Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi")

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Richard Brooks Alba
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/10/14 12:10:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Big decision with them is----jalapeno or no jalapeno. They are in abundance here in the LA area---I can't go more than a week without getting one. prices vary, but I have yet to pay more than $2.50. BBQ pork is the best, but the chicken and pork meatloaf is worth trying. I't a great sandwich!

I can't exactly say that I've had them all over the place - I'm fairly parochial about Latin & Pacific Rim cuisines - but I've never even seen a banh mi with jalapeno around these parts. The only chiles I've found locally in these delightful sandwiches have been serranos. The same with other dishes. About the only time I see jalapenos in restaurants around here is in 'escabeche' [that is, 'pickling hot stuff'] with onions & carrots at local taquerias. Oh - and as 'chipotles' [smoked jalapenos], too.
Buen provecho,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. I generally like my serranos as thin slices, floating in my bowl of jook or pho; a sandwich I'll spice up with a little Sriracha sauce....
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4009
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/10/14 15:14:32 (permalink)
They very well could be serranos------the only time I ever see them in the banh mi is when I've bitten halfway thru one!
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/12/05 21:48:48 (permalink)
San Jose, CA has some excellent Vietnamese subs (I never knew their Vietnamese name!) and we have been eating them for years. There is a very large population of Americans of Vietnamese descent, as many of boat people settled in the area - so much so that city services are offered in Vietnamese, alongside Spanish too. There are many great places in the burbs of San Jose, that we never tried, but our favorite place was a little hole at Santa Clara and 4th, near the Albertson's grocery store. Wish I could remember what it was called, but heck, if I couldn't remember what the Vietnamese name was for the sandwich .....

Love the hot peppers
capnhank
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/12/11 18:13:45 (permalink)
You must be thinking of Cali Sandwiches on 7th St, right across from Albertsons. There's also a pho shop in the same shopping center, which might make banh mi, but Cali is far superior. A tiny hole in the wall, but great eats. Unfortunately, they burned down along with the old Seven Courses of Beef restaurant on the corner last month. I'm hoping for a grand reopening soon. Until then, it's Thu Duc on 13th or Lee's @ Jackson and McKee. Yum. Now I'm getting hungry.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/12/11 19:45:31 (permalink)
Oh yeah! We have a wealth of Vietnamese restaurants here in Atlanta; I most frequently get to the Pho Bac on Buford Highway. When I get the sandwich (about $2!) I go for the grilled pork. They also have cold cuts that are kind of puzzling.

Generally I get the vermicelli dishes with the pork or grilled shrimp - the julienned raw veg at the botom of the pile area a nice touch. Summers I go with the cold rice paper rolls and an avocado shake, yum.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/12/12 21:19:17 (permalink)
Cali Sandwiches is the one. They burned down!??!! How sad
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13494
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/12/12 21:37:10 (permalink)
Ain't got them in Knoxville. wish we did

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
capnhank
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/12/13 03:51:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

I drive by it almost daily (I work at SJSU) and it looks like they're rebuilding. The fire started at the Asian Garden (a grease fire, believe it or not " />) and half the block went up.
On the bright side, there's always Tofoo Com Chay just down the street (at 9th). No meat, just TVP and tofu, but you'd never know. Their "BBQ pork" is better than the real stuff at Dakao or most of the other local shops. I still miss Cali, though. You can't beat a $1.50 sandwich!
chinesegirl
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2003/12/15 03:30:37 (permalink)
I am a big fan of Banh Mi, too. I used to live in DC where the nearby VA has a large Vietnamese community. You can easy find one in the Vietnamese shopping center in Falls Church. While you are there, try the spicy beef stew serve with french bread and the Green papaya salad w/shrimp and pork. Now in Pittsburgh, I only know the little stand out side of My Ngoc that sells this refreshing Vietnamese sandwich.
Chef Susan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/01/06 16:16:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Big decision with them is----jalapeno or no jalapeno. They are in abundance here in the LA area---I can't go more than a week without getting one. prices vary, but I have yet to pay more than $2.50. BBQ pork is the best, but the chicken and pork meatloaf is worth trying. I't a great sandwich!

Where do you get them in LA???
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/01/06 16:27:06 (permalink)
Anyone know where to get good ones in Gaithersburg/Rockville/Wheaton MD??
nanster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/01/26 16:10:04 (permalink)
My New Year's resolution: At least one bahn mi per week. I love the chicken with peppers.

You can't beat the $2.00 price tag
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/01/26 18:42:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rhodes

Rhodes. Not sure what's available in your immediate area, but I recommend you drive over to the Eden Center on Rte. 7 in Falls Church, which is the Vietnamese shopping center alluded to by chinesegirl in her earlier post. At last count, the center has 10 bakeries that sell fresh banh mi. My favorite is Song Que, which has an excellent pedigree by way of its affiliation with the most successful restaurant in the shopping center. But it's easy enough to sample the goods from a few different places and choose your own favorite.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/01/27 21:14:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

quote:

Rhodes. Not sure what's available in your immediate area, but I recommend you drive over to the Eden Center on Rte. 7 in Falls Church, which is the Vietnamese shopping center alluded to by chinesegirl in her earlier post. At last count, the center has 10 bakeries that sell fresh banh mi. My favorite is Song Que, which has an excellent pedigree by way of its affiliation with the most successful restaurant in the shopping center. But it's easy enough to sample the goods from a few different places and choose your own favorite.

Sounds good - thanks! I think I'm gonna make my way over there soon.
Alright! - I just noticed I'm a Cheeseburger - kewl!!! Now if I could just be a banh mi....
chinesegirl
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/01/29 20:15:46 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

quote:

Sounds good - thanks! I think I'm gonna make my way over there soon.
Alright! - I just noticed I'm a Cheeseburger - kewl!!! Now if I could just be a banh mi....

Congrats! Eden center is THE place to sample banh mi... I like the steam chicken ones. You can buy the pickled carrot and daikon to make your own banh mi at home.
EmilysOven
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/02/10 00:25:25 (permalink)
I never knew the actual name of these sandwhiches, there's my new fact for the day. I used to get them often in Houston though, near down town there's a sizable Vietnamese community with pho and sandwhich shops on every corner. The bbq pork ones are my favorite. Seems like the $2 price tag is universal.

Anyone know of a good place in Vancouver? There's lots of Vietnamese (and really any other Asian cuisine I could desire) here, but I still love recommendations :)

Emily
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/02/10 05:40:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by capnhank

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by marberthenad

I drive by it almost daily (I work at SJSU) and it looks like they're rebuilding. The fire started at the Asian Garden (a grease fire, believe it or not " />) and half the block went up.
On the bright side, there's always Tofoo Com Chay just down the street (at 9th). No meat, just TVP and tofu, but you'd never know. Their "BBQ pork" is better than the real stuff at Dakao or most of the other local shops. I still miss Cali, though. You can't beat a $1.50 sandwich!

This is good news. Don't live in SJ anymore (in fact I used to live in Naglee Park and would walk through SJSU campus everyday on my way to the office -- beautiful campus you have there!)

Never tried Tofoo Com Chay, but went to that vegetarian buddhist place near 12th street, which was OK, but a little too much vegetarian dishes masquerading as meat dishes.

Sure miss the weather, although I guess SJ is now in the throes of "winter."
jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/02/16 14:08:12 (permalink)

Here is another link that gives a description of those tasty Vietnamese subs, Banh Mi.

Try this link, and scroll down to the second picture:

www.detnews.com/2000/food/1005/sexy/sexy.htm

That public television special, Sandwiches You Will Like, featured the Banh Mi in San Jose's Huong Lan supermarket and deli. Check out their website for other links,

www.wqed.org/tv/natl/sandwiches/websites.shtml

My favorite Banh Mi is the grilled pork. Yummy!!!
stormycat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/05/18 13:51:31 (permalink)
I am looking for one in Chicago...any suggestions? I am thinking that there has got to be a place that serves these in Uptown.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/05/18 14:55:08 (permalink)
best banh mi I know of in Boston are at Sugar Bowl, the Vietnamese stall in the Super 88 food court at Packard's Corner (the intersection of Brighton Ave and Comm Ave, for those less familiar with Allston). For the timid, they have a lot of versions that have much less scary meats than you'll find in a lot of places.
phlegmon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/07/05 16:06:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chinesegirl

I am a big fan of Banh Mi, too. I used to live in DC where the nearby VA has a large Vietnamese community. You can easy find one in the Vietnamese shopping center in Falls Church. While you are there, try the spicy beef stew serve with french bread and the Green papaya salad w/shrimp and pork. Now in Pittsburgh, I only know the little stand out side of My Ngoc that sells this refreshing Vietnamese sandwich.

I've just recently moved to Pittsburgh from San Jose, CA and am looking for good Vietnamese food. Any suggestions?

The best places to get these sandwiches in San Jose are the Thanh Huong and Huong Lan shops. My favorites are barbequed pork, grilled chicken and shredded chicken. The shredded chicken may be a little dry but I like it.

Lee's Sandwiches has been expanding like crazy in CA but I don't like their sandwiches at all. They bake their own bread and it's not very good. Their meats are terrible. I think they've altered the taste to suit the taste buds of Americans.

It's not difficult to make these sandwiches. Carrots and daikon can be julienned and soaked in vinegar overnight. Add cilantro, sliced chile peppers, and your choice of meat. Mayo if you prefer. Add some soy sauce (Maggi brand) for flavoring. I guess the hard part is seasoning and cooking the meats.
jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2004/07/13 15:39:38 (permalink)

For Banh Mi sandwiches in Pittsburgh, I only know of a sidewalk vendor, Lucy, who has been selling them in the Strip District for many years. She is located on Penn Avenue, by 22nd Street. She is there 7 days a week, arriving at 7am to start setting up and is there the entire day. In fact, Lucy keeps longer hours on Fridays and Saturdays, working into the evening. Look for her umbrella and grill-you can't miss her.

I used to live in Arlington, VA and frequented the Eden Center on a weekly basis. The Banh Mi in Pittsburgh are a little different, but they still are tasty! Hope this helps.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/07/26 17:47:04 (permalink)
I second M&M on Banh Mi So 1 in St. Louis. Outstanding sandwich and the French baguette is wonderous.
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/26 14:09:29 (permalink)
I was browsing older threads and found this one and am just dying for one now! I lived in Vienna,VA for a few years as a kid, and my best friend's mother used to make us banh mi sandwiches for snacks after school, though I would never have come up with the name.

I wonder if anyone could help me identify exactly *what* we were eating - having moved out of the area before I was an adult, and into areas where Thai food was still extremely rare, it's still something of a mystery to me. Her sandwiches were always made with this meat paste stuff - it looked a lot like tofu would, if it were meat, cut into a thick julienne. She had tons of this in her freezer, and would thaw it as needed. She made two versions, one spicy, one not - and I learned quickly that in their house, they were serious about the "spicy" version. I love hot/spicy foods, and this was almost too much for me to take, so she'd use part spicy, part regular for me.

When I read that pate is a frequent addition, it occurred to me that it might have been a kind of pate, but definitely not a creamy one.
Gary Soup
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/27 23:37:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by txtwister

I wonder if anyone could help me identify exactly *what* we were eating... When I read that pate is a frequent addition, it occurred to me that it might have been a kind of pate, but definitely not a creamy one.

"Pate" is exactly what you were given. I'm no authority on Bahn Mi, but I suspect pate is the basic ingredient of the native version, and the more identifiable pork, beef and even chicken cuts are made more prominent for Western tastes in the U.S.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/27 23:58:14 (permalink)
They can make that pork as prominent as they want at Wrap Delight ( http://www.sfsurvey.com/restaurant_details.asp?ID_restaurant=1161 ) on Larkin St., my favorite banh mi spot in SF, 'cause that's what I always get. They do have pate, though, as well as "meatball" and other goodies. My second choice, but a big local favorite, is Saigon Sandwiches in the next block of Larkin St. ( http://www.sfsurvey.com/restaurant_details.asp?n=restaurants&Submit.y=12&rest=Saigon&Submit.x=27&ID_restaurant=525 )
Gary Soup
Junior Burger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/28 02:39:35 (permalink)
Wraps Delight does seem to have sharper flavors, and that "special sauce" (eat your heart out, McDonald's). There's a new one in the immediate area called Baguette Express that has generated some positive buzz too, but I haven't tried it.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/28 03:11:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Soup

Wraps Delight does seem to have sharper flavors, and that "special sauce" (eat your heart out, McDonald's). There's a new one in the immediate area called Baguette Express that has generated some positive buzz too, but I haven't tried it.

Me either--I'm suspicious of the name (sounds too "western") but I suppose the only reason I never had the same reaction to Wrap Delight was that I had eaten there for a year or two before I noticed the name. Rumor has it that the owners/staff at both Baguette Express and Wrap Delight are formerly of Saigon Sandwiches.

By the way, as an aside, I wonder if you (Gary) have tried the newish Chinese place on the same block as Wrap Delight and, if so, what you think. I'll tell you I personally haven't been able to get beyond the potstickers in sampling their menu. I love potstickers and I find theirs excellent (wrappers aren't too thick, stuffing is unusually light and tasty).
Gary Soup
Junior Burger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/29 00:11:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Soup

Me either--I'm suspicious of the name (sounds too "western") but I suppose the only reason I never had the same reaction to Wrap Delight was that I had eaten there for a year or two before I noticed the name. Rumor has it that the owners/staff at both Baguette Express and Wrap Delight are formerly of Saigon Sandwiches.

By the way, as an aside, I wonder if you (Gary) have tried the newish Chinese place on the same block as Wrap Delight and, if so, what you think. I'll tell you I personally haven't been able to get beyond the potstickers in sampling their menu. I love potstickers and I find theirs excellent (wrappers aren't too thick, stuffing is unusually light and tasty).
Gary Soup
Junior Burger
RE: Vietnamese subs ("Banh Mi") 2005/08/29 00:17:23 (permalink)
Sorry, my reply got mangled by the system (maybe I'm pushing the wrong button). Basically, I said that I hadn't tried the Chinese place because my office is no longer in the Civic Center area.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1