is that most really good soups start with some kind of stock. You can make a vegetable stock by putting a couple of yellow onions (quartered but NOT peeled), a bunch of celery, 5 or 6 carrots and 5 or 6 tomatoes (I like fresh plum tomatoes for this or you could use canned) in a large pot; fill it with water and bring to a boil on the stove. Once boiling gently, cover it and place it in a 225 degree oven over night. The next morning, pour the contents of the pot through a sieve, straining out all the veggies. Throw these veggies away--their flavor will now be in the liquid which is your stock. You can go a step further and concentrate the stock by putting it back on the stove and boiling it until the volume reduces by half or so. You should then have something approaching a Campbell's concentrated soup stock and it should have a fairly intense flavor (if it's too intense, you can always add some water back).

This stock, obviously, is vegetarian. You could make a beef-vegetable stock by adding about 5 lbs of sawed up marrow bones that have been roasted for 2 hours or so until they are dark brown (pour off the fat) to the pot along with the veggies at the beginning of the process.

Once you have your stock, make your vegetable soup using this liquid rather than water. Add new veggies of your choice--I like corn, green beans, cauliflour, carrots, celery and potatoes and so on, and simmer them in the stock until they are done--about 1/2 hour or so. If you like a lot of tomato flavor, add some more tomato too. Near the end of the cooking, you can add pasta such as orzo if you like that in your soup. Also, toward the end of the cooking, taste and add an appropriate amount of salt (it might need quite a lot since your home-made stock is unsalted). You might even find a pinch or two of sugar pleasing (not too much!).

I have not suggested any herbs--that's a matter of personal preference. If you know what you like, use it by all means. Maybe a little basil couldn't hurt, especially if you have used more tomatoes. Parsley is nearly always good and harmless. If you want a subtle "Italian" flavor, maybe a touch of marjoram.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
      RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Mon, 11/1/04 9:21 AM (permalink)
      I make a beef stock by browning my beef and then adding onion to it and letting it brown. Then I add some water and let this cook for about two hours before adding my vegis. To this liquid , I also add some tomato juice and a pinch of sugar. Then I add all kinds of vegis-more onion, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, okra, corn , green peas,green beans. limas, canned tomatoes or fresh if I have them. I also add a couple shakes of hot sauce and plenty of black pepper. I don't add celery-I love raw celery but don't care for it cooked except sauted in turkey dressing.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Tue, 11/30/04 6:39 PM (permalink)
        Excellent ideas on soup starters. One that I used, in a sense, was kind of an ongoing thing. Whenever I peeled potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. I would boil the peels in the water, add salt, then put in the fridge until soup time. Then I took this "broth" and put on the stove for an hour or so until the veggies are soft. At this point you can skim off the top for a clearer broth, press through a sieve, or put in a blender and pulverize the H out of it. Doesn't sound very pretty but it was pretty versatile.

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
          RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Tue, 11/30/04 8:12 PM (permalink)
          I just made veggie soup the other day and it came out really well. Nothing exciting, just yummy, fresh and low-cal. And filled with vitaminy-goodness!

I went to the supermarket, bought a head of cabbage, some stuff from the salad bar (didn't want to slice and dice any more than necessary -- too busy) like shredded carrots, celery, onions. Bought handful of fresh green beans. Then I got a small can of tomato paste, and another can of chopped tomatoes (I think the one I got was tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms...something like that). Went home, got out a big soup pot, put in the tomato paste and canned tomatoes, cut up the cabbage, snapped the beans into small pieces, dumped that and the other veggies into the pot, filled the pot with water until it just covered the veggies, added one envelope of dried onion soup and simmered until everything had cooked down. Tasted it...added a little salt and pepper. Voila! Yummy, flavorful soup. Good stuff. Whole thing took less than an hour, and most of that time was just the simmering part. I'll be making it again soon!

Sundancer7

RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Tue, 11/30/04 8:19 PM (permalink)
            I guess Lleechef is the soup expert. I would appreciate hearing her recipe for veggie soup.

The Sundancer is certainly no expert cook. My veggie soup usually consist of whatever happens to be in the frige and adding some seasoning along with some pork or beef. I usually have that along with some East Tennessee fried cornbread. To use Emeril's phrase, it reall kicks it up several noches.

PS: I always add some hot peppers.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6228
              RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Wed, 12/1/04 3:46 AM (permalink)
              Sundancer, I've probably made more thousands of gallons of soup than anybody else on this forum.......but that does not make me an expert! I simply LOVE to eat soup and LOVE to make soup so I would not allow anybody in any of my kitchens to make it....that was the chef's job!

As there are many, many variations of vegetable soup, one of my favorites is La Soupe au Pistou....a Mediterranean specialty. Believe it or not, the base is.....WATER! You start off with sliced leeks, diced onion and chopped garlic, briefly saute in a little olive oil. Add diced potato and generously cover with water (to accomidate the other vegetables). Bring to a boil and begin to add vegetables according to how long they take to cook.....peppers, green beans first, then cauliflower and broccoli florettes, then the zucchini, summer squash and peas last.

For the pistou: a can of tomato paste in a bowl, two handfulls of grated parmesan, basil (chiffonnade of fresh or dried flakes). Whisk all of this together then whisk in olive oil. Take a few ladles of the broth and add to the pistou and whisk together. Add this to the soup and add pepper and perhaps a little more cheese.

Any kind of bean or garbanzos can also be added! Serve with a little grated cheese and a good garlicky crouton on top and enjoy!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Thu, 12/2/04 9:28 AM (permalink)
                My veg/beef soup starts out w/ browned soup bones that I then place in the crockpot w/ onions, celery, carrots, water, salt, pepper and herbs for 24 hours. Strain the broth, mix w/ 2lbs. browned ground beef, add frozen vegetaables and a few diced potatoes and onions and herbs, bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Serve w/ Paul's cornbread (above) and Voila!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                  RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Thu, 12/2/04 10:05 AM (permalink)
                  Interesting how many make their vegetable soup with beef bones and meat! I make mine with....vegetables!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                    RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Thu, 12/2/04 12:57 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by kland01s

Interesting how many make their vegetable soup with beef bones and meat! I make mine with....vegetables!

Because it tastes better!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Vegetable Soup Recipes Thu, 12/2/04 1:49 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by kland01s

Read Oneiron339's post more carefully! I beleive he did say "Veg/Beef Soup" in the description... Either way works for me though!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com