Vermont Diners

Author
AmeriKenArtist
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2003/10/01 09:01:46 (permalink)

Vermont Diners

I am looking for a diner in Vermont that is "picturesque." First of all, I love diners. Breakfast has always been my favorite meal, anytime of the day or night! Secondly, I am in the process of creating historic landmark artprints of New England. And I am attempting to have my artwork represent all six states. Ideally, I would like to find a diner next to a covered bridge in Vermont. Thanks for any help. I'm ready for breakfast! Ken

17 Replies Related Threads

johnnym
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 10:55:53 (permalink)
    A diner NEXT to a covered bridge might be tough. There are two diners in downtown Burlington that have a 'classic' look, Henry's and the Oasis (think that's the name). The Oasis especially. But the surroundings aren't exactly pastoral.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 14:59:02 (permalink)
    The Chelsea Royal on Route 9 west in Brattleboro is your traditional converted railroad car plus expansion, so it's got the classic diner look. But it's in the middle of a large field.

You're just not going to find a diner next to a covered bridge, because covered bridges tnd to be out in more rural areas that lack much in the way of development.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 16:33:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

The Chelsea Royal on Route 9 west in Brattleboro is your traditional converted railroad car plus expansion, so it's got the classic diner look. But it's in the middle of a large field.

You're just not going to find a diner next to a covered bridge, because covered bridges tnd to be out in more rural areas that lack much in the way of development.

Not only that, but because of the environmental movement, you can no longer construct edifices in proximity to a 300 foot buffer off of a 100 year floodplain! I happen to be privy to this because I work with the environmental department at a Naval facility. So, sad to say, while seemingly picturesque, the idea of having a diner near a covered bridge might only be found in fantasy land!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 16:51:06 (permalink)
    I think that Ken is looking for a diner close enuogh to a bridge so he can sit in it and eat breakfast while he sketches the bridge he can see from the window. Nice job if you can get it!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 17:39:34 (permalink)
    AmeriKenartist - love the name!

Speaking of Vermont, the song "Moonlight in Vermont" is one of my favorites. Would love to visit there.
    AmeriKenArtist
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 18:29:48 (permalink)
    tamandmik, indeed it sounds like I'd have to put the two together. But I cannot do that. I'll have to consider two individual works. My previous work is at http://www.kennethconner.com if anyone is interested. I will do the classic diner first! Of course I'll have to visit often- around breakfast-time!
    lvw
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 18:32:09 (permalink)
    I recommend the Blue Benn Diner in Bennington Vermont. Be warned: Cash only. I've seen many an unprepared diner having to run to an ATM machine!

Chelsea Royal in Brattleboro is also good.
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 19:17:13 (permalink)
    No covered bridges nearby, but the Parkway Diner on Williston Rd in South Burlington (near the Burlington Int' Airport) is a classic diner in every sense of the word. It is surrounded by "suburban sprawl", but come on, use a little artistic license!

wally
    AmeriKenArtist
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 20:07:12 (permalink)
    You are right Wally. The background isn't that important. Guess I was wishing when I mentioned Diner&CoveredBridge together! Aha! tiki has the idea!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 23:01:24 (permalink)
    AmeriKenArtist---check out the website--nice stuff--LOVRD the Union Oyster House--brought back memories of my youth Maybe when you get some of those diners and bridges done you could post them and let us know?=--would love to see next series.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/01 23:13:42 (permalink)
    As you travel on Rt. 9 West out of downtown Brattleboro, you will pass a covered bridge that is on your left as you travel on 9 towards the Chelsea Royale.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/02 08:20:14 (permalink)
    The Miss Bellows Falls in Bellows Falls is a highly original Worcester (as is the Chelsea Royal) near the river. I think you could find a diner next to a covered bridge in the little town of "Photoshop." The Blue Benn is highly original on the inside but this Silk City is a little altered on the outside. However, the food is great.
    AmeriKenArtist
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/07 00:08:15 (permalink)
    I just got back from Vermont. And I was in New Hampshire the weekend before. I'll definitely let you know when I get some new artwork finished. Unfortunately I take a long time to do quality work (up to three months per drawing).
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/11 14:05:24 (permalink)
    Yeah, make sure yet let us know! I loved the Union Oyster House one, too.

and in the meantime, let us know where you went, what you ate, etc. I haven't lived in VT since 1996 -- maybe you can help stem my homesickness.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/11 22:21:21 (permalink)
    Sounds like I'm a bit late into the topic, but some 10 years ago I went to Waitsfield, in the Green Mountains/Mad River region. Entry to town is through a covered bridge - where I ended up eating was a pizza place done up in a funky '50s roadside kind of way...that can be (and has been) done in an awful, kitschy way, but this place came off very likeable.
    In retrospect not the wisest thing to do, but I filled up on a salad bar w/ stuff like goat cheese & roasted red peppers and then rented a bicycle to tour the mountainous roads. Painful but enjoyable.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/11 22:50:57 (permalink)
    One of my all time favorite dinners was at an historic road side place called The Dog Team Tavern which was outside of Burlington. This place was not cheap but you certainly got a lot for your money.The meal started with a "spinning wheel of relishes" followed by a gigantic salad,followed by the mid-meal break of a dinner plate sized hot sticky roll (!!!) followed by a plate piled high with enough food for 4. Who knew about dessert. I love Vermont. They totally understand dairy--cheese--no skim milk for them. As for diners,I love Henry's.
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Vermont Diners 2003/10/12 15:00:20 (permalink)
    Went to your website! Love your stuff! Have a suggestion for a resource for you! No eating places though...sorry! My husband and I agree though that you won't find a diner and a covered bridge near eachother (any where in the world! LOL!!)! We've been to many diners around the country! Most of them were built in Worcester MA, the area we've had a house in for over 29 years! Anyway...the book you need to get is (and perhaps you have it!)"American Diner Then and Now" a very informative book! Have been to Glochester and Rockport many times! Love your renderings! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1