The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Virginia-coastal area

familydok

• Total Posts: 231
Virginia-coastal area Sun, 07/13/03 9:42 AM (permalink)
We are spending a week in the Williamsburg, Bush Gardens area in September. Any suggestions of places within an hour or two? We will be touring the area and like to try new places.

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
    RE: Virginia-coastal area Sun, 07/13/03 6:45 PM (permalink)
    We continue to enjoy the following in the Williamsburg area:
    (1) Pierce's Pitt BBQ for a pulled pork platter;
    (2) Guiseppi's Italian Cafe on Richmond Road--a local's hangout with nice pasta and a great sausage-lentil soup;
    (3) The Surrey House across the James River in Surrey for Va ham and fried chicken;
    (4) Berret's Restaurant and Taphouse Grill in Merchant's Square for seafood and microbrews;
    (5) One of the Colonial Taverns in the Williamsburg restored area;
    (6) The College Deli across from Wm & Mary for a *sailor sandwich."
    (knockwurst, pastrami and swiss), or other sandwiches, greek dishes and pizza;
    We visited all of these on our vacation in May--liked them all-- might consider a spluge at The Dining Room at Ford's Colony or the Regency Room at the Williamsburg Inn next trip. Our recent splurge was Trellis, which we now believe is living on past laurels.

familydok

RE: Virginia-coastal area Mon, 07/14/03 6:54 AM (permalink)
      Thanks a bunch! I ate at the Trellis several yrs. ago-I'll skip it this time. A friend has an English Tearoom there, so We'll try it also. I haven't been in years and my man has never been-your info. will help.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: Virginia-coastal area Mon, 07/14/03 8:13 AM (permalink)
        A few notes from a Virginian:

(1)Pierce's BBQ (follow the signs from the "Lightfoot, Virginia" exit off og I-64) is definitely a family-friendly stop to make. Specializes in NC-style BBQ using the Boston butt cut only. Lots of outdoor tables and they just, also, started serving breakfast.

(2)The College Delly across from William & Mary (as was previously recommended) is also a good, sandwich stop also with outdoor seating.

(3)God forbid that any type of even regional chain should be recommeneded on this forum but Williamsburg also has one of the Virginia-based Red, Hot & Blue restaurants (also kid friendly) with great BBQ plus more selections. (This is the joint where Lee Atwater -- advisor to the first President George Bush -- was an early backer.)

(4)Lastly, if you're travelling to Williamsburg from I-95 and coming from the north, a great place to eat just one-mile off of the Interstate -- and a place that has somehow escaped the Sterns' books -- is The Smokey Pig off of the Ashland, Virginia exit located about 15 miles before reaching Richmond (west off of exit then south on Rt. 1, restaurant will be on your right) which always has cross-section of customers ranging from blue collar diners to nearby Randolph Macon College professors and has consistently been voted the best BBQ in Richmond.

Enjoy and thanks for the spent tourist dollars!

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
          RE: Virginia-coastal area Mon, 07/14/03 10:51 AM (permalink)
          Actually, Smokey Pig was reviewed by the Sterns in Eat Your Way Across the USA.

A couple other recommendations for Williamsburg. Old Chickahominy House for ham biscuits and buttermilk pie and the Greenleaf (sp?) Cafe for a very broad selection of microbrews.
          quote:
          Originally posted by I95

(4)Lastly, if you're travelling to Williamsburg from I-95 and coming from the north, a great place to eat just one-mile off of the Interstate -- and a place that has somehow escaped the Sterns' books -- is The Smokey Pig

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
            RE: Virginia-coastal area Mon, 07/14/03 2:48 PM (permalink)
            Whoops!! Didn't mean to slight the Sterns (whose published works are more important than the owner's manuals in my motor vehicles) re. Smokey Pig. Glad the "Pig" is in their gastronomical view shed. It really is a great family-friendly stop outside Richmond offering easy on/off access from I-95. Thanks for the correction!

familydok

RE: Virginia-coastal area Wed, 07/16/03 9:30 AM (permalink)
              Thanks so much-can't wait to go and eat!!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                RE: Virginia-coastal area Thu, 07/17/03 11:36 PM (permalink)
                If you get over to Norfolk, stop for lunch or a snack at Doumars BBQ. (reviewed on this site). Was theretwice last week during a 2 day visit. NC style BBQ with slaw, good cheeseburger. Dine in or CURB SERVICE, just turn on your lights. Fresh squeezed limeade, and you cannot leave without a scoop or two of very rich ice cream served in a just baked in front of your eyes on a 100 year old waffle iron, waffle cone with the name Doumars baked into the cone. Delicious.
                Located just north of downtown at Monticello (off Granby St) and 21st ST.

unclefudd

• Total Posts: 9
                  RE: Virginia-coastal area Sat, 09/13/03 7:28 PM (permalink)
                  Not exactly a roadfood place, but I have loved Nick's Seafood Pavilion in Yorktown, VA (right under the bridge). Excellent seafood. The place has sort of a Greek influence, although the interior decor seems like sort of a cross between a Howard Johnson's and a tacky art Museum.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com