Vegetarian Chili??

Author
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
2004/10/10 09:49:13 (permalink)

Vegetarian Chili??

Anyone have a good recipe for Vegetarian Chili?? I have several coming for big chili party who are vegetarian and would like to make a batch for them. Any ideas? I know this may not even be chili to some of you--but still--I gotta feed these guys too!!

13 Replies Related Threads

Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/10/10 10:24:50 (permalink)
    Hi....this isn't necessarily a recipe per se, but I've made it many times by simply making chili without meat but adding pearl barley or chopped mushrooms, either of which gives the texture of meat and each of which is quite tasty. Of course, you could always make chili-mac by just the basic meatless chili and adding macaroni. Mashing some of the beans will serve as a thickener also.

I always used lots of ground cumin in addition to chili powder (homemade is best) and a bit of garlic.

Have fun.

Donna
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/10/10 11:29:18 (permalink)
    You can also use either kasha(buckwheat groats), usually found in the Jewish section of a grocery, or a medium bulghur wheat. Before adding the kasha, cook it separately first. To do this take a cup of Kasha and add a beaten egg to it,stirring and coating the grain well. Add the kasha/egg mix to a saute' pan and saute with butter and minced onion until it takes on a very divine "roasted" scent and onions are transparent.Add three cups of vegetable broth, or vegetable broth with a bit of Kitchen Bouquet or Vegemite or similar to create a somewhat beefy taste. Cook until all liquid is absorbed and dump into your chili. The kasha mimics the consistency of ground beef. For the bulgur, just add a cup or two. (I prefer the kasha)Also, while you have the kasha on hand, try making some kasha vareshnikes(kasha and egg bow ties noodles. Talk about the best of comfort foods!
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/10/10 11:50:20 (permalink)
    With my son being a vegetarian, I have tried numerous alternatives for veggie chili -- none to really great result. Face it, it's the meat that makes it. Still, I have found a satisfying alternative. Take a package of fake ground meat (we prefer Yve's, which also makes a decent fake Canadian bacon), and cook it up with your usual chili ingredients (onions, garlic, spices, tomato -- but no beans) in a fair amount of oil. You will need the extra oil to brown because, obviously, no fat will be rendered. Cook until most of the liquid evaporates. Then serve in warm taco shells with fixin's of choice. Trust me, the taco crunch adds the right touch, and carnivores are pleasantly surprised by the combination.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/10/10 15:44:19 (permalink)
    We serve chili at our Superbowl parties and having never found a really good veggie chili, this is what I served to the vegetarian guests last year, They all raved about them.

BLACK BEAN BURRITOS

NGREDIENTS:

12 small flour tortillas
    1/3 cup veg oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 large red bell pepper, chopped
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 small can green chiles, minced
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
    Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Place onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapenos in skillet, cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour beans into skillet, cook 10 minutes stirring.
    Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to skillet with salt. Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir cilantro into mixture.
    Spoon mixture evenly down center of warmed tortilla and roll tortillas up. Serve immediately.
    Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven heated to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat for 15 minutes or until heated through.

I made the filling ahead and kept it warm in a crockpot and heated the tortillas in the micro, as needed, instead of the oven.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/10/11 00:12:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the imput. I find it really interesting that we tend to make veggie meals that mock the meat texture and flavor.
    I appreciate the idea of added spice and especially the kasha. I've been trying to add kasha to my own diet. Thanks,red. I like the idea of crunch as well so I will add some taco chips. My neighbor has a surplus of red peppers and the ends of a good tomato crop. We'll add some mushrooms and kasha. Add some beans and find out if these folks like pasta (Cinci style) Also--thanks for the black bean buritto recipe. I'm always on the lookout for good veggie recipes. More of my friends and family (me too) are meatless more of the time.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/10/11 01:43:32 (permalink)
    I think you should try a Chile Verde, served over rice or new potatoes.
    A tomatillo/pepper stew would set things right. Use the pulp of as many different kinds of fresh chiles as you care to add to two or three pounds of roasted tomatillos. Add salt, pepper, garlic, onions, a squirt of honey, juice of lemon or lime, some cumin, oregano and a crushed clove.(optional) It has a mixture of textures and as much hot as you choose to add.
    Thicken to desired consistency.
    Pine nuts or hazelnuts can be crushed to add as a topping.
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/11/25 14:48:54 (permalink)
    I modified a recipe I saw on food network, which uses onions, green,red and yellow peppers and two medium sized summer squash, all of the above chopped coarsely, fried in a little oil til brown, then added to the tomato base, along with the usual chilis,kidney beans, great northern beans and black beans,and the seasonings you would normally use. Swear you won't miss the meat. I think it's the squash that adds the proper texture. It is really good. Freezes well too so I make a huge batch.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/12/01 02:47:30 (permalink)
    Vegetarian Chili Mac:

1 tall can Kidney beans, drained

1 small can pinto beans, drained (14-oz)

1 small can black beans, drained (14-oz)

1 small can corn, drained (8-oz)

1 can peeled, chopped tomatoes (14-oz)

1 small can tomato sauce (8-oz)

1 envelope Schilling chili mix

Cayenne pepper, to taste

Gebhardt's chili powder, to taste

1 green pepper, coarsely chopped

1 red pepper, coarsely chopped

1 onion, coarsely chopped

2 cloves garlic

2 cups dry macaroni

Place all of the ingredients up to and including Gebhardt's chili powder in a large pot. Simmer, stirring occasionally. You may need to add some water until it is "chili consistency".

Set a pot of water on the stove to boil.

Put about 1 Tbsp cooking oil in a frying pan. Saute vegetables until the onion is transluscent, then add them to the chili pot.

When water is boiling, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, then stir into chili.

You can freestyle this recipe, adding chnks of zucchini, or any of the previously recommended ingredients.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/12/04 10:56:55 (permalink)
    Have you tried soy protein?
    Not to sound like a card-carrying hippie, but I sneak them in when I can. It's sold by the bin at health food stores.
    They have a ground-meat consistency, and just soak up the flavors.
    You have to add a little extra oil, though and put in some more beans.
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/12/04 12:58:26 (permalink)
    I make my veggie chili using the same thing that Grampy suggested-
    yves veggie "ground beef". I cook it in the skillet first and throw in a packet of Mcormicks chili seasoning directly on the "meat". I add a little diced up jalapeno in the skillet also. You do have to add a lot of oil when browning the "meat" But Really, It isn't all that bad! Non-vegetarians are always surprised!
    64Colors
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/12/07 07:52:50 (permalink)
    Here's my Vegan Chili recipe:

1 28oz can crushed or diced tomatoes (or equivalent fresh diced).

2 15oz cans of beans, I prefer one kidney and one of blank beans

1 15oz can tomato sauce

1 6oz can of tomato paste

1 can corn

3 large bell peppers diced (red and/or green)

2 medium to large onions diced

2 dried guajillo peppers, finely chopped or ran through a food processor (can soak in hot water until soft, but not necessary)

1 or more dried chipotle peppers for extra spice to taste (directions same as above)

2 to 3 tbl crushed/minced garlic

2 tsp of fresh basil - dried basil if you have to

2 tsp of chili powder

1/2 cup of dark red wine (I prefer Shiraz or Cabernet)

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

2 tsp cumin

2 tbl extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 cup raw whole cashews

1 to 2 cups vegetable broth, or water and veggie stock

1 tsp sweetener

2 tbl sesame seeds (optional)

salt to taste

Combine everything into a crock pot for a minimum of 6 hours.. preferably even more OR simmer in a large pot for a long time...

I make it a little different each time.. so by all means change around what you want, but the wine, cashews, and using real peppers really make it a unique chili. I have many carnivorous friends that think it's the best chili they've had.

Serve with a little bit of sour cream or grated monterey jack cheese and a glass of the left over wine.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/12/07 10:13:48 (permalink)
    Chili mac reminds me of something very quick and easy I like to do... I take a box of Annie's Macaroni and Cheese (healthier than Kraft), prepare it according to the directions, then throw in a half cup of salsa, a can of pinto or black beans, and a can of diced tomatoes. Good for kids.
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Vegetarian Chili?? 2004/12/12 23:06:49 (permalink)
    Take you basic chili recipe, and replace the meat with lentils.

It's awesome!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1