Hot!Visiting Main Street Ohio

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4726
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/03/26 02:43:34 (permalink)
Bread pudding pie sounds interesting to me. great report and what a find!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/27 18:49:42 (permalink)
soozycue520

Nancypalooza

Yeah, the jamon iberico did seem . . . huh? . . TJ if you know more about the owner or originator, I'd love to hear more about that place.  And now I want one of those burgers real bad! 

I love those murals Cliff--did you know anything about the artist before you went or you just knew they had art deco stuff?

Nancypalooza~
Terry Carter used to own a bar called "Neon's" for many years in Over-the-Rhine, the area directly north of downtown Cincy. That is where his collection of neon signs grew. He decided to "retire" to travel and fish. After a while, he got bored and decided to go back into the bar business.
Terry's nephew had just graduated culinary school, and he hired him to create a menu. His nephew is the creator of the sauces.
I have been to TTC numerous times, and Terry is usually there, introducing himself, asking what you ordered, and handing out samples of new sauce ideas. One time, it was a tangerine habanero mustard. Very good.
My standard order is a burger with sauteed onion, blue cheese and the burgundy wine, mushroom & truffle sauce. Yummo!!!
As for how the jamon iberico got on the menu ~ Terry brought some back from a trip to (I believe) Spain, and served it at a private cocktail party. Everyone enjoyed it so much, he decided to offer it, for a short time, as an appetizer at TTC. A friend and I went so we could try it during the "limited engagement". It's served with assorted cheeses. It really is fabulous ham, albeit quite expensive. This was quite a long time ago, so obviously, it has done well enough to make it past a limited engagement!! When we were first there to try it, he had the black hoof on display, since this is the way you verify the authenticity of the jambon.
I have a review under hamburgers, I believe, with a picture of Terry.
Found it!! Terry's pic is down a bit, with my update on 10/21/08:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Terry39s-Turf-Club-Cincy-PicsUPDATED-102108-m440425.aspx

Soozycue-
How in the world did I miss this the first time around?  Thanks so much for all the great information.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/27 19:39:03 (permalink)
Since he was in town doing demos for his excellent bbq sauce, BuddyRoadhouse invited up to Cleveland me to meet him at Sokolowski's University InnBuddy surprised me by showing up with a pint of Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip,

which we ate over the trunk of his car.  Man, it doesn't get much better than that on a warm Summer night!  Thanks Buddy!  A prelude to the usual fine meal at Sokolowski's.

Since my girlfriend had housesitting duties and I was on my own for all day Saturday, I got a hotel room for the night, with plans to hit some of the Polish/Hungarian places the Sterns had recently reviewed. 

First up Saturday morning was State Meats

in Parma.  This is first and foremost a butcher shop, but they do have some other foods around for immediate consumption.  I started with the kielbasi sandwich. 

The kielbasi itself is short, squat, with a pleasantly rugged skin and was incredibly juicy.  The bun was perfectly soft and the meat was covered with sauerkraut and brown mustard.  Just a terrific first snack of the day.  While in there, I also asked for a pound of the halushki to go. 

I didn't get a chance to sample this until the next morning.  The highlight of the halushki was the smoked bacon, which turned a good side of comfort food into something truly memorable.

While the older woman (who had a thick Eastern European accent) was getting my haluski, I was scouring the meat case for the smokies that Michael Stern mentions in the review.  Just then, the younger woman gave me a sample of sausage, which she told me was the smokie.  She must have been reading my mind.  I asked for a 1/2 lb. to go. 

This sausage indeed has a smoky flavor and provides some heat.  I really should have gotten several pounds of it, because it is already long gone.  She also gave me a sample of some wonderful ham, but if I didn't leave then, I would have undoubtedly bought the entire store. 

Next stop was just a few doors down the street, Perla Homemade Delights

There was a man in there, who looked just like Carl Reiner, placing his order in Polish.  Because he had several questions, this was taking a while and he eventually turned to me and apologized in English that this was taking so long.  I told him I was enjoying the smells of this wonderful shop too much to be bothered.  Still, that was very nice of him and we chatted for the rest of the time he was in the store.

They did have all kinds of good looking sausages here, too, but I decided to concentrate on the desserts.  I was thrilled to snag two poppyseed streudels.  Growing up, my dad always had these around the house and they have become harder to find nowadays.  Knowing my sister loves them too, one of them went to her.  I also grabbed a large Dobos Torte. 

The only other place I have seen this before is at Cleveland's Balaton and I loved it there.  This is a thin layered spongecake, topped by a hard caramel shell.  This one, I ate!   

They also carry ladylocks,

which is a delicate finger pastry, filled with cream.  You can also find these in Pittsburgh bakeries.  Knowing this was a favorite of my mother's, I took two home with me.

Two more stops to go..... 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/06/27 19:47:55
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 09:40:35 (permalink)
buffetbuster

First up Saturday morning was State Meats in Parma.  This is first and foremost a butcher shop, but they do have some other foods around for immediate consumption.  I started with the kielbasi sandwich. 

The kielbasi itself is short, squat, with a pleasantly rugged skin and was incredibly juicy.  The bun was perfectly soft and the meat was covered with sauerkraut and brown mustard.  Just a terrific first snack of the day.

That looks good!  What cooking method does State Meats use?

Brad
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 09:55:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster
  ladylocks,

which is a delicate finger pastry, filled with cream.  You can also find these in Pittsburgh bakeries. 

Ive always seen them called "cream horns"
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 13:09:05 (permalink)
TJ-
And I was surprised to find them called cream horns elsewhere, because here in Pittsburgh they are ladylocks.

Brad-
Sorry to tell you this, but it was most likely in the microwave.  When I asked for the kielbasi sandwich, she took one from the case and then started preparing it.  With how quickly it was complete, it had to be the microwave.  It was delicious, nonetheless.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 15:07:26 (permalink)
The Little Polish Diner

in Parma opens for lunch at 11:00AM and I arrived just a few minutes later.  This place is indeed tiny, with five small tables and six counter seats.  I sat at the counter and immediately pulled my camera out of my pocket and set it down.  A man noticed the camera and asked what I planned on doing with it.  Uh oh, busted!  I told him I was hoping to take photos of my food.  He asked if I was a foodie, in which I replied, "I don't consider myself one, but others probably think that."  Then I told him I was here because of the review on Roadfood and then he immediately started showing me photos of their food on his laptop, also sitting on the counter.  The entire rest of my visit here, I was engaged in conversation with this man John, who is one of the owners.

My meal started off with a bowl of the homemade chicken noodle soup,

which John told me is started from scratch every morning.  On the thin side, but it still had strong chicken flavor.  They do have daily specials here

and luckily for me, on Saturdays it is chicken paprikash. 

I am used to this dish being over some kind of noodles, but here it is on top of spaetzel dumplings.  Needless to say, this old German isn't about to complain about that!  The spaetzels had just the right consistency, not too hard, not too gummy.  The chicken was incredibly tender and the sauce had a more subtle paprika taste.  Outstanding!  The cucumber salad on the side was heavy on the sour cream and was the perfect side for this dish.   Even the soft whole wheat dinner roll

was a step above the typical.

I couldn't pass up a side order of the potato pancakes. 

As good as they looked, I was out of appetite by the time I ate everything else.  They served as my breakfast the next day and were nice and creamy on the inside.

One of the strange things that happened here is that this is the first time I have ever had the owner of a restaurant photographing MY food.  John is putting photos of their food on his Facebook page and he needed pictures of everything I ordered.  Unfortunately, I snapped this

just a few seconds too late, but here he is camera in hand, having just photographed my chicken paprikash.  Before leaving, I did manage to get a photo of John and fellow owner Sophie together.

If you are ever near Cleveland, this place is well worth the stop.  Right next door to Little Polish Diner is a Burger King, which was busy as always.  I wonder if those people realize that they can get an excellent home cooked meal in an ultra-friendly atmosphere for the same price, right next door.  They don't know what they are missing.  I enjoyed my visit here so much, no doubt this will be in my top 10 at the end of the year.

Little Polish Diner
5772 Ridge Road
Parma, OH
440-842-8212

I had hoped to do some more running around in Cleveland, but a buddy of mine called and had an extra ticket to the sold out Pirates game that night.  So, it was just about time to head home.  The final stop was Gray's Pie Shop,

which has won repeated awards as Cleveland's best pie shop.  They have two different locations and I went to the Fairview Park location.  Unfortunately, it is the other location that sells pies by the slice and has pie milkshakes.  Boooo!!!!!  Still, they did have an impressive roster

of whole pies.  I got an Elvis pie (peanut butter and banana)

to take home.  Maybe the pie got too soft on the two hour drive home, because it was a gooey mess and I only ate two small pieces of it.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/06/28 15:14:43
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3732
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 15:41:22 (permalink)
Stop the freakin' bus!
You DIDN'T get a picture of the guy taking a picture of your food?

Rookie.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 15:45:06 (permalink)
buffetbuster
TJ-
And I was surprised to find them called cream horns elsewhere, because here in Pittsburgh they are ladylocks.

Probably just a regional variation in food

Someone should start a website about such regional variations
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 15:50:26 (permalink)
TTM-
Guilty as charged.  But, I get easily distracted once the food arrives.

TJ-
If only someone would start a website like that.  No doubt it would be a big success!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 17:06:34 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Since he was in town doing demos for his excellent bbq sauce, BuddyRoadhouse invited up to Cleveland me to meet him at Sokolowski's University InnBuddy surprised me by showing up with a pint of Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip,

which we ate over the trunk of his car.  Man, it doesn't get much better than that on a warm Summer night!  Thanks Buddy!  A prelude to the usual fine meal at Sokolowski's.

Finally, a photo that doesn't make me look like the Pillsbury Doughboy.  You must have used the wide angle lens and turned the camera vertically to get that stretched out effect.

We've been visiting Cleveland for close to 16 years and I thought we'd collected a pretty good repertoire of  Roadfood-worthy eating spots in all that time.  You come along, and in one two day visit, find more good eats than we've uncovered in more than a decade and a half!  I feel very insignificant right now.

The good news is, I'll be back in Cleveland in about a month and I can check out some of these places for myself.

The other good news is, you still haven't made it to Mt. Pleasant BBQ, so I'm still one up on you.

Very nice report.  Thank you (sincerely) for finding all these new places I can visit.

Buddy

P.S. I tried to get to Babushka's on Saturday night.  Wisely, I called first and found they were closed by 7:00pm, so it's not likely we would have gotten there in time anyway.  I wound up at Flat Iron Grill for clam chowder and a perch sandwich.  How'd the Bucs do against the BoSox?

B.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2011/06/28 17:09:01
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 18:51:38 (permalink)
Buffetbuster

Little Polish Diner looks very promising. It would be nice to check the place out on my visit to Cleveland over Labor Day Week, however with only enough time for 3 meals, and the other two slots are reserved for a polish boy and Sokolowski's, it's going to be a tough call between Little Polish Diner and Babushka's Kitchen.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 19:17:02 (permalink)
WJ-
While I do like Sokolowski's, especially the excellent pierogies, Little Polish Diner was the much better of the two meals I ate this past weekend.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/06/28 21:52:07 (permalink)
I'm gonna go along with bb on the Sokolowski's/Little Polish Diner discussion-even though I only had dinner at one of the places mentioned.  While there was brilliance in many parts of our Sokolowski's dinner, there were some missteps too.  The breaded pork chop, for instance, was a big disappointment.  Dry and rather bland, I thought.

Now before anyone gets the idea that Sokolowski's is slipping, I think it's more of a situation of knowing what to order and avoiding the rest.  Stick with any of their Polish specialties or any of the various fish entrees they are so well known for, and you'll be very happy.  Our bowl of steamed mussels swimming in garlic broth, for instance, was amazing.  Pierogis were top notch--even the halushki, which I'm generally not a big fan of, was really tasty.

But, I gotta say, the pix of the food at Little Polish Diner look fantastic!  I've already got them down on my list for a future visit to Cleveland.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/01 08:33:54 (permalink)
Buddy-
I sure wish I could take credit for those places visited on Saturday, but the credit goes to the Sterns.  About a year ago, I drove up to Cleveland for the day to eat some Polish and Hungarian food.  The Polish restaurant was mediocre at best and the streudels I picked up and brought home were just plain nasty.  So much for my Roadfood radar!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/19 13:38:19 (permalink)
My girlfriend and I spent the past weekend in the Detroit area.  We stopped at a couple of new to us places in Ohio on the way up and on the way back.

Friday night, our dinner was at Berry's Restaurant

in Norwalk, a short drive off of the Turnpike in north central Ohio.  As you typically see, you have to pass all the fast food and sit down chains near the highway and drive in the pretty downtown area.  The front room has counter seats on the left, with lots of booths in the back.  To the right is another dining room that was much darker than the front room.  Wanting to be able to take food photos, we settled in one of the comfortable leather booths in the well lit front room.

They really have a big menu at Berry's.  I liked the catchy name of rings, sticks and spears for an appetizer. 

They offer a hot ham open face sandwich, covered in gravy, with mashed potatoes on the side.  Don't know if I have ever seen that before.  The specials page

had a lot of attention grabbing things and as soon as I saw the beef stroganoff, I knew that was going to be my dinner.

My meal started off with an excellent version of the french onion soup,

which seemed to have less onion and more cheese, exactly how I like it!  One of Mariton's favorite dishes is liver and onions and even though it was on the menu, she wanted to try something else.  So she asked the waitress what she recommended and of course, the first thing she mentioned was liver and onions.  Still, hearing that this was an excellent part of the country to get lake fish, like perch or walleye, she went with the perch sandwich. 

These three lengths of fish had a coating that was too heavy and seemed overcooked. We have definitely had better.  Luckily, the burgundy beef stroganoff was much better. 

Very large chunks of lean beef, over noodles with a delicious sour cream gravy, plus onions and lots of mushrooms, I was very happy with this dish.

To drink, they do offer old fashioned ice cream sodas, but I was in the mood for a milkshakes and ordered the cherry. 

It could have been thicker, but had plenty of cut up cherry chunks and a strong cherry flavor.  Good shake!  We decided to pass on dessert once we found out the pies were not made in house.

We liked Berry's Restaurant enough to continue to come back someday as there are many other things on the menu we would like to try.  But we liked the restaurant we stopped at on Sunday afternoon coming back from Detroit, even better.

Berry's Restaurant
15 W. Main Street
Norwalk, OH
419-668-2394 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/07/19 13:42:35
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/19 15:51:54 (permalink)
A teaser!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/19 16:13:09 (permalink)
We stopped in Fremont, Ohio to visit the President Hayes Presidential Center.  We were getting hungry and was happy to find Woody's Drive-In

A sign in the front of the building said curb service only on Saturdays and Sundays and considering it was in the mid-90's outside, we were happy to stay in the car.  As soon as we parked, a pleasant young woman named Amber came over to take our order.  When we told her we had never been to Woody's before, she gave us a paper menu to look at and said she would be back.  Despite having a menu in my hand, it was still more fun to look at the giant menu board

in the parking lot.

We decided to just choose several different items and split everything.   Amber took our order and returned about 15 minutes later with our food.  Here is our tray hanging off the window. 

As you can see, the meal started off with two big mugs of frosty root beer.  There are few ways a restaurant can endear itself to me more than with homemade root beer in a frosty mug.  And this is some first-rate root beer.  It seems like I could taste some vanilla and maybe some caramel in the root beer, but I know for sure it was wonderfully creamy and satisfying.  The mug could have been a little more chilled, but that is just quibbling.

The first food I grabbed was the onion chips. 

These are small, cut up bits of onion rings, maybe about a third of a regular size onion ring each.   These are much easier to eat than the often over-sized ring and had a deliciously brittle outside crust.  Ranch dressing came on the side for dipping.

Before ordering the chili dog, I asked Amber if they make their own chili sauce and they do.  She asked if I wanted any onions on it and how could I turn down onions on a chili dog? 

The bun was soft and the chili was a typical Greek sauce, with pebbly meat and a slight hint of heat.  We got the chili dog as part of a basket, which means it came with cole slaw and french fries. 

The fine fresh tasting fries were slightly salted, but the sweet and vinegary cole slaw was a big hit with me.  I only wish it had come in a larger portion. 

Mariton's favorite food was the perch sandwich,

which was two lengths of perfectly cooked, crunchy coated fish, in a long toasted bun.  It does come with tartar sauce, but that was completely unnecessary.

They have a sign on the roof of the building advertising a huge burger called Woody's splitter.  They refer to it as "A Wedge Against Hunger." 

I can spot a challenge when I see one and this is not a burger

for the faint of heart.  That is two quarter pound burgers, plus cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, ketchup AND onion rings.  All the toppings tasted fresh and even though the burgers themselves were well done and a little on the dry side, still provided plenty of beefy flavor.  And the onion rings gave the burger an unusual crunch in the middle.  By no means was this a great burger, but still miles ahead of your typical fast food burger.  Mariton complained a little bit about it being so big, that it was difficult to eat.  Of course, I had to prove that it was possible to get a full bite of it!

As if that wasn't enough food.....   When Amber brought us the tray, I remembered that no corn dog had been ordered.  Mariton had never seen a corn dog before and was curious.  The corn dog

here at Woody's is a classic.  Too many corn dogs taste like the batter at the county fair needs changed.  This was very fresh, with a nice moist interior.  She was a little surprised to find that there was a hot dog on the inside!

Before we left, I took a few more outside photos.  They do have a little shaded dining area with picnic tables,

but we were staying in the air conditioning of the car!  I also liked the happy, dappily dressed hot dog, carrying a mug of root beer.

Woody's is seasonal and in fact closes in mid-August, when their young employees head back to school.  The elderly tour guide at President Hayes house told us that a lot of locals get upset when they close so early each year.  I know many towns across the country have places like Woody's Drive-In, but not many have food as good.

Before we left, Amber told us about a Facebook page her and her twin sister, who are both longtime employees, have for Woody's.

Woody's Drive-In
1630 East State Street
Fremont, OH
419-332-9790
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/07/19 16:23:14
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/19 16:18:46 (permalink)
The silence you hear is me blinking at the size of that hamburger.  Dammit Cliffmond, you've made me hungry again!   Now you should introduce Mariton to the joys of eating a corn dog accompanied only by pancake syrup.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6723
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/19 17:02:44 (permalink)
Ahh, Main Street Ohio.  Love the walleye sandwich at Jolly Rodger in Port Clinton.  The perch sandwich looked also excellent.  Then there is the white bean soup and Coney at Phillips in Columbus.  Good food in Ohio.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/20 07:35:51 (permalink)
Nancy-
Corndog with pancake syrup?  Okay, now I have to find a way to try this!

lleechef-
So glad that you brought up Jolly Roger in Port Clinton.  I did a little research ahead of time and if we didn't stumble upon Woody's Drive-In, we were going to hit Jolly Roger.  Next time we are in the area, that is where we are going!

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/20 08:11:19 (permalink)
Buffetbuster

Quoting  the words of Chi Town Diner
"You've eaten lightly so far"
How did the chili dog compare to the coney dogs of Detroit?

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/20 08:27:47 (permalink)
WJ-
Believe it or not, we ate no coneys on this trip to Detroit.  I had a couple places picked out, but was never able to fit it into the schedule.

The chili dog at Woody's was one of the items I liked least, even though it was a perfectly acceptable chili dog.  Still, no match for a coney at an elite Detroit place like Lafayette.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6723
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2011/07/20 17:02:41 (permalink)
Hey BB, by all means go to Jolly Roger.  We drove 300 miles round trip to eat a walleye and a perch sandwich.  Definitely worth the trip.  Then there was the pie at Henry's on the way back.....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 09:29:36 (permalink)
M and I spent the weekend in Ohio, so I have some places to write about, which will happen tonight.  The highlight was lleechef and Michael Hoffman joining us at Crabill's for some delicious sliders. 

A full report to come.....
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 13:01:18 (permalink)
Finally - a picture of the ancient one
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 13:03:15 (permalink)
TJ-
Actually, there were a couple photos from this year's Nashville Glee Club of Michael.  This is probably just the first photo on Roadfood of him with a lovely lady on each arm!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/09/24 13:11:42
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6340
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 13:09:12 (permalink)
Blew away my image of a man with long wavy white hair and a beard down to his waist.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 14:27:51 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Finally - a picture of the ancient one
TJ, I'm sure there are some others of him around somewhere.  Of course, they'd be daguerrotypes...

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 18:09:03 (permalink)
Good to see you, my friends. No offense, Mr Hoffman.......you ,in my mind, looked so much more, well, Mad! How lovely......love you guys........
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1