Victory Pig

Author
shmoetheho
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/12/18 23:14:16 (permalink)

Victory Pig

Hi,

Up till about 10 years ago I lived in Clarks Summit, PA which was somewhere in the vicinity of Wilkes Barre/The Victory Pig.

I happen to be coming to visit and staying in Wilkes Barre. Is the Victory Pig still open? Could someone possibly provide an address and it's wacky hours?

I also recall a place that was very similar to the pig called pizza loven or oven loven something along those lines.

Any help or other recommendations are appreciated, fellow pizza aficionados!

24 Replies Related Threads

shmoetheho
    Junior Burger
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/09 13:32:33 (permalink)
    found it... no thanks to you guys.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/09 15:38:30 (permalink)
    Yere not welcome, I guess... sorry to not be at your beck and call, hanging on the edge of the forum, checking every 15 minutes to see if I can do someone else's Google work for them.

Tom
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/09 16:30:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shmoetheho

Great! So why don't you tell us all about it? Is it Roadfood worthy?
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/09 16:47:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shmoetheho

Well...good for you. Now go there to eat and come back and tell us about it. I've heard of it, but, never gotten up to that area. Also, you may want to reconsider post's like the one quoted above. It doesn't look too good for your 2nd post on roadfood.com

Dan
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/09 17:21:43 (permalink)
    Victory Pig, Pizza L'oven, Pizza Perfect are all examples of a regional style that uses a crust fried in oil. It's close to Sicilian, but the crust isn't as bready, it's crisp (obviously). The rectangular pies are made in a pan with a thin layer of oil in the bottom and cooked in a moderate oven. Sauce is sweet and VERY oniony (you have to ask for no onions), and not very savory (no oregano). It's best when it's fresh from the oven; it's commonly sold as slices that are reheated. Cheese is mild and creamy, and it is probably Monterey jack, at least on the white double crust pizza.

I didn't used to like the style but I've come around. I prefer both Pizza Perfect and Pizza L'oven to Victory Pig. VP is open weird hours, like Wednesday/Friday/Saturday evenings, and operates like an old carhop joint. Pizza Perfect in Trucksville (up Rt 309 toward Shavertown) is one of those cool places that accepts CASH ONLY. Pizza L'oven has two locations, Dallas PA and Hanover Twp PA; The Dallas location is paired with an ice cream custard stand and is carryout/picnic table only, and only open from May 1st through Oct 15th. I've never eaten at the Hanover Twp location.

I seriously don't know what this guy's problem is, typing "victory pig pizza" into Google yields approx 296,000 results. I hate it when people expect others to do their research for them, then bitch them out when they get ignored.

EDIT: Google, page 3...

http://www.wyomingave.com/victorypig/index.html

I thought folks here might like the sign:

Victory Pig Pizza
    World Famous Pizza
    Open since 1942
    905 Wyoming Avenue
    Wyoming, PA 18644
    Hours:
    Wed. Fri., Sat.
    4:30 pm to 11 pm
    (570) 693-9963

Should we call them for you, too? Maybe place your order?

Tom
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6449
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/09 19:14:47 (permalink)

I would like..............
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/11 16:25:40 (permalink)
    I'll take a Margherita 'za please.
    With a side of sauce.
    Thank you.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/01/11 16:27:42 (permalink)
    ROFL..
    Just saw this!
    Check out the email sent to the people that did the imitation crust.
    LMAO here!
    http://www.k0lee.com/vp.htm
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/02/12 18:59:09 (permalink)
    I just checked the link to Victory pig. OK, I give up, what are "wimpies". I'd guess some kind of hamburger, but I see hamburgers and cheesebugers also listed. ---Ken
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/02/13 01:11:24 (permalink)
    What do ya expect from someone with a screen name of Shmoe the Ho? Politeness and love? I'm betting we never hear from this person again.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/02/13 14:00:57 (permalink)
    Wimpies are sloppy joes, or I think some folks call them loosemeat sandwiches; loose ground beef in sauce.

Tom
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/02/14 17:39:53 (permalink)
    <<Wimpies are sloppy joes, or I think some folks call them loosemeat sandwiches; loose ground beef in sauce.>>

Thanks! Now I don't have to drive all the way to Iowa for a loosemeat sandwhich.
    big g in joisey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/02/16 00:50:32 (permalink)
    How does their pizza stack up to the Old Forge and Scranton style square pies,it seems almost the same with the onion flavor and crisp crust,I know some of the pizzerias in that part of Pa also like to use a little riccota in the cheese mix as well.
    babstar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Victory Pig 2007/03/21 12:04:10 (permalink)

I grew up in NE PA and love this type of pizza- and have nvere found anything close to the style anywhere but NEPA.

A family friend (Tommy's Pizza on Market Street in Kingston) had a pizza place and I know they used a mozzarella blend for the cheese topping. I love the sauce usually found on "fried pizza"; more sweet chunkt pieces of tomato with onion and a light spices versus the traditional pizza sauce.
    Has anyone been able to recreate at home.?Even though it is" fried" it is cooked in a pizza oven just lots of oil in pan. Would love to try at home.
    Fortunately, I still own a home on the area and bring back slices to freeze when I get the chance. Pizza L'oven current fav over VP just because of the VP quirks.

As much as I couldn't wait to move away from NEPA, lots of great foods particular to the area. this type of pizza, "BBQ sandwiches" which doesn't even come close to traditional barbequed food knoiw to most of the world. I also love that only in this area is a green pepper called a "mango"! Imagine seeing sausage with onions and mangoes on a menu. Come to think of it , even sausage and ppeppers is different-no red sauce; just onions and "magoes" cooked down with seasonings and a little oil.
    Also high on the list is Abe's or "Jigsy's" hot dogs on Barney Street- chili isn't really chili in Wilkes-Barre - especially on a hot dog. But the absolute best suace for a hot dog no beans just spicy meat and tomato taste. UMMM I am getting hungry may have to head home for theweekend and pick up some food!!!
    shmoetheho
    Junior Burger
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/15 23:46:30 (permalink)
    Wrong -- you heard from me again, albeit much later.

I wasn't really trying to be mean when I said that, it's just I was kind of trying to find the answer before I was back in the area (at that point it would've been new years).

I don't really think a post letting you guys know I found it despite the lack of response was very mean. I guess it was taken the wrong way.

Victory Pig FTW.

Anyone heard that they ship their pizza out overnight upon request?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/16 00:09:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

What do ya expect from someone with a screen name of Shmoe the Ho? Politeness and love? I'm betting we never hear from this person again.

I'll make that my Christmas wish.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/16 00:13:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by babstar

I grew up in NE PA and love this type of pizza- and have nvere found anything close to the style anywhere but NEPA.

A family friend (Tommy's Pizza on Market Street in Kingston) had a pizza place and I know they used a mozzarella blend for the cheese topping. I love the sauce usually found on "fried pizza"; more sweet chunkt pieces of tomato with onion and a light spices versus the traditional pizza sauce.
    Has anyone been able to recreate at home.?Even though it is" fried" it is cooked in a pizza oven just lots of oil in pan. Would love to try at home.
    Fortunately, I still own a home on the area and bring back slices to freeze when I get the chance. Pizza L'oven current fav over VP just because of the VP quirks.

As much as I couldn't wait to move away from NEPA, lots of great foods particular to the area. this type of pizza, "BBQ sandwiches" which doesn't even come close to traditional barbequed food knoiw to most of the world. I also love that only in this area is a green pepper called a "mango"! Imagine seeing sausage with onions and mangoes on a menu. Come to think of it , even sausage and ppeppers is different-no red sauce; just onions and "magoes" cooked down with seasonings and a little oil.
    Also high on the list is Abe's or "Jigsy's" hot dogs on Barney Street- chili isn't really chili in Wilkes-Barre - especially on a hot dog. But the absolute best suace for a hot dog no beans just spicy meat and tomato taste. UMMM I am getting hungry may have to head home for theweekend and pick up some food!!!

Now, THIS is a perfect example of a "first post". Welcome aboard, "babstar".
    Ev1L
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/21 17:26:01 (permalink)
    MikeS.

Correct, there can be only 1 village idiot and that is me

Is the pizza any good at this place? Coming from CT, I prolly know the answer.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/21 17:29:56 (permalink)
    I think he will be back. In exactly two years just like the last time...Russ
    mbaltusk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/30 23:14:44 (permalink)
    I live around the corner from this place.  I will put a trip report together once the holidays are over.  Since I never did a trip report but would love to start, does anyone have any good tips for taking pics inside establishments?  I am talking in respect to dealing with management if they ask questions and the like.
    post edited by mbaltusk - 2008/12/30 23:20:29
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/31 08:50:20 (permalink)
    mbaltusk, no one ever says anything. Usually they are flattered. Once I got asked if I wrote restaurant reviews, I answered no, I just like to take food pictures.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    RE: Victory Pig 2008/12/31 10:21:20 (permalink)
    mbaltusk

I live around the corner from this place.  I will put a trip report together once the holidays are over.  Since I never did a trip report but would love to start, does anyone have any good tips for taking pics inside establishments?  I am talking in respect to dealing with management if they ask questions and the like.

Never assume at this place.  That's all I'm gonna say.

steeler
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Victory Pig 2009/01/06 12:28:39 (permalink)

It's been a long time since I've lived there, but I just found a Victory Pig fan site on Facebook! My family used to do a Victory Pig-like homemade pizza, and I think it was based on their recipe. The pans were coated in peanut oil, the shells were from some place in Exeter right off the 8th St. Bridge, the sauce was Contidina plain tomato sauce with extra sugar, a little oregano and tons of slivered white onions, and I think the cheese was a blend of mozzerella and white American (think SURPLUS--not there's a Wyoming Valley staple from the 70's!) For the person wondering the difference between this and Old Forge pizza---VP is essentially fried, there are lots of onions, and the sauce is sweet.
    shmoetheho
    Junior Burger
    RE: Victory Pig 2011/06/18 19:59:27 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

At this point I'd go back and ask myself what 'me of the past' was thinking. You seem like good people. My buddy was telling someone about the Victory Pig (someone I'd taken there on the visit this thread originated from) and googled it and discovered this thread as the top result on Google. 

Honestly I'd forgotten it existed, but that aside I was just in NePA for some sad family business and picking up 3 boxes of Victory Pig Frozen (the restaurant was unfortunately not open yet on the way home) made my ride home much better.

No hard feelings over here guys.. I like food too! :)

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1