Hot!Visiting Main Street Ohio

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 19:19:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster

M and I spent the weekend in Ohio, so I have some places to write about, which will happen tonight.  The highlight was lleechef and Michael Hoffman joining us at Crabill's for some delicious sliders. 

A full report to come.....

Ah! It's the two beauties and the beast
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18448
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 20:25:31 (permalink)
Congratulations. You finally got something right.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/09/24 20:27:53 (permalink)
Ann, I am mad. I'm seething inside because I didn't have room for more than four of Crabill's burgers and buffetrbuster was buying.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/23 11:12:15 (permalink)
We have made a couple of trips to and through Ohio in the past month and tried some really good new places.

In Wooster, just south of Akron, we visited Tulipan Hungarian Pastry and Coffee Shop.  They always have Hungarian Pork Goulash on the menu, so we tried a cup of that and a cup of Cauliflower w/ Chicken and Dumplings. 

Both of the soups had good flavor, but were on the thin side.  We wished they were a little heartier.  The items on the menu that had me excited was a crepes (palacsinta) that came with a chicken paprikash filling and paprikash sauce.  Unfortunately, our visit was late in the day and the young lady who waited on us (the owner's daughter), told us her mother took the last two home as dinner for her husband.  Bad timing!  We will be back if nothing else just for those. 

They had several cases of interesting pastries

I had never seen before and we bought things like ischlers (chocolate dipped sandwich cake with different fillings) and bishop's hat (papsapka), but the item we liked best was the Dobos Torte. 

This multi layered sponge cake was moist and had the hardest layer of caramel top I have ever encountered.  It was excellent and Mariton and I raced to see who could get more!

Tulipan is located in a charming downtown area.  We are looking forward to returning!

Tulipan Hungarian Pastry and Coffee Shop
122 S. Market Street
Wooster, OH
330-264-8092  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5076
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/23 11:18:19 (permalink)
That's too bad that the soups were a little thin, but on the flip side it's still better than more body and less flavor!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/23 13:24:12 (permalink)
In the trip report that began this thread, I mentioned a drive-thru place in Bucyrus that caught my eye.  When I saw that our trip across US Rte. 30 would take us near "the bratwurst capitol of America", I knew a stop in was necessary.  The name of the place is Bratworks

and it is both a beer distributor and a brat purveyor.  Are you sure this isn't Wisconsin?  Anyway, we pulled in and was greeted warmly.  We got one brat, with brown mustard on a rye roll. 

Oh my goodness, was this good!  It was juicy, nicely seasoned and grilled perfectly.  They do make their own brats, though not on the premises.

The Bratworks
574 S. Sandusky Avenue
Bucyrus, OH
419-562-9872

Also in town is Carle's Bratwurst, which I had previously visited and an intriguing place called Gus's Grill & Grog.  I looked at their menu and not only do they have brats, but they also have lake perch and what they call Waldo Bologna.  Has anyone been here before?  I'm thinking there is a good chance Michael Hoffman has eaten here.  Next time in town, this is where I am going. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/10/23 13:26:46
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/23 13:48:26 (permalink)
As we continued across US Rte. 30, when I saw the road signs for Van Wert, near the Indiana border, we got off the highway and headed into town.  That's because Van Wert is the home of a classic Roadfood spot, Balyeat's Coffee Shop.  What makes it such an interesting restaurant starts with the terrific neon sign. 

I have been here three times before, but they were always in the day, so this was the first time I could admire it at night.

Obviously, the chicken is the star of the menu.  But, they no longer fry the chicken, they pan fry it and then bake it.  It gives it a limp skin and juicy inside meat. 

It is different and it is good.  And the mashed potatoes on the side were real mashed potatoes.  Mariton wasn't too interested in eating again, until I pointed out they have chicken livers. 

That's all she needed to here and ate an order all by herself, calling them delicious.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that Balyeat's is well known for their pies, but since it was late, they were already sold out.  Disappointing, but I knew there was going to be plenty of great pie the next day in Indiana.

Balyeat's Coffee Shop
133 E. Main Street
Van Wert, OH
419-238-1580 
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1069
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/23 13:52:37 (permalink)
I'm really enjoying your report.That's funny about your great grandfather maybe being a mechanic for the Red Baron. Never been to the Air Museum in Dayton.It does have a family connection though.My dad was a flight crew chief and mechanic during WW2.The museum has some parts of the Lady Be Good, the famous
376 Th Liberator  bomber. My dad knew the guys who were on it when she disappeared.In fact, I recall him saying he was  supposed to go on her, but there was some sort of change of plan, and he went on another plane.Daddy of course came back, but these guys never did. The museum is also supposed to be haunted.
My mother made cabbage rolls, but never put saurkraut on hers.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/26 08:59:59 (permalink)
Yep, I've eaten at the Grill & Grog. Unfortunately, they don't have any real grog, which is a killer if you really need your hot rum and water.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/26 09:06:20 (permalink)
Michael-
I'm guessing the food at GG&G is nothing special.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8362
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/26 10:25:18 (permalink)
Mariton and I will get along just fine-chicken livers! And those look fantastic!
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2397
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/26 10:50:53 (permalink)
wanderingjew

buffetbuster

M and I spent the weekend in Ohio, so I have some places to write about, which will happen tonight.  The highlight was lleechef and Michael Hoffman joining us at Crabill's for some delicious sliders. 

A full report to come.....

Ah! It's the two beauties and the beast

Pretty book ends, with a old classic in the middle. I'm just happy he didn't have mustard on his sleeve, Great job Lisa, he cleaned up well.......................
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/26 11:01:05 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Michael-
I'm guessing the food at GG&G is nothing special.

Nope. Nothing special. I was there during the Bratwurst Festival one year and of course I had a cheeseburger. " />
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6822
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/10/26 11:06:14 (permalink)
pnwchef
It isn't easy keeping a curmudgeon mustardless!
macaroni
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/11/05 17:52:41 (permalink)
Love traveling and eating vicariously through your trip reports, buffetbuster! Thanks!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2012/11/05 18:48:06 (permalink)
macaroni-
Thanks so much for the kind words and welcome to Roadfood!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/10 21:40:12 (permalink)
Yesterday was spent taking a day trip into Ohio.  I left home at 5:00AM and arrived a little after 8 at Peggy Sue's Steak & Ribs in Walhonding for breakfast.  I wrote about them earlier in this thread, as they are best known for their pies.

While looking over the menu, I took a few photos of key things on the menu.  The waitress spied me doing this and exclaimed loudly, "You're taking photos of the menu!"  Sheesh, if doing this got a reaction, wait until the pies show up!

This was my first visit for breakfast and will probably be the last, because it was not good.  The biscuits and gravy were bland and didn't taste homemade, while the ham and cheese omelet was just okay. 

No big deal, as this

was the main reason for the visit.  It is always tough trying to decide when there are so many options, but they have the pies on display in their own separate room, so I got up to see what looked good.  The custard pie caught my eye, as did a fresh peach pie, but the tall meringue on the coconut jumped out at me.  The waitress walked and asked if she could cut me a slice and I immediately asked for that coconut.  Only it wasn't coconut, but lemon meringue.  Now there was a dilemma, because I don't think I have ever had a good lemon meringue.  They always taste too sweet and artificial.  I then asked if a great looking cream pie in another section of the case was coconut and she no, it was peanut butter.  So that became choice #1.  Now to decide between that custard and the fresh peach. 

And I think this custard

was a wrong choice.  Solid crust and a nice amount of cinnamon, but the custard filling needs to be firmer.  Luckily the peanut butter,

with the subtle flavored and not too sweet filling, along with a great, buttery crust was a real winner!

There was some thought to visit Bush's Restaurant in Logan, OH, which has been highly touted by Michael Hoffman and lleechef, but decided to save that for a day when we could dine there together.

Next stop was Bonnie's Home Cooking in tiny Glouster.  I drove through this town several years ago and on a hunch, stopped in.  They did make their own pie and we grabbed a slice of chocolate cream to go, which turned out to be outstanding.  The hope was to return someday and eat a full meal.

Walking in, the place was mostly empty and I could see a list of about a half dozen pies on the specials board.  Not knowing if I should wait to be seated or not, I stood there for just a few seconds and saw a young waitress walking towards me.  Greeting her with a hello, she looked at me and then walked right past me without saying a word.  That's all I needed to know and the thoughts of her waiting on me was enough to turn around and leave.

Not off to a great start so far, but surely things will get better, right? 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/10 21:44:44 (permalink)
One of the main reasons for this trip was to visit a place I have really enjoyed in the past, Miller's Chicken in Athens.  The hope was to get some better photos to write a Roadfood review. 

Driving down State Street, I could see the building, but was surprised to see the parking lot empty.  This is strange, because this place is immensely popular with locals and Ohio University students and it was right in the middle of lunch time.  And then a bad feeling came over me.  Yup.....

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2942
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/10 21:58:44 (permalink)
There ought to be a name for that!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/10 22:00:55 (permalink)
CTD-
That's a great idea!  Any suggestions?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/10 22:03:45 (permalink)
How's about WJ'D  ???
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/10 22:11:37 (permalink)
I don't get it.  What does a closed restaurant have to do with Walter Johnson?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/10 22:14:52 (permalink)

buffetbuster
I don't get it.  What does a closed restaurant have to do with Walter Johnson?

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6387
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/11 17:30:15 (permalink)
Peggy Sue's Steak & Ribs

My pie order would be:

Chocolate
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Custard
Lemon Merengue
Banananananaa Cream
Reeses
Apple Crumb Top
Blueberry Crumb Top
Cherry Crumb Top
Fresh Peach
Fresh Strawberry

Hmmmm what would be a good name for going to a restaurant that is supposed to be open only to find it closed.....  Hmmmm  I know how about being "roadhoused"
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/12 07:49:44 (permalink)
CK-
Seeing how your top two choices include chocolate, can I assume you voted pie in the latest Roadfood poll?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5076
Re:Visiting Main Street Ohio 2014/08/12 09:11:21 (permalink)
CajunKing
Hmmmm what would be a good name for going to a restaurant that is supposed to be open only to find it closed.....  Hmmmm  I know how about being "roadhoused"
More like "roadhosed"...
Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1