The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Vita-Mix

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
Vita-Mix Fri, 08/15/03 7:56 PM (permalink)
I just splurged and purchased a Vita-Mix blender for my wife and I. Does anybody out there own/use a Vita-Mix and if so do you have any tips and/or recipes? I don't want this machine to turn into an expensive margarita mixer (although this may not be a bad thing).

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
    RE: Vita-Mix Sat, 08/16/03 5:35 PM (permalink)
    Then use cheap tequila; you'll have cheap margaritas. ;0)

I confess that I don't do much with mine other than blending frozen drinks. Thankfully, it's so vastly superior to even the best "normal" blenders at doing such that I feel completely justified spending that kind of cash for it. After all, I'm the kind of guy who *really* appreciates a blender drink after a rough day at the office. Come to think of it, my Vita-Mix *is* at the office, as we use it to demonstrate a particular phenomenon found in pumps....and we have killer 'ritas when the need arises.

I've tried the various ice cream/sorbet recipes made with the frozen fruit and sugar/cream/etc, dispensed through the nozzle, and it's a clever party trick, but my gelato machine does a better job with about 15 more minutes of waiting (and it's much quieter). I've heated up soups and cocoa with it (for those who don't know, Vita-Mix blenders put so much energy into the beaker that you can heat stuff up to steaming in a few minutes), and while the texture was certainly aerated, I can't say much for the method.

All in all, it's a superior solution for smoothies, blender drinks and demonstrating cavitation (boiling in fluids that results from the creation of a very low pressure zone behind the trailing edge of a rotating element), but I'm not sure how much else you can do with a blender that is so incredibly powerful.

Eric, Extremely Satisfied And Periodically Intoxicated Vita-Mix Owner.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Vita-Mix Sat, 08/16/03 9:26 PM (permalink)
      I have started making a couple of things in my blender the last few months that were shown to me by a guy with a Vita-Mix. I assume since you invested in a Vita-Mix you were planning on doing something with a "health" bend, so here goes:

Although I would have NEVER thought I would like this, I've been making a drink about once a week that consists of fresh organic greens and veggies.

Take a handful or two of fresh raw greens (various leaf lettuces, spinach, spring greens, etc.), add some filtered water, tomato, onion, a garlic clove or two, carrot, flaxseed or extra-virgin olive oil, and whatever else sounds good (beet, turnip, jicama; all veggie, no fruit) and mix it into a drink.

You don't want it super thick, but you don't want it watery, either. This is not "juicing", because you have all the natural fiber in there too. It makes a wonderful meal replacement, and it's GOT to be good for you.

Like I mentioned, it's not something I would have ever thought of doing myself. It sounded yucky before I drank some, but it's incredibly delicious (at least I think so). It's also more like a "meal" because you can actually "chew" each sip.

I also have done a similar thing using all fruit and some goat milk.

If you experiment and find something you really like, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I try to eat a "fair and balanced" diet , and I'm always looking for new tips.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Vita-Mix Sat, 08/16/03 10:16 PM (permalink)
        Bushie, Can I use it to drink a cheesesteak??

BigGlenn

RE: Vita-Mix Sun, 08/17/03 1:29 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Bushie

Although I would have NEVER thought I would like this, I've been making a drink about once a week that consists of fresh organic greens and veggies.

Take a handful or two of fresh raw greens (various leaf lettuces, spinach, spring greens, etc.), add some filtered water, tomato, onion, a garlic clove or two, carrot, flaxseed or extra-virgin olive oil, and whatever else sounds good (beet, turnip, jicama; all veggie, no fruit) and mix it into a drink.

Sounds like a V8 to me? LOL

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
            RE: Vita-Mix Sun, 08/17/03 9:08 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by CheeseWit

Bushie, Can I use it to drink a cheesesteak??

Yes, CW, just like the old "Bass-o-matic". Works for anything.

(CW is now on his Honeymoon with his VERY pretty bride, JaneDough.)

BigGlenn, it's even BETTER than a V8!

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
              RE: Vita-Mix Mon, 08/18/03 3:43 AM (permalink)
              Oh, I forgot; it's great at reducing ripe fruit to puree. For example, peaches for Bellinis.

Eric

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com