Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/05/18 22:48:25 (permalink)

Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger

Now that the Lakers have advanced to the conference finals against the Denver Nuggets, I will be returning to Denver to watch them play games 3 and 4 and take care of two unfinished food related errands left undone during my first ever visit to Denver last August during the DNC.  My wife and I got a tremendous package deal for the 2 games and lodging due to our friendship with a former Laker and Nugget player/coach that we've known since he was a high school standout here in the City of Roses

Item number one is we're going to their  local small  pizza chain that makes Rocky Mountain pizza, see the pizza section for details and a link

Item number two is the site of the former old school hamburger stand that served the first ever cheeseburger back in the mid-1920s, according to legend to satisfy a habitual daily customer who asked to see if they could prepare his hambuger differently to avoid boredom and the cook seeing some cheese slapped a slice of cheese on the burger and voila, the world's first chesseburger. The stand closed down in the late 70s succumbing to the growth of the chain burger joints but there is a plaque to commemorate the occasion and my wife and I want to take a photo standing by the historical marker

She also wants a photo in front of the Molly Brown Mansion-Museum, those 3 thing were left undone duing our last visit.

12 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10235
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2009/05/19 14:00:57 (permalink)
    I thought the recently closed Kaelin's in Louisville invented the cheeseburger!
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2009/05/19 14:33:23 (permalink)
    Humpty Dumpty Barrel Drive-In of Denver is one of the restaurants credited with the invention of the cheeseburger.  Supposedly, the owner of the Humpty Dumpty even trademarked the term "cheeseburger" in 1935!  Kaelin's is also credited with the invention, as are others.  Who knows?

jbs780
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2009/05/19 16:02:14 (permalink)

Ok, let's get Travel Channel and Food Network busy on this one!     
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4214
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2009/05/19 16:05:56 (permalink)
    I did a Denver radio talk show appearance some years ago and made inquiries with the local foodies as to the veracity of the claim that someone in Denver had "invented" the Cheeseburger.  In spite of my offer of a free set of Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauces, not one single person knew anything about this story.  I'm not sure where I'd heard this tale, but I've heard it more than once.  And yet, nobody has ever been able to back up the story with any facts.

jonjax, if you find that plaque commemorating the first Cheeseburger (and any other factual data for that matter), please make a point of photographing it and posting it here so we can all learn about the legend.

Thanks and have a great trip,

Buddy
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2009/05/19 23:19:06 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

I did a Denver radio talk show appearance some years ago and made inquiries with the local foodies as to the veracity of the claim that someone in Denver had "invented" the Cheeseburger.  In spite of my offer of a free set of Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauces, not one single person knew anything about this story.  I'm not sure where I'd heard this tale, but I've heard it more than once.  And yet, nobody has ever been able to back up the story with any facts.

jonjax, if you find that plaque commemorating the first Cheeseburger (and any other factual data for that matter), please make a point of photographing it and posting it here so we can all learn about the legend.

Thanks and have a great trip,

Buddy

During our visit to Denver last August for the DNC our local contact was a close friend of our neighbors whom we accompanied to Denver, worked for a Denver Historical Society and told us about that bit of trivia as well as others concerning the Denver omelette, the Denver Boot, the ice cream soda, shredded wheat, cable TV, the water Pik, apple n spice doughnuts and other supposeded firsts or creations made in Denver. He was a wealth of information about the city, region and state history, the Black Cowboy Museum is in Denver and it chock full of amazing history despite its humble victorian home location in the traditional Black neighborhood of Denver that was the former home of the only female black dotor/surgeon in the entire Rocky Mountain region. he hipped us to Molly Brown Facts and legends, the Brown Palace, the KKK prominence pre-1940 and so much more  Anyway here's a photo he shared with us about the first cheeseburger site plaque
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyandnina/1662171203/

Here are 2 links with great info about the 3 places vying for the title of the first cheeseburger location

www.culturefreak.com/tale.html
    http://books.google.com/books?id=9kCrDFlW8GsC&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=Humpty+Dumpty+Barrel+Drive-In+of+Denver&source=bl&ots=YY2BFprLEN&sig=C9PZyMeRxUq3MstbODlenNwweJ4&hl=en&ei=wG0TSoG4G6fgsgPqpLXqDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#PPA63,M1

jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2009/05/24 16:48:28 (permalink)
    Talk about coincidental, after arising  on Sunday morning to a stay in breakfast and the morning paper, I turn to the Denver Post's Perspective section and lo and behold there is an article about the creation of the first cheeseburger here in Denver. here's the link http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_12424325 
    however, the on line article doesn't inlcude the great photo of the establishment that is in the newspaper. I am taking the paper home with us and then I'll scan it and post it with the other photos I will be taking later this afternoon when we visit the site of this eatery as was in our plans to do when we left Pasadena Friday afternoon

The Lakers which is our main reason for being here won the game last night, even though we were in Laker gear the fans were very friendly as we find it to be all over this wonderful city. We are going to have a feast of Rocky Mountain pizza for dinner tonight up in the main location of Beau Jo's in the old mining town of Idaho Springs about an hour west of Denver up in the Rockies.
    http://www.beaujos.com/index.html
    swvadon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2010/02/21 20:14:00 (permalink)
    Never thought about trying a peanut butter burger. I always use peanut butter in my chili, but I'll have to try it on a burger, too...
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2010/03/12 11:40:19 (permalink)
    On the Travel Channel lately I've seen Louis' Lunch in New Haven, CT, credited as the first place to serve a hamburger. I'm sure someone threw some cheese on them at some point...

Regardless, I'm interested! 
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2010/03/27 08:21:17 (permalink)
    Wow,  first time I've read this discussion.  Kind of like who invented the Maid-Rite.  I've been to Kaelin's and they did indeed have a plaque on the building stating they invented the cheeseburger.  Something like a cheeseburger that is so ubiquitous would be hard to pin down to the original I would think.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2010/03/27 08:22:23 (permalink)
    At least I think everyone agrees that Doumar's, Hampton Roads area of VA, invented the ice cream cone.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3147
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2010/03/27 09:35:14 (permalink)
    I want a plaque honoring the first eater of an oyster!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:Visiting the site of the first ever cheeseburger 2010/03/28 03:54:34 (permalink)
    Are youze people Crazy??? EVERYONE knows the Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago is the Original Home of the "Cheezborgor"
    Cheezborger! Cheezborger!
    No fries, cheeps! No Pepsi, Coke!"
    End of Discussion!

http://www.billygoattavern.com/home.html
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/03/28 03:59:06
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1