Vietnamese

Author
rextaboogy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2005/05/18 11:45:36 (permalink)

Vietnamese

Just wanted to tell everyone about my favorite restaurant in Duluth MN where I now live. The place is called taste of Saigon located in Canal Park.

I am quite the snob when it comes to ethnic food, but this place makes me cry tears of joy each time I dine there. Haven't had food this good since I left Tulsa OK.

I recommend going on a Monday as they serve an egg drop soup that is quite good. They add aspargus to theirs. And they also have a red curry sauce that is to die for. I often order the Chef's Favorite Cashew Beef because of the red curry sauce. I ask them to add pineapple (the owner thinks everything should have pineapple and added it once by mistake), to make it as hot/spicy as the stoutest member of their family can stand to eat it, and for a ramiken of fish sauce. Don't get me wrong it's great plain, but I am there for an experience and I love it when they say "You eat just like Asian people do."

Thank god for this place as the local cuisine is just one step above boiled meat.

12 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/18 12:41:37 (permalink)
    Don't get me wrong either. I agree with you that ethnic places like this can make going out to eat in a small town (not that Duluth probably qualifies as that) worthwhile. In my wintering spot in Southern AZ, there is a Vietnamese place also that leavens the mix of standard American and Mexican which are otherwise pretty much the choices. But I don't think either egg drop soup or red curry are particularly Vietnamese. The "signature" Vietnamese soup is pho, typically a noodle soup in rich beef broth. Red curry makes me think of Thai food which I love (and red chicken curry is one of my favorite choices) or possibly even Burmese. I have never experienced Thai red curry with pineapple in it nor do I understand how pineapple would make it hotter (sweeter, yes, but not hotter). Normally, the heat comes from small red chilis that are used in almost everything in Thailand. My Mom in Florida has a Thai neighbor who grows these chilis in her backyard so she has a steady supply since she uses them at every meal (and I feel extremely fortunate that she has several times given me a supply). I'm going to make a wild guess that the owner of your restaurant is ethnic Chinese. There have always been lots of ethnic Chinese people living in all southeast Asian countries and after the Communist regime took over in South Vietnam many of them fled and came to the US. Quite a few of those opened restaurants for which I think we should all be grateful. I say he may be ethnic Chinese (but from Vietnam) because the things he cooks seem to me to be an amalgam of Asian foods which is typical of Asian restaurants in smaller communities that don't have distinct Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and other Asian places.

Someday you should visit a city with a large Asian population, maybe Chicago or even Minneapolis, and explore the differences among the various Asian cuisines. They are really quite distinct in their pure form, but I love nearly all of them.
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/18 13:09:57 (permalink)
    That's a nice place. I haven't been up there in a while, but there was a Tex Mex place in the same place that I used to love-Little Angie's Cantina. Great fresh salsa and one of the finest chili relleno I've eaten anywhere.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/18 13:11:44 (permalink)
    Rextaboogy, In Minneapolis there are numerous Southeast Asian restaurants, but particularly good are Pho Tau Bay, Quang and Jasmine Deli, all on Eat Street (Nicolett), and Mai Village on University in St. Paul. All four places have some of the same items on their Vietnamese menus, but all four do their own versions of pho. For beef pho I like Pho Tau Bay, for Pho Gai I like Quang. For bun, rice noodle salads Jasmine Deli is superior. Mai Village is more upscale and has a very elorborate menu that is great for dining with groups. You should drive on down to MPLS for a long weekend and a whole lot of good food.
    Some of the best ethnic food I've had has been in the Twin Cities.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/20 16:21:01 (permalink)
    Just had my first Vietnamese sandwich. YUM, YUM.

Everything about was just right. The roll was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The meat, roast pork, had just the right amount of fat to bring out the flavor and to keep it from being dry. It had just the right amount of other fixings to make it a meal without turning it into a salad. And just a bit of heat due to jalapeños.

I’d been by these places now and then. Even gotten in line a few times, but gave up when I saw people in front of me ordering 5 to 10 at a time. This time I went early.

And only $2.00.

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/20 23:54:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by plb

Everything about was just right. The roll was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The meat, roast pork, had just the right amount of fat to bring out the flavor and to keep it from being dry. It had just the right amount of other fixings to make it a meal without turning it into a salad. And just a bit of heat due to jalapeños.

I’d been by these places now and then. Even gotten in line a few times, but gave up when I saw people in front of me ordering 5 to 10 at a time. This time I went early.

And only $2.00.

Where was it? If you are in SF, I like the place on Larkin directly across the street from the Burton Federal Bldg. One block away (Larkin between Turk and Eddy), Siagon Sandwiches is my second choice but also very good.
    plb
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/21 00:07:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by plb

Where was it? If you are in SF, I like the place on Larkin directly across the street from the Burton Federal Bldg. One block away (Larkin between Turk and Eddy), Siagon Sandwiches is my second choice but also very good.

Good guess. It was Saigon Sandwiches. What's the name of your favorite? I probably walked by it. I’ll try it next time (real soon).
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/21 12:04:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by plb

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by plb

Good guess. It was Saigon Sandwiches. What's the name of your favorite? I probably walked by it. I’ll try it next time (real soon).

One block closer to Market St. The name is unmemorable for me, at least. It's in mid block--only place selling banh mi on that block that I know of. It's a typical very small place with a counter, room for maybe 4 or 5 people to line up (more than that and they'll be out the door) and a small place for 2 or 3 people to sit and eat by the window to the left of the doorway.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/21 12:09:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by plb

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Originally posted by plb

One block closer to Market St. The name is unmemorable for me, at least. It's in mid block--only place selling banh mi on that block that I know of. It's a typical very small place with a counter, room for maybe 4 or 5 people to line up (more than that and they'll be out the door) and a small place for 2 or 3 people to sit and eat by the window to the left of the doorway.

PS--It's got nothing to do with Vietnamese but if you are looking for another interesting place for lunch in that hood, consider Gyro King on Grove right across from the new Main Library. They have not just gyros but great Turkish pastries and other Turkish food--all family cooking.
    plb
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/21 13:37:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by plb

quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Originally posted by plb

PS--It's got nothing to do with Vietnamese but if you are looking for another interesting place for lunch in that hood, consider Gyro King on Grove right across from the new Main Library. They have not just gyros but great Turkish pastries and other Turkish food--all family cooking.

Thanks, I'll try it. I'm rarely in that hood (work in the financial dist., live in the burbs) but I have been to King Gyro after seeing it one of your earlier posts. Also recently followed your rec for the Thai place (that is around the corner from the fast food Indian place) somewhere around the convention center, at least I think it was your rec.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/21 14:06:51 (permalink)
    Got some of my garden in today. Vietnamese corriander, Thai basil, Thai chilis, cilantro, lemon grass, among others. Ginger, garlic and such left to the market.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/21 15:53:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by plb

I'm rarely in that hood (work in the financial dist., live in the burbs)

Ah, then maybe you have an opinion on the eternal question: "Is Lee's Roadfood?"
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Vietnamese 2005/05/21 23:13:30 (permalink)
    Exzcellent Viet place in Knoxville is T. Ho's on Merchant's Blvd, just off I-75.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1