Vinegar Sauce

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13495
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/23 15:32:25 (permalink)
Mellowroast, I have never ever been a fan of Carolina vinegar sauce but I have toadmit that yours sound good to me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/25 08:05:16 (permalink)
Sundancer, I have friends who don't care for vinegar sauces, so I understand  where you're coming from on that.  It's fascinating how many different styles of barbecue sauces there are, and I was really surprised when I first encountered both white and vinegar sauces.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2012/08/25 08:24:38
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4088
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/25 08:47:32 (permalink)
MellowRoast

shortchef

Scott's sauce (find it on the Internet) contains only vinegar and spices. It is good as is, but I add some bacon grease and heat it and then apply it to pulled pork. The sauce is cheap, too, even by the case. We have been eating this for years, ever since we discovered it in a Food Lion in NC.

Yes, I'm a fan of Scott's, also, and it's excellent.  Vinegar sauces rock.  I've never heard of the bacon grease idea, but it sounds great.  Thanks for the tip.  

To quote Meg Ryan: YES!  YES!  YES!!!

www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com

Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/25 09:57:12 (permalink)
Let me throw out my idea about Carolina vinegar sauces and how they work (or don't) in other states.

Eastern North Carolina bbq is whole hog pork, while the Lexington style uses whole pork shoulders.  The vinegar pepper
style sauce is strong..it's the perfect compliment to cut through all the luscious rendered pork fat you get from whole hog cooking.

Back over in the piedmont, where pork shoulders have more than enough fat to be succulent, the meat is leaner, and doesn't provide enough fat to contrast the sharp vinegar pepper sauce of the east....so you'll find a bit of tomato and often sugar to present a nice balance.

Past the Carolinas, bbq doesn't always mean pork.  Even in
the Carolinas, when ribs are cooked separately, we're not brushing a the thin vinegar pepper sauce on them and watching it run off.  Our rib sauces are much more like the bbq sauce you find in Memphis.

Once you start adding beef brisket, and other cuts of meat into the definition of bbq, it's easier to understand why different bbq sauces evolved for different regions.

All this just to make sure you don't ruin your meal of "bbq"
by pouring a sharp, spicy vinegar sauce over your hot dogs or brisket!   
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/25 11:15:58 (permalink)
actually, a vinegary sauce on brisket is pretty good stuff.
MellowRoast
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/25 12:16:58 (permalink)
Captain Morgan, it sure is good to see you here again.  I'm not sure if I've tried it on brisket, but I've used vinegar sauces on pork ribs, pulled pork, and pulled chicken with wonderful results.  Coincidentally, just yesterday, I fried up some sliced hot dogs & sausages that were slathered with it, served them on buns, and got lots of compliments.  (Of  course, some friends think I should be institutionalized.)
post edited by MellowRoast - 2012/08/25 16:15:29
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 408
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/25 12:31:36 (permalink)
Captain Morgan

Let me throw out my idea about Carolina vinegar sauces and how they work (or don't) in other states.

Eastern North Carolina bbq is whole hog pork, while the Lexington style uses whole pork shoulders.  The vinegar pepper
style sauce is strong..it's the perfect compliment to cut through all the luscious rendered pork fat you get from whole hog cooking.

Back over in the piedmont, where pork shoulders have more than enough fat to be succulent, the meat is leaner, and doesn't provide enough fat to contrast the sharp vinegar pepper sauce of the east....so you'll find a bit of tomato and often sugar to present a nice balance.

Past the Carolinas, bbq doesn't always mean pork.  Even in
the Carolinas, when ribs are cooked separately, we're not brushing a the thin vinegar pepper sauce on them and watching it run off.  Our rib sauces are much more like the bbq sauce you find in Memphis.

Once you start adding beef brisket, and other cuts of meat into the definition of bbq, it's easier to understand why different bbq sauces evolved for different regions.

All this just to make sure you don't ruin your meal of "bbq"
by pouring a sharp, spicy vinegar sauce over your hot dogs or brisket!   

You are correct. When I started competing on the bbq circuit, and starting studying the art, I was amazed at the regional varieties of sauce. Here in the Atlanta area, the sauce is a mix of tomato slightly sweet, to quite spicy, to more vinegary. Go down to Columbus way, and they have mustard based sauce but it is not like SC mustard sauce, it's thinner, and usually quite spicy.
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/27 12:37:18 (permalink)
MellowRoast

Captain Morgan, it sure is good to see you here again.  I'm not sure if I've tried it on brisket, but I've used vinegar sauces on pork ribs, pulled pork, and pulled chicken with wonderful results.  Coincidentally, just yesterday, I fried up some sliced hot dogs & sausages that were slathered with it, served them on buns, and got lots of compliments.  (Of  course, some friends think I should be institutionalized.)

can't say I've tried it on hot dogs, lol, but I can put it on just about anything.  I just worry it's an acquired taste that some folks may find almost shocking, if it's a true eastern NC sauce....Scott's is the perfect example that folks can order...I  tell you what, if someone grabs that bottle for the first time and takes a swig, they are in for a surprise!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8359
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/28 06:48:19 (permalink)
Thanks for the recipe, Mellow.Sounds like a winner!
MellowRoast
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/28 09:19:42 (permalink)
Captain Morgan:  You're exactly right.  I sent some Scott's to 2 friends in Atlanta and Chicago and they both hated it!   Interestingly, a wonderful regional drive-thru chain in Middle TN and North AL, Whitt's Barbecue, serves only 2 sauces with their ribs, pork, chicken and turkey: mild vinegar and hot vinegar.  By the way, I hope you're still rockin' and rollin' over there in Myrtle Beach.

Ann Peeples:  Captain Morgan is right that it can be an acquired taste, but I sure loved it from the start.  Hope everything is going great up your way.

MellowRoast
RE: Vinegar Sauce 2012/08/28 09:19:45 (permalink)

post edited by MellowRoast - 2012/08/28 17:38:34
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1