Visited California couple years back......

Author
Fishbones
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2003/11/23 09:58:49 (permalink)

Visited California couple years back......

Driving down from Canada through Washington, Oregon, then California i came upon a roadside diner on the coast,about 1/2hr into California.

Now being from Canada, the first thing that grasped my attention was the FIVE different colors of sugar. Red, Green, Blue, Pink and Orange. Nicely displayed in a silver holder. Of course, i had to taste each one to see if you funny Americans changed the taste of it too

Each new eating experience was an exciting time, and i wish to Thank you! I never knew what to expect.

4 Replies Related Threads

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Visited California couple years back...... 2003/11/24 03:07:07 (permalink)
    Do you mean the packets or the sugar itself? You know, we Americans like our sugar with colors and our money without!
    Fishbones
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Visited California couple years back...... 2003/11/24 06:28:07 (permalink)
    IT was the actual sugar color, not the packet. It was in nice glass containers, on each table in the restaurant. I wonder how it was dyed?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Visited California couple years back...... 2003/11/24 09:19:41 (permalink)
    Thats odd! THIS American has never seen THAT, and having lived in Northern California--thats weird even for California!Wonder where that was?and what ever reason there is for 5 colors of sugar?
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Visited California couple years back...... 2003/11/24 12:44:04 (permalink)
    Was it regular granulated sugar or was it a coarser or finer grind

Back in the 70s when our first local coffee boutique/roaster opened, House of Coffee Beans, I was very in to gourmet coffees and accessories. One thing I bought there several times was 'coffee sprinkles' (not sure if that was the product name). This was a small bag, about 5oz. of variously colored small sugar crystals, slightly larger than regular granulated. The idea was to add it to hot coffee in place of regular sugar but not stir. The crystals settled to the bottom of the cup and slowly dissolved, so as you drank your coffee, it got progressively sweeter, and the bottom of the cup was like coffee flavored candy.

I don't use sugar in my coffee or tea normally but I kind of liked this. However, one drawback was the top of the coffee became oily from the various colors (dyes?) and was a little unsettling to look at. I haven't had any in years; I decided I didn't need the extra sugar in my diet.

Anyway, the point of all this is they obviously had to dye these various colors separately.

I went googling for 'coffee sprinkles' and came up with a company in WA that makes flavored coffee sprinkles, but that's not what I used to get.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1