Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 08:12:49 (permalink)
I think it is good that they opened and i hope they stay open. The place was clean when i was there and i think the more hot dog places, the better. Regardless of price, i have had plenty of dogs that tasted a lot worse. I like having alot of options when i am out on the road and want to have a dog...or two!!!
ShellysDawgHouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 09:28:13 (permalink)
I like that you can get different types of dogs. I very rarely eat dirty water dogs if i can get a grilled hebrew national. I really wanted to try the brat as i posted and i was glad i did. (something different) i like an assortment of toppings myself but as i have lived and learned that doesn't go that well. the only thing i find people will try is when i make hot mango relish or jalepeno relish things like that, but not all the rest of the things. I even took bbq beans off my toppings list. Very rarely does anyone ask for it. I like to offer different things but as i said, rarely does it go that well except for the few things i mentioned. Even the grilled dogs i really don't sell often i actually end up eating them and i gotta tell ya, too many more of them and i won't fit in that truck!!!!
They are just sooooo good. I hope they make it. Time will tell. Price might be there problem.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 13:36:27 (permalink)
How are they grilling their natural casing dogs? All of the branches of this chain that have their menus posted on the corporate web site list a natural casing frank. The menu implies they will grill or steam for you. Both the corporate web site and the Asbury Park Press article inclide a photo of a roller grill. Are we sure they do not use flat grills? Maybe they only use the roller grill photo because it "looks better" than a picture of a flat grill.

If that Nathan's franchise in the food court at Manhattan Mall down on Herald Square can use a flat grill, why can't this pricy FF outlet?
ShellysDawgHouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 22:29:30 (permalink)
I only noticed a rolling one. But that reallys doesn't mean anything i was too busy trying to figure out what to have.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/30 09:31:18 (permalink)
John Fox, I wonder if you've gotten to New England Hotdog yet....I'd value your opinion before I take my family there....They seem so overpriced for what you get....no Shickhaus or Thumman's Natural casing...and oh those rollers! Before I drive out to Freehold,I'll go to the boardwalk at Pt. Pleasant or even Boardwalk Hotdog here in Brick...made the right way...on a grill, with a quality dog and a great bun...don't need tons of overpriced toppings...to me it is all about the taste of the dog!
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/30 09:54:06 (permalink)
leethebard,

No, I haven't yet gotten to the New England Hot Dog Co. I was waiting until they got the Maple Leaf brand dog, one I haven't had. I'll call to see if they've gotten it. I'm sure they have it by now. I'll go with an open mind, but I'm not expecting anything great. I agree, it's all about the taste of the dog; I'm not big on toppings. I also believe preparation and temperature of the dog are important. As is a natural casing. Boars Head all beef is a fine dog, but it's not the best it can be if it's skinless, prepared on a roller grill, and not served hot enough. But I will get down there soon.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/30 10:38:47 (permalink)
Thanks, John...I can't wait to hear your report.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/30 11:11:53 (permalink)
I hear you, John......as now I realize why my hot dog was'nt so HOT... it was that roller grill, huh?
(and I DO like a HOT hot dog)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2009/01/20 10:49:28 (permalink)
Has anyone been to one of these lately?  I just read an announcement that some franchisee has/had plans to open 15 of them in Miami-Dade county (which I think would be pretty bold).  The New England Hot Dog Company web site indicates that at least one will be going in about two exits up the Turnpike from me (about ten minutes).

Has the roller grill usage been confirmed?  Do they do that everywhere, or is it an option?  That's not my favorite hot dog cooking method.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2009/01/20 11:27:49 (permalink)
I just looked at their web site. It says, "HAVE IT GRILLED OR STEAMED ON YOUR CHOICE OF A GRILLED OR STEAMED ROLL." The banner on the first page of the site shows the dogs on a roller grill. So, I would say that's how they do it- roller grill. With the large variety of products they offer, I suspect that's the only way they could manage it.--- Or NOT. I guess if they had a flat top, they could just throw some of every product on there, keep them warm, and then as ordewred, kick them over to a hotter side of the flatop. Who knows until we see one in operation.
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/01/21 19:56:15
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2009/01/20 16:00:41 (permalink)
I've gone twice and don't love it there. I think there are so many hot joints that are so much better in NJ although I can't speak for hot dogs in FL. I've felt that their vast amount of hot dog types and toppings takes away from them. They are trying to please everybody (as all corporate chains try to do) and I don't think they do any of them exceptionally well. For the one in NJ I thought the New England theme was a bit out of place I can only imagine what it'll be like in Miami.

Dave
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2009/01/21 05:12:21 (permalink)
DPuro329

I've gone twice and don't love it there. I think there are so many hot joints that are so much better in NJ although I can't speak for hot dogs in FL. I've felt that their vast amount of hot dog types and toppings takes away from them. They are trying to please everybody (as all corporate chains try to do) and I don't think they do any of them exceptionally well. For the one in NJ I thought the New England theme was a bit out of place I can only imagine what it'll be like in Miami.

Dave

I hear what you are saying about NJ, but in this county it's not so.  One year ago, there were nine places specializing in hot dogs.  As of today, there are five, and one of those is in a mall food court.  If NEHC wants to open here, I'm all for more choices, I guess.

Anyway, I drove by yesterday, and they are a LONG way from opening - the new-construction strip mall is not even closed-in yet.

For anyone who cares, it is in Richmond Heights one block north of Coral Reef Drive on 117th Ave, behind the Shell station on the right.  Perhaps not the best nighttime location.
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2009/01/21 17:37:10 (permalink)
I was talking to Mike from New England Hot Dog Company and mentioned the grill and if he had a regular grill. He said not at this time but had one ordered and it should arrive tomorrow and be working within a day or so.

I also asked about the Maple Leaf Hot Dogs and he said he don't have them and is using Boars Head instead.
post edited by John Sagi - 2009/01/21 17:40:09
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2009/01/21 17:48:54 (permalink)
Would that be their beef and pork or all beef? The beef and pork dog from Boars Head is nothing special but the all beef is excellent. I think here they might serve both. From what I remember reading the all beef offering is skinless and prepared on a roller grill. In my opinion you might as well go to a movie theatre.

I have yet to visit this place. I was going to go for the purpose of trying a Maple Leaf brand frank which they were supposed to get early last year. I do like to go to a place and sample the dogs for myself like I tell everyone else to do. But from what I've read here and heard about this place, I don't have high hopes.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10411
RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2011/06/25 03:37:16 (permalink)
They are looking to expand the New England Hot Dog brand in the following areas: Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey and Connecticut. Wanta buy a Franchise? They're currently trying to sell 218 of them on the east coast.
From their CareerBuilder Ad:
Requirements
To be considered for a New England Hot Dog franchise, you should have the following attributes and financial requirements:
 Financial
$75,000 minimum liquid assets available
Outside income or source of personal funds for personal living expenses during 1st 12 months of operation
Operational
Ability and desire to be involved in the business
Strong community oriented individual – willing and able to get out in community andbusiness/lunch market and drive awareness
Passionate about product and segment
Can follow the NE Hot Dog operating system
Ability to manage a team of people and lead by example 
Available by state:
Massachusetts (60)
New Jersey (43)
New Hampshire (24)
Maine (22)
Rhode Island (20)
Connecticut (19)
Vermont (12)
Pennsylvania (11)