Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2008/02/19 22:58:34 (permalink)

Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ

On Feb. 18th I went to this new joint on Rt. 9 . It had been "coming soon" for months. Well, it finally came!! It is the only NJ location of a New England chain.
www.nehotdog.com

I first ordered the 1/4 pound all beef dog. I was told it was a Boars Head.

I loved the grilled "dirty" onions, and I loved the Ipswich ale mustard. (But there are enough toppings available to satisfy just about anyone! )
I had asked a few detailed questions about his hot dogs before ordering, so he knew I was a serious hot dog gal. Paul , the owner, was extremely personable, and professional. He said he was pleasantly surprised at just how serious people are about their hot dogs around here. I told him I even go on NJ hot dog tours...
with THE John Fox

I felt like a hot dog queen when Paul suddenly appeared at my table and sat down to ask me "Well, did we satisfy you today?".
I explained that I loved the onions and mustard, but left most of the hot dog cause it was'nt well done , (like I had requested)and I did'nt want to bother him again. (cause he had been so darn nice, already) Cause I know that since it was so big, it's harder to get it well done inside. He said he'd be glad to cook another one for me and get another chance. This time I told him that the smaller natural casing dog would be great (I really like the smaller dogs , anyway,) even though this one just came in a pork/beef mixture. I normally don't do pork. Paul said this was a Sabrett, one that was not available in the supermarket. It was delicious. I really love their toasted "new england style" rolls.
I noticed that Freihoffers has that style roll in my NJ supermarket.

The exciting news is that any day they are supposed to get their delivery of the Maple Leaf brand hot dogs. I had been hoping they would already have that special brand, but Paul said they were still getting a lot of the kinks out. Like he was happy the registers were finally working properly.

I asked him what time he closed, (as I had read Chowhound.com thread about his business, and apparently so did he)
and he said "7:00, but we are tweaking with that. However, I would never wave anyone away at 7:10"

The New England Hot Dog Company is located in the Burlington Coat Factory shopping center, in Freehold. Phone # 732-409-DOGS
It would make a nice stop on a future NJ hot dog tour...

Boy, I said a mouthful, did'nt I ?!?

44 Replies Related Threads

bob12312357
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/19 23:23:57 (permalink)
    As stated b4. U stay skinny how?lol
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/20 06:14:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info and post, Ellen. Great pictures as usual. I've heard about the New England Hot Dog Company, but haven't made it down there yet. I hope to soon. I hope they do well, but I'm a little skeptical of a place that tries to do too much. Rarely do they do everything well. I did hear that their all beef dogs are Boars Head, which is one of the best all beef dogs you can get. The one in the picture is skinless (I prefer the natural casing) and looks deep fried. Do you know how it was prepared?

I also don't like when the dog isn't prepared to where it's sufficiently hot. I've had this problem before and it definitely takes away from the overall experience. Especially frustrating is when I've brought this to the attention of one of the owners and they deny that my dog wasn't hot enough and try to tell me that I'm the only one who told them this, even when I told them of others who posted the same thing on forums like Roadfood. Regardless, it's irrelevant whether or not others mentioned it; it happenned to be my experience. I hope in your case it was a result of the place being new and working out the kinks rather then having too many things to concentrate on. It's good that you told them about the dog not being prepared to your liking. Hopefully they'll take your criticism seriously and not pooh pooh it like one place did to me. This way when the rest of us go, we'll get our dogs done right.

The smaller Sabrett dog you had was their milder beef and pork dog. This is the same recipe Sabrett dog (though in a different size) that is served at the Windmill, Callahans, and the Hot Grill. I'm looking forward to trying the Maple Leaf hot dogs that I've heard a lot about.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/20 09:02:42 (permalink)
    Hi John,
    Nice hearing back from you! (THE John Fox!)
    Hope you are staying warm enough on your mail runs...

No, I did'nt find out just how those dogs were prepared. (except for knowing the basic choice of having them prepared steamed or grilled) (my bad)

Yes, they are certainly trying hard (too hard?), as I was told that they now even have an Italian hot dog since it's a popular NJ item.

I found that the Boars Head did'nt have as much taste as the Sabrett one...JMO ... (although I've had other Boars Head dogs in the past that I've enjoyed more)

I'm glad to hear that the Windmill upgraded their dogs , and no longer use those Shickhaus franks.
    Actually, I like their charbroiled burgers even better than their hot dogs!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1595
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/20 18:50:40 (permalink)
    Hi Ellen, thanks for the post and great pictures. I'm adding New England Hot Dog to my next planned road trip, probably on a day off in Early March. I plan to be heading down to that general area. Other stops will include Chuck's Wings on Rt33 in Ewing and the newly opened branch of DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies in Robbinsville, also on Rt 33. So this will fit in nicely.

Hope you're doing well, thanks as always for being the "pioneer" for us and being the first to visit so many new places. ---Ken

DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/20 18:54:12 (permalink)
    Hi Ellen,
    Glad to see someone reviewing the NE Hot Dog Co. I've been meaning to eat there, I've just been so busy. I definitely want to get there in the next week or so.

Dave
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/20 19:26:43 (permalink)
    Ellen, your environmental photos are great. I love the way you put them together so that the essense of your experience comes through.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/20 20:02:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Ellen, your environmental photos are great. I love the way you put them together so that the essense of your experience comes through.

thanks so much, Michael, you made my day...
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/20 20:05:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken8038

Other stops will include Chuck's Wings on Rt33 in Ewing

Hope you're doing well, thanks as always for being the "pioneer" for us and being the first to visit so many new places. ---Ken

Hi Ken!
    Chuck's Wings ??!! Now you've got ME excited! I was not familiar with them, but I will definitely have to try the joint, ASAP!

All is good here, just trying to stay warm!!

fondly,
    ellen
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/21 01:46:24 (permalink)
    Nice report there Ellen... That first pic with the grilled Boars Head almost looks like it may have been cooked in a little oil.. Looking darn fine there!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1595
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/21 08:32:40 (permalink)
    <<Chuck's Wings ??!! Now you've got ME excited! I was not familiar with them, but I will definitely have to try the joint, ASAP!>>

I don't know too much about it either except that there was some good buzz about it over on the Chowhound site. There's apparently one in Princeton and one in Ewing or maybe Hamilton (950 Rt 33). I'm heading for the one on Rt 33 becuase if I go to the one in Princeton I will spend 1/2 of the day looking for parking and the other 1/2 of the day at the Princeton Records Exchange looking thru 1000's of $1 LPs, and not have time for all the food stops.

There's not much at all on the web about Chuck's, but I'll report back after I've been there. ---Ken
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/21 08:43:30 (permalink)
    I'm nearby in Brick...and love a great hotdog,so news of this place interested me.....BUT...I'm not a fan of the Sabrett pushcard hotdog...too greasy for me. I like a natural casing,large dog...like my high standard dog served at Boardwalk Hotdogs in Brick...or at many hot dog stands on the Jersey boardwalks....
    I like the selections shown in the photos...but do they have a natural casing dog of a large size??????
    foobuc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/21 22:36:13 (permalink)
    i was there today. i had a big all beef dog with the ipswich ale mustard and a smaller pushcart style pork and beef with frenchs mustard. i had both dogs grilled and both on toasted bread. all the workers were very friendly and they explained they were working out any kinks so they have not advertised yet and also said they had just got the computer/register up and working as stated by Ellen previously. He said some of the info on the NE hot dog website was not updated to what they actually had currently in the freehold location. I had a meeting out in Princeton and had to come from the Asbury Park area so i took route 33 out to the route 9 area and stopped there before hitting my meeting. Even though i was sick earlier in the week w/ a stomach virus i had to stop and try it! By the way, the Capt Morgan that i had at my meeting later in the night did not force up the hot dogs. IThat is a good thing!!! I would def go back to the New England Hot Dog company again!
    John Fox
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/22 20:31:17 (permalink)
    I called yesterday and spoke with Paul, the owner. I wanted some info as to what brands they serve. He stressed that they are in their "soft opening" stage and still trying to work out the kinks. He also mentioned that the smaller Sabrett dog Ellen had was all beef, not beef and pork. In the picture, it looked more like an all beef dog. Sabrett's mixed meat dog is much paler.

I wasn't interested in the poultry or veggie dogs, so I didn't ask about them. They serve an all beef (skinless) Boars Head, a 10 to a lb natural casing all beef Sabrett, a skinless Boars Head beef and pork in a footlong and smaller size, and a Best's Kosher (from Chicago) dog. They are also looking to add Maple Leaf and a Black Angus half pound dog. Paul didn't remember the brand, but said it wasn't Usinger's. He thinks it's from Vermont.

I voiced my concerns about them doing a good job serving so many different kinds of dogs with so many topping combinations. They truly seem intent on being "all things to all people". They even have an Italian Hot Dog. Paul is from New England and isn't really familiar with this style, but knows how the places which specialize in this dog do it. Their version will be a Sabrett beef dog on a New England bun topped with peppers, potatoes, and onions. I also wondered how they can keep so many dogs fresh without having to throw a lot away. I would guess that most customers order one or two different types of dogs.

I went yesterday to a new place that does 4 distinct styles of Jersey dogs. And does them well. I'll post soon on the Jersey hot dog thread. Hope to make it to the New England Hot Dog Company real soon.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/22 20:50:46 (permalink)
    John, just wondering..........When you call a place like this, has your reputation preceeded you?
    John Fox
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/23 06:40:00 (permalink)
    Sometimes the owner or manager has heard of me. Usually I just tell whoever I'm speaking to that I really enjoy hot dogs and that I'm willing to travel for a good one and proceed to ask if they can give me some information.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/23 09:40:22 (permalink)
    Go down the road from this place, a few miles, and go to the windmill,They specialize in ONE dog..a large natural casing made just for them!!! or Go to Max's in Long Branch...super! or go to Boardwalk hot dogs in Brick for natural casing Schikhaus,,,,,all superior t Sabrett. If that owner wants a real hot dog sold in Jersey...he should start with a great Natural casing dog like the ones available all over Jersey...or he won't compete...even with the "gimmick" of all those toppings. Great toppings won't hide an average dog!
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/23 10:01:16 (permalink)
    I'm curious about the new england style bun. A few years back I was looking for a regular source in Philadelphia. Couldn't be found. Is he importing them or is a bakery making them just for him?
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/23 15:47:21 (permalink)
    On the New England buns, both Freihofer and Pepperidge Farm make them. I believe distribution in the Freehold area is from depots supplied by Connecticut and upstate New York bakeries.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/23 19:04:07 (permalink)
    Wegmans sells a pretty good split top hot dog roll.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/02/23 19:42:21 (permalink)
    Thanks, signman. I forgot that there are a few Wegman's down in New Jersey.
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/15 11:00:45 (permalink)
    I had a chance to eat at New England Hot Dog Co. in Freehold last weekend and was plesantly surprised. I'm of the same opinion as some others who aren't always crazy about places with multiple dogs who try to be everything to everybody. I had 2 dogs, both were the all beef kosher dogs and I had both buns steamed. On a side note I don't love the New England style bun but maybe it's just not what I'm used to. The first dog I had steamed with the Ipswich Ale mustand and relish. It was a very good dog. Perfectly heated, nice taste, and the mustard was nice too. On the second dog I had chili and cole slaw. Very messy but delicious. I like the combination of the two toppings, they balance each other nicely. I'm definately going to have to return again to sample some other dogs and toppings.

Dave
    foobuc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/16 21:06:54 (permalink)
    for me, what makes the NE style bun is when it is toasted slightly. Makes all the difference, imo. I have to get back there but i have been tied up with work and last week i was by there too early(930am) I hope to get there again in April.
    Camping dude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/18 20:00:24 (permalink)
    I stopped by the New England hot dog shop. I tried 2 dogs the P&B grilled, and toasted, and a all beef kosher. The both of them were cool, and not piping hot,

I also ordered fries with chili & cheese, and the fries were soggy, not crisp. To be frank (no pun intended) for almost 10 bucks I'd rather take my chances at KFC or BK and have a dollar menu meal
    ShellysDawgHouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/21 21:11:21 (permalink)
    I went to NE hot dog co. this afternoon and had no intention of going just had some biz down that way and saw it and decided on the way back up to stop and try it. I met Paul and introduced myself as a fellow hot dog person and we talked a bit. I must say this, at first i was overwhelmed by all the choices. (and don't get me wrong, i like choices but i was confused) but i decided on a grilled all beef with slaw and chili. ( which i liked but i would have liked just a bit more kick to the chili. but no biggy.) and the next i tryed the brat w/ipswich (sp)mustard and red pepper relish. I am NOT a expert on brats but i enjoyed it alot. He did tell me it was a boars head product and i liked it. but i am in the process of getting brats from a german butcher to try because i would like to do brats in the summer. so i figure after i try that i will be better to judge, but as i said i enjoyed it. They were very nice and i wish them luck but as another poster mentioned price is high. I too spent about 10.00 for a dog a brat and soda. Glad i went and i would probably go back if i were down there. Obviously, the dawg house was closed today.
    John Fox
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 06:14:34 (permalink)
    http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080320/BUSINESS/803200553/1003

This is a link to an article about the New England Hot Dog Company. As you can see in the picture grilled here means prepared on a roller grill. Not my favorite way to prepare a dog. To me grilling means a real grill or a flat griddle. Roller grills are for movie theatres and 7-11's. You can't grill a natural casing dog on one of these, which is why the NE Hot Dog Company uses skinless.

Shelly,

You mentioned getting brats for the summer. Let me suggest the Union Pork Store on Morris Ave. in Union. They have in my opinion (and a lot of others) the best brats around. I like them better than Usinger's from Milwaukee. Someone I know drives a couple hundred miles roundtrip from Pennsylvania to buy them. Worth checking out.
    ShellysDawgHouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 06:46:32 (permalink)
    John
    Thank you for the info. on the brats. I will look into that. As i said, i am not an expert on brats but would love to try and offer them come the nicier weather. And like anything else i like to try different brands and make my decision from there.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 07:29:43 (permalink)
    I saw those rollers...I agree 100%. For all the hype,this place,although just 20 minutes away from me,isn't worth the trip for me. This place,as I said last month, seems to use the toppings gimmick..and different brands of SKINLESS dogs...but those rollers. Never saw a serious hot dog place use those. And then, as people have reported,is the price! Why pay top dollar for a dog you could get much cheaper in countless other places? Are those toppings going to lure people back????The cost of the hot dog should be in the hot dog!!!Must be great profit in this...how much added expense comes from toppings??? Atmosphere...pictures show none,really.I'll stick to Boardwalk hot dogs in Brick or any Windmill, or if I drive, I'll go to Max's in Long Branch.
    But boy is this place getting publicity..the Business section of the Asbury Park Press ran an article about their opening...go figure!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 07:37:26 (permalink)
    Here is a link to the Asbury Park Press article from thursday's paper. You can notice,they even hype the toppings here. If they'd only sell a great natural casing dog,they might have something for a real dog lover...but I doubt it!!

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008803200553

As Shakespeare said : "Much Ado About Nothing" !!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Visit to New England Hot Dog Company, Freehold, NJ 2008/03/22 07:46:11 (permalink)
    Oops sorry John, While I was ranting and raving, didn't notice you posted the same article...I'd like to enjoy the fun of different dogs and lots of toppings...but I like a good natural casing dog...and yet the prices and lack of those dogs stop me. I'd love to hear from someone out there who'd compare a New England dog with mustard to one at Max's,Boardwalk Hot dog,or even The Windmill down the road a bit from this place...side by side...and really taste the dog!!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1